Jackie Groenen

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Jackie Groenen was the player that ran most/covered most distance in the entire whole world cup!

Thats really awesome and shows her ambition and what a hard worker she is. Not that anyone doubted that, but still remarkable stats. Very much looking forward to seeing her in the United shirt for a long time.

Top 3:

1. Jackie Groenen 74,1 km
2. Sherida Spitse 73.6 km
3. Kosovare Asllani 71.4 km
That's interesting. Her goal in the SF of course is the highlight that we'll remember. But it's nice to know the kind of energy she'll be injecting as well.

Lightbringer

That's interesting. Her goal in the SF of course is the highlight that we'll remember. But it's nice to know the kind of energy she'll be injecting as well.
Well, being swedish myself, for me Jackies goal was heartbreaking at first. But I am glad it was her anyway. And seeing her celebration was great, there are some awesome pictures from it, an absolute joy to watch them :-)

Side note: Sofia Jakobsson, who scored the superb 2-0 goal Vs England in the bronze match, does not have a contract. I think United should sign her, she was very good in the world cup and is extremely quick and would fit the United system perfectly.

I would not mind picking up Kosovare Asllani as well, whos contract is expiring soon. She is 29, and should have a few good years left. Obviously I am a bit biased being swedish, but I also have watched these players for years both in the national team and club teams in the swedish league before they went abroad so I know they are quality players.

RedPamie

Jakobsson... Yes please. Although Toni Duggan also available ;)

Back to Jackie, I'm happy we signed her, happy she had a good tournament. Think she and Hayley Ladd are just what we need in midfield. Looking forward to watching them.

Guys any news/gossips which TV got WSL rights? Or if MUTV getting games? I need to know before resubscribe.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Jakobsson... Yes please. Although Toni Duggan also available ;)

Back to Jackie, I'm happy we signed her, happy she had a good tournament. Think she and Hayley Ladd are just what we need in midfield. Looking forward to watching them.

Guys any news/gossips which TV got WSL rights? Or if MUTV getting games? I need to know before resubscribe.
They mentioned on Talksport that our first game against City was going to be on BT.

Lightbringer

So I saw on Manchester Uniteds Facebook feed yesterday evening that Jackie had officially arrived and had a photoshoot. The bizarre thing I had been on manutd.com several times during the day and read every article on the mens team. And the Groenen news were nowhere to be found. Only if you click on the womens team on the top page, the news is visible. Is that how little they are going to promote a big signing like Jackie? I am dissapointed.

They should put the womens team on the main website and treat it just as the mens team - even though they will have less content. Anything else is a letdown in my opinion. If they want to spark interest and grow the womens team, it needs to be promote properly.

If they are going to hide them on manutd.com, then create a new website for the womens team, as they have done on facebook.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I think they're scared of having more than one article about the women's team in the news page. This week the article was about Siobhan Chamberlain expecting a baby.

When they try to do any promotion through the main United Twitter and Facebook accounts, they get absolutely hammered by Neanderthal trolls. The good thing is that it looks like they're investing a bit more money/enthusiasm in the women's team Twitter account now.

I wouldn't want them to bump the women's team to a separate website though. I'm hoping that it'll gradually become normal to have women's team stories on the news pages. Though I guess they could also go down the track of giving it, it's own front door onto the site as needed.

Lightbringer

It's the WSL pre-season press day and it sounds like we'll be hearing some stuff from Jackie soon.

It sounds like the reporters enjoyed meeting her :D
Where can I read all the articles stemming from that press day? I assume there must have been plenty generated from it :-)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Where can I read all the articles stemming from that press day? I assume there must have been plenty generated from it :-)
They interviewed two players from each club on the media days - so they got a lot of material. They seem to have an embargo system in place though so that the reporters didn't just publish all the best quotes on the first day and forget the rest. It looks like the Jackie Groenen session is out today because the first articles are going up:

https://www.ourgamemag.com/2019/09/...and-her-return-to-the-fa-womens-super-league/
A good interview and lots of nice quotes, including:
“It has been really big,” she said. “You can imagine that in a club like Manchester United everything is massive and blown up, and everything is a big deal. That is one of the main reasons I picked Manchester United because I wanted to be part of an environment where everything matters. It is a winning club, you can feel that with everything, the atmosphere, but with that comes a lot of things obviously. I don’t mind it, I kind of like it, it’s one of the reasons I am here."

and on the derby:
“It is all we have been talking about for three weeks — ‘Let’s smash City, get that out of the way.’ It is not going to be the easiest game to start with, it is a big team and they have been doing well for years and in the Champions League as well, but it is a massive game for us. I always look at games one at a time, you can win any game, it doesn’t matter who it is.”

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff