Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I liked him dribbling and committing defenders before laying it off. Has potential to be an assist machine.

Siezard

Did Amad ever show any kind of playmaking ability?
Amad is too small. If he don't perform fast, he will be sent on loan indefinitely until sold.

Jadon is a baller. He's one of the best dribblers in the world!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
His touch and technique is absolutely superb. The way he absolutely kills the ball dead whilst receiving the ball in offensive transition is a joy to behold and demonstrates his high technical quality. I'd like to see Sancho and Amad behind Ronaldo and Mason in a 4222 formation in the near future. Amad is also very silky on the ball and has the potential to rival Sancho technically.
Was thinking something along these lines after the game myself. Amad and Sancho as two technically superb creators behind the strikers sounds like it could be excellent for breaking down low-blocks, it doesn't feel too dissimilar to when City had the two Silvas floating behind the striker. Due to their ages, they're both likely able to adapt to the high-intensity pressing system fairly easily as well.

romufc

Our most effective forward today. The decision to sub off Sancho and not Rashford was odd, but in the end didn’t hurt us.
I did think it was strange taking him off. If anything he looked like the one that was going to create something. First half he was certainly showing signs of the real Sancho, the one that played at Dortmund. I’d imagine he probably has cemented his role as a first team starter right now.
I have seen alot of this around , why did Sancho come off, its odd but its not is it?

If we have followed United recently, Sancho has barely played 90 mins for us, he played 90 min v Villareal, then looked gassed at Chelsea after an hour, then played 90 V Arsenal. Clearly we need to save legs too, he has had to do alot of running in those games, which is why we also saw his influence reduce in the 2nd half.

Sometimes its not just about why did he take x y z off, its to do with player workload too.

the_cliff

I have seen alot of this around , why did Sancho come off, its odd but its not is it?

If we have followed United recently, Sancho has barely played 90 mins for us, he played 90 min v Villareal, then looked gassed at Chelsea after an hour, then played 90 V Arsenal. Clearly we need to save legs too, he has had to do alot of running in those games, which is why we also saw his influence reduce in the 2nd half.

Sometimes its not just about why did he take x y z off, its to do with player workload too.
Good post. Sancho doesn't yet have the tank that Rashford has and it's understandable why it was him being taken off, Sancho will get there eventually, once he reaches his peak physical fitness he'll be unstoppable. The pace of the game in England does take a while to get used to and does require you to be in tip top shape.

romufc

Good post. Sancho doesn't yet have the tank that Rashford has and it's understandable why it was him being taken off, Sancho will get there eventually, once he reaches his peak physical fitness he'll be unstoppable. The pace of the game in England does take a while to get used to and does require you to be in tip top shape.
I think Sancho has a very good engine but he's hardly played 90 mins for us so its difficult to expect him to do it 5 in 2 weeks, I mean for any player thats difficult.

With Marcus, he was rested against Villareal and came off against Chelsea and Arsenal, so he had fresher legs to be played on.

Also, we have number of games coming up, we don't want to run our players to the ground either, we need to rotate.

the_cliff

I think Sancho has a very good engine but he's hardly played 90 mins for us so its difficult to expect him to do it 5 in 2 weeks, I mean for any player thats difficult.

With Marcus, he was rested against Villareal and came off against Chelsea and Arsenal, so he had fresher legs to be played on.

Also, we have number of games coming up, we don't want to run our players to the ground either, we need to rotate.
I think so too, it's just even with Dortmund he has struggled at the beginning of the season in terms of fitness, but he does get it going especially towards the end of the season, which is when we'll need him the most tbh.

romufc

I think so too, it's just even with Dortmund he has struggled at the beginning of the season in terms of fitness, but he does get it going especially towards the end of the season, which is when we'll need him the most tbh.
Exactly, I am just happy to see him playing well and starting to show glimpses. He's going to be a key player for us.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Happy that he's performing better now and is seen in a more positive light now. I watched a compilation of his highlights against Crystal Palace and I thought that he looked much more like the player he used to be for Dortmund. The cutting in from the left, passes into the box, little one twos and flicks to open up passing lanes with little space..

I'm excited to see what Rangnick and his coaching staff can get out of him. Think if Rangnick works out at United, it's only a matter of time until the fans fall in love with Sancho. He's probably not the typical, pacey right winger they expected but it's impossible to dislike his playing style, IMO. A bit like a much more likeable version of Neymar.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Was thinking something along these lines after the game myself. Amad and Sancho as two technically superb creators behind the strikers sounds like it could be excellent for breaking down low-blocks, it doesn't feel too dissimilar to when City had the two Silvas floating behind the striker. Due to their ages, they're both likely able to adapt to the high-intensity pressing system fairly easily as well.
This is what excites me mate, and I'm hopeful we get a glimpse of things midweek against Young Boys.

Andersons Dietician

I don’t feel like he stepped off which is why I found it strange especially when others looked more fatigued if that was the reasoning. However might be saving him for the upcoming games.

romufc

I don’t feel like he stepped off which is why I found it strange especially when others looked more fatigued if that was the reasoning. However might be saving him for the upcoming games.
I think its a matter of the whole team stepped off and looked fatigued. Sancho has played alot of minutes recently, its also an area of the pitch we have most options.

A week rest would do him good, I hope he doesn't start on Wednesday.

lex talionis

The match was still on the knife’s edge and Sancho looked much more likely to create a scoring chance than Rashford when he was subbed off. A 1-0 lead when we’ve struggled to keep clean sheets all season is a lead that makes me nervous.

But all’s well that ends well and we’re finally, after all these years, in the hands of manager which knows what he’s doing and has the interest of the club as his top priority.

romufc

The match was still on the knife’s edge and Sancho looked much more likely to create a scoring chance than Rashford when he was subbed off. A 1-0 lead when we’ve struggled to keep clean sheets all season is a lead that makes me nervous.

But all’s well that ends well and we’re finally, after all these years, in the hands of manager which knows what he’s doing and has the interest of the club as his top priority.
I appreciate that but this is what we have also criticised Ole for? Not trusting his squad? So I am not going to complain with Rangnick trusting his squad.

People also act as if we brought on someone like Nketiah, we brought on Greenwood, who was one of our better players at the start of the season.

Teja

His touch and technique is absolutely superb. The way he absolutely kills the ball dead whilst receiving the ball in offensive transition is a joy to behold and demonstrates his high technical quality. I'd like to see Sancho and Amad behind Ronaldo and Mason in a 4222 formation in the near future. Amad is also very silky on the ball and has the potential to rival Sancho technically.
I really hope so as well. I guess Elanga did really well in training so he deserves the shot against YB but I'm really hoping Amad gets some minutes as well.

lex talionis

I appreciate that but this is what we have also criticised Ole for? Not trusting his squad? So I am not going to complain with Rangnick trusting his squad.

People also act as if we brought on someone like Nketiah, we brought on Greenwood, who was one of our better players at the start of the season.
True, and as I wrote all’s well that ends well, but no one can deny that Sancho was clearly a superior to Rashford as an attacking threat and that the margin between the two sides was slim.

If Rashford were a pressing/defensive beast that would be one thing, but he was woeful in attack and defensively all game. There was nothing in his performance to that time that suggested he would be the one, not Sancho, who would conjure up a chance. But it may well be that RR saw physical deterioration in Sancho, in which case then the decision to sub him off and not Rashford was obvious.

Or it may be that RR plans to start Sancho and not Rashford for Young Boys, thus the substitution. Perfectly sensible, but we needed the three points v Palace much more than we need the three points v Young Boys.

romufc

True, and as I wrote all’s well that ends well, but no one can deny that Sancho was clearly a superior to Rashford as an attacking threat and that the margin between the two sides was slim.

If Rashford were a pressing/defensive beast that would be one thing, but he was woeful in attack and defensively all game. There was nothing in his performance to that time that suggested he would be the one, not Sancho, who would conjure up a chance. But it may well be that RR saw physical deterioration in Sancho, in which case then the decision to sub him off and not Rashford was obvious.

Or it may be that RR plans to start Sancho and not Rashford for Young Boys, thus the substitution. Perfectly sensible, but we needed the three points v Palace much more than we need the three points v Young Boys.

I agree with you.

I think Rashford has been out of form for a while, he sometimes doesnt look bothered, he keeps running into a blind alley, tries taking on 3/4 players instead of passing, not sure what is up with him tbh.

I wouldn't want to see Sancho start tbh, he's played alot, the game doesn't mean much, rather have him fresh for Norwich.

lex talionis

I agree with you.

I think Rashford has been out of form for a while, he sometimes doesnt look bothered, he keeps running into a blind alley, tries taking on 3/4 players instead of passing, not sure what is up with him tbh.

I wouldn't want to see Sancho start tbh, he's played alot, the game doesn't mean much, rather have him fresh for Norwich.
I'd actually like to see Sancho start v Young Boys, but only play the first half. I suppose I should start giving this some thought as the match is coming up quickly, but I believe the CL allows 5 substitutions this season and if that's the case, pending fitness, this:

Henderson
Dalot Bailly Mengi Telles
Matic Donny
Greenwood Mata
Sancho Elanga

Hard to say who's close to being fit (Cavani?) but several players definitely need games like Bailly, Donny and Greenwood. But I think we can squeeze in a decent half out of Sancho before subbing him off for Amad. I suppose the larger question is whether RR has his second (or third?) press like gegen (I'm told by a native German but who does not follow football closely that the term "gegenpressing" is a literal redundancy, equivalent to saying "pressingpressing" in English) monsters for a game we don't need to win...or is the objective for this game all about instilling his philosophy deep into the squad?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'd actually like to see Sancho start v Young Boys, but only play the first half. I suppose I should start giving this some thought as the match is coming up quickly, but I believe the CL allows 5 substitutions this season and if that's the case, pending fitness, this:

Henderson
Matic Donny
Greenwood Mata
Sancho Elanga

Hard to say who's close to being fit (Cavani?) but several players definitely need games like Bailly, Donny and Greenwood. But I think we can squeeze in a decent half out of Sancho before subbing him off for Amad. I suppose the larger question is whether RR has his second (or third?) press like gegen (I'm told by a native German but who does not follow football closely that the term "gegenpressing" is a literal redundancy, equivalent to saying "pressingpressing" in English) monsters for a game we don't need to win...or is the objective for this game all about instilling his philosophy deep into the squad?
Two things about your post:

Sancho would be wasted as part of the front two. He is a playmaker. And Greenwood would be wasted in the 10 position, he is a striker. So you need to exchange those two at least.

And your native German doesn't know what the meaning of "Gegenpressing" is: "Pressing" in the traditional sense is a way of defending. The team sets up in/retreats into its defensive formation and then shift around to apply pressure on the other team. Traditionally most teams start pressing around the middle of the pitch and pressing is something that happens in a static state of the game (one team has the ball, the other is chasing it and tries to win it due to pressing).

"Gegenpressing"/"Counterpressing" however was coined as a term to describe that the team that loses the ball does not retreat back into its defensive formation, but instead immediately press the opponent. So this is something happening in a transitioning phase of the game, as a counter reaction to a ball loss. Quite naturally this results in a higher pressing and therefore is often synonymous used without having a clear definition. The implication of this is that your attacking shape must be one that works well to apply pressure, so in a way you are not allowed to give up your defensive shape while attacking.

skc_18

One thing surprised me most was his pace. In the counter-attack goal we missed against Arsenal ( would have been a Meme had it gone in , along with 2 other counter-attacking goals we have against them), his pace was pretty good. Not Rashford level pace, but definitely equal or better than Greenwood or Martial.

lex talionis

Two things about your post:

Sancho would be wasted as part of the front two. He is a playmaker. And Greenwood would be wasted in the 10 position, he is a striker. So you need to exchange those two at least.

And your native German doesn't know what the meaning of "Gegenpressing" is: "Pressing" in the traditional sense is a way of defending. The team sets up in/retreats into its defensive formation and then shift around to apply pressure on the other team. Traditionally most teams start pressing around the middle of the pitch and pressing is something that happens in a static state of the game (one team has the ball, the other is chasing it and tries to win it due to pressing).

"Gegenpressing"/"Counterpressing" however was coined as a term to describe that the team that loses the ball does not retreat back into its defensive formation, but instead immediately press the opponent. So this is something happening in a transitioning phase of the game, as a counter reaction to a ball loss. Quite naturally this results in a higher pressing and therefore is often synonymous used without having a clear definition. The implication of this is that your attacking shape must be one that works well to apply pressure, so in a way you are not allowed to give up your defensive shape while attacking.
Thanks for the great post!

My friend is actually my daughter's fiance and he's finally able to go back home as he hasn't been back to Neunkirchen since before the pandemic. Anyway, he's vaguely aware of football but nothing more than that Bayern is a big club, etc. No idea on tactics whatsoever. His point was only that the term itself as a grammatical matter is a bit odd, something like you or I saying "soccerfutbol" (I speak Spanish but speak no German.) One is always pressing "against" something when pressing, at least presumably. However, you have explained that in German that in the context of football that "pressing" is understood to mean traditional defending in a low block. In that light the addition of the modifying word "gegen" to articulate the sense of pressing higher up the pitch than the traditional "pressing" in a low block, means something anew that would not be readily imagined by someone who doesn't follow football closely.

As for Young Boys, we have fitness issues and we have needed rest issues and we have the fortunate circumstance of not needing a win. We know who needs to sit out for one reason or another, but we also can't have an XI full of Amad and Mengis against YB, although it would be great to see Shoretire get a start. We'll see.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Thanks for the great post!

My friend is actually my daughter's fiance and he's finally able to go back home as he hasn't been back to Neunkirchen since before the pandemic. Anyway, he's vaguely aware of football but nothing more than that Bayern is a big club, etc. No idea on tactics whatsoever. His point was only that the term itself as a grammatical matter is a bit odd, something like you or I saying "soccerfutbol" (I speak Spanish but speak no German.) One is always pressing "against" something when pressing, at least presumably. However, you have explained that in German that in the context of football that "pressing" is understood to mean traditional defending in a low block. In that light the addition of the modifying word "gegen" to articulate the sense of pressing higher up the pitch than the traditional "pressing" in a low block, means something anew that would not be readily imagined by someone who doesn't follow football closely.

As for Young Boys, we have fitness issues and we have needed rest issues and we have the fortunate circumstance of not needing a win. We know who needs to sit out for one reason or another, but we also can't have an XI full of Amad and Mengis against YB, although it would be great to see Shoretire get a start. We'll see.
Pressing is not necessarily associated with a low block, it really is about the phase of play. Pressing is done when you don't have the ball, Counterpressing is done in the moment you lose the ball. If you lose the ball due to pressing, you can in a way say you are pressing against the other teams pressing.

The position on the pitch was just something I mentioned as an example, and I'd like to emphasize that a midfield pressing starts higher up the pitch then defending in a low block, so I didn't mean to talk about low blocks. Pressing is a way to defend, no matter where on the pitch the team does that.

romufc

Henderson
Matic Donny
Greenwood Mata
Sancho Elanga

I think he will use the squad and all his subs.

I don't see the point in Sancho starting given the games he has played and the games coming up, I think he is going to be crucial.

I would rather see players like Bruno and Rashford who actually need to be coached this system and get back into form.

I don't actually want to see Mata in the team, obviously if we have no one else then why not.

We have seen it with Klopp and Pep, the system is the system, be it A team or B team, they all have to buy into the system, all these players will have to do the same.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Moreover, it's a bit misleading that counter pressing is so closely associated with German coaching. As far as I know, the first team to really use counter pressing in abundance was Pep's Barca with his six second rule. Klopp in the beginning wasn't really about counter pressing but more about pressing 90 minutes high up the pitch. Tuchel, Klopp and co. adapted the counter pressing when they added more elements of possession football to their systems. I remember that Klopp's first title winning Dortmund teams was initially being lauded for how quick the whole team got behind the ball after a turnover in possession which is pretty much the exact opposite of what counter pressing is.

It's a bit strange, IMO, that the German term is used for it. A Spanish or Dutch term would probably be more "fitting".

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He is nowhere near as slow as made out to be by the way, I'm sure this narrative annoys him (that video he did on the Andorra game).

He is no Elanga, no Rashford but certainly no Mata. Pretty comparable with current Martial/Greenwood I reckon.

I think his acceleration might be faster but sprint speed not as high.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He is nowhere near as slow as made out to be by the way, I'm sure this narrative annoys him (that video he did on the Andorra game).

He is no Elanga, no Rashford but certainly no Mata. Pretty comparable with current Martial/Greenwood I reckon.

I think his acceleration might be faster but sprint speed not as high.
Greenwood and Sancho seem fast when they run with the ball but not as fast off the ball :houllier:

Maybe I’ve just made that up but that’s how it seems to me.

NoLogo

I think its a matter of the whole team stepped off and looked fatigued. Sancho has played alot of minutes recently, its also an area of the pitch we have most options.

A week rest would do him good, I hope he doesn't start on Wednesday.
I think a lot of the time tiring is that we aren't used to press for extended periods. Unfortunately working on fitness during this period of the season is going to be hard, players will have to get there by playing games I reckon, but yeah some tired legs are bound to happen this season. Hope we go into the next season with a clear plan on how to get the entire squad fit and ready to press for 90 minutes.

Norwich 0:1 Man Utd

Bobski

Some were very surprised by the sub but he was tidily ineffective. Rashford was shit yes, but he kept making penetrative runs, stretching the play, execution was appalling though.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Was unlucky to be taken off when Rashford got to stay on.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Absolutely our best player. Bizarre to sub him off.
I see a comment like this nearly every game he plays when in reality he's had 2-3 good games for us.

Don't get me wrong, I highly rate him from his time in Germany, but he hasn't shown anything in a United shirt warranting this type of praise.

Rashford was by far the bigger threat. Ronaldo and Bruno have a lot of cred. Sub made sense.

saivet

Some were very surprised by the sub but he was tidily ineffective. Rashford was shit yes, but he kept making penetrative runs, stretching the play, execution was appalling though.
For balance of the front line I don't think we can afford him to be so loose in possession. Bruno, Rashford and Ronaldo lost the ball a ridiculous number of times, especially in the first half. I thought Sancho was okay (6/10) but he was at least doing the basics right and trying to link play without overdoing it.

kundalini

Anonymous again. 2 key passes. Didn't give the ball away as much as the other 3 attacking players, so that's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.