View full 2021-22 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always going to be a hard cap on how good you can be as a wide player in this league if you don't have top level pace.

Against Burnley we had a quick counter attack that resulted in this situation:
It ended up like this a few seconds later:
Salah, Mane...hell even Raphinha, St.Maximin - the majority of wide men in the league - end up with a 1v1 here.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s a bit of a fecking worry that Sancho (and Greenwood’s) pressing and tackle/interception stats weren’t much better than the geriatrics up front. Either Ralf can’t get through what he wants from them or they’re listening and can’t be arsed. Either scenario is a big problem.

Hughes35

There is something I like about him. He just looks like he has some class somewhere in there.

Having said that he really isn't performing. Has he always lacked a yard of pace?

I'm trying not to judge players like Sancho when as a club we have killed talent for some years now.

Bestietom

It’s a bit of a fecking worry that Sancho (and Greenwood’s) pressing and tackle/interception stats weren’t much better than the geriatrics up front. Either Ralf can’t get through what he wants from them or they’re listening and can’t be arsed. Either scenario is a big problem.
I agree. There is something very very wrong in this club.

JoaquinJoaquin

Isn't this said every time we sign a player? Sancho was the answer to our right wing. Varane was going to complete our defense. Ronaldo was going to complete our attack. When we bought Pogba he was going to massively improve our midfield.

Not a single player would significantly improve this team. The team is a shambles and anyone coming in to it right now would slowly get pulled down to the same level as the rest of them until their confidence is shot to pieces.

I honestly believe we need to be incredibly prudent and savy with our money and buy several cheaper, lesser known players who all fit a system and compliment each other, rather than blowing the entire budget on one or two £70m players.

Signing Rice, in my honest opinion, would be a terrible mistake right now
I didn't say he was the sole answer. But we do need 2 CM players desperately, so him alongside someone else would make a massive difference to us. We are laughably spineless in the middle of midfield, and teams know that is how to expose us. McTominay is too one paced and poor on the ball (overall nowhere near good enough), Matic is too old and Fred cannot do everything on his own.

Bestietom

I didn't say he was the sole answer. But we do need 2 CM players desperately, so him alongside someone else would make a massive difference to us. We are laughably spineless in the middle of midfield, and teams know that is how to expose us. McTominay is too one paced and poor on the ball (overall nowhere near good enough), Matic is too old and Fred cannot do everything on his own.
I agree 100%. We need 2 midfielders this month. We have been run ragged by teams at the lower end of the league all season. There are loads of DM available that we can bring in now for little money. It might also be a good Idea to bring in a forward. But certainly midfield is a priority.

AlexUTD

Always going to be a hard cap on how good you can be as a wide player in this league if you don't have top level pace.

Salah, Mane...hell even Raphinha, St.Maximin - the majority of wide men in the league - end up with a 1v1 here.
I did not see anyone complain about Sancho`s pace when he scored in the counter attack against Chelsea. He has enough class to finish off big chances, not every situation is the same. P.S Where the feck are the other attackers in the situation? they should bomb forward and help Sancho by playing one touch or just make space for him.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Hmm, on FIFA yeah. I've seen countless times where Mane, Salah have been caught up in similar situations. What helps them though is..they got friggin support ! where dafuq is Sancho's support here ? Old man Ronaldo? and he's out of the picture in the 2nd screenshot.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Who’s running down the opposite wing? If Sancho is supposed to be as slow as you imply and has already checked back in the second image, why the hell is there nobody else in red anywhere in sight?!?

Bestietom

Ronaldo was through on goal last night and no one in sight to pass it to, so he had to try himself and just went wide of the post.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Simply put our counter-attacks, the strongest element of the previous regime, have gone to sh*t this season.

Who’s running down the opposite wing? If Sancho is supposed to be as slow as you imply and has already checked back in the second image, why the hell is there nobody else in red anywhere in sight?!?
Pretty sure it's Greenwood.

It's not my screenshot. Maybe @GifLord can bless us with a video?

I just remembered it because it stuck out during the match. Burnley had a corner, so Ronaldo (and basically everyone else) was back defending it. We cleared it to the halfway line, fell perfectly to Greenwood who played in Sancho. From memory Greenwood didn't exactly bust a gut to get up with Sancho, but Ronaldo made up a shit load of ground from our own box and eventually got there to offer Sancho an overlap. Think Sancho ended up trying a backheel or something and it didn't quite come off. I'll see if I can find a video.

@FrankDrebin

Frank White

What do people mean when they say “try anything outrageous“?

I don’t think he’s half as bad as people are making out. Most likely people only looking at one aspect of his game and not seeing the presses or sprints back to help defend or him constantly moving in to space to recieve the ball and constantly scanning the pitch before he even receives the ball to see where he can pass next. Things not many of our other players do.

The one issue I would say is that right now what he was bought for hasn’t really been working out for him and when he’s had to play the delicate slipped ball he has failed in his execution or when trying to beat a man he has lost it sloppily.

Genuingly I’m not worried about him and think if we can get back to pressing high then he’ll be fine.
Was just looking over his defensive stats for the Wolves game to see if I'm being overly harsh on him but unless I'm missing something he had 4 more pressures than Ronaldo and Mason and 4 less than Cavani who had 18. He succeeded in 4 and had 1 tackle + interception. Not a numbers guy but not exactly stand out stats are they?

Josh 76

I’m getting bored of being right again. Said it at the time, most over rated player I’ve seen in a long time. What a waste of a signing.

Will be another Lingard.

RUCK4444

I’m getting bored of being right again. Said it at the time, most over rated player I’ve seen in a long time. What a waste of a signing.

Will be another Lingard.
Hard to argue with his output at Dortmund though. It's not a case of him being a terrible player, he's come into a side performing shockingly bad, we've had little to zero chemistry all season. Sancho is the type of player who needs to link with his teammates, he had the likes of Hakimi to link up with constantly at Dortmund, right now he is indeed performing badly but he's part of the greater collective issues.

He's not super quick so counter attack isn't his strong point and likewise we cannot seemingly retain possession against the relegation level sides within the league, let alone sustain attacks. We can't string two passes together.

CraftySoAndSo

He's young, never played Premier League football before and his first season the club is in complete disarray. We shouldn't jump to conclusions, he's obviously talented as shown at Dortmund and has had moments here as well, but overall he hasn't been good enough yet. But to write him off already is absurd considering no one is performing well.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
At least Kagawa scored a hattrick once, and if I remember correctly, Kagawa looked a lot more versatile and classy than Sancho does.
I take this back. Kagawa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Current form Sancho.

Pirlo'sBeard

There's a class player there. He's 21 and has come into a dysfunctional side. Most players would struggle in our team at the moment. Nobody is playing well other than De Gea. Once we get a bit of good form, that's when he'll settle in properly and start to shine.

passing-wind

I think the pace argument is redundant, if a player has good close control which is what Sancho has. Dan James had all the pace in the league but couldn't make use of it, it's not everything and especially in this modern game. How many times this season has a team been solely undone by pace, the modern game of football is far more compressed due to pressing and counter pressing, players don't have 5 yards to run at defenders like the league 10+ years ago.

I think one thing all of the attacking players lack bar maybe Ronaldo is confidence. Confidence to take on a man and perhaps the coaching instructions of what to do in attacking phases when facing up defenders. Look how Pep had transformed the likes of Sterling as a wide player, the club need a pro active manager with good coaches to lead the players forward.

Also the creativity from the likes of Chilwell / James or Robertson and Trent. The world class managers of today are totally revolutionising the use of their wide play and we are still fixated with speed as the only thing viable. United need a top manager with modern ideas more than anything else get the foundations right than worry about the attributes in order to build around it.

yamo123x

He looks totally shot of confidence. He looks lost..........still have high hopes for him but he went through stages like this at Dortmund...very much a confidence player but it is very hard to have any confidence training and playing alongside his miserable mates Rashfood and Lingard, and having zero midfield or creatvitiy around him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He has an excellent agent getting 350 a week on his first deal here. I’m convinced that the money weighs heavily on the players too and creates a vicious circle mentality. I’m sure Sancho fully knows he’s currently not worth anywhere neat 350 in this league. I’m sure he can see plenty of his team mates aren’t worth their money either. After a while all you can do is shrug your shoulders and take the money and trot out lines about needing to improve. I’d say he’s embarrassed by what he and his team mates are serving up. 350 a week for a young player. What’s he going to charge us in his prime?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He has an excellent agent getting 350 a week on his first deal here. I’m convinced that the money weighs heavily on the players too and creates a vicious circle mentality. I’m sure Sancho fully knows he’s currently not worth anywhere neat 350 in this league. I’m sure he can see plenty of his team mates aren’t worth their money either. After a while all you can do is shrug your shoulders and take the money and trot out lines about needing to improve. I’d say he’s embarrassed by what he and his team mates are serving up. 350 a week for a young player. What’s he going to charge us in his prime?
Yep that’s a big issue. Generous undeserved wages (and huge transfer fees) for everyone started in the LvG era - or maybe even with Moyes when we gave a declining Rooney the 6-year contract.
Back then people said who cares, it’s not my money.
Well here we are. Rashford who is already on huge money and Greenwood will next demand Sancho money as well once they are offered a new contract.
Back then we needed to win several league titles and a treble before we finally agreed to make Keane and Becks league’s top earners.

BuzzKillington

I still think he'll come good to a degree, but probably not to the level we all hoped and thought. We probably should have just bought Hakimi instead and continued to play Mason on the right.

All I'll say is thank feck the club didn't listen to all the idiots on here who wanted us to cough up the full 120m Euros Dortmund originally wanted.

flameinthesun

His performances have been similar to his performances for England. Shows a few good touches here and there but in general struggles to make an impact. The most concerning thing isnt the lack of pace, but how poor his passing and crossing has been when thats supposed to be his strength.

Two things I think are affecting him. the lack of structure that dortmund had, he knew the pattern of the team, where his fullback would be, didnt really have to dribble past 1 or 2 players because the dortmund structure would let him do 1 2s etc. The second thing is the bundesliga is a naturally more open league with teams sitting higher up the pitch so naturally with more space it will be easier for him to pass and play through balls.

The annoying thing is the club/ole should have recognised what sancho needs to play good football (structure, players making runs, close players to play 1 2s), but it seems they either didn't really do their homework on him or threw their plans out the window for ronaldo.

Reactions: oates

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Cavani and Ronnie's fault Sancho is playing like crap because they don't finish (non-existing) chances :lol:

Just when you thought you've read it all...
I am not sure what game you watched but if you think Cavani and Ronaldo didn't have chances and they didn't waste loads of them away, you may want to check in with an eye doctor

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think he’s done really well against Bayern a few times, Barcelona, PSG etc. the talent is there. He was one of the most talented/highly rated English youth players ever and he certainly has more levels in him. You have to give the benefit of the doubt to a young lad settling in no matter how talented or expensive. He’s great mates with Rashford who looks like he’d rather be anywhere else. There’s obviously a lot going on behind the scenes that we don’t hear about. The spark isn’t there and as I said above, that kind of money or expectation can either spur you on or make you embarrassed and go into your shell. Laugh it off and keep picking up your cheque. Fingers crossed for him he gets through this sticky patch and shows us what he can really do

Frank White

I am not sure what game you watched but if you think Cavani and Ronaldo didn't have chances and they didn't waste loads of them away, you may want to check in with an eye doctor
Wait what Is this in regards to yesterdays game? If so we barely had a shot on target never mind creating clear cut chances and Sancho didn't create anything either way. feels like I watch a completely different game when it comes to Sancho apparently he's a pressing animal who's footballing IQ is so superior he doesn't have to actually complete a pass because he so clear to are other players they're not worthy of receiving such a intelligent pass and that's why he fecks up so many 3 yard passes.

Frank White

He looks totally shot of confidence. He looks lost..........still have high hopes for him but he went through stages like this at Dortmund...very much a confidence player but it is very hard to have any confidence training and playing alongside his miserable mates Rashfood and Lingard, and having zero midfield or creatvitiy around him.
He also trains with serial winners in Varane and Ronaldo yet he's putting in performances that wouldn't look out of place in league 2.

El-Manos

He was starting to find some form but now he is back to square one. I'm not worried about him as everybody is currently struggling, he will get there. I just hope Ragnick appoints the right manager in the summer so we can start to progress.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
He was starting to find some form but now he is back to square one. I'm not worried about him as everybody is currently struggling, he will get there. I just hope Ragnick appoints the right manager in the summer so we can start to progress.
Get where?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Pretty sure it's Greenwood.

It's not my screenshot. Maybe @GifLord can bless us with a video?

I just remembered it because it stuck out during the match. Burnley had a corner, so Ronaldo (and basically everyone else) was back defending it. We cleared it to the halfway line, fell perfectly to Greenwood who played in Sancho. From memory Greenwood didn't exactly bust a gut to get up with Sancho, but Ronaldo made up a shit load of ground from our own box and eventually got there to offer Sancho an overlap. Think Sancho ended up trying a backheel or something and it didn't quite come off. I'll see if I can find a video.

@FrankDrebin

Bobski

Sancho has very good acceleration but lacks top end speed over distance. Means he is very good in combination play high up the pitch playing give and goes, but is not going to break the game open from deep in our own half like guys like Giggs could do.

Also have to take into account the insanely high lines that some German teams have played in recent years, with slower defenders making it easier for him to make those short bursts that he is good at into dangerous areas.

He has been poor, sloppy with his touch, lack of intensity and urgency in his play. Had plenty of chances at this point as well, next season he needs to come prepared, in much better shape than he started this, wasn't good enough after a big transfer and massive wages.

Gavinb33

Sancho hasn't played well at all infact it's safe to say Dan James had better games than the best Sancho games thus far.

He needs to pick it up, but then so do many of the other players and its probably been hard to come into an underperforming team

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

That one was a shocker. It was also a well paced ball, not a pass that would have thrown him out of balance. You expect any winger to be able to go 1v1 there, from what I recall Burnley’s defenders aren’t particularly fast either.

Status
Not open for further replies.