5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

He will play most of his games from the right wing for us. Don’t be fooled by his cameo appearance on the weekend.

Kaos

I think he will play left more at the start with Rashford being out
Depends on Martial tbh. I think Ole will play Tony on the left where he's more comfortable, with Sancho on the right and Greenwood as CF. Though when Cavani returns to the team I can see Mason being shifted right and Sancho playing on the left.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Depends on Martial tbh. I think Ole will play Tony on the left where he's more comfortable, with Sancho on the right and Greenwood as CF. Though when Cavani returns to the team I can see Mason being shifted right and Sancho playing on the left.
You might be right but will depend on martials fitness

Red Royal

Pogba took up that LW spot, albeit he had license to drift. So given Pogbas amazing performance I don't think Ole will change that left hand side after 1 game. I see Sancho starting on RW on Sunday. Through the season I expect a lot more rotation as we go along.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pogba took up that LW spot, albeit he had license to drift. So given Pogbas amazing performance I don't think Ole will change that left hand side after 1 game. I see Sancho starting on RW on Sunday. Through the season I expect a lot more rotation as we go along.
Pogba was really good there last season too, I think Solskjaer really fancies him in that role. I think competition for spots will be fierce this season. Isn't it nice to have a bit of quality depth for a change?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nothing's been confirmed yet at all, but Sancho's games are near enough split even on the left and right, so it's hardly a surprise to see him play on the left already. He'll play wherever depending on fitness and form.

romufc

I don't get why people are so worried where he will play. We have a player that can play both RW and LW comfortably. If we need a RW he will play there, if we need a LW he will play there and if we need a CAM, he can play there too.

Chief123

I think he will play left more at the start with Rashford being out
I think while Rashford is out we will see a lot of Pogba on the left with Sancho on the right. If it’s a weaker team we may revert to Pogba in a midfield 2 with Sancho on the left. However, once Rashford is back I’ve no doubt majority of Sancho’s playing time will be from the right wing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If it weren't for the injury he would have been heavily involved. Cavani cannot keep up with the number of games due to age and Greenwood will struggle with teams that we need hold up play.
Of course I might be wrong but that's my opinion though. We will wait and see.
I think Martial will be given the chance to win his place back, but if he fails we may look at phasing him out.

Kaizane

I don't get why people are so worried where he will play. We have a player that can play both RW and LW comfortably. If we need a RW he will play there, if we need a LW he will play there and if we need a CAM, he can play there too.
Precisely, it's arbitrary.

Ole's clearly coaching the 3 forwards to have the freedom of the final 3rd and interchange within the game when they deem it advantageous to do so.

romufc

Precisely, it's arbitrary.

Ole's clearly coaching the 3 forwards to have the freedom of the final 3rd and interchange within the game when they deem it advantageous to do so.
Exactly, I dont know why people get so focused on one position.

Ole has said it on the weekend he wants a front 3 that are interchangeable. Having players comfortable playing numerous positions helps us so much in game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How nice is it that we've finally got competition for places? an attack of Pogba, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, Sancho, Martial should be more than enough for the 3 competitions.

Add in the likes of Mata/James/Lingard who can come in when required, we really do have some good attacking depth.

romufc

How nice is it that we've finally got competition for places? an attack of Pogba, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, Sancho, Martial should be more than enough for the 3 competitions.

Add in the likes of Mata/James/Lingard who can come in when required, we really do have some good attacking depth.
It does feel good. When you can rest 2 and the quality is still the same, We went into the weekend with James, who if playing with the others can do a job for a couple of games.

Even when it comes to League cup, we can throw in Elanga and the like just for experience.

marktan

He was okay against Southampton but the game showed what I've said is his biggest weakness from watching him a lot prior to his signing - he lacks explosive dribbling. Even with Dortmund against Champions league teams when faced one on one with the fullbacks he struggled to beat them consistently. It makes him predictable, when he gets the ball he'll always look to make a pass which means he gets closed down fast.

Don't get me wrong he has a great pass on him, excellent close control and can make a little space with his shimmies, but he doesn't have the explosiveness to beat players from a standing start nor does he make many runs in behind. It's a problem for us when we already have Pogba and Bruno playing for us at the same time who are excellent passers. Mason isn't the best dribbler either (he has pace but isn't very technical with his dribbling) so we still lack a proper dribbler that can stretch the full backs and create space. All the top teams usually have at least one or two of them - Nani and Ronaldo in our last great team, Mane for Liverpool, Bale for Real, Robben and Ribery, Messi and Neymar etc.

It'll help him having Rashford and Cavani back to help pick out their runs but he does play more like an AM out wide that an actual wide forward which is useful as a depth option but I'm not sure it'll help us close the gap to 1st.

Renegade

Yeah the reaction is way OTT. People need to adjust their expectations.

Expect a Havertz / Ziyech type season. Adjusting with glimpses of his quality throughout the season.

Also expect it to become apparent to everyone around half way through the season that his is better on the LW.

Sylar

He linked up well with AWB a couple of times. Then we just stopped doing that. Why? It makes no sense why our players stopped going down that side.

KennyBurner

Very unimpressed. Lacks a lot of pace and doesn’t have that directness many were claiming he had. He seems more like a playmaker than an actual winger. It’s also clear to see he prefers playing on the left which has once again shown we didnt solve our RW problem. Let’s give him a full game next week so he can get more accustomed to the league.

Erics_Collar

Jonathan Wilson reckons that Sancho was at his best for Dortmund with an attacking full back behind him.

Now, AWB has no problem getting forward. My problem would be how much of a decoy he is considering teams seem to be happy to let him have the ball whenever he wants it.

zurnalist

There was no delivery for him whatsoever. If the defense and midfield loses the possession 10 times in a row before the ball reaches him, there's not much a winger can do.

I get that he was in a really free role today, but awb reaaaaally needed support on the RW.
Often Sancho found himself in the same positions as bruno or greenwood. But with time this can be surely sorted.

Patience is key with new signings. Even with players with amazing talent like Sancho.

predator

Youth NITK
Hasn't the general consensus always been that he will need quite alot of time to settle in? Coming from a fluid, systematic team like dortmund to us is going to be a shock to the system for anyone not to mention the change from the German league to the prem.

It's down to ole to recognise this though and manage it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Jonathan Wilson reckons that Sancho was at his best for Dortmund with an attacking full back behind him.

Now, AWB has no problem getting forward. My problem would be how much of a decoy he is considering teams seem to be happy to let him have the ball whenever he wants it.
Every wide attacker is better with an attacking fullback to combine with it. Sancho is going to have his work cut out playing with AWB

GMoore23

The only criticism I have of Sancho.

He gets the move of a lifetime. Then doesn't take part in preseason and returns to his new club obviously out of shape.
Maguire and Shaw were back early enough and they had a way tougher Euros.
Sancho should have been eager to impress. Look at Grealish for city.

If Ole gave him an extended Holiday, he should have looked at that as a test of mentality.
If it was me personally, I'd have been at training early and would have played in the Everton game regardless of the managers orders.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very unimpressed. Lacks a lot of pace and doesn’t have that directness many were claiming he had. He seems more like a playmaker than an actual winger. It’s also clear to see he prefers playing on the left which has once again shown we didnt solve our RW problem. Let’s give him a full game next week so he can get more accustomed to the league.
what? he showed great pace today, he just never really got the chance to get on his bike.

He isn’t a winger that stands on the touchline, he comes inside and gets involved.

I thought he played fine, looked sharp for the first 10-15. Only thing I didn’t like was he went to the left a bit too much.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This. He's one of the best at what he does but definitely not a RW. With Shaw behind him, he could be lethal. Still, he needs patterns of play and movement around him. He doesn't have the pace or physique to work in isolation. He dribbles off runs, plays one twos, creates space for others, etc.

PoTMS

My problem isn't with him per se but he does seem a bit of a luxury player considering the board knew we had limited funds and we have a more pressing need in midfield them we do on the right wing. And it turns out he doesn't even play in the position I thought he would be filling.

lilcurt

He gets the move of a lifetime. Then doesn't take part in preseason and returns to his new club obviously out of shape.

If Ole gave him an extended Holiday, he should have looked at that as a test of mentality.
If it was me personally, I'd have been at training early and would have played in the Everton game regardless of the managers orders.
That's a bit harsh mate. He doesn't look out of shape and I don't think it is a case of not being fit. More not being around long enough to know all the tactics and us having options there that we shouldn't need to rush it.

Chip

Showed absolutely nothing today. Early days, midfield was horrible etc. But I think we should probably manage our expectations; at least this season.

RonaldoVII

Solskjaer said he was unwell so returned later than some of the others. Plus he had to get the signing wrapped up before his holiday. You can't compare it to your situation :lol:

izec

Well, he never impressed much in the CL or for England. He will need some time to getting used to the league and especially us, as he will need to do more on his own rather than fluid passing.

KennyBurner

what? he showed great pace today, he just never really got the chance to get on his bike.

He isn’t a winger that stands on the touchline, he comes inside and gets involved.

I thought he played fine, looked sharp for the first 10-15. Only thing I didn’t like was he went to the left a bit too much.
He does favor the left which we did say a lot. Last season he had a terrible first half to the season when playing on the right. His performances got better when he was moved permanently to the left. He started scoring and assisting goals again.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Seen enough in the hour of football have you? Easy to say this shit and then hide away when he’s ripping through defences later in the season.
I am not criticising him, rather the players he is playing with. They have no clue what to do, and are far less of a machine than Dortmund was or is.

Roboc7

He’s going to need an attacking RB to be a success as a RW. Can see it taking a long time to get the best out of him and Ole might struggle to know what to do with him.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Working his way back to match fitness, Ole was right to play him for 35-40 minutes.

Maybe 60 minutes next week.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He seems seriously out of sync with the team at the moment — not only in terms of his passes but also in terms of his runs, there was an awkward moment where he almost clashed into Bruno. But that was to be expected. He’ll find his feet soon enough.

E-mal

He doesnt have that raw pace and magic to force things and also less urgency from him. I will give him time though as this is early days.

Status
Not open for further replies.