5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Greenwood does not deserve to get dropped at the moment though.

When Rashford returns, then Ole has a pickle. For me, Rashford has to start, but he is a polarizing player on this forum.
I agree. I'm in no doubt Marcus will start, even a 'broken' Marcus started. Sancho will be move right and Greenwood will go to the bench imo. I think it's a problem we have created ourselves with a poor transfer strategy. Love Sancho but that ship had sold and what was move pressing was a midfielder given there are significant question marks against 3 of them and equally can Pogs play in a two....

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I agree. I'm in no doubt Marcus will start, even a 'broken' Marcus started. Sancho will be move right and Greenwood will go to the bench imo. I think it's a problem we have created ourselves with a poor transfer strategy. Love Sancho but that ship had sold and what was move pressing was a midfielder given there are significant question marks against 3 of them and equally can Pogs play in a two....
We play 60 odd games a season, having Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford for two spots is perfectly fine.

Litch

We have good squad and we play twice a week. With good rotation, everyone should get good enough game time.
Maybe but that's a lot of changes which is a bit out of character for Ole. I also think players like Ronaldo, Bruno, Rashford and even Pogs aren't going to be rotated that often if fit. This is a must win something for Ole, and I think he'll play the same side most games.

Litch

We play 60 odd games a season, having Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford for two spots is perfectly fine.
I guess we'll see. What we know is Ole has his favs that always play. It's not just rotating 3, if Ole goes with McFred which I think he will do, Pogs goes to the left too. If Eddy comes in, I can see Ronaldo staying in the front 3. When does Martial get game time? I can't see Ole rotating players in form either.

I guess time will tell.....

redshaw

He looked very tidy yesterday and quite involved. Think he'll grow quickly into a role linking up well with other players like Bruno and Ronaldo.

Feel a bit sorry how the Varane reveal and Ronaldo coming back has really taken the edge off the 70m move. Normally the crowd would really be urging Sancho on, this can help or be a hindrance but I just feel he's missing a bit of the clamour and come in on the quiet. He seems happy enough at the end of the game and knows he can do better when he came off.

CG1010

Last year we had all three - Rashford, Martial and Greenwood - misfiring often at the same time. There is no way buying a promising attacking player to compete with them is a "poor transfer" strategy. It's simple - if you can play as good consistently as Bruno/Ronaldo or current version of Pogba, you play each game. Else you have to be rotated according to the opposition and who is in form.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He looked very tidy yesterday and quite involved. Think he'll grow quickly into a role linking up well with other players like Bruno and Ronaldo.

Feel a bit sorry how the Varane reveal and Ronaldo coming back has really taken the edge off the 70m move. Normally the crowd would really be urging Sancho on, this can help or be a hindrance but I just feel he's missing a bit of the clamour and come in on the quiet. He seems happy enough at the end of the game and knows he can do better when he came off.
Fair enough. I take the view that 100% of the attention on Sancho and his fee wouldn't have worked for him and he'd have had the same low key introduction with much more negative scrutiny. Ronaldo's return means Sancho can find his feet in the league and in this team further from the spotlight.

For me yesterday Sancho was ok. I was frustrated early on with he and Shaw's lack of chemistry but I think they both grew into the first half and I liked his cute, tidy touches even if I'd have liked more penetration from him personally and he and Shaw as a duo. Second half I only remember him losing the ball twice and I think it was a good call to sub him off. More minutes and experience under his belt, no worries from me.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Maybe having those options will force Ole to use subs. I've always like the strategy of only having wide players put in 55/60 minutes because they have to run so much more (ditto FBs). If you get, say, Rashford and Greenwood to start, both with knowledge that they only need to make it to 60, they can play accordingly, leave little in reserve, then you bring on Sancho and Jesse for the last 30. With Cavani and Ronaldo, you can do the same.

But that's predicated on Ole releasing he's allowed to change things before the 85th minute, so yeah.

Litch

Last year we had all three - Rashford, Martial and Greenwood - misfiring often at the same time. There is no way buying a promising attacking player to compete with them is a "poor transfer" strategy. It's simple - if you can play as good consistently as Bruno/Ronaldo or current version of Pogba, you play each game. Else you have to be rotated according to the opposition and who is in form.
It's all about opinions, year before that, they were all firing at the same time. I agree buying promising young players, just I think it felt more opportunists than a long term strategy. For example, we paid a lot of money for Amad and Pelistri, an initial 30 mil, where did that fit into any strategy? I would know but I'm sure he was bought cause they felt the Sancho deal was then dead in the water.

I get it but I don't think there was any plan and it's well documented that too many times our transfers have been at times more profile than process.

RedRoach

It's all about opinions, year before that, they were all firing at the same time. I agree buying promising young players, just I think it felt more opportunists than a long term strategy. For example, we paid a lot of money for Amad and Pelistri, an initial 30 mil, where did that fit into any strategy? I would know but I'm sure he was bought cause they felt the Sancho deal was then dead in the water.

I get it but I don't think there was any plan and it's well documented that too many times our transfers have been at times more profile than process.
That has notably improved since Ole took over. Also the right hand side has been a problem area at the club for years.

Finally we have two quality players (Greenwood and Sancho) who can compete and improve us down that side and people complain ‍:houllier:

Litch

Maybe having those options will force Ole to use subs. I've always like the strategy of only having wide players put in 55/60 minutes because they have to run so much more (ditto FBs). If you get, say, Rashford and Greenwood to start, both with knowledge that they only need to make it to 60, they can play accordingly, leave little in reserve, then you bring on Sancho and Jesse for the last 30. With Cavani and Ronaldo, you can do the same.

But that's predicated on Ole releasing he's allowed to change things before the 85th minute, so yeah.
It's interesting as I actually think even if Cavani plays, Ronaldo still plays in the 3. I can't see him coming here not to play. I get the idea of rotation but there are not many games in PL, especially away you can get away with it....

Litch

That has notably improved since Ole took over. Also the right hand side has been a problem area at the club for years.

Finally we have two quality players (Greenwood and Sancho) who can compete and improve us down that side and people complain ‍:houllier:
Whose complaining? It's a question when you think of the amount of forwards in how you get players to buy into being rotated. It's not only being rotated, it's what games you get rotated for especially as some like Rashford and probably Ronaldo will play most games? That's 2 out of only 3 spots. Also we know Ole has his favourites and plays them irrespective of form and injury at times. I think it's a valid question....

Last edited:

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
I don’t think there’s any doubt that Sancho is a good signing. If you want to be competing for trophies you NEED options in attack.

Ronaldo and Cavani are both getting on, which inevitably leads to Greenwood moving into the striker position eventually. If Haaland comes in then that’s just another good “problem” to have...

The guy is a creative machine as he’s shown consistently for Dortmund, looked sharper yesterday too— Ronaldo’s presence will inevitably bring the best out of the other attacking players and a few of them may leave within a few seasons anyway.

RedRoach

Whose complaining? It's a question when you think of the amount of forwards in how you get players to buy into being rotated. It's not only being rotated, it's what games you get rotated for especially as some like Rashford and probably Ronaldo will play most games? That's 2 out of only 3 spots. Also we know Ole has his favourites and plays them irrespective of form and injury at times. I think it's a valid question....
I don’t know why you keep mentioning Rashford. He plays down the left and has never looked comfortable on the right. Having Greenwood/Sancho both available to cover that side just means we have great squad depth same as City can call on Silva or Mahrez

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Defensively he's never done much. About the same as Grealish or Rashford the past couple of years. Bit more than Ronaldo as a winger. Not a whole lot different to Pogba out there either.

One reason I feel we need a very defensive midfield 2 is because our wide players are pretty much wide forwards in their positioning and do very little defensive work.
Which is ok tbf, it can be tweaked and it can work. Sometimes it feels like (in here) if you aren't playing the style of football in vogue then you aren't playing good football.

Re Jadon I've seen enough from him yesterday to not be worried. I think he'll be fine and I can wait to see some of his best...

Litch

I don’t know why you keep mentioning Rashford. He plays down the left and has never looked comfortable on the right. Having Greenwood/Sancho both available to cover that side just means we have great squad depth same as City can call on Silva or Mahrez
City are completely different as the play at times without a forward and are much more fluid in positions. This allows them to have numerous forward winger type players across the front 3.

My point is exactly that, if you play Rashford on the left and Ron in the centre, you have to accommodate Greenwood, Sancho, Martial and Eddy. Yes form, injuries come into play but you talk about rotation like it's something that will happen weekly. Also Ole as yet to demonstrate that he does it well, where Pep at City doesn't it all the time. The same with subs, Ole will have to do something he's not demonstrated since he's been here. Ok, that might be cause he has more choice now. Something else that's also interesting is Pogs. I think we'll see McFred again (Ole's not had chance as yet) so will we see him on the left?

Moaning, nope just interesting to see how it will play out.

RedRoach

City are completely different as the play at times without a forward and are much more fluid in positions. This allows them to have numerous forward winger type players across the front 3.

My point is exactly that, if you play Rashford on the left and Ron in the centre, you have to accommodate Greenwood, Sancho, Martial and Eddy. Yes form, injuries come into play but you talk about rotation like it's something that will happen weekly. Also Ole as yet to demonstrate that he does it well, where Pep at City doesn't it all the time. The same with subs, Ole will have to do something he's not demonstrated since he's been here. Ok, that might be cause he has more choice now. Something else that's also interesting is Pogs. I think we'll see McFred again (Ole's not had chance as yet) so will we see him on the left?

Moaning, nope just interesting to see how it will play out.
Perhaps he didn’t do it before hand because we lacked the squad depth to do so? If you are not confident in your rotation options you clearly would rotate less.

I am super pleased that rotating Greenwood doesn’t mean we see a player like James who clearly was not the required standard

tomaldinho1

I think we are limiting Sancho's game by playing AWB behind him, Sancho's best form came with Hakimi bombing forward for Dortmund, it stretches the defence out a bit more which creates space on the inside channel. At the moment we play so narrow as our only threat of overlapping comes from Shaw. With Pogba on the LW, it means the opposition defence can tuck in and close down the space.

This is why signing Trippier wouldve been such a good signing for Sancho, if Dalot developed, he could even have been a useful option. AWB is class in 1-on-1 defending, but he is so limited on the ball.
Would surely be fair to at least let them play as RB/RW before offering your insight? :lol:

spiriticon

Good thing he hasn't got the number 7 for this year. The expectation would have crushed him.

Crashoutcassius

But we are the best wide in world football at coming from behind. Why does ole need to change that part of his approach

The Red Thinker

He was the most direct player in our team and nobody else could keep up. He’s not our problem.
Direct? Maybe. Good? Na. A lot of his passes were too short and got intercepted. He's been taking that extra one second to make a decision. He will of course come good. But, he will need time.

Rashford and Greenwood must play in the big games. For Sancho, this year will be a learning year for him. The pressure is off him with the behemoth that is Ronaldo in the squad.

AussieDevil

Would surely be fair to at least let them play as RB/RW before offering your insight? :lol:
That was posted before Sancho even took the field for us. I think its fairly obvious that AWB is limited going forward, its not exactly a secret. And its also really obvious if you watched Dortmund that Sancho thrived with an attacking right back.

I hope they become a forceful duo, I hope im wrong.

meamth

The most encouraging thing about him was his tidy first touch and close control.

He is the best, even better than Martial to be honest.

Once he clicked with his teammates and PL, he will be devastating.

RedCurry

We will ease him in. And with himself, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial and potentially Lingard staking a claim for just two wide spots, no player is going to be guaranteed 90 mins. With all the limelight on Ronaldo and 60-70 mins a week, he will get plenty of time to adjust to the league. The talent is quite clearly visible every time he touches the ball really.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
People seem far too quick to make judgement calls on players nowadays. I replied to a text saying 'Sancho - waste of money' with 'we bought him for 5 years, not 5 matches' and then you wonder why that even needs saying at all.

I thought he was a little better on Saturday than in the previous match but he still obviously isn't displaying close to what he will do for us. New team, new league, not much of a pre-season. Its not difficult is it? Anyone who watched him play for Dortmund knows that he is a vastly more talented player than what we've seen so far.

Anustart89

First two appearances were very meh but I was happy to see his performance against Newcastle. Not that he did any great passes or anything like that, but he was eager to get into good positions which is a great sign. The chance from Bruno’s shot where just a few more inches of the foot on the ball would’ve given him a goal was a great piece of movement from him to keep moving in the no 9 position, and the counter where Ronaldo’s run dragged the defenders off him and he held his run was also good. Thought he was let down by Bruno’s pass being a little bit behind him. The willingness and ability to make those runs is a good sign for me and with more time together with the team the passing aspect and end product will come. We know he has the ability to make the passes from his time at Dortmund so I’m not worried about that.

Danny

Surprised at some of the comments after the game on Saturday. Sancho was exciting, direct and intelligent in his movement throughout and was unlucky to not get a goal from Bruno’s pass first half.

Sancho’s movement for the second goal was important too as it created the space for Ronaldo to run in behind and the space to allow Shaw’s pass. Other wingers could have condensed that situation but he didn’t.

Goal or assist soon and he will kick on I’m sure.

RUCK4444

Surprised at some of the comments after the game on Saturday. Sancho was exciting, direct and intelligent in his movement throughout and was unlucky to not get a goal from Bruno’s pass first half.

Sancho’s movement for the second goal was important too as it created the space for Ronaldo to run in behind and the space to allow Shaw’s pass. Other wingers could have condensed that situation but he didn’t.

Goal or assist soon and he will kick on I’m sure.
Agree. Bit of a strange one to have a pop at him over, looked better in this game, it will come with time and when his teammates start linking with him more. Shaw never really started getting forward enough until the second half iirc. think this would have helped him more in the 1st half.

He was more dynamic and really trying to be direct, with a better ball from Bruno he would have had a cracking chance to get his first goal as well.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Thought he had a good game. Was direct when he had the ball and looked much sharper than he did in his previous two games. You can see him getting his fitness back. I have no doubt he's going to be great for us.

Tony247

Can't wait for Rashford to come back and move Sancho on right. Two very good wingers on the flanks is what we need. He and Greenwood can rotate (although Mason is not a perfect winger).

IncyWincySpider

He definitely looked more like the player we thought we were buying against Newcastle than he did in the previous game. I thought after his first start that it might take half a season for him to start showing his best, but actually I now think it will be much sooner than that. Must just have been that he wasn't fully fit.

He's going to play a big part in unlocking teams that sit back against us, which is what we wanted him for primarily.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He definitely looked more like the player we thought we were buying against Newcastle than he did in the previous game. I thought after his first start that it might take half a season for him to start showing his best, but actually I now think it will be much sooner than that. Must just have been that he wasn't fully fit.

He's going to play a big part in unlocking teams that sit back against us, which is what we wanted him for primarily.
And also simply that he has to get to know his teammates. A playmaker has to know where who runs, how they all move etc, otherwise he can't do much. Those short moments of uncertainty slow a player down, when he has learned how the team works that will increase the speed of thought and improve his performaces.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
His 1st half was quite good actually. Really encouraging performance but with him its only a matter of time until everything clicks and he starts producing the performance levels he is capable of.

Alemar

But we have more than these 3 for two spots. Also Martial, Lingard, Amad, Elanga, and Pogba sometimes play at LW as well. There is also Mata…

RPT_Reddevil

Didn't he had a similar start to the season at Dortmund last year as well. After the entire transfer saga he was a bit slow to start and then gradually picked up his form. But when the performances picked up the goals and assists just came in naturally.

So nothing to worried about as he is going to be a key contributor for the team this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.