5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

A bit sad seeing him lack so much confidence, it seems to be etched across him.

I did like that he worked hard, he worked back and defended at times. No complaints with that, we just have to wait for adaptation and maybe for him to grab a goal or two.

Godfather

He looks to me to be a player whose confidence has been shot by what happened at the Euros. A bit of time and patience will see him right.
Hopefully. To me he doesn't look physically up for it. No pace, no strenght, no acceleration. Also our football doesn't seem to fit him at all.

Baxter

Thought he was poor in the first half, but was better in the second. Bit odd to write him off, especially when a few of the English players elsewhere have had pretty weak starts.

MiceOnMeth

Still waiting for the "ah, Thats why we signed him" moment.. hopefully it comes soon

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
A bit sad seeing him lack so much confidence, it seems to be etched across him.

I did like that he worked hard, he worked back and defended at times. No complaints with that, we just have to wait for adaptation and maybe for him to grab a goal or two.
But WHY does he lack confidence? It can't be the Euros because it was ages ago by now. It can't be because of the team he is in, because they are on a high after the signing of Ronaldo and have always had a good togetherness under Ole. It can't be Ole, because he is giving him plenty of opportunities and clearly wants him to do well. So what is up with him? Is it the pressure of United which has been the ruin of so many players before?

BerryBerryShrew

People saying he played "ok". You expect more than just an "ok" performance every game when you supposedly bought one of the best young players in the world and payed top money for him.

We would probably have been better off spending that money on a CDM than on him in hindsight.
It took Havertz well over half a season with Chelsea before he started to look any better than a pub footballer and he's still flattering to deceive in spite of his reputation.

It happens with young players coming in from abroad. Have faith!

Pickle85

It was ages ago and has no bearing on United. Beckham NEVER let his Argentina sending off effect him for United, he won the treble after that. A lot of the other players in that current squad also have done fine since then. If he can't get over it, then why is he in football if he is so mentally weak?
Yeah good point. All players' mentalities are identical and our team now is certainly treble winning calibre. Nice one.

He's a youngster coming into a new side and league and it's his, what, fourth game? Give it a rest ffs.

Abraxas

But WHY does he lack confidence? It can't be the Euros because it was ages ago by now. It can't be because of the team he is in, because they are on a high after the signing of Ronaldo and have always had a good togetherness under Ole. What the Ole is giving him plenty of opportunities and clearly wants him to do well. So what is up with him? Is it the pressure of United which has been the ruin of so many players before?
I would imagine so? It's hard to say but he has that look about him. It is psuedo psychology to a certain extent but I'm guessing it's the fact he came off a Euros where he wasn't used, missed a penalty, so his recent experiences are poor and then the size of the club has hit him.

Throw in that he's probably surprised by the way we play and the lack of space he's afforded and hes probably a bit muddled.

You can say that maybe he should have more about him as a United footballer but I guess he's the type that needs the softly softly approach and a confidence booster rather than a Bruno who will come in and take the mantle.

Baxter

But WHY does he lack confidence? It can't be the Euros because it was ages ago by now. It can't be because of the team he is in, because they are on a high after the signing of Ronaldo and have always had a good togetherness under Ole. What the Ole is giving him plenty of opportunities and clearly wants him to do well. So what is up with him? Is it the pressure of United which has been the ruin of so many players before?
Look at Mount and Chilwell at Chelsea. In a Champions League winning team and still look bereft of confidence. Players aren’t robots :lol:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Looked shot near the end. Was struggling to run up and make an attacking contribution. He has the talent but needs to be more assertive.

Cathy Ferguson

He lacks pace to be a great dribbler. He is highly dependent on other players making runs, but so are Pogba and Bruno who are better players. It is still early days and he will need time to settle in but he will not start many games once Rashford returns. Greenwood is more of a talent and it would have made more sense to spend big on a CDM instead of Sancho. Hopefully I am wrong.

The Mitcher

Yeah good point. All players' mentalities are identical and our team now is certainly treble winning calibre. Nice one.

He's a youngster coming into a new side and league and it's his, what, fourth game? Give it a rest ffs.
Nice disengenuous post.

Nowhere did I say every player is the same. You couldn't even respond to what I actually said. How has the Euros effected him? It hasn't effected any of the other players it seems, they've been getting on with it.

He's 21 and has been a starter at one of Germany's biggest clubs, consistently raking in assists and chipping in with goals. He's not just some youngster, he is one of Europe's most established forwards. This isn't like Anthony Elanga making his debut last season. We've signed a player who is meant to take our attack to the next level, he's that good. Poor attempt at re-writing history.

JPB

It took Havertz well over half a season with Chelsea before he started to look any better than a pub footballer and he's still flattering to deceive in spite of his reputation.

It happens with young players coming in from abroad. Have faith!
I can't see it. Look at a young Rooney or a young Ronaldo. You see that they have something special everytime they play. I can't see it with this kid.

The Mitcher

Look at Mount and Chilwell at Chelsea. In a Champions League winning team and still look bereft of confidence. Players aren’t robots :lol:
Again, another poster saying this. I'm not saying any player is the same mentally, but it makes no sense that his confidence is apparently at rock bottom despite all the other positives he has at the club.

Eddy_JukeZ

He hasn't been good enough.

Hopefully he gets going, but when Rashford returns, he's not starting over him.

AnotherLondonManc

Don't understand the agenda people have against Sancho here. He's clearly a great footballer. Just needs time to adapt to our system, I'm sure he'll prove to be a top signing.

His bundesliga numbers speak for themselves, and to achieve what he has at 21 is remarkable. And to all those saying

Maybe bundesliga is actually a poor league. If you go there looking to buy an attacker anyway.
you have a very selective memory. I'm pretty sure Aubameyang, KDB, Firminho and Gundogan were all wildly successful here. Probably plenty more I'm forgetting too. Give the kid a break and get behind him.

Almost feels like some of you want him to fail :confused:

The Hilton

I thought he was one of our better players tonight. He created some dangerous situations with incisive running and passing, was our most threatening player behind Greenwood when he came on.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We have been duped again by Dortmund, Fraud of a player, send him on loan to the lower Leauges.

Brophs

The One and Only
It was ages ago and has no bearing on United. Beckham NEVER let his Argentina sending off effect him for United, he won the treble after that. A lot of the other players in that current squad also have done fine since then. If he can't get over it, then why is he in football if he is so mentally weak?
It was just over 2 months ago. Or something like 4 competitive games of football. I have no idea if that is what’s causing an issue for him but it’s hardly unreasonable to think he might struggle with the way the Euros ended, particularly as it was on home soil. As for the rest, he’s a human being. They all react differently. Would it be so hard to imagine a guy low on confidence would struggle to settle, especially after being ill during pre-season?

Pickle85

Nice disengenuous post.

Nowhere did I say every player is the same. You couldn't even respond to what I actually said. How has the Euros effected him? It hasn't effected any of the other players it seems, they've been getting on with it.

He's 21 and has been a starter at one of Germany's biggest clubs, consistently raking in assists and chipping in with goals. He's not just some youngster, he is one of Europe's most established forwards. This isn't like Anthony Elanga making his debut last season. We've signed a player who is meant to take our attack to the next level, he's that good. Poor attempt at re-writing history.
Not sure you understood what I was saying, because you're rephrasing the same stupid question again. To reiterate: players react differently to events depending upon personality type etc. So whether the other players have been affected is neither here nor there. It's how it's impacted him.

So to confirm, you are writing him off? Just so I can quote this further down the line...

Abraxas

Again, another poster saying this. I'm not saying any player is the same mentally, but it makes no sense that his confidence is apparently at rock bottom despite all the other positives he has at the club.
Well, what are you offering as an explanation?

You've said it yourself, his stats are brilliant, his performances so far in his career have undoubtedly been far better than this on average.

People are just saying what they see. He looks like there's a weight on him. It doesn't mean it's the only explanation. What the reason is isn't that important here, whether it's the Euros or struggling at the club is less important to us as fans than it is to the club who have to get the best out of him. We just see the end result and offer an opinion on reasons.

Ceteris

Manchester United fans on Redcafe do not learn, Wan basaka, Pogba, and now Sancho

We look at what these players were doing at their clubs

Wan basaka wasn't tearing it up putting in crosses and creating assists, he was just a brilliant defender.

Pogba was playing in a different position at juve and he was excelling.

But they arrive at united and all of a sudden we want them to do different things they were never doing

Everytime our passing speeds up Sancho looks good, but how many times does that happen for united.

Our play is slow slow slow slow. And it falls at the feet of the manager Ole.

Leave the guy alone,

Reactions: Fortitude

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I can't see it. Look at a young Rooney or a young Ronaldo. You see that they have something special everytime they play. I can't see it with this kid.
Its a bit of a shock to see how poor his been. We were all told on here by many that he was miles better than Rashford and Greenwood. Many were saying he was a Mbappe level talent. Sometimes you see a cow in a field quote springs to mind.

Last edited:

Bobski

The most concerning part is his conditioning, big move and he turns up badly out of shape, an immediate red flag.

Irrational.

His confidence is rock bottom after the Euros. It’ll take him time to get going. He’ll also need to toughen up mentally and physically - as he’s pretty weak and passive at present.

Eddy_JukeZ

Its a bit of a shock to see how poor his been. We were all told on here by many that he was miles better than Rashford and Greenwood. Many were saying he was a Mbappe level talent. Sometimes you see a cow in a field quote springs to mind.
That was never true. People were going OTT.

I thought Rashford's been better than him(at least since 2019-2020) and I thought Greenwood's ceiling is higher too.

That said, Sancho offers something different to both of them. I didn't think he'd come out guns blazing, but he has been poor thus far.

Jaxa

Still waiting for the "ah, Thats why we signed him" moment.. hopefully it comes soon
Tbh it might not come until next season and that will still be fine, disappointing maybe but it is what it is, this guy was purchased for the future so if it takes time it takes time

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I thought he was one of our better players tonight. He created some dangerous situations with incisive running and passing, was our most threatening player behind Greenwood when he came on.
I agree. This thread is weird. We saw more examples of his touch, vision and passing ability than in every other match combined so far. I thought it was an encouraging performance

Blood Mage

It just isn't happening for him at the moment, he does have the look of a youth player who's making his first step up. He needs to sort himself out because Greenwood is making himself undroppable and Rashford will be breathing down his neck soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.