5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDevil

I think we are limiting Sancho's game by playing AWB behind him, Sancho's best form came with Hakimi bombing forward for Dortmund, it stretches the defence out a bit more which creates space on the inside channel. At the moment we play so narrow as our only threat of overlapping comes from Shaw. With Pogba on the LW, it means the opposition defence can tuck in and close down the space.

This is why signing Trippier wouldve been such a good signing for Sancho, if Dalot developed, he could even have been a useful option. AWB is class in 1-on-1 defending, but he is so limited on the ball.

Reactions: Sultan

Marwood

I think we are limiting Sancho's game by playing AWB behind him, Sancho's best form came with Hakimi bombing forward for Dortmund, it stretches the defence out a bit more which creates space on the inside channel. At the moment we play so narrow as our only threat of overlapping comes from Shaw. With Pogba on the LW, it means the opposition defence can tuck in and close down the space.

This is why signing Trippier wouldve been such a good signing for Sancho, if Dalot developed, he could even have been a useful option. AWB is class in 1-on-1 defending, but he is so limited on the ball.
They haven't even started a game together yet! Give it a minute.

Before we start blaming AWB for Sancho's form let's see if Sancho himself is delivering.

Then lets give them 20 games together to develop a relationship. Then maybe draw a conclusion.

United in sin

You're being harsh on AWB here. Those two actually showed promise together down the right against Southampton.

For instance, the two combined very well to set up a headed chance for Bruno in the 65th minute via a cross from AWB down the right. The keeper was forced to make a save. You don't have to force this narrative about AWB's apparent lack of ability on the ball even when there's no evidence of it. Start at 9:50 in the following vid:

They also combined for a 1-2 in the 71st minute that almost released AWB in space but he was closed down by two Southampton players. There's potential here and im sure we'll see more of these two especially as Sancho grows into his role

Last edited:

romufc

I mean from the very little we saw of them, they were not on the same wave length. I can recall 2/3 passes in the final 10 mins where AWB fluffed his pass to Sancho and makes the wrong run.

Its so painful watching AWB play.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Blaming Sancho's perceived lack of effectiveness on Wan Bissaka is mental gymnastics of the highest order. That doesn't seem to limit Greenwood, a much less experienced player than Sancho.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Blaming Sancho's perceived lack of effectiveness on Wan Bissaka is mental gymnastics of the highest order. That doesn't seem to limit Greenwood, a much less experienced player than Sancho.
It does. Playing with a RB who is comfortable on the ball, a threat in attack and better at linking up, will help any who plays on the right for us.

But let's give them time to play together. Who knows, maybe they'll form a good partnership and it'll elevate AWB too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I mean from the very little we saw of them, they were not on the same wave length. I can recall 2/3 passes in the final 10 mins where AWB fluffed his pass to Sancho and makes the wrong run.

Its so painful watching AWB play.
It's fair to say AWB had one of his off days, he was misplacing passes all over the field.

USUALLY though he's actually quite tidy in his tight link up play, they can make a good combination but it'll need to be worked at clearly.

If not, then we've got Ethan Laird to come in and do a Hakimi impression ;)

romufc

It's fair to say AWB had one of his off days, he was misplacing passes all over the field.

USUALLY though he's actually quite tidy in his tight link up play, they can make a good combination but it'll need to be worked at clearly.

If not, then we've got Ethan Laird to come in and do a Hakimi impression ;)
I think with AWB we need to work on it, so he knows when to make those forward runs, its not natural to him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's way way too early to judge him - but that free space to run in to in the Bundesliga has not been there in the PL.

It feels like there's always a defender right in front of him blocking his way.

Hopefully we see him in a full couple games soon to see what he can do now he is here at United.

Irwin99

Is it fair to say Ole hasn't been blown away by what he has seen in training.
No way. It's more likely a fitness issue. There might be something in the rumour that we perhaps wanted him to be more available after the Euros but for whatever reason this didn't happen.

He'll be up and running by September/October time.

MiceOnMeth

If Sancho is this mega star in the making howcome United were unapposed in our pursuit of him?

laughtersassassin

Lads we have seen him play like 25 minutes. It's too early to judge.

A lot of that was in a game our Midfield where literally playing against us

Granted. We only have 3 (Average) CMS for those two spots that Ole plays so I imagine the attack are in for a tough year!

laughtersassassin

Has Amad looked better than Sancho in their first few appearances for the club?
Yes but James done better than both in his first games and he is a very poor footballer for this standard.

Judge when he starts a few games and our Midfield gets the finger out and actually controls the game and supplies the attack

E-mal

Ya'll need to calm down, the guy has barely played for us. Give him time to get match fitness and settle down.
Its also important to note that we have to manage expectations especially in his first season with us, case in point the Bundesliga recruits in Chelsea.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
For the few minutes he's played, I wasn't impressed, because when he had the ball he wasn't prepared to take on the fullbacks, I expected him running at people whenever he had the ball because we needed that in the game not so much against Leeds, but still i thought he would have just pick the ball up and drive us higher up the pitch. He came off the bench should be fresh and full of energy at least get us exitected by taking people on.

Jordan_mufc

What on earth is going on in here. The boy had barely played an hour of football for us and people are already micro-analysing his performances.

Can we save our judgements for Christmas please? By that time we'll have a significant sample size

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes but James done better than both in his first games and he is a very poor footballer for this standard.

Judge when he starts a few games and our Midfield gets the finger out and actually controls the game and supplies the attack
I'm not judging him until next season.

TrustInOle

I'm not judging him until next season.
This. You just knew the microscope would be out and assesments made before he has even started a game, let alone gathered around 45 minutes. I also think it will take a few games before we, as a team, get comfortable building down a flank we have left devoid for so long.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This. You just knew the microscope would be out and assesments made before he has even started a game, let alone gathered around 45 minutes. I also think it will take a few games before we, as a team, get comfortable building down a flank we have left devoid for so long.
I honestly don't care if he's underwhelming this season because he's still young and if he isn't firing on all cylinders this season I think he will next season with a better midfield and maybe a better RB in transition.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom

Kag

For the few minutes he's played, I wasn't impressed, because when he had the ball he wasn't prepared to take on the fullbacks, I expected him running at people whenever he had the ball because we needed that in the game not so much against Leeds, but still i thought he would have just pick the ball up and drive us higher up the pitch. He came off the bench should be fresh and full of energy at least get us exitected by taking people on.
The issue I think you have here is that you haven’t really seen much of Sancho play. I mean, neither have I in truth, but he’s way more of a pass and move kind of forward than he is an out and out dribbler. He can dribble, but Sancho will pick up his numbers through combinations in and around the penalty area, not by getting his head down and beating players on the outside.

I think a lot of our supporters have the wrong idea about Sancho, truth be told.

TrustInOle

I honestly don't care if he's underwhelming this season because he's still young and if he isn't firing on all cylinders this season I think he will next season with a better midfield and maybe a better RB in transition.
Agreed. I reckon we will be back in for Trippier come January, but I still have faith AWB can come good, especially under the tutorship of a more experienced, forward thinking type. Positional awareness is my main concern regarding him, going forward and back.

Regarding Sancho I would agree, though we have spent alot wiser in recent times, we are still yet a complete team, so the transition won't be the smoothest, but his intelligence and vision coupled with the pace and quick touch football we posses all tell me it won't take him long.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed. I reckon we will be back in for Trippier come January, but I still have faith AWB can come good, especially under the tutorship of a more experienced, forward thinking type. Positional awareness is my main concern regarding him, going forward and back.

Regarding Sancho I would agree, though we have spent alot wiser in recent times, we are still yet a complete team, so the transition won't be the smoothest, but his intelligence and vision coupled with the pace and quick touch football we posses all tell me it won't take him long.
Agreed.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
The issue I think you have here is that you haven’t really seen much of Sancho play. I mean, neither have I in truth, but he’s way more of a pass and move kind of forward than he is an out and out dribbler. He can dribble, but Sancho will pick up his numbers through combinations in and around the penalty area, not by getting his head down and beating players on the outside.

I think a lot of our supporters have the wrong idea about Sancho, truth be told.
Agree with this, seems like an intelligent footballer who plays with heightened awareness off what’s going on around him.

something we could always do with more of.

Will be interesting watching him impact how we play

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agree with this, seems like an intelligent footballer who plays with heightened awareness off what’s going on around him.

something we could always do with more of.

Will be interesting watching him impact how we play
This was repeated by a number of us in the transfer forum when he was still at Dortmund. He's not a winger but rather a combination/link player who likes to come in-field.

Mcking

I thought he looked good, but was playing it safe. Played some well weighted throughballs into the runs of AWB, and some smart cutbacks.

What I don't understand though is why he was moved to the left wing a few minutes after coming on?

Valencia Shin Crosses

What on earth is going on in here. The boy had barely played an hour of football for us and people are already micro-analysing his performances.

Can we save our judgements for Christmas please? By that time we'll have a significant sample size
I just looked for the first time and couldn’t believe there were full analysis of why Sancho wasn’t performing this year.

lost7

Even last season at Dortmund, he didn't start particularly well but then had an amazing second half. He's still a very young player, let's not bring the forks out because he didn't score a hat-trick in 47 minutes please

TheRedSeagull

Even last season at Dortmund, he didn't start particularly well but then had an amazing second half. He's still a very young player, let's not bring the forks out because he didn't score a hat-trick in 47 minutes please
he was struggling when he played on the right, then started performing after he got moved to the left around New Years.

Sea-Cow

For the price he will need to get going. Otherwise there will be no title race.
Did anyone really anticipate a title race, even the optimists amongst us? There was never going to be a title race involving United, even if Sancho lit it up like Ronaldo in his first season. City and Pool, and possibly even Chelsea now unfortunately, are just on a different level to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.