5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

E-mal

Did anyone really anticipate a title race, even the optimists amongst us? There was never going to be a title race involving United, even if Sancho lit it up like Ronaldo in his first season. City and Pool, and possibly even Chelsea now unfortunately, are just on a different level to us.
I'm just curious, isn't personnel or coaching that will hold us back?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
They haven't even started a game together yet! Give it a minute.

Before we start blaming AWB for Sancho's form let's see if Sancho himself is delivering.

Then lets give them 20 games together to develop a relationship. Then maybe draw a conclusion.
You must be new to the rodeo! 20 games? Caftards make conclusions based on 30mins or a game.

Try giving matchday threads a go!!

3vra

Seeing what is happening in this thread i am soooo glad he did not get that 7 from the start, you would eat him alive. Madness

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Did anyone really anticipate a title race, even the optimists amongst us? There was never going to be a title race involving United, even if Sancho lit it up like Ronaldo in his first season. City and Pool, and possibly even Chelsea now unfortunately, are just on a different level to us.
Well there should be considering what we’ve spent in the last few years.

Liverpool had an awful year yet they have literally just leapfrogged us again because they have VVD back in the side. A year ago everyone was laughing at Chelsea yet now they are favourites. 3 years of Ole and several big money signings and we still don’t have a functioning side.

Mcguire
Wan Bissaka
Bruno
Van de Beek
Cavani
Sancho
Varane

We should be challenging and anything less than a challenge is a failure.

laughtersassassin

We got a better squad than Liverpool but they do have the better starting 11.

The real gap now between us and the others is our Midfield 2 and our manager.

I'm not Ole out but he isn't on their level

pascell

It's the next level in the 'progression' chart isn't it? 2nd last season, sink or swim for Ole this season, if he doesn't have us challenging for the title, he'll have to be sacked. Chelsea are 100% in the title race too, not sure about Liverpool as I think African Cup of Nations will diminish their chances.

Sea-Cow

Well there should be considering what we’ve spent in the last few years.

Liverpool had an awful year yet they have literally just leapfrogged us again because they have VVD back in the side. A year ago everyone was laughing at Chelsea yet now they are favourites. 3 years of Ole and several big money signings and we still don’t have a functioning side.

Mcguire
Wan Bissaka
Bruno
Van de Beek
Cavani
Sancho
Varane

We should be challenging and anything less than a challenge is a failure.
Totally agree that we should be pushing to close the points gap with the eventual title winners and forcing ourselves into a challenge, but I just don't see it happening.

I'm also perpetually a negative bastard so what do I know.

justsomebloke

What, you speak of this in the past tense, after two rounds? :)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Forget United fans, the general consensus among most media outlets and pundits before the season was that we should be making title challenge this season, even if we were unlikely to actually win it.

Because of course that's the expectation. We were the second best team in the league last year and had a full transfer window to strengthen further, which we began by making two excellent signings.

I think we'll finish 3rd/4th this season and have little expectation of actually finishing ahead of City and Chelsea based on how the entirety of the transfer window appears to be going (and the fact that they have better managers). But the idea that we're suddenly that far removed from teams we finished ahead of last season is unrealistic in the opposite direction.

If we're not largely keeping within touching distance with those other teams for most of the season then we've underperformed.

SAF is the GOAT

Solskjaer on the Sancho saga :

"We kept track of him at all times, despite the deal collapsed last year. It was too expensive. We never lost the interest."

"He [Sancho] gained another year of experience, we became a better team that year and the fee became more viable. Of course we would've preferred if he arrived earlier."

"But we know he'll [Sancho] be vital to us for years to come, so there was no doubt that we were going to go in for him again."

"There's so many things you experts should've known instead of being captain Hindsight, right? It's a completely different world being here and knowing exactly what’s going on."

"It's no secret Sancho was ill. He didn't work out the first week after arriving. He was quite ill and was not even close to being in the necessary shape to start vs Leeds. So it was due to the short preparation he had after the Euros and illness."

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Interesting how Sancho's now under the radar when Ronaldo arriving should be pushing the hype up for the kid.

He's got a hard running forward who thrives on service to feed who will read his movements and intentions within a few training sessions.

Haaland has some similarities with this iteration of Ronaldo - although, by now, he's a harder, more frequent runner - and we've seen how Sancho links up with this type of forward.

I thought he'd do well providing for Cavani, but with Ronaldo at the helm, play specifically intended to aid Ronaldo convert is much more intensified as opposed to Cavani, whose runs are intended to help everyone and just get his team a goal by any means necessary. Others may pick up loose balls Ronaldo missed, but he certainly won't intend to help a teammate directly in the manner Cavani does - Sancho's direct assists shouldn't skip a beat from what he was racking up in Germany.

Would also think Ronaldo will push Sancho's game on a notch with how demanding and exacting he is.

Can't remember the last season as anticipated as this one!

Mr PG

fitness. ole said he's been quite sick so he barely trained. 1s touch and final ball looked high quality you can tell a baller when you see those.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s good for Sancho that Ronaldo has come in and relieved the pressure on him. There was a lot on his shoulders, to basically come in for big money and push us towards a title. It’s a lot to expect from someone that young, but now he can improve and bed in without being in the spotlight as much.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He doesn't make our best XI for me right now. That RW spot is Greenwood's to lose.

el3mel

It was a shit performance, there's no way around it.

A little bit of a shame to be honest. I really hoped he'll start on fire but it seems we'll have to wait for some time before he regains fitness and adapts to the league's pace.

acnumber9

Doesn’t look sharp yet. I wouldn’t be getting my knickers in a twist yet though.

Jacob

I've always insisted Greenwood is the last attacker to be dropped.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Anyone who expects this guy to be consistent in his performance are in for a shock. For all his talent, the guy is still young and will blow hot and cold.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Poor, too many sideways & backwards passes. Hopefully he will settle as the quality is there.

Superunknown

Very early days for him at the club, but I thought it was a bad/awful performance from him. Needs to earn his place in the starting 11.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Will have some time to get things right as he adjusts to English football but he can't take too long otherwise Rashford will be first choice at LW and Greenwood at RW.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Said this in the match day thread, but he looks for us how he does for England. He looks like a 20-year-old, a bit meek, someone on the fringes of the side. There’s no incision or conviction right now.

What Dortmund do really well is create an environment where their kids get the freedom to develop, free of an expectations. He’ll be feeling it a lot more here and for England, especially with Rashford and Cavani having been out. We see it now with Greenwood where he has come through that phase, been backed by the manager, and now he has the conviction to do what he does best for United.

A goal or a key contribution will give him some confidence, but Ronaldo being here will be massive for taking the pressure off him. Maybe a player to get some home starts at Old Trafford to build his confidence up with the crowd behind him. Sancho-Ronaldo-Greenwood sounds tasty for Newcastle.

RedDevilRoshi

A few nice touches here and there but nothing major else to shout about. Final ball was massively lacking. Overall a poor performance by his standards.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't know what people are expecting. A forward needs the ball in advanced areas to perform. It was a poor performance but players can perform in a vacuum.

Bobski

Not a reaction to his performance today but with Ronaldo signed does Sancho start?

Only way to guarantee the opportunity is for Pogba to play in a midfield 2, Greenwood can not be dropped, starts on the right, Bruno supporting Ronaldo through the middle, if we get in a starting midfielder that releases Pogba to play higher up then Sancho is going to be rotating at the start of this season, which may not be a bad thing for him.

Poor today, does not look fit and was taking too many safe options. Tidy at times but at the fringe of the game.

the hea

With Rashford back and Ronaldo strating up top Sancho will find himself starting on the bench unless he improves alot from here on.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Early days and he will improve for sure. I did tell you all the Bundesliga was utter tosh though. Every team plays like Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.