5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Name

Yeah, you're right. But my biggest concern is that we have seen him in three games now and never has he made me stand up or done something remotely close to what Ronaldo did in his debut. Doesn't seem to have any pace nor trickery and the final passes have been abysmal. Really hope he will come good as the season progresses.
You can't compare him to Ronaldo really and as you said it's been just 3 games.

Boavista

His transfer generated a massive media frenzy, that built up over several seasons on top of that. That's a lot of pressure on a young player. Hard to compare that to say the transfer of Fernandes, or even Ronaldo's transfer that just happened over night. (Not that Ronaldo would ever let that kind of pressure get to him).
I think you also have to take into account that it's the first time in a very long time in front thousands of fans so that all contributes to him probably being nervous. Naturally he isn't going to be the first player his team mates seek out yet, so when he does get the ball he probably overthinks. That'll settle with time

Irrational.

Looks like he's got stage fright. Seen nothing from him so far. Needs to buck up his ideas before Rashford's fit, cos Greenwoods looking much better wide right. Yes he needs time to adjust but Young Boys didn't play at Premier League pace while he was on. Honestly, poor.
Have Dortmund swindled us again? He's not press resistant at all. Looks as weak as Kagawa and Mkhi. Couldn't even take on one of their players either.
Yes I know he’s only 21 and it’s early days but it’s not like we took a punt on an unknown quantity. For a £70 million+ player (valued at £100 million+ a year ago) you’d really expect him to hit the ground running and have a lot more on-pitch confidence than he has. Instead he looks really meek and a bit of a mental midget in the same way that Kagawa and Mkhitaryan were: completely overwhelmed by the size of the club and suffocated by the weight of expectation.

I expect him to improve a lot but it also wouldn’t surprise me if Dortmund are once again laughing all the way back to the bank.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes I know he’s only 21 and it’s early days but it’s not like we took a punt on an unknown quantity. For a £70 million+ player (valued at £100 million+ a year ago) you’d really expect him to hit the ground running and have a lot more on-pitch confidence than he has. Instead he looks really meek and a bit of a mental midget in the same way that Kagawa and Mkhitaryan were: completely overwhelmed by the size of the club and suffocated by the weight of expectation.

I expect him to improve a lot but it also wouldn’t surprise me if Dortmund are once again laughing all the way back to the bank.
Hes a 21 year old who is coming off the back of a euro final loss where he missed a costly pen. Chill. He also started last season slowly before turning it on. Not everyone hits the ground running right away, in fact most don't.

Devil may care

He's struggling and trying to force something to happen, but with his talent I'm certain he'll come good.

redshaw

His transfer generated a massive media frenzy, that built up over several seasons on top of that. That's a lot of pressure on a young player. Hard to compare that to say the transfer of Fernandes, or even Ronaldo's transfer that just happened over night. (Not that Ronaldo would ever let that kind of pressure get to him).
I think you also have to take into account that it's the first time in a very long time in front thousands of fans so that all contributes to him probably being nervous. Naturally he isn't going to be the first player his team mates seek out yet, so when he does get the ball he probably overthinks. That'll settle with time
With Ronaldo and Varane coming in he's not really been in the spotlight. He's come in on the quiet. Imagine if those players never came and Sancho was the main signing, the fans and expection would be high.

It's probably more to do with different football (United lack the short passing game) and him not being sharp at the start again. I predicted he'd be isolated and will need to adapt, same for England still.

He has too much talent to not find a role and link up with the other players, it will need more individual moments and quick longer passes/crosses to other attackers.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He wasn't terrible tonight, people are so quick to turn on players on here its a bit bizzare at times.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I reckon he's suffering a lot from the Euro's. To have performed so well at club level and then find yourself as completely irrelevant for the national team, in their most significant performance in generations, would be pretty hard to take. Then the pen. There was talk of Chillwell struggling for confidence for similar reasons. Add on top of that the fact he plays in a role that really needs you to be confident and ready to take risks, and the pressure that comes with such a big transfer...it's not that surprising to see him struggle. People are pretty unkind in here.

kirk buttercup

He wasn't terrible tonight, people are so quick to turn on players on here its a bit bizzare at times.
Same people probably up in arms we didn't sign him the year before. He is going to take time to find his groove. But the quality is there that is for sure

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Same people probably up in arms we didn't sign him the year before. He is going to take time to find his groove. But the quality is there that is for sure
Exactly, he wasn’t even poor today. Set us off on a counter nicely, had a couple of bad touches but like you say the quality is there. I feel like this forum gets more over the top every season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I reckon he's suffering a lot from the Euro's. To have performed so well at club level and then find yourself as completely irrelevant for the national team, in their most significant performance in generations, would be pretty hard to take. Then the pen. There was talk of Chillwell struggling for confidence for similar reasons. Add on top of that the fact he plays in a role that really needs you to be confident and ready to take risks, and the pressure that comes with such a big transfer...it's not that surprising to see him struggle. People are pretty unkind in here.
I’m not seeing much abuse here. Certainly not Fred or AWB levels. Seems to be mainly observations that he had a bad game. Which he did. Whatever the reasons behind it.

Obviously the nagging concerns are whether Ole really knows how to get the best out of him. See also Donny Van Der Beek.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I’m not seeing much abuse here. Certainly not Fred or AWB levels. Seems to be mainly observations that he had a bad game. Which he did. Whatever the reasons behind it.

Obviously the nagging concerns are whether Ole really knows how to get the best out of him. See also Donny Van Der Beek.
Yeah you're right, I don't think anyone's abusing him. Just feel bad for the guy. You can see he's shouldering a lot, for whatever reason. It is kind of easy to forget he's 21.

I quite like Fred but he does create a lot of his own problems!

Nicolarra90

Needs time, but how much time can we give before he gets eaten from the press and supporters?.

Hopefully won't end being memphis 2.0 :nervous:

jesperjaap

Deary me! Three games in, he hasnt even played much and people are doubting him.

And player can struggle with the size of our club and expectations young or old and he has looked nervous. NOt saying he might not even fail, we have seen many big players do that here and underwhelm who are better players than Sancho....but bloody hell he probably hasnt barely played 90mins in total so far, lets at least give him a few months before judging him, pathetic some of the comments here

Abraxas

Needs time, but how much time can we give before he gets eaten from the press and supporters?.

Hopefully won't end being memphis 2.0 :nervous:
Even if he's abysmal for the whole season he'll get time and patience beyond that. We invested 70 million in the guy and he is clearly somebody the manager wanted for some time. If he has to protect him at some point he will, I don't see any issue with him getting ripped apart.

Also, Ronaldo is going to take much of the attention this season and there are many options beyond Sancho. It's not absolutely necessary that he hits the ground running, as much as it would be better if he did.

mu4c_20le

Havertz looked pretty poor today as well, and if not for that goal, I would say he had an average debut season. Quite a big step up from the Bundesliga, it seems. Defenses are more compact and there is less time and space on the ball.

Betson

Havertz looked pretty poor today as well, and if not for that goal, I would say he had an average debut season. Quite a big step up from the Bundesliga, it seems. Defenses are more compact and there is less time and space on the ball.

Apart from the odd moments of class Havertz was very poor for most of last season , really hope it does not take Sancho as long to settle.

Dinghy

Five games in and I can't recollect one single time where he's made a successful dribble and created trouble for the opponents. Not exactly promising signs for a 70M winger.

Blood Mage

Early days yet but I'm not sure he's suited for a direct style of play. He thrives on link-up play and combinations, I'd say he suits a tiki-taka system best.

KD6-3.7

I feel like our style of play is so far from that of Dortmund‘s that it will take him a bit of time to adjust but he probably won’t be as good for us as compared to teams like City or Liverpool.

Boavista

With Ronaldo and Varane coming in he's not really been in the spotlight. He's come in on the quiet. Imagine if those players never came and Sancho was the main signing, the fans and expection would be high.

It's probably more to do with different football (United lack the short passing game) and him not being sharp at the start again. I predicted he'd be isolated and will need to adapt, same for England still.

He has too much talent to not find a role and link up with the other players, it will need more individual moments and quick longer passes/crosses to other attackers.
Yeah you have a point, but all that pressure (marquee signing, disappointing euros, back in front of fans etc.) that he probably internalised won't just have vanished into thin air simply because the spotlight isn't on him as much for the moment. He certainly didn't come in on the quiet, even if a last minute Ronaldo signing stole the headlines.

That being said I do agree that the main factor is probably him adjusting to United's football.

meamth

The lack of pace comments are baffling.

He is rapid, once he step up his fitness we will see that.

vva

He will thrive in the team which has dynamic off the ball playing style and good link up play for built up. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening in this united team under current manager and coaching group. Until the change of coaching team, he'll be joining most dissappointed expensive signing in the past several years. Best bet for united is the player in the style of adama traore who can make it on his own.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes but I'm sure you could say the same about Havertz when he joined Chelsea. Sometimes young players do struggle at a bigger club /tougher league and take longer to adapt. I still think he's incredibly talented but given his age we may have to be more patient with him than we otherwise would with a 75 million pound man.

TempusFugit

Seems scared of the expectations and maybe surprised by the amount of pressure that comes with playing for Man Utd. Takes too long to release the ball, overhits simple passes, he just seems scared to make a mistake. It's all in his head and he needs to start playing well because the media scrutiny and pressure will only get bigger from now on.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It might be better for him and us to bench him for awhile and ease him into games by subbing him for the coming games

He plays like he's fearing for his life and at best being indecisive and at worst outright killing our attacks by either losing the ball or playing it backwards

Can't really make a solid case of him starting over Mason who plays with much more conviction and decisiveness and would contribute much more to our attack

My biggest concern is that benching him for an extended period might get his confidence shot even further something which im not sure we might be able to afford given his massive wages and price tag

GueRed

Definitely a big step up from the Bundesliga.
As said before it will take time for him to adjust to the intensity of the Premier League and his new teammates.
He's also still 21.

Too talented to not succeed here..

I'm not too bothered by his first games. I love how quick his feet are and how well he keeps the ball under control whilst dribbling, he's better than anybody in the team at that. Once he gets used to the league he will be fine.

LoneStar

I don't think he's the type to thrive under a more 'free' system of play. I knew he was far from his peak (given his age), but didn't expect him to be so raw either. He looks to be playing at a different pace to the rest of our attackers. Let's hope he kicks on from this.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I never rated him much as others so I kind of expected a bit of this.

This is the version i saw much more when he played for England or in the CL for Dortmund than the Bundesliga.

Was scared he might be a bit of an expensive pace merchant considering the amount of players that have failed post Dortmund. Lets hope he can adapt and change as he has some time.

Idxomer

I'm not too bothered by his first games. I love how quick his feet are and how well he keeps the ball under control whilst dribbling, he's better than anybody in the team at that. Once he gets used to the league he will be fine.
More importantly, he needs to get used to the team.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I never rated him much as others so I kind of expected a bit of this.

This is the version i saw much more when he played for England or in the CL for Dortmund than the Bundesliga.

Was scared he might be a bit of an expensive pace merchant considering the amount of players that have failed post Dortmund. Lets hope he can adapt and change as he has some time.
He’s not really fast enough to be a pace merchant. Has decent acceleration and isn’t slow, but he’s no Rashford when it comes to bursts of speed.

E-mal

I feel like our style of play is so far from that of Dortmund‘s that it will take him a bit of time to adjust but he probably won’t be as good for us as compared to teams like City or Liverpool.
Just out of interest, why do you think so?

LoneStar

Thank god signing Ronaldo took the spotlight off of him. Imagine we just sign Varane and Sancho. There would be massive pressure on him to deliver from the get go.

pascell

Five games in and I can't recollect one single time where he's made a successful dribble and created trouble for the opponents. Not exactly promising signs for a 70M winger.
Then you must have had your eyes shut the 1st half vs Newcastle but hey, its the 'in' thing to shit on him, so let's jump on the bandwagon.

He's a 21 year old moving to a new club, new team mates, new system, new expectation, he isn't going to hit the ground running, he needs to gel with his team mates and settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.