Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

3vra

After that 220 minutes i can say he is rubbish

As well as that Argentinean fella that PSG bring. 115 minutes and does not look good.

And btw he was good against Newcastle. Maybe you expect other kind of player and can not understand what he can bring to the team. We have other kind of players in Rashford, Greenwood Martial and Lingard, what we do not have is that kind of playmaking winger.

Chill the feck out you all.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Ok cool. So from what you know of him, you figure that once he gets into his groove he can still offer a lot even while we're still optimising our system and all that jazz?
I noticed that he misplaced a few easy passes and was rather wasteful. Poor decision making and execution of rather easy plays, indecisiveness, etc. That will most likely go away when he builds up some self esteem but to be honest, he never really went through difficult personal situations at Dortmund so who knows.

However, I also thought that he ended up in lots of one on one situations around the corner flag. Those aren't his areas and I think he doesn't look like a world beater in those. Sure, he can go past a defender but he lacks the speed and physicality to fight them off once he's done that. Also not a particularly great crosser or anything like that. It's even worse on the right wing. People will probably still be disappointed then. I also think that it will be an issue that many of your star players - Bruno and Pogba in particular - attempt the deadly pass at much earlier stages in the build up than Sancho who's intrinsically more patient. Neither is he a player that makes the runs or has the brutal speed those two love in their team mates because they can feed them with passes behind the lines.
The question is, how will he adapt? I imagine in order to not become too discreet he'll also attempt to makes his plays earlier, he also might improve physically and in isolated one on ones. But those are different disciplines and the aspects of his attacking play that he excelled in at Dortmund won't be utilized in the same ways. You basically seem to be planning to develop him into a different player, effectively setting him back a few steps in his development. If you intended him to play like this, you really should have gone for Coman instead.

Personally, I hope that Solskjaer will be sacked before long. This is a seriously great squad and I can only imagine what Guardiola, Klopp or Tuchel would get out of it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I noticed that he misplaced a few easy passes and was rather wasteful. Poor decision making and execution of rather easy plays, indecisiveness, etc. That will most likely go away when he builds up some self esteem but to be honest, he never really went through difficult personal situations at Dortmund so who knows.

However, I also thought that he ended up in lots of one on one situations around the corner flag. Those aren't his areas and I think he doesn't look like a world beater in those. Sure, he can go past a defender but he lacks the speed and physicality to fight them off once he's done that. Also not a particularly great crosser or anything like that. It's even worse on the right wing. People will probably still be disappointed then. I also think that it will be an issue that many of your star players - Bruno and Pogba in particular - attempt the deadly pass at much earlier stages in the build up than Sancho who's intrinsically more patient. Neither is he a player that makes the runs or has the brutal speed those two love in their team mates because they can feed them with passes behind the lines.
The question is, how will he adapt? I imagine in order to not become too discreet he'll also attempt to makes his plays earlier, he also might improve physically and in isolated one on ones. But those are different disciplines and the aspects of his attacking play that he excelled in at Dortmund won't be utilized in the same ways. You basically seem to be planning to develop him into a different player, effectively setting him back a few steps in his development. If you intended him to play like this, you really should have gone for Coman instead.

Personally, I hope that Solskjaer will be sacked before long. This is a seriously great squad and I can only imagine what Guardiola, Klopp or Tuchel would get out of it.
That's how i see DVB get lost often, too.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

All of this makes you think he was bought for the sake of it.

Highfather_24

I knew fans would be disappointed in him when I saw people here talking about how we need "genuine width on the right, and a touchline hugging winger like Sancho would help". People think he's some sort of young-Ronaldo esque winger, but in truth he is more of a creative-link player, who plays mostly in the half-spaces.

Eddy_JukeZ

I knew fans would be disappointed in him when I saw people here talking about how we need "genuine width on the right, and a touchline hugging winger like Sancho would help". People think he's some sort of young-Ronaldo esque winger, but in truth he is more of a creative-link player, who plays mostly in the half-spaces.
Pretty much. We need to get him in the half-spaces more and less out wide.

If we're asking him to stretch the field and hug the sidelines, it won't work out. He's not a player that will be super direct and take players on. Rashford/Greenwood are way more direct than him. He's more intricate in how he attacks defenses.

Hopefully he starts vs West Ham and plays well to kickstart himself.

sugar_kane

Okay cool so sack Ole next week and hopefully can get one of the above three in for the following?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Okay cool so sack Ole next week and hopefully can get one of the above three in for the following?
I think a new coach would generally be for the better of the club. Your team doesn't seem more than the sum of its parts. It is covered to an extent by the sum alone being very high (what a transfer period you had) but it will only take you so far. And I don't think you'd need to get one of those three in to see an improvement. There's something in between.

RUCK4444

I think a new coach would generally be for the better of the club. Your team doesn't seem more than the sum of its parts. It is covered to an extent by the sum alone being very high (what a transfer period you had) but it will only take you so far. And I don't think you'd need to get one of those three in to see an improvement. There's something in between.
The counter to that argument is we finished 2nd before this great summer window, with the same manager.

Surely the sensible approach would be to let the manager demonstrate what he’s capable of with the team he’s built himself, otherwise why let him build it in the first place.

sugar_kane

Who though?

I’m not suggesting Ole has no flaws but I honestly think anyone else available is a gamble, perhaps not in the short term but could undo years of progress eg Conte

If Pep or Klopp were available I’d take them tomorrow, Tuchel not that arsed.

No one else who is a good fit for the club is available - maybe Zidane but he’s such an unknown quantity I’d rather stick with Ole.

The club should be focusing on improving the coaching team, not sacking Ole who has done a great job of rebuilding and motivating the squad.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The counter to that argument is we finished 2nd before this great summer window, with the same manager.

Surely the sensible approach would be to let the manager demonstrate what he’s capable of with the team he’s built himself, otherwise why let him build it in the first place.
That's why I think that the sheer individual class of the team is covering Solskjaer's shortcomings. And why coaches shouldn't build teams.

I also think your second place finish sounds better than it was. The xG values for 20/21 have you below United and Chelsea in the final table although both clubs went through severe crises (Liverpool primarily result-wise it seems). No offense but it all seems to come down to individual class and improvisation and that is not very sustainable. Teams that rely on individual class so much tend to be very erratic. In the end, humans are no machines so you need to put patterns of play and automatisms in place so that you also provide some sort of threat when your star players just have one of those days when nothing works out.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Who though?

I’m not suggesting Ole has no flaws but I honestly think anyone else available is a gamble, perhaps not in the short term but could undo years of progress eg Conte

If Pep or Klopp were available I’d take them tomorrow, Tuchel not that arsed.

No one else who is a good fit for the club is available - maybe Zidane but he’s such an unknown quantity I’d rather stick with Ole.

The club should be focusing on improving the coaching team, not sacking Ole who has done a great job of rebuilding and motivating the squad.
You might move Solskjaer into more of a DoF role, I don't know. I also think he has built a great team but as a coach, I just can't see the quality.

I don't know who you should go for but I'm also not in the upper management of one of the world's biggest clubs ;) Maybe it is time for a bold decision. The next generation of the Klopps, Tuchels and Peps are already coaching professional teams, you just need to identify those who are the most promising.

RUCK4444

That's why I think that the sheer individual class of the team is covering Solskjaer's shortcomings. And why coaches shouldn't build teams.

No offense but it all seems to come down to individual class and improvisation and that is not very sustainable. Teams that rely on individual class so much tend to be very erratic. In the end, humans are no machines so you need to put patterns of play and automatisms in place so that you also provide some sort of threat when your star players just have one of those days when nothing works out.
This one we hear a lot but I’m not really buying it.

We were out scoring the entire league for the majority of last season being overtook in the end by City.

The goals were spread across the front line and Bruno, not from one single source or outstanding player, like a Ronaldo or a Kane who rack up big numbers.

To finish second in this league and be free-scoring takes more than assembling a decent squad and throwing them on the pitch with nothing more than a pat on the back and an ‘enjoy yourselves lads.’
You don’t score a decent return of goals in this league, or almost any league, without patterns of play, tactics and a game plan. Especially against the better teams where our results under Ole are usually good.

It just takes a lot more than that, people are happy to downplay these points from last season including a ridiculous away record and pretend it’s nothing more than ‘individual quality.’

It’s just ‘Individual quality’ when we win and entirely the managers fault when we lose.
It’s an incredibly naive outlook that flies in the face of logic and what’s possible in this league.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This one we hear a lot but I’m not really buying it.

We were out scoring the entire league for the majority of last season being overtook in the end by City.

The goals were spread across the front line and Bruno, not from one single source or outstanding player, like a Ronaldo or a Kane who rack up big numbers.

To finish second in this league and be free-scoring takes more than assembling a decent squad and throwing them on the pitch with nothing more than a pat on the back and an ‘enjoy yourselves lads.’
You don’t score a decent return of goals in this league, or almost any league, without patterns of play, tactics and a game plan. Especially against the better teams where our results under Ole are usually good.

It just takes a lot more than that, people are happy to downplay these points from last season including a ridiculous away record and pretend it’s nothing more than ‘individual quality.’

It’s just ‘Individual quality’ when we win and entirely the managers fault when we lose.
It’s an incredibly naive outlook that flies in the face of logic and what’s possible in this league.
You've definitely got a point there. When the stars align you played very good attacking football. I must admit that I don't watch every United match but I saw the one against Sheffield and the EL final and I just don't believe that a team managed by the more methodical coaches out there would ever look so toothless despite having so much quality.

I believe that you're looking the most threatening when facing an opponent that offers you space in behind. Especially if the pressing doesn't work, you're deadly with the pace and passers you have in your team. But that's only taking you so far, especially in a league contest.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Funny to see Bailey hit the ground running in this cameo, but we’ve let to see Sancho spark. Hopefully tomorrow!

James Peril

Funny to see Bailey hit the ground running in this cameo, but we’ve let to see Sancho spark. Hopefully tomorrow!
Bailey is fast, Sancho is kind of slow.. Bailey’s style is much more suited to the Premier League with Villa’s counters and so on. Not comparing the two at all, but yeah, it would have been great if Sancho was a bit speedier to be honest. He’s not going to play Düsseldorf and Mainz or whatever they’re called in England.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

He might prove me wrong down the line but even during his Dortmund days, I always thought he was a player who'd need to move into a more central position to be successful outside of the Bundesliga. Kind of what Neymar did once he moved away from Barcelona.

He's not slow by any mean but he doesn't have that burst of pace which is nearly mandatory for a winger in the modern game.

West Ham 1:2 Man Utd

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sancho’s confidence is low; the profile he’s keeping; not being bold or trying to take his men on, all smacks of him trying to find his feet and get with the pace of the league as well as the flow within his new team, but that doesn’t mean individually he can’t try to be more direct.

I hope he settles down sooner rather than later; he’s holding back by sum margin at the moment.

saivet

Some nice moments but want him to be a bit braver. Hope he starts in the league cup.

Bobski

He needs a moment to announce himself, actually thought for a second there that he had scored the winner instead of Lingard. The beauty of streaming.

Kag

He needs a moment to announce himself, actually thought for a second there that he had scored the winner instead of Lingard. The beauty of streaming.
This. He’ll be fine once he’s up and running. We’re lucky that we have lots of good options in the meantime.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm hoping he has a good game against West Ham on Wednesday and kicks on.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well still early days, but I think right now he is behind Pogba, Greenwood and even Lingard, in terms of performance/impact. But he will be given more time to adapt into new league.

He's playing like a wide version of Van De Beek right now.

0 dribbles attempted too. Didn't even exert himself on the pressing/defensive side, despite coming on with fresh legs.

Nick7

Looked sharp, but we didn’t utilise him much. Weirdly I think Lingard is the perfect player to play alongside him. Looking forward to seeing those two and Rashford together.

Status
Not open for further replies.