5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember the geese

Southgate's man management really does leave a lot to be desired. It was clear that Ole wasn't impressed with his handling of Greenwood, which was in contrast to the kid-glove treatment he was receiving at United. Now he takes an unnecessary, unprovoked shot at Sancho. What is he trying to achieve?

SoCross

Wtf is Southgate playing at? Amazing, zero management skills. His statement achieves nothing.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Southgate's man management really does leave a lot to be desired. It was clear that Ole wasn't impressed with his handling of Greenwood, which was in contrast to the kid-glove treatment he was receiving at United. Now he takes an unnecessary, unprovoked shot at Sancho. What is he trying to achieve?
He’s right about the form and is the first person of any note to publicly point out that Sancho should be playing a more effective game but yeah, I don’t think this is clever man management at all. After throwing him to the wolves with the penalty too. Southgate doesn’t seem to be that sharp or sympathetic when it comes to the younger guys. It’s very much sink or swim and he seems to treat them like seasoned pros. He’s lucky he has such a big pool of players to select from because in most other jobs you’d surely be trying to coax better out of young players like Sancho who are already under massive pressure anyway with the arm around the shoulder approach and not by drawing even more attention to it?

Remember the geese

He’s right about the form and is the first person of any note to publicly point out that Sancho should be playing a more effective game but yeah, I don’t think this is clever man management at all. After throwing him to the wolves with the penalty too. Southgate doesn’t seem to be that sharp or sympathetic when it comes to the younger guys. It’s very much sink or swim and he seems to treat them like seasoned pros. He’s lucky he has such a big pool of players to select from because in most other jobs you’d surely be trying to coax better out of young players like Sancho who are already under massive pressure anyway with the arm around the shoulder approach and not by drawing even more attention to it?
Yeah, agreed. Sancho isn't playing particularly well, but having his national team manager pointing it out publicly isn't going to help him. It just adds unnecessary pressure. Not a chance that Ole would have gone down this road. Difference between someone who was schooled by Fergie and someone who wasn't. Although to be honest, it's just common decency.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Slightly concerned how he's going to intergrade into our play. We're not as intricate or incisive in our short game as BVB are, clearly.

Overal, the football we've played recently has been truly dreadful and its getting the best out of practically no one.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah, agreed. Sancho isn't playing particularly well, but having his national team manager pointing it out publicly isn't going to help him. It just adds unnecessary pressure. Not a chance that Ole would have gone down this road. Difference between someone who was schooled by Fergie and someone who wasn't. Although to be honest, it's just common decency.
Maybe the good cop bad cop approach will work? I know which management style id prefer as an employee anyway!

Crashoutcassius

Has been poor but I think he will find pockets of good form during the year. He is a combination player and maybe not the winger people expected. Easy to forget how young he is too. Fans should ignore the price tag, he will be a good player for us for years

CloneMC16

I don't know why Southgate said what he did. If he wants to talk about a player not deserving of a place in the squad, he should be talking about Kane. I do really like that Ole doesn't talk negatively about our players in public. I don't like managers that do it.

Sancho did go past his man a few times. It's the first game where I've felt like he's tried to take his man on and succeeded at doing it. I hope he keeps doing that and isn't too afraid to make mistakes.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I saw lots of fight in him in last game. He's improving: more movement, take on players, get into good position to strike.
Not at the rate all of us are hoping, but it gives glimpses of more to come.

Bondi77

It is not as if Sancho is not aware of it as everyone who watches football is and if Sancho is going to feel pressure from things like that then he really needs to put his hands down his pants and see if there is anything there!

Blood Mage

Sancho will struggle to succeed under kick and rush merchants like Southgate and Ole, we already know that. It's for the best that he stays out of the England team for now anyway.

GledTheRed

Southgate is an absolute mug.

These comments and not selecting Greenwood and Toney are truly baffling.

Big nosed boring cnut.

Bondi77

Sounds like Sancho has a good chance of starting tomorrow going by Ole's comments. Would be odd to drop him considering he thought he was "electric" Wednesday night.
There was only one winger that was electric and he was not wearing a red jersey.

steve.crowford

Sancho does badly because we don't play good possession football as a team. He's not a high octane direct footballer, like Rashford and Bruno. He's an intricate give and go player. Unless we improve the possession play in this team he'll struggle.

Brightonian

Slightly concerned how he's going to intergrade into our play. We're not as intricate or incisive in our short game as BVB are, clearly.

Overal, the football we've played recently has been truly dreadful and its getting the best out of practically no one.
This is the comment of someone who's not actually watched any of the football you're talking about. The reason he's having to adjust to football here is not because BVB's attacking style is more 'intricate', it's sort of the opposite. They play in the Bundesliga where the football is so much more open and a huge number of goals are scored on the counter. He's having to learn to play against more pragmatic defences and in consistently tighter spaces, not in constant 2-on-2s with Haaland or Reus.

Everyone just needs to be more patient. He looks a little better each game and will continue to settle in. Look at Havertz at Chelsea. That's the integration timescale I'd be expecting for Sancho too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Southgate really is a bit stupid isn’t he? how on earth can his comments help. all they’ll do is add more pressure.

Glad Ole said he was fantastic on Wednesday though, he really was first half.

MDFC Manager

I saw lots of fight in him in last game. He's improving: more movement, take on players, get into good position to strike.
Not at the rate all of us are hoping, but it gives glimpses of more to come.
Perhaps the Germans on here can confirm but I did read that he's generally a slow starter and really kicks on as the season progresses.

Leonzo1

He is getting better each game. Newcastle West ham in the cup and Villareal were good cameos from him. Not worried at all. He is exactly the type of player you expect to struggle at first. Just Needs that first goal or asisst to kick start his season.

HackeyC

I thought he looked massively improved today. Much more threat and composure, hopefully a sign of things to come.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Need to do a lot more. He's being brought on against tired defenders, beating a man once or twice is the bar minimum.

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
Sancho is a strange player. He's creative, has great vision and an excellent decision-maker. But he is s-l-o-w. Oh, so slow for a winger.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really good today, a shame about the shot but the angle was really tight. Same suspects will be on slating him all day I’m sure.

spiriticon

Was great in general but his pace is laughable.

Those chicken legs are moving like fury and his speed is about 2 mph

Woodenlung

He's not very quick and probably won't be a huge threat one on one. But he has excellent movement and vision. Created a few decent chances that probably should have been seized upon. Good performance and another that can be built upon after a better showing against Villarreal.

marktan

Looked better but we still really need more. Can't afford to be scuffing chances like the one at the end. There's a bit of an academy prospect vibe with him currently, in that you hope that he'll do something good when he gets the ball but you don't expect it.

Martial looked better out there it has to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.