5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betson

It is a catch 22 situation now , he needs games to get some momentum going and see if he can find some form , but in his current form you just cannot start him ahead of Greenwood , Rashford .

Not Sancho's fault but you do wonder about the wisdom of paying out 70M for him and all the time that was involved during the window when our priorities should have been elsewhere..

As a club we just don't look like we know what we are doing.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Long term I have high hopes for him, maybe not under the current management unfortunately.

Andersons Dietician

He’s sort of in a weird situation, there are moments in game where you can see what he’s about like those slipped balls in to Ronaldo. That’s the kind of things he was feeding Haaland with but to me hes picking up the ball to deep and then having no one to work with to get himself closer to goal. He’s got pace and ability to beat people but normally when he does this he slows down accelerates changes direction and so on. He’s not the type to pick it up halfway and just do a Gareth Bale or Rashford on you.

We need to be able to retain possesion and move the team up the pitch and have runners that make good runs so he can do what he does best which is commit people then find a dangerous pass.

Its so annoying that we do things like this all the time. Bring players in that have a certain skill set then play them in ways or positions that won’t get the best out of their skill set.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I've only watched snippets of him and United recently, so how well has Shaw supported him on the offense ?
That combination has to work for it to be effective, obviously. Also, Sancho has to pull his weight in helping Shaw out occasionally too.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's a shame he hasn't got to play with United when Bruno Fernandes was the main player of the team interlinking and scoring goals.

Feels like as a LW he could have settled in a bit easier if he had been signed last season (and I'm someone who didn't rate Sancho the most highly).

Ralph1386

Long term I have high hopes for him, maybe not under the current management unfortunately.
It's another Van De Beek situation where we have a talented player with great potential but the coaching staff have no idea how to use him. The only difference with VDB is that his price tag is higher so they can't justify benching him.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I've only watched snippets of him and United recently, so how well has Shaw supported him on the offense ?
That combination has to work for it to be effective, obviously. Also, Sancho has to pull his weight in helping Shaw out occasionally too.
As many have said, he seems to be surprisingly low on confidence. Not trying to go by defenders just passing back or sideways.

His partnership with Shaw is vitally important. Both need to operate as a team so as to maximize each other strengths.

Sancho needs to up his workrate significantly as at the moment, is not doing enough.

Andersons Dietician

Shaw has been there or there about but it’s just not clicking in my opinion.Then when it does slow down and there is people there in support to work with they all seem to just stand about like they are waiting for something to happen.
Compare it to when Martial came on against Everton you could see there was an understanding with Shaw and it just looked better.

I do feel like that in time Sancho will come good but the team really needs to sort out it’s structural issues for me to get the best out of a lot of players.

GlasgowCeltic

For his own benefit he's probably best off playing as selfishly as the others do, just shoot on sight mate.

RooneyLegend

The support play from Shaw yesterday was absolutely shocking. The beauty in playing inverted wingers is in their predictibility. We know where he's going so the movement from left back should be accordingly. Shaw is great in the first two thirds but in the final third he really isn't all that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
You would've thought our management knew what they were getting, regarding Sancho. We were chasing him for two years, arguably longer if you believe the reports of us inquiring over him just before he left City.

RUCK4444

The support play from Shaw yesterday was absolutely shocking. The beauty in playing inverted wingers is in their predictibility. We know where he's going so the movement from left back should be accordingly. Shaw is great in the first two thirds but in the final third he really isn't all that.
Agree on Shaw, he’s been way off what he was last season.

I think he can be excellent in the final third, he used to overlap and link with Rashford excellently, he just hasn’t bothered going into that final third at all this season.

Almost every single time Sancho gets the ball on the left he has nobody to link with down that side, he’s forced to play it back into the middle, the opposite of what he had at Dortmund especially when he played on the right with the likes of Hakimi.

ForeverRed1

James was better. Amad would almost certainly be doing better too.
NO he isn’t. And no he wouldn’t.

we are not set up to play to sanchos strengths. He is not a fast paced direct winger. He’s about technique and skill. Quick fluid passing and movement. Dortmund was built around patterns of play that suited him down to a tee.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I can’t get enough of watching him play. He is everything I wanted James to do. Every time he has possession it either results in advancement or a key pass. It’s exactly all you need with a winger.

If he had a system that allowed him predictable off the ball patterns then he would be sitting on 30+ A+G a season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Sancho has had a slow start, but is it really that surprising? Bear in mind he's only 10 games into his Utd career so it's still very early days.

He's been slowly improving every match, with his substitute performance against Everton being his first 'good' match IMO. Unfortunately that improvement ended against Leicester where he did largely struggle again, but it's very early on in a team that is generally struggling to gel at all. The amount of underhit passes he's making leads me to think he's lacking some confidence and overthinking everything at the moment. I expect he will come good eventually even if we continue with the current style, but if we do change style (new manager?) to a more tactical pass-and-move system then I expect he'll quickly become one of the corner-stones of the team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe Favre can rekindle that Dortmund form for him?
Favre is a coach who favours possession football, so someone like Ten Hag would also be someone that could have the same effect IMO.

But I completely disagree with people who suggest a possible loan to the like of Brentford, that would be very bad for his morale IMO and has the potential to destroy his confidence. It's best we stay patient.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Maybe Favre can rekindle that Dortmund form for him?
If you want to get a manager who gets the best out if him you should probably poach Terzic from Dortmund and not Favre. Under Favre he was also not effective last season, he (like many others in Dortmund) improved a lot when Terzic took over. Also Terzic' way to play football would fit United better than Favre's I think.

youmeletsfly

He’s sort of in a weird situation, there are moments in game where you can see what he’s about like those slipped balls in to Ronaldo. That’s the kind of things he was feeding Haaland with but to me hes picking up the ball to deep and then having no one to work with to get himself closer to goal. He’s got pace and ability to beat people but normally when he does this he slows down accelerates changes direction and so on. He’s not the type to pick it up halfway and just do a Gareth Bale or Rashford on you.

We need to be able to retain possession and move the team up the pitch and have runners that make good runs so he can do what he does best which is commit people then find a dangerous pass.

Its so annoying that we do things like this all the time. Bring players in that have a certain skill set then play them in ways or positions that won’t get the best out of their skill set.
That's his biggest issue, space. As our upfront movement is absolutely fecking gash, he needs to create space for himself and that kinda fecks him up, he's always against 2 players.

Until our attacking tactics are sorted, all of our wide players like Rashford and Sancho will look clueless.

Sancho will come good, no worries.

padzilla

Hipster
Are Dortmund players cursed to underperform when we sign them? Kagawa, Mkhitaryan and now Sancho?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I'm really not concerned on him yet.

Would also be nice to see him on the bloody right.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can’t get enough of watching him play. He is everything I wanted James to do. Every time he has possession it either results in advancement or a key pass. It’s exactly all you need with a winger.

If he had a system that allowed him predictable off the ball patterns then he would be sitting on 30+ A+G a season.
His possession work is great, just needs to add a few more runs in behind.

He would never have scored the Rashford goal as he'd be looking to come to feet etc.

If he can just mix it up that bit more i'll be very happy. I do think that right now Having Rashford left, and playing Sancho right as a roaming playmaker will be the best option.

Bobski

Utd, and England for that matter are never going to perfectly recreate that style Dortmund have. Up to him to evolve his game and adapt, be more direct at times, make more of those runs behind that led to the Chilwell goal for England. He is an intelligent enough player to make those changes.

dinostar77

Interesting Transfer Window podcast, Duncan Castles quoting a Utd source who has said fellow Utd players are disappointed in Sancho in training and in matches. Very poor attitude in training and not pulling his weight.

Performances in training haven't been up to par, making mistakes in training not expected of a player of his level.

Coaching staff concerns over his lack of pace. This could be because in Germany many teams play a high press so Sancho could knock the ball past then and use his pace over 5-10 yards to get a cross in etc. Whereas in PL, defenders are standing off him and he doesnt have a 2nd gear change of pace after 5-10 yards which is causing him an issue.

Could be just an adaption period issue to the PL, coaching or fitness or lack of maturity. He is only 21 years old after all.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Interesting Transfer Window podcast, Duncan Castles quoting a Utd source who has said fellow Utd players are disappointed in Sancho in training and in matches. Very poor attitude in training and not pulling his weight.

Performances in training haven't been up to par, making mistakes in training not expected of a player of his level.

Coaching staff concerns over his lack of pace. This could be because in Germany many teams play a high press so Sancho could knock the ball past then and use his pace over 5-10 yards to get a cross in etc. Whereas in PL, defenders are standing off him and he doesnt have a 2nd gear change of pace after 5-10 yards which is causing him an issue.

Could be just an adaption period issue to the PL, coaching or fitness or lack of maturity. He is only 21 years old after all.
Excellent work from the scouting team again, if true.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Excellent work from the scouting team again, if true.
Most definitely it is not. While a high press is used by many German teams, not everyone does it and he had not trouble to be influential against low blocks. Actually I think that his lack of pace is a bigger problem against teams that press high, as he slows down counter attacks due to this.

But compared to Dortmund he has a massive lack of options to play to in the way United are lacking coherent movement.

However if United really should have expected him to beat low blocks with speed instead of playmaking, then fecking hell, something is horribly wrong there too.

If Sancho is not pulling his weight in training it is definitely an issue, sadly not a new one. He had times in Dortmund were there was also a heavy amount of doubt over his commitment and work rate. Sometimes seemed to be related to the role the managers saw him in, so maybe this is a (quite unprofessional) reaction to the way Solskjaer wants him to play, but he was also absolutely great during other times (and coaches...)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
To me, I think there's just a lot of pressure on him. When he scores or lays on a good assist, I think we'll see him blossom.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
To me, I think there's just a lot of pressure on him. When he scores or lays on a good assist, I think we'll see him blossom.
I agree. He was very bright individually vs. Everton but unfortunately nothing came off for him. The setup didn't exactly help him out either, with Shaw never offering the overlap, and him constantly isolated vs. 2 defenders at all times.

He's just got to keep going, with his talent there's no doubt he'll shine eventually.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I agree. He was very bright individually vs. Everton but unfortunately nothing came off for him. The setup didn't exactly help him out either, with Shaw never offering the overlap, and him constantly isolated vs. 2 defenders at all times.

He's just got to keep going, with his talent there's no doubt he'll shine eventually.
Yeah, not sure what game it was where in the middle of the goal, edge of the box, ball comes to him - he slips over.

Sadly we obviously can't afford for him much time with everyone else wobbling too.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

I don't know if this is true but this is why I was never that impressed by his Champions League performances for Dortmund and National League performances for England. It was only his Bundesliga performances that seemed to be talked about most of the time.

Either way, he is ours now and hopefully he adapts his game to the league and becomes a better player because of what he has to do and how he has to take his defenders on.

If he can learn to do that then hopefully he can become a better player than even he expected.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
People talking about his skills and all. In the last game, he got dispossessed of the ball like a 15 yeah. Just pushed over. Bit of a Martial syndrome with him as well. A lot of complaining to the ref.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
No point buying him if you are not going to play him in his best position off the right.
He had some of his best games for Dortmund on the left. Position is not the problem, lack of patterns of play that fit his style however is.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Interesting stat from Sky last night, out of all the forwards in the PL, Sancho is the only one that presses the most from United. We really cannot afford to have ronaldo and greenwood both in the team, neither of whom do any sort of pressing. I love greenwood and I think he is going to be a top player for us, but right now, as a RW, I think he needs to be dropped for the sake of the team. I would play:

Rashford - Cavani - Sancho

I think that would help with our pressing from the top.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Interesting stat from Sky last night, out of all the forwards in the PL, Sancho is the only one that presses the most from United. We really cannot afford to have ronaldo and greenwood both in the team, neither of whom do any sort of pressing. I love greenwood and I think he is going to be a top player for us, but right now, as a RW, I think he needs to be dropped for the sake of the team. I would play:

Sancho - Cavani - Sancho

I think that would help with our pressing from the top.
We invented the cloning process? Neat

Status
Not open for further replies.