5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmanNits04

When he went to Bundesliga, there were some videos of the analysis of his play, how he changed his gameplay to suit the team and the league.
Earlier he was too dormant and stood still a lot during attacking, but then the subsequent season he started charging and attacking more, he got more success because of it.
He isn't 18 anymore and I am sure he won't require a full season to bed in, this time around, him getting used to the league will be faster.
We just have to be patient with him, it's a new team, new system and new league entirely for him.
Out of all the signings, I am sure he will do really well.

OverratedOpinion

I always wondered if Sancho was actually better than Rashford as it was hard to know what Rashford would do in Germany. It was always my belief that Rashford would be a bigger impact player than Jadon as Marcus is always good for a goal or assist. Seeing Marcus come back into the team and make immediate impact I am not sure Jadon will kick him out of the team which many were certain of. Same with Greenwood
It is still early days and Sancho may prove to be a player of that level, especially considering his age and Greenwood potentially moving up front eventually.

I do think if Rashford was in a cohesive attacking team he would score 30 goals a season as a winger. Looking round Europe there are very few players you can say that about and he gets nowhere near enough credit for his outrageous productivity as a winger/wide forward.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He'll be fine long term. My opinion in the summer was that just because he cost £70m+ doesn't make him better than Rashford and Greenwood and a sure starter for us, it's a high bar.

Scholsey2004

Let's not write him off after one season but for 70+ millions you are looking for a real prospect, capable of changing game, right now he seems frightened to impose himself on the game. He's still very young and it's his first year with us in a dysfunctional team so these can be his excuses, but excellent players can overcome these, so let's just hope he can get up to speed of the game quickly.

BTW I wouldn't mind to give him a chance as a no10, he's played there and he can be more wasteful than Bruno, would give us different ideas there and would finally bench (as a rotation) one year and a half underperforming untouchable player who deserves to have the same treatment as others.

Rashford and Greenwood deserve to start so not many positions left to play him and 20 minutes here and there won't get him up to speed.
Well, it looks like Lingard and van de Beek may both be off soon so he'd definitely be a leading candidate for Bruno's spot when he's not playing.

Stacks

I remember they quoted 120million. Approx 2 times has a player that cost over 100m actually justified their fees. I am glad that
a) he cost 74mill
b) we signed Ronaldo.

he has been afforded cameo roles and no one really speaking too much about his start. Contrast this with Nicolas Pepe. The lack of pressure will hopefully help Jadon and he can take his time as we have Rashford back and Greenwood

Zoo

We finally got to see him on the right. With Rashford back and adding a new dimension to the team Sancho now needs to be allowed to settle down in one position, rotate with Greenwood on the right and build up a partnership with AWB.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I always wondered if Sancho was actually better than Rashford as it was hard to know what Rashford would do in Germany. It was always my belief that Rashford would be a bigger impact player than Jadon as Marcus is always good for a goal or assist. Seeing Marcus come back into the team and make immediate impact I am not sure Jadon will kick him out of the team which many were certain of. Same with Greenwood
I doubt Rashford could replicate what Sancho did for Dortmund. He's too onedimensional as a player to become that good. But he can be better in a rather dysfunctional team since he can still outrun a player, get at the end of the occasional desperate long ball or score a goal from range.

The issue with United is, they don't play as a collective and then draw all the wrong conclusions. Too many players with Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood and Pogba that only know one direction and aren't disciplined enough in the build up phase. Of course this also has to do with tactical instructions, automatisms, etc.

I really, really hope you get rid of Solskjaer. Sancho is one of my favorite players and it is sad to see him like this. Things will only get worse if the coach now decides to play him on the right to make room for Rashford. His position was more or less the only thing he got right so far.

Stacks

I doubt Rashford could replicate what Sancho did for Dortmund. He's too onedimensional as a player to become that good. But he can be better in a rather dysfunctional team since he can still outrun a player, get at the end of the occasional desperate long ball or score a goal from range.

The issue with United is, they don't play as a collective and then draw all the wrong conclusions. Too many players with Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood and Pogba that only know one direction and aren't disciplined enough in the build up phase.

I really, really hope you get rid of Solskjaer. Sancho is one of my favorite players and it is sad to see him like this. Things will only get worse if the coach now decides to play him on the right to make room for Rashford. His position was more or less the only thing he got right so far.
Werner better than Rashford? Rashford is proven effective at this level from LWF so you have to earn your place.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Werner better than Rashford? Rashford is proven effective at this level from LWF so you have to earn your place.
What has Werner to do with this?

Rashford is by no means a bad player but Sancho is better in my view. He is far superior as a playmaker and comparably good as a scorer.

Rashford is by no means a bad player but Sancho is better in my view. He is far superior as a playmaker and comparably good as a scorer.
Lets wait and see how Sancho does in the PL. He clearly needs time to settle in to the league, and the pressure of playing for a huge club.

I'm sure he'll do really well here but no point comparing him and Rashford at this stage.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Lets wait and see how Sancho does in the PL. He clearly needs time to settle in to the league, and the pressure of playing for a huge club.

I'm sure he'll do really well here but no point comparing him and Rashford at this stage.
I think it has much more to do with the club, team and system he's now in than the league. It's clear that a player like him will look like a fish out of water the way you play. It is really weird that you pursued him for two years and paid so much money for him to then use him completely differently to how he excelled at Dortmund.

I think it has much more to do with the club, team and system he's now in than the league. It's clear that a player like him will look like a fish out of water the way you play. It is really weird that you pursued him for two years and paid so much money for him to then use him completely differently to how he excelled at Dortmund.
Across English football through the years we've seen quite a few players from the Bundesliga needing quite a bit of time to adapt to the PL. It's not an issue unique to Sancho.

Clearly the plan for Sancho was to play right wing and Greenwood to play upfront - but United got the chance to sign Ronaldo! So Greenwood remains out wide. Not great for Sancho but getting Ronaldo is more more important to United than Sancho. That's just the way it goes. But Sancho is 21 and going to have a long successful career at United so no need to panic or pretend United have ruined his career in the 2 months he's been here...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Across English football through the years we've seen quite a few players from the Bundesliga needing quite a bit of time to adapt to the PL. It's not an issue unique to Sancho.

Clearly the plan for Sancho was to play right wing and Greenwood to play upfront - but United got the chance to sign Ronaldo! So Greenwood remains out wide. Not great for Sancho but getting Ronaldo is more more important to United than Sancho. That's just the way it goes. But Sancho is 21 and going to have a long successful career at United so no need to panic or pretend United have ruined his career in the 2 months he's been here...
That has nothing to do with the EPL, it is a general phenomenon when a player joins a new club and has to find his role in a new system. You even saw it with superstars like Messi or Cristiano when they joined weaker leagues.

And if the intention was to play him as a RW in this system, this is just awful, awful scouting. It is one thing if fans of a club in a different league think that way but if a professional football club can comes to the conclusion that they should plan with Sancho as a RW in this system, it is very worrying. He's as much of a RW as Neymar or Mané or as Messi or Salah are LW. Of course they can do a job there but you will never get the most out of the player this way.

This is pretty much why I'm not convinced this will turn out well, although I'm absolutey convinced of Sancho's quality.

Stacks

In Germany. Werner also scored goals in Germany. We need to wait and see if Jadon can do that here. At the moment he isn't threatening. I wonder how many Rashford would score in Germany with his pace and movement?

Stacks

That has nothing to do with the EPL, it is a general phenomenon when a player joins a new club and has to find his role in a new system. You even saw it with superstars like Messi or Cristiano when they joined weaker leagues.

And if the intention was to play him as a RW in this system, this is just awful, awful scouting. It is one thing if fans of a club in a different league think that way but if a professional football club can comes to the conclusion that they should plan with Sancho as a RW in this system, it is very worrying. He's as much of a RW as Neymar or Mané or as Messi or Salah are LW. Of course they can do a job there but you will never get the most out of the player this way.

This is pretty much why I'm not convinced this will turn out well, although I'm absolutey convinced of Sancho's quality.
Also why do you think Sancho is lower down in the pecking order for England behind players like Sterling, Saka, Rashford, Grealish, Foden etc? is it the system again?

OL29

This is such a disservice to Rashford’s game that it’s bordering on disrespectful. Rashford is far from one dimensional, in fact I’d argue that he’s more complete than Sancho given his ability to be effective in an incohesive team.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
In Germany. Werner also scored goals in Germany. We need to wait and see if Jadon can do that here. At the moment he isn't threatening. I wonder how many Rashford would score in Germany with his pace and movement?
That's a really superficial way of adressing the topic, don't you think?

Also why do you think Sancho is lower down in the pecking order for England behind players like Sterling, Saka, Rashford, Grealish, Foden etc? is it the system again?
Because Southgate is clueless. And yes, it is also the system respectively the lack of it. No offense but Southgate and Solskjaer are rather traditional "Britisch" coaches without a profund understanding of modern tactics, IMO. And both are carried by the sheer quality of the squads they manage but in today's football, that is not enough.

This is such a disservice to Rashford’s game that it’s bordering on disrespectful. Rashford is far from one dimensional, in fact I’d argue that he’s more complete than Sancho given his ability to be effective in an incohesive team.
He's one dimensional in the sense that he's a very straight forward, vertical player.

Stacks

That's a really superficial way of adressing the topic, don't you think?

Because Southgate is clueless. And yes, it is also the system respectively the lack of it. No offense but Southgate and Solskjaer are rather traditional "Britisch" coaches without a profund understanding of modern tactics, IMO. And both are carried by the sheer quality of the squads they manage but in today's football, that is not enough.

He's one dimensional in the sense that he's a very straight forward, vertical player.
I kind of agree. So Sancho is more of a "system player?" I am only asking you as you know more than me. Do you feel Rashford would elevate in a system?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I kind of agree. So Sancho is more of a "system player?" I am only asking you as you know more than me. Do you feel Rashford would elevate in a system?

I think every player is a system player :) It just happens that at United the focal points in the squad are occupied by players that naturally work better with Rashford. Pogba and Bruno for example both are players who like to receive the ball and immediately look for the killer ball. Sancho on the other hand is a player who likes to receive the ball between the lines and to recycle it until spotting a weak link in the opponent's defensive line up. Rather savely advance it a small to medium range on the pitch than to risk losing it with a pass that would take out the majority of opponents. So Rashford who with his pace loves running inbehind and prefers to get the ball behind the defenders and not between the lines is naturally a much better fit to Pogba's and Bruno's decision making than Sancho. On the other hand, if you were to drop both teams into a team which also lacks a system but consists of players who prefer Sancho's way of playing, it would likely be the other way round. You sometimes get the feeling he receives the ball, passes it short and expects it to be passed back to him but instead somebody attempts a risky pass. His team mates intrinsically take the risky decision much earlier in the build up than him. And by adjusting to it, he often ends up in situations in which he doesn't really excel, e. g. one on ones against a pacey full back. It doesn't help to put Sancho on the pitch and pretend he's Rashford.

But these imbalances aren't insurmountable with a good coach. In fact, many teams flourish by combining players who love operating between the lines, dribbling in small spaces and playing one twos, with players who love to run behind and finish. The understanding with his team mates will likely improve as he settles in, but IMO you need a coach who forms those individuals into a collective. Somebody who tells Bruno and Pogba that they can't just do what they want and have to dispense their through ball attempts. Somebody who tells Rashford to dispense his shots and to hold his position in the build up etc. In the end, football often works that way that by not attempting a risky play the team ends up with better odds and if every player complies to that, they all end up in more situations in which they can play out their strengths.

KennyBurner

He refuses to take on his man when 1v1 consistently. This is a problem for us because I keep hearing he is a winger.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He refuses to take on his man when 1v1 consistently. This is a problem for us because I keep hearing he is a winger.
That's the thing @Zehner is talking about. He is not a 1v1 dribbling/running winger or wide forward, his style of play is being a wide playmaker. Expecting him to play like Rashford is stupid. He can beat his man 1v1, but he would usually do that to open a passing lane, not to move directly towards the goal like Rashford does.

And on the question if one is better, than my answer would be: There is not much difference in quality. Rashford is an exceptional wide forward, Sancho is a playmaker. Naturally Rashford therefore is much better at scoring more or less on his own by beating his man (like he very often does), while Sancho is much better being part of a well drilled passing team breaking down other teams as a whole.

And on the hypothetical question "what if we would put Rashford in Sanchos spot at Dortmund" my answer would be: Dortmund as a whole would suffer from that compared to having Sancho. You don't win much when you already play Reus and Haaland in the center when you add another outright finisher to the team, but you are in danger that these run in each others way. Sancho feeding them is much better for the team.

Replacing Reus with a classic No 10 and putting Rashford in Dortmund's team on LW however would make Rashford much more efficient.

So yes I fully believe it depends on the players around them, and I do agree with @Zehner (which is a rare thing :lol:) that the way Sancho seemed to be expected to play so far (as a direct Rashford replacement) is a very stupid way to use him.

KennyBurner

That's the thing @Zehner is talking about. He is not a 1v1 dribbling/running winger or wide forward, his style of play is being a wide playmaker. Expecting him to play like Rashford is stupid. He can beat his man 1v1, but he would usually do that to open a passing lane, not to move directly towards the goal like Rashford does.

And on the question if one is better, than my answer would be: There is not much difference in quality. Rashford is an exceptional wide forward, Sancho is a playmaker. Naturally Rashford therefore is much better at scoring more or less on his own by beating his man (like he very often does), while Sancho is much better being part of a well drilled passing team breaking down other teams as a whole.

And on the hypothetical question "what if we would put Rashford in Sanchos spot at Dortmund" my answer would be: Dortmund as a whole would suffer from that compared to having Sancho. You don't win much when you already play Reus and Haaland in the center when you add another outright finisher to the team, but you are in danger that these run in each others way. Sancho feeding them is much better for the team.

Replacing Reus with a classic No 10 and putting Rashford in Dortmund's team on LW however would make Rashford much more efficient.

So yes I fully believe it depends on the players around them, and I do agree with @Zehner (which is a rare thing :lol:) that the way Sancho seemed to be expected to play so far (as a direct Rashford replacement) is a very stupid way to use him.
I agree with most of what you have written but that Rashford in Dortmund section is rubbish. Rashford would blitz through the whole league. Dortmund have enough creativity with Sancho to support a physical specimen like Rashford which is the difference.
I think the struggles Sancho is facing here is adapting to the physicality. He can’t hack it right now and would need some conditioning. You pair that with the fact we have an awful coaching system and unbalanced team and you start to realize he is a bit fecked at the moment. Also we don’t have time for him to adjust. It’s all a mess at United right now.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I agree with most of what you have written but that Rashford in Dortmund section is rubbish. Rashford would blitz through the whole league. Dortmund have enough creativity with Sancho to support a physical specimen like Rashford which is the difference.
I meant playing Rashford in Sancho's spot, not together with him. That would mean Dortmund field to physical players (Haaland, Rashford) and massively lack creativity. Not denying Rashford would score well there, but as a whole Dortmund would not be stronger with Rashford instead of Sancho as he would probably take goals from Reus/Haaland while creating less for them than Sancho did.

Stacks

I meant playing Rashford in Sancho's spot, not together with him. That would mean Dortmund field to physical players (Haaland, Rashford) and massively lack creativity. Not denying Rashford would score well there, but as a whole Dortmund would not be stronger with Rashford instead of Sancho as he would probably take goals from Reus/Haaland while creating less for them than Sancho did.
more goal scorers the better and Reus is a 10 goal per season player

Bondi77

After we brought in Varane and Sancho Ole said he was really happy with the business Utd had done as he had strengthened two positions of concern and that anything else was a bonus; those positions would have to be CD and RW but I just cannot see Sancho getting in front of Mason in that position and Ronnie and Cavani will occupy the CF positions for at least this season so Mason won’t be moved centrally in the near future.
Seems to me we have paid 73mil for a squad option and while we need squad depth along with VDB at 35-40mil I really do not think that was the intention at the time of these purchases.

Siezard

Sancho was brought in mainly to take the RW position which was supposedly vacated for years. In the past season, people were saying Greenwood is not the natural RW and he needs to play Striker (Centre). He can't create very well. Amazing how the narratives have changed suddenly this season and Greenwood is now ahead of Sancho in RW most of the time.

Bondi77

Sancho was brought in mainly to take the RW position which was supposedly vacated for years. In the past season, people were saying Greenwood is not the natural RW and he needs to play Striker (Centre). He can't create very well. Amazing how the narratives have changed suddenly this season and Greenwood is now ahead of Sancho in RW most of the time.
The narrative hasn’t really changed amongst the people that realise Mason has always been a natural footballer and the RW position is the best position for him to get the most room to utilise the great ability he has to strike from either side. Sancho will get enough opportunities to come good as we have spent a fortune on him and based on his time at Dortmund at least we have some cover for both wings.

Mr PG

I think the struggles Sancho is facing here is adapting to the physicality. He can’t hack it right now and would need some conditioning. You pair that with the fact we have an awful coaching system and unbalanced team and you start to realize he is a bit fecked at the moment. Also we don’t have time for him to adjust. It’s all a mess at United right now.
This is so right. Sancho Will eventually have to hit the weight room to fulfill his potential here. When I watch him I see an outrageously gifted kid especially his final ball after every dribble is amazing but he’s lightweight and that is holding him back in the premier league. Rashford will have a storming season after he hit the gymn in his time off and you can already see signs of that after his return… Sancho will need the same.

Siezard

Think maybe Sancho will produce his assist soon. Time to bring him to the field.

Sancho is the best dribbler at man utd.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He could end up like VDB even after a year of settling. With things going so far, he could be just one of the player who is good for another team in another league under good system, but near to non existence in disjointed team in PL.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Think maybe Sancho will produce his assist soon. Time to bring him to the field.

Pogba is leaving soon (Unless he signs a contract) and Sancho will become the next king of assists.
Before he can be claimed as the king of assists, he has to be be actually provide an assist first. Let’s take things a little more realistic.

Varun

Staff
We rely completely on individual brilliance especially from our wide players. He'll continue to struggle till we get a system going which in all likelihood will only happen once there's a new manager. Till then, I think it'll be Greenwood and Rashford on the 2 flanks

stw2022

Sancho is the best dribbler at man utd.
Manager doesn’t know how to use him. Doesn’t know how to use Ronaldo either but I can’t see him having that conversation in the big games, can you?

Status
Not open for further replies.