5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt851

I wasn't a big fan of us spending big on him, he's a decent player but I think he's more akin to the likes of Demari Gray and Adoman Lookman rather than say someone like Nani who had genuine moments of being world class. If you put any of those two into that Dortmund team that scores a boat load then they too would have put up big numbers.

The one wide forward that sticks out to me as having the potential to be genuinely great is St Maximin, it's a surprise to me no one's taking a punt on him. The ability to consistently skin players and have a decent final ball would be a huge asset in a team like ours. I'd honestly bite Newcastle's hands off if we could do a trade with Sancho and St Max.
I know everyone wants to pile in on sancho but comparing him to lookman and gray is funny considering they have both come back to the pl after failing to make an impact in Germany (look man had a good start). In fact both are looking a fair bit better in the pl.

Sancho has been poor but its another example of us not seeming to have done the most basic thinking about how signings would fit into our team. It seems we expected him to be more of direct winger who is very quick and relishes taking people on than what he is (more of a playmaking wide player)

troylocker

We had to wait a few seasons to see the best in Rooney, Ronaldo, and I imagine it will be similar with Sancho (obviously he won't hit their levels though). He needs time to adjust to the PL and his workshy teammates.
It took Ronaldo 3 seasons in England to go from being a very exciting talent without an impressive end product to a monster (with similar numbers to what Sancho delivered in Germany).

I don't think Sancho is goat material, but I think he deserves more than half a season to adapt to English football. We haven't seen Sancho at his best here yet.

Pickle85

It took Ronaldo 3 seasons in England to go from being a very exciting talent without an impressive end product to a monster (with similar numbers to what Sancho delivered in Germany).

I don't think Sancho is goat material, but I think he deserves more than half a season to adapt to English football. We haven't seen Sancho at his best here yet.
Absolutely agree. Let's not write him off just yet.

marktan

I know everyone wants to pile in on sancho but comparing him to lookman and gray is funny considering they have both come back to the pl after failing to make an impact in Germany (look man had a good start). In fact both are looking a fair bit better in the pl.

Sancho has been poor but its another example of us not seeming to have done the most basic thinking about how signings would fit into our team. It seems we expected him to be more of direct winger who is very quick and relishes taking people on than what he is (more of a playmaking wide player)
I'm just talking more in terms of raw talent, I've watched all 3 a decent amount and in terms of passing, dribbling, shooting they're all similar. Sancho's figures are helped by playing in a Dortmund team that scored double the average PL team does in the league, and that too in 34 games. I agree with you though on not researching what kind of player he is, but that's just been us post SAF with signings like AWB, Depay etc.

Stacks

This is so lazy! We can agree that the mentioned players has been either underwhelming, didn't get time to gel in or still has time to become good in the PL.
All the mentioned players were older and/or less impressive in Germany.....and of course there is sunshine stories as well (like KDB, Auba)

Sanco came her at 21 with a record from Germany of 50 goals and 64 assists in 135 games (9881 minutes) A goal or assist every 87 minutes since he was 17 years old.

Miki came to the PL at 27 with a record from Germany of 41 goals and 49 assists in 140 games (11124 minutes). A goal or assist every 124 minutes.
Kagawa came to the PL at 23 with a record from Germany of 29 goals and 16 assists in 71 games (5353 minutes). A goal or assist every 119 minutes.
Pulisic came to the PL at 21 with a record from Germany of 19 goals and 26 assists in 127 games (7495 minutes). A goal or assist every 167 minutes and has improved those numbers for Chelsea (20 goals and 16 assists in 5730 minutes - A goal or assist every 159 minutes for Chelsea.)
Havertz came to the PL at 21 with a record from Germany of 46 goals and 31 assists in 150 games (11304 minutes). A goal or assist every 147 minutes and has similar numbers for Chelsea (14 goals and 12 assists in 3951 minutes - A goal or assist every 159 minutes for Chelsea.)
Werner came to the PL at 24 with a record from Germany of 109 goals and 51 assists in 262 games (18288 minutes). A goal or assist every 114 minutes. (he had 1 realy good season for Leipzig and a couple of decent ones in his 7 seasons in Germany) And has been an underwhelming finisher most of all for Chelsea, with a goal or assist every 139 minutes we were all expecting more. The Chelsea examples all have a CL title which they all chipped in for, so it's hard to argue they have been total flops.

Grealish has a record of 32 goals and 46 assists in 213 games (15333 minutes) for Villa. A goal or assist every 197 minutes and went to City at 26 for north of 100M £ and has scored 3 and assisted 3 for them in 1496 minutes (A goal or assist every 249 minutes). Just saying....

It's way to early to write off young Mr. Sancho. His potential is enormous.
So you measure it only by goals and assists per minute even though some of these guys play different positions/roles?
Didn't Miki win player of the year?
Anyways it means nout if your skillsets aren't suited for the league you are currently in. Depay had nice stats in Holland and France yet even now he would flop in the EPL. The only hope I have is Sancho can turn into a Pires. What player like him would you compare, that has starred in the EPL?

Satsuma United

I have not given up on him. He has the talent, he just needs a systematic play around him because he isnt a De Bruyne, Salah these kind of players that can make something out of nothing.

Lets buiild the team around him, he is the future if we want United to play a modern Elite Football.

Stacks

Sancho doesn't look lost, he's actually doing quite a decent job considering how disjointed your whole team looks. Thing is that most of the people criticizing him here have nonclue what to look at if an attacker isn't lightning fast, powerful or takes lots of long shots.

Every player is dependent on the system by the way.

Reading EPL fans talk about their league you could think the balls in England have a different shape or something like that. The EPL is the best league in the world but not even close to being as special as you guys seem to think. Sancho looked better in the Bundesliga than 90% of the star players of a team that's every bit as strong as City and Liverpool. Why is he suddenly anonymous playing for United? Why is every player suddenly much worse playing for United?

It was simply an awful, awful career choice. If I was Sancho I'd sack my agent immediately.
As did Miki. The Bayern team in 2016 had better players even. Kawawa is another mention.

We have been scarred by Dortmund a lot so we are apprehensive

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Far too early to write him off but also important to understand that he just isn't what some fans thought he would be (a flashy, goal-scoring RW).

Bundesliga is a fast-paced, but wide open, broken field league. There are tons of opportunities to counter or run against the defense in transition, the overall athleticism and intensity of defenders is lower, etc. Rangnick himself has commented on this difference. Sancho's best qualities are composure, decision-making, and final ball and those qualities came out because he had time and space in transition. He could also thrive at RW despite being a right-footer because footedness matters less when you're in space and have time and more when you're playing against low blocks and you have very little time and space.

In the PL, he is going to be best as a LW that cuts inside on his right foot and is more of a creator than a goal scorer. But he'll need players around him on the same wavelength because he will thrive playing lots of one touch combinations and using his intelligence together with other players to find solutions on the field.

I'm not sure he really fits with United's other attacking players. You pass the ball to very direct goal-scoring players like Ronaldo or Greenwood or Rashford or Bruno and more often than not it doesn't come back.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just keeping thinking of him as young Mata, and we'll be fine.

I think he'll work well with certain players who have great technique - like Fernandes, Greenwood, Shaw - but not with those who aren't great with touch and passing (McT, Rashford, Ronaldo (now))

Still have great faith in him, he just looks quality. Need him to impose himself, but presumably that can be coached.

Siezard

As did Miki. The Bayern team in 2016 had better players even. Kawawa is another mention.

Miki was good. He even won the Europa and league cup for United. It was Mourinho who refused to play him. You don't expect Miki to score much when he keeps getting sub appearances as a midfielder!

He also went on to the Europa final with Arsenal but could not play due to international restrictions.

Then went on to score multiple goals for Roma.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Yeah no. I don't know how hyped up United fans got when you signed Kagawa or Mkhitaryan but they never did anything even slightly comparable to what Sancho did in the Bundesliga and nobody who actually followed those players would compare them. The guy put in several seasons that could keep up with what Ribery and Robben delivered in the league. Kagawa was a very good player for Dortmund, Mkhitaryan a trainwreck save for one season. Sancho was jaw dropping. I'd take the Sancho from his last two seasons over Haaland now. If you want to compare Sancho with a player from this era, then it should be Götze or de Bruyne. And even they weren't as good as him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So you measure it only by goals and assists per minute even though some of these guys play different positions/roles?
Didn't Miki win player of the year?
Anyways it means nout if your skillsets aren't suited for the league you are currently in. Depay had nice stats in Holland and France yet even now he would flop in the EPL. The only hope I have is Sancho can turn into a Pires. What player like him would you compare, that has starred in the EPL?
Bernardo Silva, Riyad Mahrez, etc.

Also, is it some god given law that you can't play a certain way in the EPL? How can City be that good then?

Truth be told, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. Pep has been dominating the EPL for years playing a way of which people argue it isn't suitable to England. Of course it is, it's just that nobody did it before. Football doesn't suddenly turn into a different sport just because you play it in a different place.

Stacks

Also, is it some god given law that you can't play a certain way in the EPL? How can City be that good then?

Truth be told, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. Pep has been dominating the EPL for years playing a way of which people argue it isn't suitable to England. Of course it is, it's just that nobody did it before. Football doesn't suddenly turn into a different sport just because you play it in a different place.
they are both far better dribblers and more direct. Mahrez is a tricky winger with a ping of a shot. He reminds me of Recoba. Bernado loves driving at teams and plays like a winger playing CM. a bit like Giggs late years at Utd.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

There's been possession sides long before Pep was around mate...

SATA

He looks absolutely in awe of Ronaldo when they are both on the pitch and always felt obligated to pass the ball to the Portuguese. Come on Jadon, i would say you are now a better player than him, go on and do your stuff. Don’t be afraid!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
they are both far better dribblers and more direct. Mahrez is a tricky winger with a ping of a shot. He reminds me of Recoba. Bernado loves driving at teams and plays like a winger playing CM. a bit like Giggs late years at Utd.
A far better dribbler? Sancho is twice the dribbler Bernardo Silva is, although I absolutely love the latter, too.

Just for the record, last season in an across leagues comparison, Sancho was

Third in ball contacts per game (behind Messi and Neymar)
Second in passes per game (behind Messi)
Second in chances created per game (behind Neymar)
Third in dribbles per game (behind Neymar and Messi)

among all wide forwards. He basically builded a cluster of his own with Neymar and Messi.

There's been possession sides long before Pep was around mate...
It's not (only) about possession.

Stacks

A far better dribbler? Sancho is twice the dribbler Bernardo Silva is, although I absolutely love the latter, too.

Third in ball contacts per game (behind Messi and Neymar)
Second in passes per game (behind Messi)

among all wide forwards. He basically builded a cluster of his own with Neymar and Messi.

It's not (only) about possession.
none of that stuff translates outside the Bundesliga. with all due respect Bundesliga is a weird league. Maybe its the pace. maybe its the defenders. who knows? Jadon isn't as dazzling when not donning the famous yellow. Even his ability to beat players is nothing special when he dons the red or white (Utd + Eng).

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Sancho doesn't look lost, he's actually doing quite a decent job considering how disjointed your whole team looks. Thing is that most of the people criticizing him here have nonclue what to look at if an attacker isn't lightning fast, powerful or takes lots of long shots.

Every player is dependent on the system by the way.

Reading EPL fans talk about their league you could think the balls in England have a different shape or something like that. The EPL is the best league in the world but not even close to being as special as you guys seem to think. Sancho looked better in the Bundesliga than 90% of the star players of a team that's every bit as strong as City and Liverpool. Why is he suddenly anonymous playing for United? Why is every player suddenly much worse playing for United?

It was simply an awful, awful career choice. If I was Sancho I'd sack my agent immediately.
I don't find myself agreeing with fans of other teams too often, but when it happens shit is real. 100% of everything said in this post.

UncleBob

Miki was good. He even won the Europa and league cup for United. It was Mourinho who refused to play him. You don't expect Miki to score much when he keeps getting sub appearances as a midfielder!

He also went on to the Europa final with Arsenal but could not play due to international restrictions.

Then went on to score multiple goals for Roma.
Not really.

He basically builded a cluster of his own with Neymar and Messi.
By what dribbling metric?

Just on sheer 'successful dribbles' he's 8th - but at a much lower success rate than the real elite dribblers. Even on a per 90 basis he's not up there, and obviously the low success rate stays the same.

Shot Creations per 90 he was 12th - right behind Alexis Sanchez.

Didn't check the other two. These just stood out to me.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What is it with Sancho? Is the Premier League just too fast for him? He did less than Elanga.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Difference in players coming on and wanting to take the game by the scruff of the neck. He just doesn’t have that about him. This league might just not be for him.

Red Rash

There is a good player there but today was a really poor cameo. Elanga was miles better

Lentwood

Dreadful. United need to move on from mistakes quicker. Not strong enough, not quick enough.

Id take as much of our money back as we can get, Elanga already looks a better player.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
May be he should be tried on right . Definitely coming inside isn't his strongest trait.

Status
Not open for further replies.