Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Imagine thinking that the reason every player you buy ends up playing poorly is because they are not good enough for you
While you are correct to say this, there is a growing sense of deja-vu here.

We've bought 3 different attacking mids who absolutely ripped your league to bits, over a 10 year period, and two of them massively under performed, and one certainly has it all to do, to put it mildly.

Loads of different reasons etc, but it can't just be us messing players up, like it can't just be them all not being as good as we thought?

There's one sure fire test,. bring Haaland, and if he drops off a cliff, it's definitely us!!

Edit, a good point from the guy above about Werner and Havertz too. Neither have exactly stormed the league.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
:lol: Guess it's only a bad thing when it's players we like that are getting stick. Rashford got the same treatment in the exact same scenario except his thread was continually bumped all week.
Hence the mood of the caf. Judge a player on 60+ minutes, not 15. Personally I have been critical of Rahsford when he started, but not his 15 minute sub performance because you cant always expect one player to change that.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Havertz,Sancho and Weiner.

180m and they have 12 goals between them in 106 apps.

Can't wait till we spend 100mil+ on Bellingham.
If you do, it will turn out that he isn't as good as Bundesliga made him look!

Bundesliga should take some responsibility, really. :lol:

Bondi77

Pretty sure everyone expects more from what he's currently outputting buddy. No one's arguing that.

Additionally, I don't think it's a coincidence that every big signing we have made hasn't worked out, the way this club has been run and the management/tactics is god awful. Every one of our big money signings would have done better at the likes of City.
Okay, point taken.
The game has been over for a while now so I am not as irate as before and as a Utd fan we all want this to work out so we will move on to the next game and hope we can all improve individually and collectively.

PoTMS

Responsibility? The players are actually ... playing.. you know? What do you do? :lol:
I can only expect there's some language barrier because you've either missed the point or you're talking bollocks. I sense it's both. You're the one trying to insinuate the reason he's playing poorly is because of the fanbase to try and absolve the fact he's actually shite. Not the far more likely option that one of the Bundesliga's best players is a complete and utter flop, as has been the case with most of the big money signings recently.

Gawge

I think there are a lot of overlapping reasons for his lack of spark so far.

That none of the promising attacking talent have really truly shined at United for the last 5+ years can't just be down to players coincidentally being a bit shit. I do think a part of that is that as a team United have barely controlled a game in that time. I can't think of many games where the front players were swashbuckling and having fun - almost all the best victories and successes in the last half decade have been counter attacking displays. If these players had been at a City or Liverpool they would have dominated games with an incredibly well-coached and drilled attacking set-up.

That being said... even given those 'excuses', even if they were all just told "go out and enjoy yourselves" (not the case), you would have expected more from Sancho. Like, there genuinely is very little to have been excited about. Too much pressure? Not enough consistent gametime? Either way, you would have hoped to have seen a spark.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I can only expect there's some language barrier because you've either missed the point or you're talking bollocks. You're the one trying to insinuate the reason he's playing poorly is because of the fanbase to try and absolve the fact he's actually shite. Not the far more likely option that one of the Bundesliga's best players is a complete and utter flop.
Nope, I was wondering whether you as Man United fans are capable of being patient and supportive with a young player that has just joined and isn't doing well...

To which you gave your answers, indirectly.

PoTMS

Nope, I was wondering whether you as Man United fans are capable of being patient and supportive with a young player that has just joined and isn't doing well...

To which you gave your answers, indirectly.
It is quite funny how protective fans of Bundesliga teams are over Sancho. It's not as if there's any other ulterior motive.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It is funny how protective fans of Bundesliga teams are over Sancho. It's not as if there's any other ulterior motive.
Nope. It's rather funny how unprotective and aggressive Man United fans are towards their own players. Sancho isn't to blame for your long-built frustration, he just joined, yet here you are taking it out on him.

The Hilton

Seems to be a lot of anger in here with Sancho for not being a different player to the one he is.

He's not a winger in the Nani, Ronaldo, even Rashford mould that will skin several players for fun and outpace his fullback (which it seems was what we bought him for bizarrely), he's a player who thrives as part of a cohesive attacking unit, which we simply don't have at the moment.

There's clearly a quality player in there, but we don't play to any of his strengths, and then wonder why he isn't performing well.

SonyaCross493

Elanga. Remember the name. as he's keeping a 70 million pound signing out the team

Sancho when he came on didn't look interested and got bullied. Lack of fight and lost the ball a few times

You need to have pace in the Premier League.

spiriticon

There's clearly a quality player in there, but we don't play to any of his strengths, and then wonder why he isn't performing well.
The problem is that to build a team to play to his strengths, our players have to run. And press. They currently can't seem to be arsed with any of that, so how will that ever happen??

Not saying that it's Sancho's fault that we can't press, but if he is sitting there waiting for the team to change it's style before he unleashes his talent over all the PL, then he's got a loong wait.

He needs to look deep into himself and adapt a little.

The Oracle

Seems to be a lot of anger in here with Sancho for not being a different player to the one he is.

He's not a winger in the Nani, Ronaldo, even Rashford mould that will skin several players for fun and outpace his fullback (which it seems was what we bought him for bizarrely), he's a player who thrives as part of a cohesive attacking unit, which we simply don't have at the moment.

I'm sick and tired of poster's repeatedly spouting this nonsense.
I called it at the beginning of the season, and I'm still calling it the same now... we have signed an absolute dud.

His attitude stinks and his football has been shite.

SonyaCross493

It's his attitude which is most worrying for me not his ability.. He comes on after seeing Elanga have a great game and doesn't seem to care to fight for a starting spot in the team.. let's the Villa defenders easily take the ball off him and bully him

he's fighting for his World Cup place but you wouldn't know it from his attitude. It's what Tony Martial often gets criticism for.

I sort of agree with the general point...but he's also been really, really bad at the things he's supposedly good at.

He's spent half a season falling over his own feet while (slowly) carrying the ball and his passing has generally been pretty average too. He spent today's entire cameo either overhitting or underhitting passes. He ended up with an 83% completion rate but they were all momentum killers... either behind or in-front or too short.

His pass % is good across this whole the season - and has been throughout his career - but this year at least is proof that not everything can be judged on a stat-sheet. We've all seen that he's spent a season playing very, very safe passes and often not particularly well.

Last edited:

SonyaCross493

Honestly I'd be wary about signing players from the Bundersliga from now on. It's a totally different league not as competitive as the Premier League (at 2-0 up in Germany the game is dead) which is why I won't judge Haaland as a great until he's playing in a proper league and proving it. Or in finals of Champions League or internationally and proving it.

Greck

Not judging his performance today but I still can't believe this is the player the Caf wouldn't shut up about for 2 years.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Zero pace and fight in the PL = death. I was buzzing with this signing but doesn’t look like he has what’s needed.

Mr PG

I always said there’s a reason City never went back for him. Good player though equivalent to Phil Foden but needs conditioning and bulking up. Very intelligent.
However, from now on we better save the big bucks for a proper midfielder. We had too many wingers anyway and still went for another one.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Not judging his performance today but I still can't believe this is the player the Caf wouldn't shut up about for 2 years.
The Caf spent 4 years going on about Pogba at Juventus. Some players just get over the top praise for some reason.

Greck

The Caf spent 4 years going on about Pogba at Juventus. Some players just get over the top praise for some reason.
I'd be happy if he even matched Pogba right now. Can barely even beat average PL defenders. Please god, hope it's just a small adjustment period.

The Oracle

Forget for one moment that we paid £73m for Sancho, and instead imagine that we got him for one tenth of that at just £7.3m...

"In today's terms I know he was a steal at that price, but I still would expect him to put more effort in"
"I'm not sure he's gonna make it here, he hasn't got the right attitude"
"At best he can be a squad player, but never gonna be starting eleven"
"He should be more positive instead of always choosing to play the safe pass"
"Why doesn't he try to beat a man?"
"We need to sign someone with more pace"
"Ultimately he's not gonna make it here"
"If we can get £30m for him in the Summer, then that's a great bit of business by us, and good luck to him wherever he goes"

I honestly wish he did just cost £7.3m and not the 10 x more that we actually did pay.

Let's put it this way, if you spent big bucks on a high-end car, and it kept on under performing time and time again, you would seriously be pissed off that you've spent a fortune and it never performs how it should for the price you paid.

We are getting no value for the money we paid.

Simple. As. That.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not gonna judge him until next season. He's got the talent but is probably still adapting to new surroundings, especially on the pitch. I think it's important we support him at this time, rather than kill his confidence, which is probably low at this time. The EPL has seen players struggle in their first seasons in the past before going on-to become legends of the league. Sancho is still 21 and we shouldn't lose hope in him already.

Boavista

Honestly I'd be wary about signing players from the Bundersliga from now on. It's a totally different league not as competitive as the Premier League (at 2-0 up in Germany the game is dead) which is why I won't judge Haaland as a great until he's playing in a proper league and proving it. Or in finals of Champions League or internationally and proving it.
How is this remotely true?

kundalini

Dan James 1st season 2291 PL mins 3 goals + 6 assists
Dan James 2nd season 920 PL mins 3 goals + 1 assist
Dan James 3rd season (United + Leeds) 1227 PL mins 2 goals 1 assist

Jadon Sancho 931 PL mins 1 goal + O assists (also created the own goal against Burnley with his shot that looked to be going narrowly wide)

Sancho's xG and xA stats are also terrible. Sancho is currently in Lingard dry spell territory.

Bondi77

Forget for one moment that we paid £73m for Sancho, and instead imagine that we got him for one tenth of that at just £7.3m...

"In today's terms I know he was a steal at that price, but I still would expect him to put more effort in"
"I'm not sure he's gonna make it here, he hasn't got the right attitude"
"At best he can be a squad player, but never gonna be starting eleven"
"He should be more positive instead of always choosing to play the safe pass"
"Why doesn't he try to beat a man?"
"We need to sign someone with more pace"
"Ultimately he's not gonna make it here"
"If we can get £30m for him in the Summer, then that's a great bit of business by us, and good luck to him wherever he goes"

I honestly wish he did just cost £7.3m and not the 10 x more that we actually did pay.

Let's put it this way, if you spent big bucks on a high-end car, and it kept on under performing time and time again, you would seriously be pissed off that you've spent a fortune and it never performs how it should for the price you paid.

We are getting no value for the money we paid.

Simple. As. That.
Great post.

El-Manos

Elanga. Remember the name. as he's keeping a 70 million pound signing out the team

Sancho when he came on didn't look interested and got bullied. Lack of fight and lost the ball a few times

You need to have pace in the Premier League.
He started one game, relax.

El-Manos

I'm not gonna judge him until next season. He's got the talent but is probably still adapting to new surroundings, especially on the pitch. I think it's important we support him at this time, rather than kill his confidence, which is probably low at this time. The EPL has seen players struggle in their first seasons in the past before going on-to become legends of the league. Sancho is still 21 and we shouldn't lose hope in him already.
Fully agree. This thread is pathetic at the moment. Not a single attacking player Is impressing at the moment. Ronaldo’s output in the CL aside. Rashford has been far worse and is supposedly premier league proven.

The Hilton

I'm sick and tired of poster's repeatedly spouting this nonsense.
I called it at the beginning of the season, and I'm still calling it the same now... we have signed an absolute dud.

His attitude stinks and his football has been shite.
Your opinion is valid, as long as you're consistent, and believe the same about every player who's "attitude stinks and his football has been shite" this season. Which is, what, everyone except DDG?

I imagine you don't judge some of the other players based on half a season though, so if not then you should use the same logic for Sancho. To do so would be spouting nonsense, and then you'll be sick and tired of yourself! ;)

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Your opinion is valid, as long as you're consistent, and believe the same about every player who's "attitude stinks and his football has been shite" this season. Which is, what, everyone except DDG?

I imagine you don't judge some of the other players based on half a season though, so if not then you should use the same logic for Sancho. To do so would be spouting nonsense, and then you'll be sick and tired of yourself! ;)
Bruno as well. The only player to actually face the fans and take the blame instead of hiding behind the manager/ crying to their agent.

The Oracle

I was critical of De Gea earlier in the season with his refusal to collect any cross that was played into the 6-yard box - as he should at the very least be commanding that area.

Since Rangnick came in, I have noticed that De Gea's confidence has grown and he has been performing well.

You only have to check my post history to see that I am critical of Rashford, and also Bruno (when he constantly gives the ball away), though I will be the first to say that Bruno played well today, and he just needs to eradicate the needless yellow cards he picks up.

With regards to judging players after half a season, I honestly believe that I will be saying the same about Sancho after two thirds of the season, at three quarters of the season, and then again at the end of the season.

For the price we paid, he has been a massive disappointment.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Now that I’ve had more time to think about it. I don’t think I’ll have judgment on many of these players. They can’t all be horrific right? Something must be terrible wrong with the club if every player looks so ponderous and slow

sillwuka

£70 mil on who was supposed to be our right wing saviour. Greenwood offers alot more than him from that side.

Fine! Let's shift him to the left as he's played there before and can cut inside, right?

He's possibly even worse on that side. I'm flabbergasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.