Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Thank goodness your opinion won’t be shared by Ten Hag.
I think it will. We will have to wait and see of course.

When you're in a fight and believe me ETH will be from day one you go try and take out your bighest problems. That would be Shaw,Maguire,Pogba,Rashford,Lingard,Martial and Sancho. The toxic 7. Luckily Pogba and Lingard are gone. Only 5 left to go.

Pickle85

When you're in a fight and believe me ETH will be from day one you go try and take out your bighest problems. That would be Shaw,Maguire,Pogba,Rashford,Lingard,Martial and Sancho. The toxic 7. Luckily Pogba and Lingard are gone. Only 5 left to go.
What has Sancho done to be described as toxic?! Honestly, this place sometimes...

ForeverRed1

Would this have even been a question a year or two back? Did you even know who Diaz was?
that’s kind of the point though, why don’t we find these players? We always go for big names big egos. There’s so many unearthed talents and potential talents all across the world, we need to be better at finding them.

we Chuck too much money at players a lot of the time and look where it’s got us:houllier:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Sahin, Pulisic, Papastathopolous,
Pulisic was a bench player in Dortmund. Sokratis was always mediocre. Arsenal and Chelsea got pretty much exactly what they saw at Dortmund, nothing more, nothing less. The only players who fell off a cliff performance wise were Mkhitaryan, Sahin and Kagawa.

I'd say Aubameyang, Gündogan, Dembele, Hakimi, Isak and Götze are doing pretty well for example.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

What has Sancho done, mate?

Giggsy13

Yes because Sancho was so toxic at Dortmund. Again, thank goodness we’re heading in the direction of having smart people running the football operations at the club who won’t share your view.

Lentwood

Sancho is clearly a talented footballer but once again it looks like we have targeted the wrong profile of player. Sancho will never be a world-class PL wide-forward, he is just too slow, too weak and not aggressive enough.

Id be half-tempted to think about moving Bruno Fernandes on and having Sancho as our principle #10 moving forward. I think that's the only way of salvaging the signing.

I do want to caveat all of that by saying Sancho CAN do well for us in wide areas against low-block sides, since his technical ability is excellent. I just think at the very highest level in the very biggest games, he lacks the intensity and physical attributes required.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sancho is clearly a talented footballer but once again it looks like we have targeted the wrong profile of player. Sancho will never be a world-class PL wide-forward, he is just too slow, too weak and not aggressive enough.

Id be half-tempted to think about moving Bruno Fernandes on and having Sancho as our principle #10 moving forward. I think that's the only way of salvaging the signing.

I do want to caveat all of that by saying Sancho CAN do well for us in wide areas against low-block sides, since his technical ability is excellent. I just think at the very highest level in the very biggest games, he lacks the intensity and physical attributes required.
Sancho isn't slow, he's just not lightning fast. He's at his best with the ball at his feet.

Yesterday he should have had an assist for Rashford, but as usual our forwards messed it up.

Is it a coincidence that we did literally nothing in attack until he was subbed on, then we actually made 2/3 chances all down his flank? no.

He is a great ball carrier, but our forwards absolutely suck at quick passing. Look at the amount of times he played it inside to Lingard who either failed to control it properly, or took 1 touch then messed the pass up.

You're not wrong in the sense his style doesn't fit the players around him, but that's because they're not up to his level, not vice versa.

Is his perfect? obviously not he has areas to improve - but he's the best of a bad bunch currently.

Rojofiam

Sancho is literally our most valuable player given that he's already world class at 22, he will literally enter his peak in 5-8 years from now. :lol:

This guys is listing "toxic" players as if he could see behind the scenes.

What Football Twitter and media narratives do to some fans...:houllier:

RepardReece

He was the only bright spot alongside Hannibal yesterday. No clue where some of these comments are coming from.

The only good bit of football that came from our side yesterday came from Sancho. Get a grip fellas.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

How is he a toxic player??? Literally give 1 example. :houllier:

JB7

I tend to agree with you on a lot of things but I don't agree past your first sentence here. He's a serious player but, like Ronaldo, we are not using the player we have signed. You're right in that we've targeting the wrong profile of player for what we needed, but that's not to say he can't be a top level PL player in his position because he can be. With how we were looking to play under Ole, he obviously doesn't fit that style of football and we're still stuck in the middle somewhat of trying to control games but not having the players to do so. If we were sticking with Ole's way of playing we should have signed a direct, quick Antonio Valencia type of winger - which obviously is about as far away from Sancho as possible.

Whereas we signed Sancho, who is a technical player that needs players around him, he always has done. Yes he goes past players and we've seen that but his game is all about compact play, one-twos and triangles into the penalty area. We don't have that, we spray the ball out to the wide players and they are isolated, we expect them to be direct and get to the byline to cut it back or cross it from deep - which is not and never will be Sancho's game. This is why his best football has tended to come in front of Shaw, because for all his faults, he's the only full back we have that gets close to the player ahead of him and plays the short quick passing into the penalty area. What does excite me is that Ten Hag's Ajax utilise those triangular patterns of play working the ball into the box and that appears to be an area that he looks to exploit with his attacking players, so I think Sancho could be the real breakout player under ETH.

Stacks

Sancho is literally our most valuable player given that he's already world class at 22, he will literally enter his peak in 5-8 years from now. :lol:

This guys is listing "toxic" players as if he could see behind the scenes.

What Football Twitter and media narratives do to some fans...:houllier:
He's really not world class or hasn't performed at world stage yet

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Youtube is suggesting I play Toxic by Britney Spears. Might as well.

Walters_19_MuFc

Based on what? Possibly nothing, simply because we don't play a formation that has wide forwards like Liverpool and Man City. We play a 4231, and its obviously so much difficult. I mean, are you saying Sancho is not as fast as the likes of Jota, Mahrez, Foden, Grealish - all players who, whilst not your speed demons, fit into their system quite ok. Grealish is still finding his feet at City, but Pep bought him based on the performances he showed on the left wing for Villa.

I think, and I guess can be the same excuse for all of our players, is to judge Sancho when playing under a settled team and system. This is his first season, but the reason the likes of Diaz and co. are able to come in and impress is because they literally have a settled team.

If were to have Diaz and Liverpool were to have Sancho, we'd be seeing the same thing, in my opinion.

Mike Smalling

Did more than Rashford, Elanga, Lingard and Bruno combined. I am not that concerned about Sancho. He is clearly a talented player, and I think he would be quality if he had some teammates that could play football.

Lentwood

Based on what?
As I said, "too slow, too weak, not aggressive enough". Foden is very aggressive. Grealish is very strong and a great ball-carrier. Mahrez is quicker than he looks, if you go back to the Leicester title-win, you see he can easily play in a counter-attacking side and run away from players.

I'm not writing Sancho off completely, I think I was quite clear in my post that I definitely believe he's got bags of ability. I suppose @JB7 was correct when he pointed out that just because Sancho doesn't suit what we are trying to do now (which is what I meant by 'wrong profile') then that doesn't necessarily mean a new manager can't find a way of playing him as a wide-forward that does suit Sancho more.

Of all the issues we have, Sancho is way down the list, but I am still surprised that we spent two Summers chasing a player who doesn't obviously fit into the style the manager wanted to play. Especially as that £73m could have been better spent in other areas, like addressing the CF or CM position(s)

In response to another poster, yes we did improve when Sancho came on, for a little while, but I think that was Liverpool dropping their level as much as us raising ours.

SER19

Glad we have him, hes a player id want signed this summer as part of a rebuild. One of a handful I can imagine doing well in an effective set up, I've no concerns about him at all

macheda14

Especially as that £73m could have been better spent in other areas, like addressing the CF or CM position(s)
The club were pretty certain we had a future star CF in our ranks. Yes the CM would have been better reinforced, but CF looked good last summer with Ronaldo, Greenwood, Cavani, and even Martial.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
As I said, "too slow, too weak, not aggressive enough". Foden is very aggressive. Grealish is very strong and a great ball-carrier. Mahrez is quicker than he looks, if you go back to the Leicester title-win, you see he can easily play in a counter-attacking side and run away from players.

I'm not writing Sancho off completely, I think I was quite clear in my post that I definitely believe he's got bags of ability. I suppose @JB7 was correct when he pointed out that just because Sancho doesn't suit what we are trying to do now (which is what I meant by 'wrong profile') then that doesn't necessarily mean a new manager can't find a way of playing him as a wide-forward that does suit Sancho more.

Of all the issues we have, Sancho is way down the list, but I am still surprised that we spent two Summers chasing a player who doesn't obviously fit into the style the manager wanted to play. Especially as that £73m could have been better spent in other areas, like addressing the CF or CM position(s)

In response to another poster, yes we did improve when Sancho came on, for a little while, but I think that was Liverpool dropping their level as much as us raising ours.
I didn't buy that bit about Mahrez being quicker than he looks so I did a quick research and found that Mahrez' top speed half way through the 19/20 season was 31.11 km/h, placing him 28th in the list of slowest EPL players. His team mate Bernardo Silva was a bit faster at 31,42 km/h. Sancho for comparison was clocked at 34.6 km/h at EC 2020. That's pretty much exactly the top speed Heung Min Son achieves. So I don't think you can label Sancho as slow or not fast enough to be a top player in the EPL wen those two are way slower than him and still play wide.

That aside, I agree that you could've spent the money more wisely. Sancho was more of a "too good to miss out on" type of signing. Still might come very good.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

Who the hell would you suggest plays on the right wing if we didn’t sign Sancho?

Lentwood

The club were pretty certain we had a future star CF in our ranks. Yes the CM would have been better reinforced, but CF looked good last summer with Ronaldo, Greenwood, Cavani, and even Martial.
I have never been convinced about the idea of playing Greenwood at CF, does most of his best work when able to front defenders up and shift the ball, not sure we'd see the best of him if he's primarily playing with his back to goal and wasting time and energy getting into physical battles with CBs.

Cavani and Ronaldo were only ever short-term signings and Martial scored, what, 3 or 4 goals last season? I'd say it was fairly obvious we still needed a CF. We've definitely needed at least one CM for a long time, so don't know why we ignored that position again.

Lentwood

Who the hell would you suggest plays on the right wing if we didn’t sign Sancho?
Before the events that nobody could have predicted, I'd have said Greenwood. We also have Elanga now who could do a job.

I'm less worried about the RW when there are huge, glaring issues through the centre of the pitch. Shove anybody out on the RW for a season and sort it out later!

Lentwood

I didn't buy that bit about Mahrez being quicker than he looks so I did a quick research and found that Mahrez' top speed half way through the 19/20 season was 31.11 km/h, placing him 28th in the list of slowest EPL players. His team mate Bernardo Silva was a bit faster at 31,42 km/h. Sancho for comparison was clocked at 34.6 km/h at EC 2020. That's pretty much exactly the top speed Heung Min Son achieves. So I don't think you can label Sancho as slow or not fast enough to be a top player in the EPL wen those two are way slower than him and still play wide.

That aside, I agree that you could've spent the money more wisely. Sancho was more of a "too good to miss out on" type of signing. Still might come very good.
If we get as good in possession as City then I'll concede Sancho might be able to play out wide in our team.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If we get as good in possession as City then I'll concede Sancho might be able to play out wide in our team.
Well, that's why you're bringing in Ten Hag. I assume he'll play Sancho in a similar role o Tadic who's at roughly 1 scorer per game in 190 appearances for Ajax and generally a player of a very similar profile to Sancho. I watched the Liverpool game and he played very well - the issue is, he plays an intelligent pass and his team mates don't know what to make of it. He'd probably look better in your team making actually wrong decisions because that would mean he's not giving the ball to players who are unlikely to play it back to him. I think the creation of Rashford's big chance was pretty good indicator of what Sancho is capable of. Salah or Mané couldn't have played it any better than this.

That aside, I still think you severely underrate his pace and overrate that of the others. Salah for example achieved a top speed of only 32 km/h this season. Mane`s 34.4 is pretty similar to Sancho. They look quicker because they get into more situations.

Stacks

Based on what? Possibly nothing, simply because we don't play a formation that has wide forwards like Liverpool and Man City. We play a 4231, and its obviously so much difficult. I mean, are you saying Sancho is not as fast as the likes of Jota, Mahrez, Foden, Grealish - all players who, whilst not your speed demons, fit into their system quite ok. Grealish is still finding his feet at City, but Pep bought him based on the performances he showed on the left wing for Villa.

I think, and I guess can be the same excuse for all of our players, is to judge Sancho when playing under a settled team and system. This is his first season, but the reason the likes of Diaz and co. are able to come in and impress is because they literally have a settled team.

If were to have Diaz and Liverpool were to have Sancho, we'd be seeing the same thing, in my opinion.
none of these are world class

Yeah them top speeds are Fugazi. Maguire Top speed was listed the same as Kyle Walker and the fastest player was Leicester CB Soyuncu
Before the events that nobody could have predicted, I'd have said Greenwood. We also have Elanga now who could do a job.

I'm less worried about the RW when there are huge, glaring issues through the centre of the pitch. Shove anybody out on the RW for a season and sort it out later!
this was discussed before we signed Sancho. The emergence of Greenwood made it less of a need to sign Sancho compared with centre midfielders. The priorities changed but he was the muppet signing yet RW isn't really his best position

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
none of these are world class

Yeah them top speeds are Fugazi. Maguire Top speed was listed the same as Kyle Walker and the fastest player was Leicester CB Soyuncu

this was discussed before we signed Sancho. The emergence of Greenwood made it less of a need to sign Sancho compared with centre midfielders. The priorities changed but he was the muppet signing yet RW isn't really his best position
Well, if his top speed is great and his acceleration was never in doubt, he has to be defying physics to be slow.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If he had players on his wavelength around him who knew what they were doing, he would become unstoppable but at the moment for him to do something possible he has to do it himself from start to finish with no help.

Based Adnan

Only player in the team capable of beating a man 1v1 which means he gets doubled or tripled up on a lot of the time

Swiss_Red89

Thought he was fantastic and Arsenal couldn't deal with him once out there. He's going to be class for us under Ten Hag.
He was far from fantastic. He was ok, but did he create anything meaningfull apart from the penalty situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.