5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OdinsEye

I think many were expecting him to be an explosive winger who dribbles, who runs at players, takes them on and beat them one on one which he never was. That’s Coman, Dembele, Raphinha, Antony etc for you. Although Sancho have done that too but never consistently in his career due to some apparent qualities he lacks and always lacked in his game to just do that. Now, that’s not a slight on the lad, he was never this type of player.

I don’t mean to be obnoxious but people need to understand what kind of player Sancho is. He possesses more qualities than your typical wingers. He is brilliant technically, has good vision, excellent at link ups, has maturity in his game, good finisher, is a good winger if not amazing, very good at play making. All these qualities make him a standout at the age of 22. The problem is piecing them all together to get a refined product. He needs to blend all these qualities in matches to suit certain situations to get the best out of himself.

He’s never gonna be your hugging the touchline winger. He’s a player who can be deadly as an inverted winger around the 18 yard box if he is coached by someone who realises his potential. Although I’m not his biggest fan but i can see he is very unique player who is a blend of so many things who is right now a mish mash of a player but if aligned properly can be world class and thank fully we have a person called Ten Hag who is amazing at that.
I remember reading that Ten Hag likes to experiment with players and their positions, I could definitely see Sancho transitioning into a central player. I reckon he would excel in a CF/CAM role. He needs to be played closer to goal, he is ice cold in and around the penalty box. I see Martial and Sancho having a good central partnership providing Martial can stay relatively fit.

Luka Mora

I think there's a good reason why Pep Guardiola wasn't bothered about losing Sancho for 8 million when he was 17. Don't forget Foden got his first team breakthrough chance with Pep, at 17 years old, because obviously he had the greater talent and mentality.

Sancho obviously wasn't exceptional enough to break through to the first team for pep's team. He was not willing to wait for his opportunity until he developed his game to be good enough for a first team start, so instead then went AWOL from training, until he got sold to join a club where he had loads of space to run around and be surrounded by a goal machine freak in Haaland with half of the intensity of the premiership. His key developing years would have been better served remaining in the premiership. Now he has stamina issues, isn't use to having 3 players surrounding him

Saka put him to shame at old trafford and showed what you expect from a winger, quick, sharp, hungry and always posing a threat as soon as he gets on the ball. Where's with Sancho you just expect him to play it safe. The only thing he seems to excel at is movement, one touch passing and finishing when he he has the space afforded to him.

Strootman's Finger

He's not been bad this year, but he's one of the noticeably unimproved players. I thought he was shite under Ole, Rangnick got him playing decent after christmas for a couple months, and then he fell off, and now I am feeling he's coming close to those peaks in the early stages of Rangnick, which in fairness weren't that high.

I am by no means writing him off or saying he won't start performing, I'm just saying, it's been well over a year now, your excuses are running out, time to perform.

Strootman's Finger

I think many were expecting him to be an explosive winger who dribbles, who runs at players, takes them on and beat them one on one which he never was. That’s Coman, Dembele, Raphinha, Antony etc for you. Although Sancho have done that too but never consistently in his career due to some apparent qualities he lacks and always lacked in his game to just do that. Now, that’s not a slight on the lad, he was never this type of player.

I don’t mean to be obnoxious but people need to understand what kind of player Sancho is. He possesses more qualities than your typical wingers. He is brilliant technically, has good vision, excellent at link ups, has maturity in his game, good finisher, is a good winger if not amazing, very good at play making. All these qualities make him a standout at the age of 22. The problem is piecing them all together to get a refined product. He needs to blend all these qualities in matches to suit certain situations to get the best out of himself.

He’s never gonna be your hugging the touchline winger. He’s a player who can be deadly as an inverted winger around the 18 yard box if he is coached by someone who realises his potential. Although I’m not his biggest fan but i can see he is very unique player who is a blend of so many things who is right now a mish mash of a player but if aligned properly can be world class and thank fully we have a person called Ten Hag who is amazing at that.
Sorry, I feel like you are just putting buzz words together and actually haven't really said anything. I didn't watch much of Sancho at Dortmund, we aren't seeing much of him at United yet. What are the tangible qualities he possesses, not just vague plaudits.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I find him more world class As a RW because he kind of gives us something that many clubs don’t have - a great right footed RW.

He can hold his width or cut in.

On the left I just don’t see him providing that difference in his play.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I find him more world class As a RW because he kind of gives us something that many clubs don’t have - a great right footed RW.

World class? Really?

NewYorkRed

He’s got to be more aggressive and demand the ball more. There’s a terrific player in there, but he goes missing in far too many games. He’s got to get on the ball more and heck, even be a bit more selfish.

mav_9me

Sorry, I feel like you are just putting buzz words together and actually haven't really said anything. I didn't watch much of Sancho at Dortmund, we aren't seeing much of him at United yet. What are the tangible qualities he possesses, not just vague plaudits.
Technique, brilliant passer particularly in the box, brilliant dribbling again in the box. His composure in the box is fantastic as we saw against Liverpool. As we get better and keep possession in and around the box better, hopefully we'll see more from him.

I'll agree that I've felt he has played safe for the most part. And often feels like he is expected to play like Antony, one on one and dribble past. Even now. Hopefully EtH will get the best out of him. Feel like he would be devastating in this city lineup. But doesn't mean we can't expect more from him.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Assuming Antony plays RW, and either Martial or Ronaldo through the middle, it could be an interesting battle between Sancho and Rashford for LW, especially with Rashford showing some signs of better form.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
To me, his clearest quality is his touch. It’s silky smooth taking it on the run when he’s rounding keepers or when he’s standing still and plucks it out of the sky. That skill alone can get you far. He doesn’t seem to like playing here at all though, so he doesn’t take any risks with his dribbling, he doesn’t demand the ball in good positions, etc. He’s probably our most frustrating player for me, even though there’s many players who make worse decisions and mistakes far more often.

CarbonStoolBites

Clearly a central player and not a wide player, don’t care where he played for Dortmund, Depay looked great on the wings in Holland as well, then he arrived at United and couldn’t beat a single PL full back to save his life.

Jadon is a very good technical player, still reckon be needs to bulk up and be coached into more of a central role.
Rashford is far better on the left than he’s ever been.

Coach him into a second striker / number 10, he’s good in tight spaces, great touch, excellent finisher.

Hope he makes it here because I like the lad a lot.

Last edited:

Stacks

Technique, brilliant passer particularly in the box, brilliant dribbling again in the box. His composure in the box is fantastic as we saw against Liverpool. As we get better and keep possession in and around the box better, hopefully we'll see more from him.

I'll agree that I've felt he has played safe for the most part. And often feels like he is expected to play like Antony, one on one and dribble past. Even now. Hopefully EtH will get the best out of him. Feel like he would be devastating in this city lineup. But doesn't mean we can't expect more from him.
People keep saying this but City have high demands for their wingers and let him go for £7 million not giving him any first team minutes yet Foden got minutes

Revan

Assumptionman
I must say that so far he has been a very expensive Kagawa. Nothing to suggest whatsoever that he can be on Mbappe/Haaland level. Heck, even the likes of Foden or that Atletico kid seem to be way ahead of him.

Bebestation

World class? Really?
I over exaggerated.

But what I’m saying is that I feel like he reminds of a more special player coming on the right and giving us a different tactic on the right than him on the left where he can hardly beat his man for some reason.

flameinthesun

Think he's just type of player who will thrive when we have more possession rather than when are in a low block. When the game is stretched he seems to struggle, but when its compact and quick feet is needed he will thrive.

Chief123

You come out with the strangest of posts.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
, so instead then went AWOL from training, until he got sold to join a club where he had loads of space to run around and be surrounded by a goal machine freak in Haaland with half of the intensity of the premiership.
That's just BS. Haaland was there for less than half the time Sancho stayed in Dortmund and his effect on Sancho's stats was neglible. As Sancho was a key player for Dortmund he was used to not getting that much space there as well. Intensity could be a factor, but players like Haaland or Bella-Kotchap who moved this season don't seem to have problems adapting.

redcucumber

He's had 6 games with ten Hag. His development was stunted by the absolute clusterfeck of last season. We are still a club and team in massive transition. He's got the talent and mentality (and right manager) to get back on track.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think people had the wrong idea about his game. He is a playmaker,

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He needs time under Ten Hag. Players like Bernardo Silva, Foden, etc.. aren't the quickest but thrive in the PL from similar attacking positions. I have no doubt he'll get better as the season goes on.

tomaldinho1

He needs time under Ten Hag. Players like Bernardo Silva, Foden, etc.. aren't the quickest but thrive in the PL from similar attacking positions. I have no doubt he'll get better as the season goes on.
And, most importantly, they play in a team engineered to keep the ball and pen teams in. Sancho looks really good for the periods were on top, he links play beautifully, generally makes good decisions and is technically excellent. When we go under pressure he does put a shift in defensively but we, so far, have spent a lot of time on the back foot and that’s knackering for a wide player. City don’t have that issue, they come under pressure regularly but usually can wrestle back control quickly, knock it around the pitch without much issue, allow their players to recover and then up the tempo again.

Threesus

Should we be worried about him? I thought he will finally take the step up this season and send rashford to the bench, but he doesn’t seem to up for it.

How come city get players like gundogan and kdb from Germany , while we end up like this?

Threesus

And, most importantly, they play in a team engineered to keep the ball and pen teams in. Sancho looks really good for the periods were on top, he links play beautifully, generally makes good decisions and is technically excellent. When we go under pressure he does put a shift in defensively but we, so far, have spent a lot of time on the back foot and that’s knackering for a wide player. City don’t have that issue, they come under pressure regularly but usually can wrestle back control quickly, knock it around the pitch without much issue, allow their players to recover and then up the tempo again.
Are we ever going to get players who excel in all situations? I feel like we are constantly making excuses for the guys we have.

Bebestation

You come out with the strangest of posts.
I over exaggerated by calling him world class - but ultimately he is a 70million plus player. This is what I meant. He is one of the worlds most expensive players that a lot of people rated from his Bundesliga breakthrough (Though I didn’t rate him that high).

I can see that version of him on the RW whilst I don’t see him that great on the LW.

On the LW he has a lot of time in the world and normally just stops in fronts of the fullback and passes back to Malacia or Bruno. On the right I feel he has to make much quicker decisions because he is utelising his right foot to cut in from the right which has different angles that a player needs to attack through.

Hope this is not that strange for you chief.

Chief123

I over exaggerated by calling him world class - but ultimately he is a 70million plus player. This is what I meant. He is one of the worlds most expensive players that a lot of people rated from his Bundesliga breakthrough (Though I didn’t rate him that high).

I can see that version of him on the RW whilst I don’t see him that great on the LW.

On the LW he has a lot of time in the world and normally just stops in fronts of the fullback and passes back to Malacia or Bruno. On the right I feel he has to make much quicker decisions because he is utelising his right foot to cut in from the right which has different angles that a player needs to attack through.

I mean to be fair you’re a doctor. Who am I to question your IQ.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

From what I've seen back in his Dortmund days, he was a proper winger, used to beat defenders with dribbling and smart moves. Here he seems to play like a wide playmaker, that is not what I expected to see but imo this is how he will adopt to Premier League. I do not expect him to beat players regularly here, he doesn't even try and I think he understands he lacks pace to do it.

Doracle

I don’t understand why people are struggling to see this. He’s clearly much more suited to playing RW than LW and, to be honest, I could see him ultimately being a number 10.

On the left, he just gets nowhere against premier league full backs as they just shepherd him down the line, which is no use to him as he’s too slow to burst past them and doesn’t have a strong enough left foot to do much even if he does. He then just ends up turning around and passing backwards and the confidence visibly drains out of him. On the right, his skills can see him create some space to get a cross in and he has the ability to also cut inside and link up play.

He is a talented player but he really needs to step up and show what he can do.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don’t understand why people are struggling to see this. He’s clearly much more suited to playing RW than LW and, to be honest, I could see him ultimately being a number 10.

On the left, he just gets nowhere against premier league full backs as they just shepherd him down the line, which is no use to him as he’s too slow to burst past them and doesn’t have a strong enough left foot to do much even if he does. He then just ends up turning around and passing backwards and the confidence visibly drains out of him. On the right, his skills can see him create some space to get a cross in and he has the ability to also cut inside and link up play.

He is a talented player but he really needs to step up and show what he can do.
I think he looks a bit better on the right because Dalot is far more adventurous offensively compared to Malacia. Effectively we attack much more from the right than left, so Sancho role is limited to staying wide and keeping the ball rolling. Unless we have a superb dribbler there (prime Martial?), it will be very difficult for him to do much damage from LW.

I fancy him more against packed defenses, no doubts he can be more effective but this setup is not doing him any favour I believe.

Luka Mora

That's just BS. Haaland was there for less than half the time Sancho stayed in Dortmund and his effect on Sancho's stats was neglible. As Sancho was a key player for Dortmund he was used to not getting that much space there as well. Intensity could be a factor, but players like Haaland or Bella-Kotchap who moved this season don't seem to have problems adapting.
How many Champions League goals and assists did Sancho make during his time at Dortmund?

Haaland was ripping up both the league and CLand international stage, so problems regarding needing space or having the required intensity to thrive in the premiership was never in doubt from those who watched him play reguarly.

Both for england and champions league Sancho has done nothing and has done nothing in the premiership to show he's a world class player. he might have a stand out game here or there but he doesn't have the consistency or dog in him to stand out and be the player who takes hold of the game and be a consistent threat. There was the excuse last year that he didn't have a proper coach, that he was played on the right, when his best postion was the left, although at Dortmund he played predominately on the right.

Now he's playing on the left, we're now hearing he should be played on the right, or as a playmaker to make excuses for what is obvious in the fact he is not a world class player.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
How many Champions League goals and assists did Sancho make during his time at Dortmund?

Haaland was ripping up both the league and CLand international stage, so problems regarding needing space or having the required intensity to thrive in the premiership was never in doubt from those who watched him play reguarly.

Both for england and champions league Sancho has done nothing and has done nothing in the premiership to show he's a world class player. he might have a stand out game here or there but he doesn't have the consistency or dog in him to stand out and be the player who takes hold of the game and be a consistent threat. There was the excuse last year that he didn't have a proper coach, that he was played on the right, when his best postion was the left, although at Dortmund he played predominately on the right.

Now he's playing on the left, we're now hearing he should be played on the right, or as a playmaker to make excuses for what is obvious in the fact he is not a world class player.
I agree that 5 goals and 6 assists in 21 games (CL for Dortmund) isn't absolute world class level, nonetheless it's far better than anything he has done at United.

I won't argue that he is or was a world class player, but I absolutely think that Sancho is just playing far worse for United than for Dortmund, which causes his stats to be so much worse (which also means that I think he could and should do much better than he does)

There is so much talk about the easier league (true to an extent, but overexaggerated here) or Dortmund having a system or identity (they didn't, they were almost as clueless as United in their last manager signings) being the cause for his bad performances, but it's just not enough to explain the performance drop we see.

There has to be more to it, whatever it might be, from him just getting lazy after he got his big contract to him holding a grudge because Maguire shagged his mom everything seems possible to me.

SoCross

The talent is clearly there to see.

But he needs to get more involved in the play, demand the ball more, be a bit more forceful. He tends to vanish on the pitch. Also, definitely needs to up his levels of fitness.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The Silva comment is a good point - in his early seasons Bernardo was a right winger but would more often cut in and dictate on his left foot (allowing Walker to provide the width out on the right).

There’s no reason Sancho can’t do this for us on the opposite flank (and let Malacia keep the width and overlap).

Tiki-Taka

I personally think he just needs players around him, whether that is the right, left or middle. His link up play is great.

Suedesi

Another awful match, starting to get exasperated with his lack of application. For a 72m quid player I'd expect a little more consistency, end product and fight

PoTMS

He was again absolutely dreadful. He seems to have an aversion to going towards the penalty area. I don't think he's at the required level to get us back challenging for the big titles. Our big money signings just seem to be flop after flop.

Status
Not open for further replies.