5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MUFC OK

With how Bruno is playing I wouldn't mind seeing him in the 10 role for a game or two.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Nunez first season and they can be both considered flops.

Saying that I was impressed with his general play yesterday definitely more sharp and concise with his play and looked like a player with a point to prove
Sancho is definitely a combination player who likes the 1/2s around the box. I think a world class full back will get the best out of him also like he had at Dortmund.

Luka Mora

Sancho is definitely a combination player who likes the 1/2s around the box. I think a world class full back will get the best out of him also like he had at Dortmund.
it's not the responsibilty of a full back to make Sancho look like a credible player. Apparently he was a system player who was being held back by a lack of system being in place last season. Now we have a system the excuse is he should play through the middle and needs a world class full back to get him to produce performances he had at Dortmund.

What next excuse when he still continues to flatter to deceive? He's already got malacia/shaw supporting him on the left flank, do we need to buy Alphonso Davies? Then what we need to buy a new world class attacking midfielder to feed him balls so he doesn't have take on any players?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
it's not the responsibilty of a full back to make Sancho look like a credible player. Apparently he was a system player who was being held back by a lack of system being in place last season. Now we have a system the excuse is he should play through the middle and needs a world class full back to get him to produce performances he had at Dortmund.

What next excuse when he still continues to flatter to deceive? He's already got malacia/shaw supporting him on the left flank, do we need to buy Alphonso Davies? Then what we need to buy a new world class attacking midfielder to feed him balls so he doesn't have take on any players?
I don’t know what the issue is but he was showing signs of quality at the beginning of the season and even pre season, he was one of our best players earlier on in the season. I honestly think he struggles with fitness as he’s always knackered during games in about 60 mins. There’s a debate that his best position is on the right but he won’t play there now because Antony is there… think his best performances for Dortmund were on the right… I’d give him a run as AM… top managers can find solutions to there players not performing well and maybe a position change could work out for him, maybe not. Who knows.

MUFC OK

Is this because Jadon is playing amazing? Am I missing something?
No, I just think his skill set would suit playing there and a lot of the better things he’s done this season have come in central areas.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I still have a very good feeling about him as a player.

He is a bit more "subtle", though, than I suppose we would like at this point: as in, we would prefer someone with a bit more extreme qualities.

I think he could be brilliant for us long term, in a team that's functional (and not blatantly dysfunctional in more than one ways) on a regular basis.

He isn't another Kagawa or Micky - is what I'm saying. Or at least I don't think he should be dismissed as such.

Marwood

Thought he was good in the first half. faded in the second. Decent overall

thread will be full of hyperbole cause he’s now unfortunately marked as a scapegoat
Every player thread I go in somebody thinks that player is a scapegoat.

They can't all be scapegoats.

r1z3mu

Have a bad feeling that Sancho will follow Lingard's carrier - great potential but something is just not there. In another year or two he will be spending most of the time on the bench.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

He is a bit more "subtle", though, than I suppose we would like at this point: as in, we would prefer someone with a bit more extreme qualities.

I think he could be brilliant for us long term, in a team that's functional (and not blatantly dysfunctional in more than one ways) on a regular basis.

He isn't another Kagawa or Micky - is what I'm saying. Or at least I don't think he should be dismissed as such.
I'm not so sure. All of EtH's signings are intense and determine players, showing he likes that type of player. Unless Sancho remold himself into this type of player, his future is in doubt under EtH.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I definitely still have hopes of him being excellent for us as despite people bemoaning his lack of explosiveness he is technically brilliant. And he has an eye for a pass / link up play that he's not yet shown.

I'd just like to see him up the intensity and physical side of things.

Bondi77

I definitely still have hopes of him being excellent for us as despite people bemoaning his lack of explosiveness he is technically brilliant. And he has an eye for a pass / link up play that he's not yet shown.

If he could do that then I am sure the fanbase would be happy but the simple truth is he is not doing it.

Lentwood

I thought Sancho showed a much improved attitude and desire to defend on Sunday.

I think this forum has an issue in that many of us grew up watching a team with flying wingers bombing down the touchline, skipping past 2/3 players and sending in crosses.

The reality is, that's largely gone from the game at the top level. Football is now, for better or for worse, a far stodgier, tactical game meaning there aren't so many spaces to attack and its harder to isolate opponents. Plus opposition defenders are much fitter, leaner, faster and more athletic.

This is why we now play wide forwards on the opposite side. They can be far more dangerous cutting-in and shooting than they can trying to go on the outside and crossing.

So, sure, Sancho needs to improve, he's got to reinvent his game from Bundesliga counter-attacking Sancho to stodgy, low-block, hyper-organised Premier League Sancho. ETH can help him achieve that but we need to be realistic, not expect a 90s-style winger and give him a bit of time

As a footnote...Antony did get some joy on the outside on Sunday...why was that? Answer is because he was playing against a "throwback" fullback, probably the most unique fullback in the league in Dan Burn...who is mainly in the team for his aerial ability and doesnt have the ground speed of your typical Premier League FB

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@Lentwood His work outside the box is fine, but when he gets there he just stops it then looks to pass it inside. That can work fine if there is space, but most of the time these teams are getting 6/7 players back into the box and it's very difficult to find an open pass like that.

He needs to be able to switch it up, get to the byline and cut it back, drill a low cross and see if you get a deflection etc. He's just a bit too safe?

The annoying thing is he clearly has the ability, he should try dribbling more defenders like he did where he should have won a penalty.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its strange how he lost all confidence to take on defenders in Cyprus of all places after scoring against Liverpool while freezing VVD in his boots. Its disappointing that he is failing to kick on a season on.

Lentwood

@Lentwood His work outside the box is fine, but when he gets there he just stops it then looks to pass it inside. That can work fine if there is space, but most of the time these teams are getting 6/7 players back into the box and it's very difficult to find an open pass like that.

He needs to be able to switch it up, get to the byline and cut it back, drill a low cross and see if you get a deflection etc. He's just a bit too safe?

The annoying thing is he clearly has the ability, he should try dribbling more defenders like he did where he should have won a penalty.
I think in time the idea though is that Shaw/Malacia make the overlapping or underlapping run and then that means he can either cut inside and shoot or slip them in for them to fire the low-ball across the face of goal.

It's basically the cheat-code style goal that Pep drills his teams to score. You'll see old Barcelona and this City team scored tonnes of goals from cut-backs and low-crosses

Sure, it's nice to have the ability to carry the ball (and I think Sancho can) but I think he has other attributes that will make him a big asset in breaking down low-blocks, we just need him to get a bit more aggressive and a bit more direct (as you allude too)

Cloud7

I thought Sancho showed a much improved attitude and desire to defend on Sunday.

I think this forum has an issue in that many of us grew up watching a team with flying wingers bombing down the touchline, skipping past 2/3 players and sending in crosses.

The reality is, that's largely gone from the game at the top level. Football is now, for better or for worse, a far stodgier, tactical game meaning there aren't so many spaces to attack and its harder to isolate opponents. Plus opposition defenders are much fitter, leaner, faster and more athletic.

This is why we now play wide forwards on the opposite side. They can be far more dangerous cutting-in and shooting than they can trying to go on the outside and crossing.

So, sure, Sancho needs to improve, he's got to reinvent his game from Bundesliga counter-attacking Sancho to stodgy, low-block, hyper-organised Premier League Sancho. ETH can help him achieve that but we need to be realistic, not expect a 90s-style winger and give him a bit of time

As a footnote...Antony did get some joy on the outside on Sunday...why was that? Answer is because he was playing against a "throwback" fullback, probably the most unique fullback in the league in Dan Burn...who is mainly in the team for his aerial ability and doesnt have the ground speed of your typical Premier League FB
Is it really gone though? Look at the other top teams around us. Liverpool's wingers are Salah and Diaz. Arsenal is Martinelli and Saka. Chelsea have Sterling. City fair enough, but even Foden is reasonably explosive. Real play with Vinicius and Valverde/Rodrygo. Barcelona play with guys like Dembele and Ansu Fati. Bayern use Gnabry and Sane. All of these are explosive, rapid players. They may not necessarily be touchline hugging wingers like a Giggs, but even functioning as wide forwards they still bomb down the field, and skip past players and make stuff happen. That we don't have a player like that and instead chose someone like Sancho does not mean that these players do not exist.

Scottynaldinho

The guy has all the ability to have a great career here. I think he's still playing too much within himself with tunnel vision. He'll have an odd decent game but he just doesn't impact the games much. Ten Hag has to ignite that fire under him to get involved and play expansive football.

Even after this, the Lingard comparisons are absurd. He's a completely different style of player.

Lentwood

Is it really gone though? Look at the other top teams around us. Liverpool's wingers are Salah and Diaz. Arsenal is Martinelli and Saka. Chelsea have Sterling. City fair enough, but even Foden is reasonably explosive. Real play with Vinicius and Valverde/Rodrygo. Barcelona play with guys like Dembele and Ansu Fati. Bayern use Gnabry and Sane. All of these are explosive, rapid players. They may not necessarily be touchline hugging wingers like a Giggs, but even functioning as wide forwards they still bomb down the field, and skip past players and make stuff happen. That we don't have a player like that and instead chose someone like Sancho does not mean that these players do not exist.
It's not gone all together, of course you'll always have counter-attacks.

My point is, if you go back and watch games from the 90s, it really is incredible how much space players are afforded and how big the gaps are between the lines. That's largely gone now, most teams are very compact, space is at an absolute premium and even when wide-players do manage to get on the ball, they're immediately doubled-up on by the opposition.

And....therefore...my follow-on point from that is/was...we need to stop judging wingers/wide forwards predominantly on how many dribbles/take-on's they complete. This does happen...I lost count of how many times I heard someone scream "take him on" at Sancho on Sunday and berate him for passing inside...but that's a good, percentage play in the modern game were it's important to sustain attacks and not constantly turn the ball over with dribbles and hopeful crosses

Kostov

Have a bad feeling that Sancho will follow Lingard's carrier - great potential but something is just not there. In another year or two he will be spending most of the time on the bench.
Lingard if anything overachieved on his potential. Sancho would be a disaster of epic proportions if he fails to make something count of his talent. Closer to Ravel imo.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Rashford and Martial when they can be arsed are those players.

Our biggest problem right now is the lack of movement from Ronaldo and why everybody always tries to find him even when others are in a much better position.

Ronaldo should ideally be an impact sub and come on for the last 25 mins or so when we need a goal because he’s a liability when he starts.

ZainCRse7en

I don’t get why is he so bad in 1v1 situations? He definitely has the talent and skillset to skin a fullback alive so i assume its a mentality/confidence issue? Heck, even wingers such as trossard and almiron are beating their man on a more regular basis.

Zetrio2002

Jadon did very well against Newcastle. You can go watch Jadon vs Newcastle.

His passing and dribbling were superb. Just the the finishing were let down and Newcastle was quite strong. Man utd would have won the game against any other club except top 6.

criticalanalysis

Hopefully his lack of personality can be overcome. Michael Carrick did it.
My pet peeve with Carrick was that he never really inserted himself in the game or as much as he could have considering his talent and our tendency to dominate games. That's why I really rated that sweet 18-24 month period of Fletcher's peak form, who I thought was the 'superior' player at least in terms of influence and productivity. I'm not sure Carrick did overcome it until basically the last 2-3 years of his career, where he was by default the most senior and talented of the squad.

Anyways with Sancho, I have hope. ETH's coaching and his talent must meld somehow for a vision similar to what we're all wishing for.

In Rainbows

Lingard if anything overachieved on his potential. Sancho would be a disaster of epic proportions if he fails to make something count of his talent. Closer to Ravel imo.
Yep. Lingard overachieved. He was never as big of a talent as Sancho.

OL29

Genuine question but what is it that makes people say he’s technically excellent? He’s got good composure in the box and a good weight of pass but his first touch is nothing special and I’ve seen nothing in his ball striking, dribbling crossing etc that makes him stand out as technically excellent. He’s obviously an intelligent player but he doesn’t seem to have many stand out attributes for a winger.

amolbhatia50k

Genuine question but what is it that makes people say he’s technically excellent? He’s got good composure in the box and a good weight of pass but his first touch is nothing special and I’ve seen nothing in his ball striking, dribbling crossing etc that makes him stand out as technically excellent. He’s obviously an intelligent player but he doesn’t seem to have many stand out attributes for a winger.
His close control, dribbling, link up play and weight of pass are all excellent. Obviously he's not in form so none of his qualities are coming through these past few games. At least he's got a few goals this season which is a positive.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His close control, dribbling, link up play and weight of pass are all excellent. Obviously he's not in form so none of his qualities are coming through these past few games. At least he's got a few goals this season which is a positive.
Isn’t this one of the main things people are complaining about? His inability to dribble past his man?

Doracle

Isn’t this one of the main things people are complaining about? His inability to dribble past his man?
He dribbles up to his man really nicely though…

Anyway, we aren’t going to see the best of him whilst he is playing on the left. He’s too limited there as he can’t go down the line at all. Hopefully he will get some games on the right and start to build confidence playing there.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
My pet peeve with Carrick was that he never really inserted himself in the game or as much as he could have considering his talent and our tendency to dominate games. That's why I really rated that sweet 18-24 month period of Fletcher's peak form, who I thought was the 'superior' player at least in terms of influence and productivity. I'm not sure Carrick did overcome it until basically the last 2-3 years of his career, where he was by default the most senior and talented of the squad.

Anyways with Sancho, I have hope. ETH's coaching and his talent must meld somehow for a vision similar to what we're all wishing for.
My point was that Carrick still made meaningful contributions and Sancho will hopefully also replicate that.

Abraxas

He's going to need a big improvement from here on. He's shown some bits and pieces early season. I wouldn't say it has been poor and he's scored at an okay rate, but he still hasn't reached what we hoped on signing him. I don't think you can afford two whole seasons of underwhelming performances as a United attacker. It'd be really hard to come back from that, you start to get into Kagawa territory where you feel like most of the pieces are there, but it never quite fits together.

amolbhatia50k

I've already said that his qualities aren't coming right now for us (hes gotten a few key goals mind you). I was responding on ability and anyone whose seen him for the past few years will know he has bags of it

AgentSmith

Pretty worrying given how well the team played that he was still largely anonymous.

Status
Not open for further replies.