Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I know you've got a stick up your arse about the PL, but it's a pretty commonly held opinion by those within football that the PL is the most demanding top flight league.
No you don't

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Don't judge Bundesliga players by their stats, they won't be able to produce that in a way tougher league where you get much less time on the ball after receiving it. Look at Mkhitaryan and Kagawa for example. When you look at all of Sancho's Bundesliga goals and assists, most of the time he had ages to make a decision before he was closed down by the opposition defenders.
How do you explain then Mané struggling at Bayern?
Sané to need a good year to adapt to the demands Nagelsmann has.

Kagawa returned to Dortmund and never found his form again he had before his United switch.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I know you've got a stick up your arse about the PL, but it's a pretty commonly held opinion by those within football that the PL is the most demanding top flight league.
That's why Bayern destroyed PL big 6 teams on a regular base. Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham.
Even United's results aren't great except for your last minute CL win.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I thought this was Sancho performance thread.

Anyways good to see him back, some neat touches. Him, Rashford, Martial, Bruno played some exciting football. Maybe we will see him more as a 10 with him and Bruno swapping positions.

I think he'll do well at no.10, but probably not well enough to displace Bruno.

C'mon Sancho, sort your wingplay out. That's what we bought you for.
I think it will be good for us to have different options at 10 and winger with different styles of play. Sancho is a player who looks for interchanges, quick 1-2s etc. Bruno looks for crosses or shots and quick releases. Bruno plays lots of low-percentage shots and passes, whereas Sancho is more likely to pass backwards in order to keep the ball. It would be useful to have both options available to us in-game, to help us be unpredictable in attack. We've seen Bruno switching to the right recently - it changes how the rb has to play. That's how interchanging is meant to work.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think it will be good for us to have different options at 10 and winger with different styles of play. Sancho is a player who looks for interchanges, quick 1-2s etc. Bruno looks for crosses or shots and quick releases. Bruno plays lots of low-percentage shots and passes, whereas Sancho is more likely to pass backwards in order to keep the ball. It would be useful to have both options available to us in-game, to help us be unpredictable in attack. We've seen Bruno switching to the right recently - it changes how the rb has to play. That's how interchanging is meant to work.
As a United fan, I'd be happy that you're having these kind of discussions now :) I think it's a testament to Ten Hag's tactical work that you have such rotations and think more in skill sets than in definite positions. Just because Bruno is best used in the CAM position in one game doesn't mean it's the case in the next one as well. The same goes for Sancho. If he's fit again, I believe Ten Hag is one of the best coaches to get the best out of him. And if he does, I believe Sancho will be seen as one of if not the best player in the squad quickly.

redcucumber

That's why Bayern destroyed PL big 6 teams on a regular base. Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham.
Even United's results aren't great except for your last minute CL win.
You're talking about one team. If Bayern were in the PL, they'd be competing for the title. The likes of Union Berlin (currently second) and others would be nowhere near, and would be well behind the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal etc.

redcucumber

I think no one denies that. But claiming that players coming from another league are incapable to make the necessary step up just because they played in another league is probably the most stupid take that's repeated all the time here.

Some do it immediately (Haaland), some need time (Son), some fail (Kagawa).
I understood his point as more being that it's difficult to replicate numbers across leagues (in this case due to the step up of the PL), not that they are completely incapable of performing due to coming from another league. Maybe I misunderstood.

As a United fan, I'd be happy that you're having these kind of discussions now :) I think it's a testament to Ten Hag's tactical work that you have such rotations and think more in skill sets than in definite positions. Just because Bruno is best used in the CAM position in one game doesn't mean it's the case in the next one as well. The same goes for Sancho. If he's fit again, I believe Ten Hag is one of the best coaches to get the best out of him. And if he does, I believe Sancho will be seen as one of if not the best player in the squad quickly.
As a United fan, it really makes me realise that we haven't been having this kind of conversation for ages! For ages all our attackers basically want to turn and charge forward. I think you can see our fanbase are having some trouble with the idea that there are other ways to attack.

It would be nice to have the option in game of switching Bruno right because he's not finding passes in the centre, and moving Sancho centrally to help us hold the ball and move up the pitch more slowly. Likewise, if Sancho's not finding much space on the inside right you could put bruno there and get him to swing crosses in. Changes the whole game without the need for subs.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I understood his point as more being that it's difficult to replicate numbers across leagues (in this case due to the step up of the PL), not that they are completely incapable of performing due to coming from another league. Maybe I misunderstood.
When he said "won't be able to" it sounded quite definitive to me. Maybe I overreacted but if he meant it like you say here I would have expected him to write "might not be able to" or something like that ;)

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Haaland is a striker and someone who has a legitimate chance to go on and become the greatest goalscorer the game has ever seen. His game also doesn't evolve around receiving the ball and making something happen or linking up with his teammates...he's usually there for the final touch before a goal...I think you can safely say that he's one of the exceptions.

Son also took a lot of time to become one of the best players in the world.
De Bruyne another example of someone that looked nothing close in the Bundesliga to what he does in the PL. Judging by 2 players that failed at United mostly during chaotic times were the team struggled is daft. You have to judge on a case by case basis.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don’t think 10 or RW matter all that much. If Sancho can toughen up he’ll be a brilliant player. His technical qualities are fantastic.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
As a United fan, it really makes me realise that we haven't been having this kind of conversation for ages! For ages all our attackers basically want to turn and charge forward. I think you can see our fanbase are having some trouble with the idea that there are other ways to attack.

It would be nice to have the option in game of switching Bruno right because he's not finding passes in the centre, and moving Sancho centrally to help us hold the ball and move up the pitch more slowly. Likewise, if Sancho's not finding much space on the inside right you could put bruno there and get him to swing crosses in. Changes the whole game without the need for subs.
Yeah, I think that's one of the thongs you've been missing these last years. I had many discussions in here about Sancho's best position and people always said that he was very good for Dortmund on the right but didn't realize that it was in special tactical setups that allowed him to shine there. Now it seems as if the coaching team thinks much mire about the question how it can get the most out of the players available to them than seeing them in strict positions. I'd be much more confident if Ten Hag plays Sancho on the right for example because I imagine there's some sort of plan behind it than it was the case under previous managers. Makes United much more appealing to me as a neutral than before.

caid

Yeah, I think that's one of the thongs you've been missing these last years. I had many discussions in here about Sancho's best position and people always said that he was very good for Dortmund on the right but didn't realize that it was in special tactical setups that allowed him to shine there. Now it seems as if the coaching team thinks much mire about the question how it can get the most out of the players available to them than seeing them in strict positions. I'd be much more confident if Ten Hag plays Sancho on the right for example because I imagine there's some sort of plan behind it than it was the case under previous managers. Makes United much more appealing to me as a neutral than before.
Its just having a stable plan. We've slalomed from one squad / formation / tactic from one week to the next for 10 years so we never really got beyond the basics.
People know roughly what our first team and set up is. You can experiment around the margins and get a reasonably predictable result. Your not looking to plug glaring holes with a different player because the 5 you've used previously haven't worked out.

Stig

Perfect game and context for him to return. ETH has handled him well
Absolutely; and I thought he looked bright and interested and quite on song when he came on. Nothing spectacular, but he only had 20 minutes.

He may be ready for more time on the pitch, and I hope his defensive work and interest has improved with the training and discussions.

Its just having a stable plan. We've slalomed from one squad / formation / tactic from one week to the next for 10 years so we never really got beyond the basics.
People know roughly what our first team and set up is. You can experiment around the margins and get a reasonably predictable result. Your not looking to plug glaring holes with a different player because the 5 you've used previously haven't worked out.
Having a stable plan means players get to understand different roles, not just what they've been told to do this week. That makes interchanging easier without it destroying the team shape. I'm guessing this is what makes ten Hag reluctant to rotate - putting someone in who doesn't fully understand not just his own position but the positions around him jeopardises the whole team's structure and fluidity.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
His Instagram post has got comments from a lot of footballers aswell.

A lot of support for him in his comments section which is good to see.

NewDawnFades

This should be a case study on how you handle a player going through something like this - time to rest, personalised recovery plan, patience, encouragement and celebrating their return. There is a lesson beyond football here.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This should be a case study on how you handle a player going through something like this - time to rest, personalised recovery plan, patience, encouragement and celebrating their return. There is a lesson beyond football here.
I prefer to criticise him without knowing anything about what he's going through.

Gerald G

Spot on. I think it's also clear he had been going through something, obviously not sure what, but happy he's back and ETH handled it really well.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I like how he's made that moment his profile picture.

Now he's back on Instagram and has made a TikTok apparently.
And.... thats too far
back to pilgrimage you go

Just kidding. I love it. I knew he would return to social media :devil: said it back then his instagram wasnt deleted, he just changed to profile pic to a blank pic

NewDawnFades

Spot on. I think it's also clear he had been going through something, obviously not sure what, but happy he's back and ETH handled it really well.
Ten Hag is waaay more emotionally intelligent than he was made out to be prior to joining United. Can you imagine how a certain Portugaleseman would handle it?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hes a popular and well liked lad it seems from the outside

I’m guessing the trouble he has been dealing with is fairly common knowledge amongst his peers. You only really need to see the compassion they’re showing to realise he’s not just been bunking off.

Gerald G

Ten Hag is waaay more emotionally intelligent than he was made out to be prior to joining United. Can you imagine how a certain Portugaleseman would handle it?
Yup - man management is so important. And love his profile picture on social media sites. Clearly he's liking ETH - let's not talk about what Jose would have done haha

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I’m guessing the trouble he has been dealing with is fairly common knowledge amongst his peers. You only really need to see the compassion they’re showing to realise he’s not just been bunking off.
Yeah, the outpouring of support from people who likely have the inside track on what's going on probably dispel some of the more cynical takes of the possibilities.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Yeah the players clearly know something based on that support. It’s actually heart warming to a degree that nothing has been leaked so to speak regarding details.

saivet

His Instagram post has got comments from a lot of footballers aswell.

A lot of support for him in his comments section which is good to see.
Quite a few City players that don't follow him in the comments too. Saw Laporte and Mahrez in there.

Andersonson

Ddint get a sniff even today. Garnacho seems to be in front of him the queue as well. Sabitzer who has barely played football the last month got on. Rashford and Bruno was very tired the last 10 minutes and he still didnt get on the pitch. Worrying for him. Very worrying

Status
Not open for further replies.