5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betson

He has been very disappointing since his arrival , anonymous most of the time , no pace and very little drive.

Like s many of our players he lacks character when in adversity.

You can see why Garth Southgate does not fancy him.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Is he good enough for where we want to be as in challenging for trophies? In my opinion, No. Is he good enough for our current situation? I Think so, that is if ETH can get our attacking players to play anything like an actual functional unit.

It seems to be another case of people relying on stats rather than watching someone play football. I watched quite a few Dortmund games while he was there and while his final ball is very good, his all round game was always severely lacking in my opinion. Out of the twenty plus games or so I watched for them, I never really got that feeling of him being anything special.

Final balls are a lot more important when the team is playing good football so I think he could be good for us in the right system. For all our defensive problems, the most disappointing thing for me is how utterly toothless our attack seems yet again. There wasn't a single time after going one goal down that I thought we looked remotely dangerous.

I wonder why we haven't tried him as the most forward midfielder instead of fernandes as things stand. At least he wont sky the ball 50 metres above the goal every time he gets possession.
His overall game was severely lacking? Jesus, which games were you watching? Sancho was probably the player with the best overall game I've seen in the Bundesliga and that includes Robben and Ribery.

Maybe Rangnick was right after all and you really need ~10 new players. At the very least a RW so that Sancho doesn't have to play out of position to complement for Rashford.

Frank White

His overall game was severely lacking? Jesus, which games were you watching? Sancho was probably the player with the best overall game I've seen in the Bundesliga and that includes Robben and Ribery.

Maybe Rangnick was right after all and you really need ~10 new players. At the very least a RW so that Sancho doesn't have to play out of position to complement for Rashford.
You'd have a point if he was any better off the left, he's just as useless there too for us at least.

HookedOnAPhelan

He needs to grow a pair and up his intensity. Wonderfully talented player, but if the intensity/desire isn't there he won't make it at the highest level. We saw glimpses of it in pre-season, so very disappointing that he's started like this.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You'd have a point if he was any better off the left, he's just as useless there too for us at least.
Not from what I've seen last season. He didn't have much end product but his overall game under Rangnick was good. And of course your goals and assist record suffere from playing for such a disjointed team as United.

PoTMS

I've never seen it with him. Poor every time unless he's playing against shite Bundesliga teams. If we could sell him for £50m next summer, I would take it.

JB7

He's a system player, always has been. He needs players in and around him to be effective. He's much more likely to work an opportunity by one-two's around players and short passing into the box, whereas we seem to be expecting him to run in behind and own the wing on his own which wasn't his game before we signed him and has never looked likely to be his game. I'm confident that if Ten Hag can get us playing in the style he wants us to that Sancho will thrive, however if we continue to revert to type when we go 1-0 down then we may as well take him off because he's not the sort of player to win a game on his own.

GMoore23

I called it before he'd even kicked a ball for us. The mentality isn't there. He's another Pogba/Lingard sort.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We should at least try him out in his natural position (on the left) before writing him off. He is not a RW.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I've never seen it with him. Poor every time unless he's playing against shite Bundesliga teams. If we could sell him for £50m next summer, I would take it.
We have given far more time to most of the current players in the squad, he deserves to be given more time before being written off. Other players need to be sold before him.

MrBest

Pre- Season he looked reformed, when the real stuff comes, he looks lazy. Would happily see him benched if we had other players.

JoaquinJoaquin

I think the problem with Sancho is, when the chips are down, which they are for us currently, he simply cannot be relied upon because he doesn't have the fight or drive within to take the lead and produce the goods. He is happy to be 'chilled' hugging the touchline and rarely contributing.
Obviously he is a very talented player, but the mentality issue is probably the reason he won't make it in the Premier League.

Stacks

As a fan of his, I could only support this. I bet he's regretting his decision already himself. Should have gone to a team that knows how to utilize him
What does it take to utilize him? Dortmund and the Bundesliga? He never did nothing in an England shirt and now United so he seems to be an enigma. Needs very special set if circumstances to perform which isn't the most useful place to be as a footballer. Don't remember Robert Pires needing the grass a certain length and specific select group of players and certain coloured boots in order to perform.

Blood Mage

He really lacks athleticism and pace and it's a shame as technically he's close to Neymar level.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He has to play LW for me. Teams are doubling up on him and, being a right footed RW, he is funneled into blind alleys where there is zero space. The result, he has to turn back and pass sideway in order to keep possession.

On the LW he can dribble into the space in front of the deep defence/across the box, opening up goalscoring opportunities and link up opportunities (one of his major strengths we've not been able to exploit). This is where I feel he is best.

I think he only works on the RW when we can create 1 V 1 situations and have the opposition stretched, which just doesn't happen much in the PL compared to Bundesliga. At the moment all he's doing is laying it of for Dalot to swing crosses in. That's a waste of his talents completely.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Buying him was a mistake but he should come good in a more fluid and workable system, he'll never be a match Winner on his own.

Still I find his deficiency in taking on defenders quite disheartening .

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
no he isn't. If he had that technique he would still shine like say Hazard or David Silva. He is becoming almost mythical now
Hazard was very quick, and ridiculously strong for someone of his size. David Silva is a good shout though, he was never quick, and while strong on the ball due to his low center of gravity and agility, it’s definitely one part of the Spaniard’s game Sancho could and should be trying to emulate.

You mentioned Pires in another comment, but there are similarities there. Pires struggled during his early Arsenal career, and faced very similar criticisms to what Sancho is getting now. A lot of people said Pires wasn’t physics enough for the PL, and wouldn’t be able to succeed for this reason. While you said Pires didn’t need certain conditions to perform, he was part of one of the best left flanks the league has seen. Ashley Cole’s work at LB, combined with how Henry would frequently vacate the central corridor allowed Pires to function in the areas that maximised his strengths and minimised his weaknesses.

This isn’t to say Sancho has Neymar’s technique, or that Sancho hasn’t been shite. He needs to improve on many facets of his game, as well as his decision making and ability to impose himself during matches. There’s definitely a player there though even if he has been garbage

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What does it take to utilize him? Dortmund and the Bundesliga? He never did nothing in an England shirt and now United so he seems to be an enigma. Needs very special set if circumstances to perform which isn't the most useful place to be as a footballer. Don't remember Robert Pires needing the grass a certain length and specific select group of players and certain coloured boots in order to perform.
Not United. I'm optimistic he'd reproduce his Dortmund form for every cohesive top team out there. City, Liverpool, Bayern, Chelsea, PSG, Arsenal, Barca, Madrid, ...

I'd be more worried how United manages to make almost every player look shit

fps

*sigh*

I don't know how often I have to repeat this, but Dortmund had a lot of issues in recent years and was far from continuously having a great system that makes players look better than they are. On the contrary he dragged a tumbling side to a cup win in his last season and stood out during this run.

Calling Sancho a system player is just a lazy excuse for deeper individual reasons that surely have to exist, otherwise his performances for United just don't make sense, I agree that he doesn't look the same as in Dortmund.
I feel he has no confidence and doesn’t know what is being asked of him as the basics of a performance on the pitch. I feel he has no idea where any of his team mates will be at any time on the pitch. Those things combined make things very hard.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he is like mata as some people say - shouldn’t his best be central play?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I feel he has no confidence and doesn’t know what is being asked of him as the basics of a performance on the pitch. I feel he has no idea where any of his team mates will be at any time on the pitch. Those things combined make things very hard.
Yes something like that. Also I got the feeling that he needs a good environment. While Dortmund had sporting issues it rarely felt like they had dressing room issues.

He might just be crushed by the dynamics inside United's dressing room.

If he is like mata as some people say - shouldn’t his best be central play?
Indeed some if his best Dortmund games were as part of the "double 10" in a 3421 system where he played more central than as a winger in a 4231. That role was similar to that in the 4222 Rangnick tried last season.

Bebestation

Yes something like that. Also I got the feeling that he needs a good environment. While Dortmund had sporting issues it rarely felt like they had dressing room issues.

Indeed some if his best Dortmund games were as part of the "double 10" in a 3421 system where he played more central than as a winger in a 4231. That role was similar to that in the 4222 Rangnick tried last season.
I find Sancho’s best asset is his through balls, so I want to see him play centrally during a game.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
no he isn't. If he had that technique he would still shine like say Hazard or David Silva. He is becoming almost mythical now
He's definitely the closest thing to Neymar there is among young players. Stylewise they are so similar, I wonder how one can ignore that.

redcafe_reader

Sancho has been disappointing so far but he's only 22, and he joined us at the worst possible time: 3 managers, no leadership or even seniorship, divided dressing room etc.. we also seem to have issue passing to him on the right, maybe Scholes msg about "bring your forward more talented players into the game" is about Sancho?

I think even a 22 year old Ronaldo or Rooney would look lost in our current team.

And maybe that's my unpopular opinion but he doesn't look lazy to me, he just can't get into the game.

ForeverRed1

He's a system player, always has been. He needs players in and around him to be effective. He's much more likely to work an opportunity by one-two's around players and short passing into the box, whereas we seem to be expecting him to run in behind and own the wing on his own which wasn't his game before we signed him and has never looked likely to be his game. I'm confident that if Ten Hag can get us playing in the style he wants us to that Sancho will thrive, however if we continue to revert to type when we go 1-0 down then we may as well take him off because he's not the sort of player to win a game on his own.
This. It’s actually unfair on him.

alexanderplatz

Interesting points - only United could pay that much for a system player without the system in place for him to be effective!

Bebestation

If Sancho kills it after getting this system everyone knows about then Van De Beek is going to be deadly afterwards too.

It’s a shame that Arsenal can suddenly start buying good young players without exactly having some sort of magical system to fit them in.

fps

In terms of dressing room and morale, I feel Ronaldo’s arrival must have been awful. They were starting to find their way with developing leaders, new voices, then in comes someone with his kind of personality. And of course a hero to them all, so he had the floor and no doubt they would defer to him, and those new voices would pipe back down. Then when they started losing - imagine looking round the dressing room and one of the all-time greats, a hero to so many of them, who has won it all, is looking at you and everyone else in disgust.

Born2Lose

People are right he is a system player, and the system is playing for one of the two in a two horse league.

Dortmund we're finishing second when he was there, and they finished second after they lost out on this "generational talent".

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
People are right he is a system player, and the system is playing for one of the two in a two horse league.

Dortmund we're finishing second when he was there, and they finished second after they lost out on this "generational talent".
Are you suggesting he should join Liverpool, City, Madrid or Barcelona? I'm all for that as well :)

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
None of these clubs would have him
Before he joined United, they obviously would have taken him. But this is leading nowhere. Time will prove I'm right, the only question is whether United manages to sort its issues out so that he can prove it for them or whether he has to leave the club before that. Probably the most frustrating big transfer of the past years, especially because it was so predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.