Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Is this true or an assumption?
Overexaggerated truth. There are more Bundesliga teams trying to play a high line than PL teams. But it's not like every German team plays that way and no PL team does.

So in the end he had some more matches against a high line in Germany than in England, that's it.

Abraxas

It's mostly mental with this lad. He's got stacks of ability. You can go on about pace and all that but that's one aspect of football and he's not even slow. You don't do what he did in Germany at that age without being a talent no matter what the opinion of that league is.

The problem is he's not a player that stands up, sticks his chests out and says he's going to impact this game today. It's all very much moment to moment with him rather than being a Bruno that is going to be intense and commited to making a difference, for good or bad.

If he starts the game well he'll probably have a good 50 mins. If we work the ball perfectly to him he might do something. But he doesn't put himself out there to his teammates, he'll isolate himself. He often takes the easy option on the ball. His head drops easily.

He clearly doesn't work as hard as he should as being unfit for 90 mins makes you unfit for purpose as a United footballer, or it should. If you're not fit what does that mean about your wider approach to the game?

I just don't think he's a winner at the moment. He'll be someone that's carried along with the wave of whatever those around him do. Hopefully ETH gets a hold of him this season.

MrEleson

Greenwood was officially the fastest at the club. He is a real dick head for ruining his career. A peak Greenwood would be perfect in Ten Haags set up and we wouldn’t be throwing stupid money at players who are still not established yet!
I know long-term he would have been groomed to play CF; but if he didn't mess up, we wouldn't have had to overpay for Antony as Greenwood is a better talent and was good in that RW role for the foreseeable future.

Luka Mora

It's mostly mental with this lad. He's got stacks of ability. You can go on about pace and all that but that's one aspect of football and he's not even slow. You don't do what he did in Germany at that age without being a talent no matter what the opinion of that league is.

The problem is he's not a player that stands up, sticks his chests out and says he's going to impact this game today. It's all very much moment to moment with him rather than being a Bruno that is going to be intense and commited to making a difference, for good or bad.

If he starts the game well he'll probably have a good 50 mins. If we work the ball perfectly to him he might do something. But he doesn't put himself out there to his teammates, he'll isolate himself. He often takes the easy option on the ball. His head drops easily.

He clearly doesn't work as hard as he should as being unfit for 90 mins makes you unfit for purpose as a United footballer, or it should. If you're not fit what does that mean about your wider approach to the game?

I just don't think he's a winner at the moment. He'll be someone that's carried along with the wave of whatever those around him do. Hopefully ETH gets a hold of him this season.
The thing is his style of play and approach is the same way he played for Dortmund as he plays for United. The Bundelisga defenders just not as good as epl defenders so scored more goals and assists. But his all around game is exactly the same, where he plays the easy option on the ball and easily gets dispossessed if he is marked, so there isn't anything to unlock

In the CL when he played better teams he played exactly as he has played for United and for england.

Olecurls99

This is what I want.

Im not comparing him to Messi exactly - but I wonder if Sancho can be central and play through balls to inverted forwards, link up play and also dribble and centrally take on the defenders to make their life hard.
Wouldn't be a bad idea.

Abraxas

The thing is his style of play and approach is the same way he played for Dortmund as he plays for United. The Bundelisga defenders just not as good as epl defenders so scored more goals and assists. But his all around game is exactly the same, where he plays the easy option on the ball and easily gets dispossessed if he is marked, so there isn't anything to unlock

In the CL when he played better teams he played exactly as he has played for United and for england.

Well, his style of play is unlikely to change within a season. Why would it? Most players style of play don't change quickly, unless age necessitates it must or a manager gets hold of them and makes a drastic change to their role. He has to use his strengths like any other player - all kinds of players can be successful in the league. The fact many clubs target profiles more than individuals these days already tells that style is far easier bought than made. I think style is probably the wrong word, you're talking about his weaknesses. But all players can look bad if you expose their weaknesses and underutilise their strengths.

Yes the German league defenders are on average going to be weaker but it also depends on the team Sancho is in and how they're playing. At the moment it is not quite clicking partly because he's not looking a part of the team and he's not taking enough responsibility. If he was getting lots of ball continually and spoiling things it would be easier to say he is just out of his depth at this level but I do think the problem contains more nuance. I don't think the frequency of him getting ball or availability of attacking combinations is doing any favours.

How do we get him to be more influential in games? That's my biggest question. There's probably two aspects, his personal approach and tactical awareness, including his movements to get into the game. And then what we do as a team to improve the likelihood that players like Sancho can excel. And not just Sancho, but also Antony - I don't think he's going to be flying if we regularly play how we did against Sociedad for example.

ETH has the possibility to improve the team so we're not as easily marked which is one of your criticisms, but there's a massive amount of personal responsibility for Sancho to pull his finger out, get fitter, and demand more of himself on the pitch.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He needs to be a lot more aggressive when with the ball or without it, he needs to take on people more and open his body up for a shot or a switch play pass whilst cutting infield on the grass from the left wing to the right wing into Antony, Antony needs to do same too.

Bondi77

With your description of him it sounds like he should not even be a professional footballer!

jesperjaap

Check out his instagram, I think this is absolutely the problem with Sancho.
Donmt use instagram and obviously a problem with a lot of players in the modern game.

For me the problem seems that he is actually struggling with the step up to such a big club and expectations of him. Obviously not helped coming into a side low on confidence anyway.

But he seemed to be buzzing with confidence at Dortmund, he looks to be here most game here like he is nervous, like there has been a big adrenaline dump and he has tired easily because of it, hsi head seems to drop a lot when he doesnt start well he doesnt improve.

There is no doubting his ability, we hav eseen it with a few flashes of brilliance here where he is just instintive.....but his general play has been poor, think he is someone that rather than coaching just needs to get his head right and play like its street football and instinctive, but no doubting he has been generally pretty poor here so far regardless of the fee

Skills

Snitch

I mean that's a better performance than anything he's ever done in a United shirt. He's at least getting on the ball and actually you know, doing something.

El Jefe

Thing is he's a notoriously slow starter dating back to his time at Dortmund and we had evidence of this last year too.

While he's frustrating as feck right now, he does have the ability to switch it on and usually does after a subdued start. He could have most of us eating our words easily a bit down the line.

The weird thing about him is there are times he looks ok from a physical standpoint. When he decides to take the game to defenders with high intensity, he's a totally different player. We saw that at points last season and in preseason, so for me its a matter of intent and fitness.

Both Silvas, Nasri, Mata, Hleb, Payet etc all played out wide successfully without particularly being speedy, Sancho 100% has the ability but its about how much he wants it IMO.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It didn’t help the other night that he had fecking Lindeloff behind him offering zero attacking support.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Why can't he take on the full back and beat him ? Sure he won't beat him everytime, even if he does it 4-5 times it would create good goal scoring opportunities.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Owen Hargreaves :nervous:
While Hargreaves wasn’t a success long term, I believe City would be over the moon if one of their BL signings helped them win the CL.
Let’s hope Erling isn’t that guy!

El-Manos

Not worried about him. Ten hag will get the best out him sooner rather than later. Talent is there for all to see and i genuinely think he loves being here.

Devil81

His lack of pace isn't the only thing stunting his career. He looks like a lad that needs to take his career more seriously, I'm not convinced he's giving it everything every time he takes to the field.

Gets dragged off every game between 60 to 70 minutes.

Sheriff Tiraspol 0:2 Man Utd

Skills

Snitch
I'm getting more and more convinced his long term future might be as a false 9. He's got the Martial problem of just coasting on the wing (and he doesn't have Martial's ability to beat a man), so you force him into the middle of the pitch where he automatically gets involved a lot more & can't coast even if he wants to.

kundalini

Super skill for his goal and a decent attempt that was cleared off the line. Apart from that he was quiet. Wasted a promising situation near the end with a poor touch.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
So, he’s clearly a central attacking midfielder, isn’t he?
He's a LAM or RAM really. He's more of an outwide playmaker that can dribble and has acceleration.

Sancho isn't a classic winger, but he's dangerous anywhere around the box.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Super skill for his goal and a decent attempt that was cleared off the line. Apart from that he was quiet. Wasted a promising situation near the end with a poor touch.
Poor touches happen to every player, Ronaldo had many poor touches all professionals get those moments.

Chief123

I'm getting more and more convinced his long term future might be as a false 9. He's got the Martial problem of just coasting on the wing (and he doesn't have Martial's ability to beat a man), so you force him into the middle of the pitch where he automatically gets involved a lot more & can't coast even if he wants to.
He would get bullied in central areas. He doesn’t like any form of physicality. All CBs would eat him alive. He wouldn’t be very good with his back to goal either for similar reasons. Receiving the ball on the wing is very different to receiving it in central areas.

redshaw

Another top finish from a nice passing move. I'm sure he'll prove his worth when we get better as a team.

MDFC Manager

Another top finish from a nice passing move. I'm sure he'll prove his worth when we get better as a team.
Yea he's one of those who's got magic close go/in the box. Doesn't seem to enjoy having the ball too much otherwise.

Skills

Snitch
He would get bullied in central areas. He doesn’t like any form of physicality. All CBs would eat him alive. He wouldn’t be very good with his back to goal either for similar reasons. Receiving the ball on the wing is very different to receiving it in central areas.
If your false 9 is standing around tussling with CBs you're not using him correctly.

caid

I like him. He can and will play one / two touch football and doesn't overcomplicate things, knows when to recycle possession and keep the ball (which will get complaints but needs doing sometimes). Can pick a good pass, scores goals, clever. Solid defensively, probably the most switched on of our attacking players in that regard.
Hes good, if you were throwing him next to the players we hoped Martial and Rashford would become he'd probably be perfect. Were lacking a goalscorer and a forward he can play off and feed but hes been good recently.

Sylar

He scores some great goals when we put a great team move together. He moves into fantastic positions and gets him self into a great goal scoring opportunity which he usually takes

Think he will be even better once we get close to what Eth wants us to be

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If he matures a bit and starts taking more ownership, would love to see him given Bruno's role when Bruno ages out.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Very unlike Sancho, but perhaps it was already too much running for him.

Kind thinking he's sort of a midfielder version of Shaw. Both players would benefit of playing centrally imho. Anyway, agreed with the rest that he's a great team palyer, if we can elevate our team paly a level or two above, with a proper striker and DLP on the same wavelength. He will score many goals like that and many assists.

He's a 20+20 player every season.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
People expecting a pacey, tricky winger must’ve been watching a different Sancho over the years. For me, he is doing exactly what he’s good at, and is starting to look really comfortable in this team and league. He’s a superb team player, with good movement, excellent in tight spaces, cool under pressure. I like him a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.