Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffthered

He was excellent last night.
I must be watching a different game. You think Jadonm played well. What did he do? Shoot? Score? Assist? Pass? Tackle? What did he do 'well' against an absolute travesty of a Chelsea team?

Amongst some, our standards are slipping. You look at KDB, Vinicious Jnr, Haaland.. Osimehn, Odegaard, Saka.. and we want to rate performances like last night from Sancho?

We need to get real. What do we want from Manchester United?

Jadon Sancho needs to deliver, big time next season, or he can go in January as far as I am concerned. He has done nothing since his arrival. Sorry if such a point of view seems dismissive and old-fashioned, but it's how I see things. We have had a decade with a litany of overpaid players who are nothing but average. If Sancho played for Watford, he wouldn't look out of place.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I must be watching a different game. You think Jadonm played well. What did he do? Shoot? Score? Assist? Pass? Tackle? What did he do 'well' against an absolute travesty of a Chelsea team?

Amongst some, our standards are slipping. You look at KDB, Vinicious Jnr, Haaland.. Osimehn, Odegaard, Saka.. and we want to rate performances like last night from Sancho?

Jadon Sancho needs to deliver, big time next season, or he can go in January as far as I am concerned. He has done nothing since his arrival. Sorry if such a point of view seems dismissive and old-fashioned, but it's how I see things. We have had a decade with a litany of overpaid players who are nothing but average. If Sancho played for Watford, he wouldn't look out of place.
Assist.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

He did assist...tbf...but I can take your general point.

I think any improvement on ineffective is being seen as good and I get that people want to find positives about him given the player folks hoped he would be.

Your main point is right though. We are a few years down the line on The Sancho Express and he's never got a head of steam.

I don't really understand what his elite talent is or what his major strengths are from a pov of a top club.

I keep hoping, but I'll be honest if a decent offer came in I probably wouldn't wait until Jan...which is a shame because I want it to work out for him.

I hope he manages to sort himself out and get back to enjoying the game because he doesn't really look like he is. From an outsider's point of view obviously.

fergosaurus

You can complain about Chelsea being shit but Sancho was clearly one of our best players.

Idxomer

Again yesterday he was our best player in progressive carrying distance and progressive carries. He also made the most key passes in the team and had 1.9 xAG.

It would be a shame if never reach his potential at United because his talent is bigger than any of our other forwards.

londonredmaniac

Again yesterday he was our best player in progressive carrying distance and progressive carries. He also made the most key passes in the team and had 1.9 xAG.

It would be a shame if never reach his potential at United because his talent is bigger than any of our other forwards.
Interesting.

You think he has more in his locker than Rashford or Garnacho for example? Genuine question.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Interesting.

You think he has more in his locker than Rashford or Garnacho for example? Genuine question.
He has more skill in his locker than Rashford, Rashford's biggest attribute is his pace, Sancho doesn't have that, Garnacho, probably not

Jeffthered

That assist would be basic for a semi-professional. That goal was made by the pass from Casimero. That's the key to that goal.

Surely, surely, we must be expecting more from our front line than this? What next, Martial produced a 'clinical XG finish...' or something. The guy is on how much a week? And I watched this game, and Sancho's contributions were anything but great... we, we were sloppy and he was part of that performance.. how does that now equate to something.. why battle all season, reach top four and yet wish to accept the average? I don't understand it. I really don't. Nothing personal, but Jadon from Bundesliga to now is like a different, completely different player, character in fact.

Idxomer

Interesting.

Definitely more than what Garnacho showed so far in his career. Rashford is more impactful but if Sancho can reach his level at Dortmund consistently, he would affect the overall quality of our football more.

Brightonian

Would like to see this vs Fulham:

Martial
Garnacho Mainoo Sancho​

And this vs City:

Martial
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Sancho's impact did seem to improve against Chelsea once he swapped sides - his passes from the left had been repeatedly over/undercooked; the xA all came from the right. So keep him there to see if he can build on this performance. With Antony out he's the obvious option to then start there against City - his ability to retain possession will be important.

fergosaurus

That assist would be basic for a semi-professional. That goal was made by the pass from Casimero. That's the key to that goal.

Surely, surely, we must be expecting more from our front line than this? What next, Martial produced a 'clinical XG finish...' or something. The guy is on how much a week? And I watched this game, and Sancho's contributions were anything but great... we, we were sloppy and he was part of that performance.. how does that now equate to something.. why battle all season, reach top four and yet wish to accept the average? I don't understand it. I really don't. Nothing personal, but Jadon from Bundesliga to now is like a different, completely different player, character in fact.
:rolleyes:

“He did very well on the right side and I think he played a very good game,” Ten Hag said after Thursday’s 4-1 defeat of Chelsea.

londonredmaniac

Definitely more than what Garnacho showed so far in his career. Rashford is more impactful but if Sancho can reach his level at Dortmund consistently, he would affect the overall quality of our football more.
I appreciate it's a difficult one with Garnacho. Different stages of development and nobody can be sure quite what his potential is yet. Could be anywhere across the spectrum by the time he is Sancho's age.

Let's see. As you say, if we can find that player in him we have a proper asset on our hands. It's whether we can or that player is still in him in this setting I suppose.

You'd give him another season is take it? Perhaps see what ETH can do with him longer term?

londonredmaniac

Your first point is a bit daft. The amount of players, even premier league players, that would be going for goal there and ignoring the square ball is obviously pretty substantial.

The rest I have a tendency to agree with...he's not demonstrated anything like the level of talent we thought we were getting.

My worry is your last point, again without knowing him as an individual. Is he a different character? Is he enjoying playing the game?

Either way, I hope he gets his form back. Here or somewhere else (minus our rivals of course)

fps

Spend too long waiting for players to perform and they end up like Martial, still hanging around. Absolutely, he makes it to the standard next season or should be sold next summer.

Idxomer

I appreciate it's a difficult one with Garnacho. Different stages of development and nobody can be sure quite what his potential is yet. Could be anywhere across the spectrum by the time he is Sancho's age.

Let's see. As you say, if we can find that player in him we have a proper asset on our hands. It's whether we can or that player is still in him in this setting I suppose.

You'd give him another season is take it? Perhaps see what ETH can do with him longer term?
I don't think we have a choice but yeah I would give him another season.

His two seasons with United haven't really been under the best circumstances for different reasons. Now, there's some stability regarding the manager and he knows what's needed from him. He showed some flashes this season and there's a possibility he could raise his level with the team hopefully getting better next season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I don't think we have a choice but yeah I would give him another season.

His two seasons with United haven't really been under the best circumstances for different reasons. Now, there's some stability regarding the manager and he knows what's needed from him. He showed some flashes this season and there's a possibility he could raise his level with the team hopefully getting better next season.
Can't see him going anywhere, next season will be his last chance saloon, those flashes need to be turned in to consistency, if they don't he's toast at United and no other PL team would touch him

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

He was probably our best player. Laid chances on a plate all game. Could have had about 4 assists, ended with only 1. Made good runs repeatedly with and without the ball. Worked hard defensively. Made good decisions on the ball and linked up well.

Yesterday was an excellent Sancho performance. Started off shaky as he's low on confidence but 2nd half was the most confident I've seen him play all year, and he was excellent. Yes, opponent was shit, but he still was our best player.

I assure you if he plays like yesterday or even close to it on a regular basis, nobody would complain about him.

Borninthe80ts

Enjoyed it too.... but give it a few poor performances and the stats guys will be out again questioning the lack of assists even though he laid a number of chances on a plate only for them to be fluffed. Really hoping with a better striker next season that Sancho will continue to show his worth.
I think that’s the perspective I take with sancho too. Some players effect can’t always be measured by facts and figures but on their positive influences on the team.

I also believe that with a central striker to play off he will demonstrate the pass and move qualities that make him dangerous and as you say take the chances he provides.

It’s weird how things connect sometimes as I see a lot of chemistry and similarities between him and Wan Bissaka. Both regularly criticised and at times warranted, but both showing improvement in recent weeks. Or for me, people recognising the positive things they do rather than the negative all the time.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
He was probably our best player. Laid chances on a plate all game. Could have had about 4 assists, ended with only 1. Made good runs repeatedly with and without the ball. Worked hard defensively. Made good decisions on the ball and linked up well.

Yesterday was an excellent Sancho performance. Started off shaky as he's low on confidence but 2nd half was the most confident I've seen him play all year, and he was excellent. Yes, opponent was shit, but he still was our best player.

I assure you if he plays like yesterday or even close to it on a regular basis, nobody would complain about him.
Oh yest they would complain, this is the CAF but I agree with the assessment

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I think that’s the perspective I take with sancho too. Some players effect can’t always be measured by facts and figures but on their positive influences on the team.

I also believe that with a central striker to play off he will demonstrate the pass and move qualities that make him dangerous and as you say take the chances he provides.

It’s weird how things connect sometimes as I see a lot of chemistry and similarities between him and Wan Bissaka. Both regularly criticised and at times warranted, but both showing improvement in recent weeks. Or for me, people recognising the positive things they do rather than the negative all the time.
I think his long term future is as a 10, ultimately a potential Bruno replacement, I don't think he has the burst of speed to be an effective winger

spiriticon

This 'He's better on the left, no better on the right," argument keeps forever going round in circles for a few of our players.

Sancho was bought to fill that gap on the right. He was so bad we tried him on left. He didn't make an lasting impact so we're trying him on the right again.

Honestly...:houllier: Let's hope he stays on the right forever.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
This 'He's better on the left, no better on the right," argument keeps forever going round in circles for a few of our players.

Sancho was bought to fill that gap on the right. He was so bad we tried him on left. He didn't make an lasting impact so we're trying him on the right again.

Honestly...:houllier: Let's hope he stays on the right forever.
The change in manager has something to do with it, ETH favours inverted wingers so on that basis Sancho is a LW in ETH's thinking

Bondi77

I liked that Sancho seems to be running harder now and maybe Erik is starting to kick his arse and no more mister nice guy.
Big game for him against Fulham as an FA Cup final spot is up for grabs.

Borninthe80ts

I think his long term future is as a 10, ultimately a potential Bruno replacement, I don't think he has the burst of speed to be an effective winger
I know it’s rare on forum but we have an agreement 2 posts in a row.

I too believe that he would be better in the middle as a 10. He is a very good short passer, calm in hectic situations and can dribble in tight spaces. In the middle he can go either way when attacking and though not super quick can accelerate when need. Also in the middle he can drift wide and interchange easier.

This would also allow ultimately to get Amad in the team too or Garnacho in the future too.

Walters_19_MuFc

5 key passes, which was the most in the game. Again, this tells us about the type of winger he is. Is he going to knock it around the full back and cross it in? More ofthen than not, no he won't. He just isn't that type of player. When he has runners around him; however, he will look to play those short, well timed passes, as we so often saw him do at Dortmund.

Play him against Fulham on the right and see how he gets on.

Borninthe80ts

I was alluding to this in previous posts about the type of player and people’s expectations for him. He can beat a man in different ways and his style of play is definitely confidence based and dependent on team fluidity to byte 100 per cent effective.

As ever with top players the team and they themselves have to adapt to be effective and I believe we are seeing this progress with Jadon.

As you have demonstrated with a scorer to sniff the goals maybe his assists tally would be higher.

aeh1991

I'd love to see him playing with an offensive FB like Frimpong who likes to overlap and a striker like Kane who csn get those chances in before writing him off. His chance making is top class.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Spend too long waiting for players to perform and they end up like Martial, still hanging around. Absolutely, he makes it to the standard next season or should be sold next summer.
Martial was very good for us for some period of time. Peak Martial would take this team a level up. Whatever happened to him I don't know, but he looks a shadow of himself and probably needs a change.

With Sancho you see flashes of what he can do, but I think this is a matter of how to utilise him. He isn't going to play LW with Rashford and Garnacho in the team, I don't particularly like the idea of him in no10 because our midfield is too lightweight, but I can see him edging it over Antony on RW. He is clearly far superior in terms of footballing ability, but he runs less and games pass him by when it gets rough so I can see why ETH would prefer Antony, even if he doesn't offer that much offensively.

AdNani

He looked a lot better on the right and with Antony out he'll get a chance to play there, hope he impresses.

Lee565

He is never going to be first choice above a fit rashford or Antony and with amad, pellestri, garnacho and even Fernandes at times being back up options for the wing then if we can get good money for him then we will be better of moving him on

Ted Lasso

Family is at the root of everything that I do, and it's also at the root of everything that I create.
A cryptic post on Sancho's Instagram before he deleted all of the content some months ago and right before ETH said he was talking time on his own and would come back when "physically and mentally" ready.

Not enough compassion around for players or even others in general these days. Fact of the matter is, this younger generation is soft and mentally weak in comparison. From Solskjaer:

"It was necessary to wake each other up sometimes, shake each other a little. That's how we got better, that's how we became winners. If you had done that today, the players would have called their parents or their agents...

"They are far too weak, I don't know if they would have survived that time."
Glad ETH is managing whatever went on with Jadon the right way. It's been an improvement last few games and honestly glad to see he's even back in the team this season. Let's hope it's up and up for him.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Again people talking about him playing as number 10 as if it will magically make him a brave, hardworking player that provides for his team. Stop with the delusion, he won't replace bruno as no. 10, he'll BE replaced.

Borninthe80ts

Again people talking about him playing as number 10 as if it will magically make him a brave, hardworking player that provides for his team. Stop with the delusion, he won't replace bruno as no. 10, he'll BE replaced.
As I was one of the folk who mentioned the 10 role I’ve a couple questions and a comment. Do you see all number 10 as hard working.?

I believe in hard work rather than magic so hope that all players can develop, regardless of age. While I want all players in my team to be brave and hardworking that’s not necessarily the traits that I look for in my number 10 initially. I also believe he can provide in terms of assists and build up play, but if you meant something else, can you expand please? I think he has improved his work ethic but each to their own.

I’ve seen other players similar to Sancho skill set move centrally too, so feel it’s less than delusional in fairness.

Status
Not open for further replies.