Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
How far apart are the two clubs in their valuation of the player reportedly ?
Popular opinion seems to be that its about how the money is paid ie how much upfront and then subsequent installments etc.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Agreed. Do people not find it odd that despite Zorc's statement and the Dortmund social media campaign no one in Germany is saying the deal is dead? Falk who is the oracle over there even stated United have agreed personal terms yesterday so it's clear that Dortmund are indeed pushing their narrative but what's going on behind the scenes is slightly different. They have form for it.
Basically every outlet in Germany has quoted Zorc as saying there will be no deal and have accepted it as such. Taking a Sportbild reporter such as Falk as gospel is very questionable, Sportbild have not have information on Dortmund related transfer dealings in ages.

Mac Asimov

Maybe we should just move on, there has been no indication whatsoever from Sancho that he wants to come to us. In fact he seems quite happy to play his role in the BVB media circus and rub it into utd that he's staying.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think if anyone really believed that “deadline” things would have moved quicker. Players camp clearly don’t believe in it. We shall see what happens.

I doubt market will recover in a year even if pandemic is over. It’s not going to be a quick recovery. Anyone, club or player, banking on that is in la la land.
As you said, we'll see. The next window is 10-11 months down the road. If a vaccine is developed in the next 6 months and effective drugs are found, things could go rather quickly from that point onward.

But I understand where you are coming from. Wouldn't rule anything out at this point in time.

Donald Silverbridge

Jadon Sancho starting for Borussia Dortmund in a friendly means nothing, Harry Maguire played all but 1 pre-season games for Leicester last summer.

Toettchen

Supports
Preussen Muenster
Agreed. Do people not find it odd that despite Zorc's statement and the Dortmund social media campaign no one in Germany is saying the deal is dead? Falk who is the oracle over there even stated United have agreed personal terms yesterday so it's clear that Dortmund are indeed pushing their narrative but what's going on behind the scenes is slightly different. They have form for it.
About Falk: He may be the oracle for Bayern, but has never been close to BVB. Matthias Dersch and Thomas Hennecke from Kicker, Freddie Roeckenhaus from Sueddeutsche (not on Twitter) or - and currently mostly very well-informed - Sebastian Wessling from Funke Medien (@fluestertweets) are much more reliable sources when it comes to BVB. All of them wrote in the past few days and already before Zorcs announcement that Sancho will most likely stay. Wessling confirmed this in an article for Funke today (paywall) after having talked to Sascha Fligge, BVB press officer.

GJNJ

While it would be a climb down from their position Dortmund can easily spin this if they do sell. They can use that Sancho is homesick and wanted to go home, putting them in a good light from a human aspect.

They can also use the pandemic as reason for it to be a sound financial decision for the future of the club, particularly if they announced a replacement at around the same time. They could sign a replacement and cover their last year's losses and cash leftover to cover bigger losses in the next few seasons.

I know their fans would be a miffed that they had gone back on their stance but that would probably be short term while the true impact of Covid kicks in. Making a firm stance like they have to keep the high price is probably worth fans being annoyed. Most United hate our board yet they still do well commercially, I don't know if they were more popular if that would make us better, I suspect only being more successful in the pitch would do that.

I think the impact on spending will effect the transfer market more in the coming windows for the big clubs rather than this one once the reality sets in. Taking into account that part of their business model is based on player sales do they want to risk their biggest asset devaluing.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Basically every outlet in Germany has quoted Zorc as saying there will be no deal and have accepted it as such. Taking a Sportbild reporter such as Falk as gospel is very questionable, Sportbild have not have information on Dortmund related transfer dealings in ages.
SportBild exemplarily published this yesterday.

Translation:

"The clear statement of Dortmund's director of sports Michael Zorc should end the months of speculation of a move to Manchester United. However, in England they do not seem to come to terms with the definitiveness of this decision. [...]

{summary of the transfer story up until now and a short report that United are still trying}

[...] The English international is currently preparing with the BVB in their training camp in Bad Ragaz (Swiss) for the upcoming Bundesliga season. He seems to have accepted the decision. Apparently in contrast to Manchester United..."

That doesn't sound like the SportBild is convinced this is still on from Dortmund's side.

theklr

Good luck with that.
Dybala returned from holidays on the 1st of august, 4 days later we informed everyone that we had dropped our interest in him.

If image rights were a concern, we would've been happy to spend time investigating the various costs, but we didn't.

Stop pretending.
There is a possibility to negotiate with agents and intermediarys you know. And we did for several days.

And we did investigate the image rights, and found out what it would cost us too buy them.

Stop pretending to know everything as well.

El-Manos

Translation:

"The clear statement of Dortmund's director of sports Michael Zorc should end the months of speculation of a move to Manchester United. However, in England they do not seem to come to terms with the definitiveness of this decision. [...]

{summary of the transfer story up until now and a short report that United are still trying}

[...] The English international is currently preparing with the BVB in their training camp in Bad Ragaz (Swiss) for the upcoming Bundesliga season. He seems to have accepted the decision. Apparently in contrast to Manchester United..."

That doesn't sound like the SportBild is convinced this is still on from Dortmund's side.
You could easily argue they’re putting pressure on United to pay up. The fact we haven’t briefed the media saying this is off is telling too. We are usually very eager to do so, see Griezmann & Dybala pursuits. There is a good chance it might not happen but I wouldn’t say it’s a 100% off just yet.

Mihai

This is exactly what I am thinking. Why would a club come out so hard enforcing the point he is staying for them to sell him in less than 2 months?

If you look at this deal without having a Manutd hat one, it looks like the deal is off. I know alot of Manutd fans will reference the Auby and Dembele, but we are grasping now.

I really wanted this deal done but looks like we will be left dissapointed.
If they wanted to reinforce the point of him staying, they would have him say that.

Jezpeza

Translation:

Bullshit press. They know as much as me and you do. They were selling that Sancho was signing all day every day in the build up to the BvB deadline, how the deal was all but agreed, how he had signed personal terms. They knew nothing, just getting clicks. When the outcome didnt arrive, now they will sell the ‘not moving’ news, more clicks. Dortmund just dont want to weaken their negotiating position. If we want him we will sign him.

Riz

Wondering whats the CAF record on threads with highest pages, Wesley Sneijder ?
Don’t think that’s even top 3. Pogba is number 1 for sure, was over 1000 pages. Pretty sure Thiago and Vidal were the next biggest.

mu4c_20le

Seems like United misread Dortmund's stance on the deadline.
There is no deadline... it was mentioned awhile back that the deadline was just something Zorc gave to the media, it was never officially communicated to our club. So of course german media would run with it.

Woodenlung

Sometimes I think we as fans read too much into transfer dealings. A member of senior management saying Sancho is not for sale should probably be read as him actually not being for sale. It's not all briefs and counterbriefs.

And if Woodward really has misread Dortmund's stance on a hard deadline, well that would hardly be a surprise would it?

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bullshit press. They know as much as me and you do. They were selling that Sancho was signing all day every day in the build up to the BvB deadline, how the deal was all but agreed, how he had signed personal terms. They knew nothing, just getting clicks. When the outcome didnt arrive, now they will sell the ‘not moving’ news, more clicks. Dortmund just dont want to weaken their negotiating position. If we want him we will sign him.
While I agree that Sportbild is to a considerable extent bullshit, kicker, WAZ, Süddeutsche, Ruhrnachrichten and other outlets also report that a deal has been ruled out. None of them have interpreted Zorcs statement as posturing. Note that I am still not 100% that the deal can not be reached, I just see it as unlikely at this point.

mu4c_20le

Sometimes I think we as fans read too much into transfer dealings. A member of senior management saying Sancho is not for sale should probably be read as him actually not being for sale. It's not all briefs and counterbriefs.

And if Woodward really has misread Dortmund's stance on a hard deadline, well that would hardly be a surprise would it?
You must be new to this

redshaw

I'd actually prefer not to brief the media and make it clear the deal is off if I were looking at other targets. If for example Dembele is our only option I'd rather have other clubs thinking we're deciding on going all in still on Sancho but with covid etc if the deal is right we may just go for Dembele or other option and save some dosh. Best to not signal to the whole world Sancho is off quite that fast and appear desperate for an alternative.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Think I've expressed myself a little bit unclearly. Obviously they were open for sale. Probably weren't too fond of it but promised it to the player. However, I think they've actually meant the deadline and don't intend to sell him anymore now that it has expired. I read a little bit in a Dortmund forum now and then and I am friends with some supporters and they all are dead sure that he stays now. They accepted he'll leave this summer, now they're very happy he stays. If you take that away from them after positioning themselves so clearly in the public (and after the side digs Hoeneß made recently, fueling an already existing complex), they'lll be really, really pissed. And it would've been so unnecessary since they wouldn't have to position themselves like they did, with all the player interviews, tweets etc.

Have the feeling Dortmund learned their lesson after Auba and Dembele. They seem to have risen Sancho's salary out of this very reason and although Sancho has a certain reputation of being a difficult character, it doesn't seem he's disappointed at the moment. Maybe he knows that a) a transfer would also mean a certain risk regarding his status in the national team after the rescheduling of the EC and b) that next season, more clubs will be in for him, giving him more options and a better bargaining position for his salary. He can also observe the development at United for another season and see if you indeed become the title contender you're currently looking to turn into.

May be but they'd really have to tell a very, very good story to convince their supporters of this. Sancho probably would have to go into a strike for that and I don't expect that to happen.
you are totally on the money and the fact we are dithering and saying this deal is possibly still on is more foolishness/posturing from us. It just shows how out of touch with the market we are and have been. Recently Dortmund have outsmarted us on a few deals. I’d imagine the club probably believe the deal is dead now but don’t want to make a definitive statement because if they are genuinely interested they look stupid for letting the deadline pass without even making a bid. the club with the player under contract hold all the cards and they’ve told us not this summer unless 120 before this date. No backing down from that unless they want to lose a great player and look stupid into the bargain. I know who I believe at this stage anyway.

Woodenlung

You must be new to this
Not at all really. I'm well used to the annual United transfer circus. It's just I think in certain cases things are actually quite straightforward. Sometimes the prospective selling club says a player isn't for sale and they actually mean it.

pascell

They are putting him into the shopping window, they are clearly desperate to sell.
More like keeping him fit so he's had some sort of pre-season before he joins us on October 5th!

stream doesnt work
Typical hipster, efficient Germans keeping everyone waiting! Maybe they'd like £90m to help put towards a new media department.

mu4c_20le

Not at all really. I'm well used to the annual United transfer circus. It's just I think in certain cases things are actually quite straightforward. Sometimes the prospective selling club says a player isn't for sale and they actually mean it.
Perhaps, but i'm not hearing any noises at all to suggest it's off. I think there will be more news after this round of CL.

Bratt

Zorc is the boy who cried wolf. Basically, his past statements related to similar deals (Auba and Dembele) mean this is still definitely on.
If he’s the boy who cried wolf, he was bluffing the two first times, with auba and dembele, yeah?
Now the third time, the wolf is actually here, i.e. he means what he says, but no one believe him.

That’ll, unfortunately, means it’s off!

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
If he’s the boy who cried wolf, he was bluffing the two first times, with auba and dembele, yeah?
Now the third time, the wolf is actually here, i.e. he means what he says, but no one believe him.

That’ll, unfortunately, means it’s off!
No, he's the boy who cries 'pay me what I want' and if we don't do that, then we'll not get him

Chief123

How far apart are the two clubs in their valuation of the player reportedly ?
The reports leading up to this week have been that both teams have actually agreed on the price of 120m euros. The only disagreement is around the structure of it and how much is paid in each installment with Dortmund wanting a bigger chunk in the first payment. This is what has been reported anyhow. However, it wouldn’t be surprising if Woodward actually bid £20m in reality with Lingard and a packet of condoms as our offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.