Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Doesn’t this article say he’s decided to not hand in a transfer request?
Clickbait garbage.
Very misleading tweet.

This is from the same article:

The England international is keen on joining Manchester United, and speculation emerged the 20-year-old could hand in a transfer request to force a move. But according to German publication BILD, Sancho has opted against doing this.

He instead intends to show the club the same commitment he did last season, and respects the decision of club chiefs to retain him.
I agree. Just showing this is where the OP likely got that idea from.

Amerifan

The saga is fun, but I’ve concluded Dortmund is actually trying to do us a favor. We shouldn’t buy Sancho this window.

* With or without Sancho we finish 3rd or 4th if the starters are fit
* With or without Sancho we finish 5th or 6th if we rely on our bench

The only reason we finished 3rd this season was the starting XI were healthy after the COVID break and made up lost ground. Given the compressed schedule next season plus CL, ironmanning the starting XI is going to be impossible. Instead of splashing our transfer budget on one starter, we should buy 3 or 4 good quality squad players this window so the step down in quality isn't a significant when starters are rested/injured.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Last summer it was said Maguire needed to hand in a transfer request. He of course did not and Rodgers came out and said he wasnt leaving since it was too late to get a replacement. We all know what happened after
I genuinely hope it doesn't come down to Sancho handing in a transfer request as it does nothing for his reputation.

Sigma

Some vague stuff in The Mirror, probably shit sources. It says 'according to reports'.

Dumbest title ever. The fact that it says 'makes transfer request decision' clearly means he hasn't put in a transfer request without even reading the article otherwise there would be no need for the word decision.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The saga is fun, but I’ve concluded Dortmund is actually trying to do us a favor. We shouldn’t buy Sancho this window.

The only reason we finished 3rd this season was the starting XI were healthy after the COVID break and made up lost ground. Given the compressed schedule next season plus CL, ironmanning the starting XI is going to be impossible. Instead of splashing our transfer budget on one starter, we should buy 3 or 4 good quality squad players this window so the step down in quality isn't a significant when starters are rested/injured.
A very lazy summary of our season. You ignored Bruno's missing impact, Pogba being out for 6 months, Rashford being out for 3 months among other aspects of our poor first half.
If our starters are fit we are better than skimming 3rd or 4th and if Sancho joins then we look a real team. Shy from Liverpool and City, sure but he's a massive improvement.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Regarding our efforts in the market all I’m saying is why do people suddenly expect things to change? They won’t.

if the club can plead poverty (and they are absolutely loaded) in a transfer deal then why should fans pay the old price? It is a recession after all.
The club haven't pleaded poverty, they haven't said anything, it's all speculation. We aren't absolutely loaded either, if there's no fans in the stadium we'll be making losses like every other club at the current level of outgoings for an unknown amount of time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It literally says in the mirror article that he is against making a transfer request.
why would he hand in a transfer request in the middle of this? He’ll have more choice next summer and Dortmund will probably get more cash for him. he’s their prize asset and best chance of winning anything next season. Selling this summer is literally the worst possible time and 120 took that into consideration

You are probably right but we won’t get him next summer and we can hopefully always bring in a few decent squad players.

RkkMan

Do you trust Utd to spread out the money though? Cause word is we want only 3 buys and 3 buys only(RW, CB dependent on sales and a No10 also dependent on sales of Lingard/Pereira) and these 3 may still happen even with Sancho
If we don`t get him chances we are we sign some scrub as a fall back option and stick to the plan of just a CB/No10. Better we just get our first choice RW anyway anyone thinking we will "spread out the money for more buys" is in dreamland.

romufc

Some vague stuff in The Mirror, probably shit sources. It says 'according to reports'.

The mirror is the worst when it comes to click bait. I have fallen for this on multiple times, now I dont bother clicking the link to any article on the mirror.

The headline on the tweet is more often than not a misrepresentation of the article.

CG1010

For what its worth I do think there are different ways to skin the cat: even if we don't get Sancho we can improve our team massively by investing in the right areas (full backs for example, and CB and possibly another AM). But if Sancho is available then we should try to get him as he has fantastic attacking outcomes.

I am honestly fine with either approaches as we aren't going to be a finished team this year. Provided we buy the right players who improve the team.

RkkMan

why would he hand in a transfer request in the middle of this? He’ll have more choice next summer and Dortmund will probably get more cash for him. he’s their prize asset and best chance of winning anything next season. Selling this summer is literally the worst possible time and 120 took that into consideration

You are probably right but we won’t get him next summer and we can hopefully always bring in a few decent squad players.
He wont force a move obviously more likely he takes the respectful approach like Maguire/AWB did but to think selling this summer is bad is an uneducated view. BVB`s financials are troubling if you`ve looked at them and there is no assurance the market next year will be back to normal as its yet to be confirmed if fans will be back in stadiums and it may take a while before a vaccine is fully approved if it stays this way going into next year literally no club at all will be able to afford him even us due to money lost from gate receipts best bet for BVB would have to be selling him for a cut price fee in 2022 which does not benefit them financially. If they get the 120m this summer they will sell 100% it is the best fee they will likely ever get and at the best time

RkkMan

For what its worth I do think there are different ways to skin the cat: even if we don't get Sancho we can improve our team massively by investing in the right areas (full backs for example, and CB and possibly another AM). But if Sancho is available then we should try to get him as he has fantastic attacking outcomes.

I am honestly fine with either approaches as we aren't going to be a finished team this year. Provided we buy the right players who improve the team.
Thing is do you actually trust Utd to do that? We`ve already fixated 3 positions(RW CB No10) not signing Sancho won`t change that it only means we sign a scrub as a fall back RW and invest in the remaining positions provided we sell the deadwood there(Smalling, Rojo, Jones for CB Lingard, Pereira no10)
There is nothing good about not getting Sancho

Judas

Open to offers
Daniel Harris probably needs to give it a rest now. He seemingly got it wrong, and he keeps digging himself more of a hole. The only reason he had an air of trustworthiness was he didn't blabber on often, and now look at him.

Donald Silverbridge

I wish we would pay the money for him and bring him in, But no, We like to drag things out, Pay the money for feck sake.

Levi

Considering that Scholes had won more in his career then Dortmund had ever done then you expect a teeny weeny bit of respect towards him. Oh well.
He said that Scholes was great player and what does winning trophies have to do with being a transfer expert?

TsuWave

Well thats that then. Nice one Ed, missed the deadline.
Hasn't it been reported we were never informed of said deadline and that Dortmund insisted to negotiate through intermediaries who were moving at turtle's pace?

Also, isn't Matt Judge the transfers guy? Why does everyone always point to Ed?

lsd

The Oracle
Love this forum, never ceases to amaze me.

Bad News = 100% believed and not questioned

Good News = Calls BS at every turn

As opposed to the countless posts saying well now Dortmund have said there is no way he is going to United means he is totally coming to United

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Considering that Scholes had won more in his career then Dortmund had ever done then you expect a teeny weeny bit of respect towards him. Oh well.
Did he show them any respect?

Moiraine

You know this is serious business and you can get banned if you can't show proper source, right? Paging @Damien
Dude You need to calm down. I didn’t post a news, i asked about the authenticity of what i read/heard. Rumor confirmed via vague sources above.

Mods is it worth reporting if someone is trying to get you banned for no apparent violation?

TrustInOle

Just a little context for all the Muppets falling before the finish;
  • We are still midway through a European tournament. Which when finished will give us more money depending on final standing.
  • We are never going to try and move on players when our season hasn't even finished. Injuries, suspensions, ect. With the exception of those not at the club.
  • Dortmund play this game with nearly every big transfer in recent history. Can't remember a time they actually won?
  • This transfer is pretty much going exactly like Maguire and AWB. Maguire played all but 1 pre season game for Leicester.
  • Most important, where have United or Sancho said the deal is over? Anyone else speaking is just tactics.
We will get our man, I have no doubt, let's just enjoy our cup run first before declaring we are a failure. 5th major European cup on the way :devil:
I swear people love being pessimistic about anything United related these days.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
The reason I prefer to read Borussia Dortmund’s annual reports instead of following Twitter and listen to the ITK it’s because where you find the money you often also find the answers. There is a reason why Watzke back track today and starts to talk about no money.

I don’t like to speculate when and how much but by reading the reports I can get an idea what’s financially possible or not. But more importantly you often find the right answers in the details.

Borussia Dortmund published information to their shareholders in the end of June 2020. The started by saying that they (the Board) will not make any forecast about future profit/losses regarding fiscal year 2019/20. By experience you know that’s negative news. But here is the interesting part. If you read the report in detail side by side with the Q3 report you can easily se that they forecast a loss of €21m in Q4. (April-June 2020) Nothing spectacular with that because Man United made the same prediction but what is interesting is that the Board of Borussia Dortmund themselves speculate about future transfer incomes. How many players in Borussia Dortmund generate a income above €50m? Well.,, Jadon Sancho is one.

If you read Watzke’s statement closely you see that he mention losses of €4m/ game. OK! Multiple those numbers with 10-15 home game and you start to understand the numbers. Another season without spectators can easily cost Borussia D (and Man United) figures in a region of €40-80m. Borussia has in Mars 31 cash reserves of €19m, United has cash reserves of £90m. Do the maths and Watzkes comments start to make sense.

Sooner or later Borussia Dortmund needs to use their credit of €60m if the Pandemic continue. Ed Woodward knows this. The same way Watzke knows about United‘s finances. It’s all there in Black and White.

Dortmund has done the right things. They put pressure on United and they have made strong statements that selling for a figure below €120m is unlikely. On the other if United don’t bite the “bone”they entering another problem. They need fresh money if they don’t want to use their credit. Keeping Sancho another season benefit them if the transfer market recover, but another season without spectators will send the market in the other direction. If all clubs except Man City, PSG and Chelsea will be without their own cash next season then the market will shrink significantly.

If Dortmund want to play safe they sell him. If they prefer to gamble with when the market will recover then they keep him.

Manchester United desperately needs a right winger and Sancho is by far our best option. Thats our position. I have no idea of the outcome but one thing is certain. Lot’s of bullshit is floating around.

el3mel

Last summer it was said Maguire needed to hand in a transfer request. He of course did not and Rodgers came out and said he wasnt leaving since it was too late to get a replacement. We all know what happened after
We ended up paying Leicester what they wanted at the end to get him but that's because we can pay 80m. I'm not sure we have enough funds to pay 120m on one player. Comparing this with other signings is simply off. He costs more than anyone of them and the question is if we can financially pay this sum or not, not that we want to pay it or not.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Most media stories do not get written unless a journalist gets multiple attestation for a story. For those who don't know, multiple attestation is confirmation of something from more than one credible source. So, for example, in the case of Sancho a decent hack is not going to write that terms have been agreed if they haven't heard this from two good sources. For instance, someone in the player's camp and someone working on the deal etc.

That does not always mean the stories are true though. Sometimes it suits a club and an agent, both of whom have to be taken as credible sources because you'd think a player's club and their agent will know what's going on with them, to claim something is happening when it is not or the opposite. In that position a journalist could think to himself 'this is pure BS I'm not writing it.' However, what if it turns out to be true? Then the journalist has turned down a story, confirmed by the selling club and player's agent, which other journalists will also pick up. How does said hack explain that to his or her editor? 'Yes I had the story but I didn't break it because I didn't believe the sources, even though they were credible.' Once you get to a certain level within the media you might be able to get away with that. However, those are the exception not the rule.

Every report we read will be sourced but it will only be as good as the source and sources have agendas. When Gaitan's camp and his club were telling the whole world he was coming to Man Utd they had an agenda. It wasn't true but it was what they were telling the media and if you're a journalist you are going to report it, just in case.

The people giving reports on Sancho are not all WUMs. They are not writing up stories claiming terms are agreed or this is the price Dortmund want solely for promo. They are writing this stuff because people involved in the situation or close to it are telling them these things. Just because these things don't end up happening it doesn't mean the journalist in question wrote them up for the purpose of misleading people (even if their sources wished to mislead). Also a lot of the time these things are not etched in stone. The intermediaries working on a deal might think they've got an agreement, then they take this back to the clubs and find circumstances have changed or the clubs aren't willing to compromise as much as they originally thought/understood. So to the player, the agents, the negotiators it might seem done, they tell the media, and then suddenly its not done.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

We haven't briefed it's off... It's still on! :drool:

Why would Dortmund still be negotiating with us if according to them he is 100% set in stone staying?

Status
Not open for further replies.