Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If United are pay anything more than 90m pounds, I think we're getting ripped off. It would be foolish to spend a huge chunk of the budget on someone when there are other positions that need addressing.
He's the position that we need most and have needed for years. No natural right sided player in our squad like him, and no depth in the attack. Signing him solves both right away, as Greenwood then becomes the 4th man who rotates for any of the 3, and we use Ighalo and James as the deeper depth players that their level is more appropriate for.
Greenwood has done well, but he's not a natural on the right and is more a scorer than creator, leaving all creativity through the middle with Bruno and Pogba. Sancho just balances it better and solves a whole lot of depth/competition for places issues.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Also in terms of minutes for everyone/who loses out etc. We'll have 4 main players for 3 positions. Thats what you want. Its the same as City having Sterling, Aguero, Mahrez and Jesus (even ignoring Leroy Sane or Bernardo Silva for the attacking positions). They'll roughly play the same amount of minutes if they all stay clear of injuries, which never happens, and we'll still need to rotate all 4 out and be careful as there will be loads of gametime to manage. So its not a concern. Form/injuries/rotation etc, they'll all rotate and feel equally as part of the starting 11.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No smoke without fire lads.

United will never admit something until it's close to being agreed. This is all just part of the chess pieces moving.

Judas

Open to offers
To be fair I think it's fairly likely we won't make an official bid until its the one we know will be accepted. We'll be heavily talking to the relevant representatives though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Germany : United bid 89m
England: No bid

Quite obvious what's going on here.

Relfy

It would be nice to get this one over the line nice and swiftly. A good statement of intent for the rest of the window. Come on Woody you bastard!

Clermontois

Supports
France
If United are pay anything more than 90m pounds, I think we're getting ripped off. It would be foolish to spend a huge chunk of the budget on someone when there are other positions that need addressing.
Could not agree more, not worth more than 60mil on a good Sunday. I rather allow Greenwood more playing time and maybe get Sarr or Ousmane Dembele as challengers. I understand our need to buy english but the prices being quoted are lunacy, especially after seeing him closely this year.

Rio at 30M and Rooney at 30M were also looked at that way, but the market changes, Sancho is worth 100M definitely.
He is not, even if/after he establishes himself in the England team his real value would probably still be less. The world is coming back down to earth with transfer fees after PSG recked the market with those completely inflated 166mil and 200mil deals but Jadon Sancho is nowhere near either of those players.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Briefing? What are we thinking?
From Dortmund PoV - Talking things up to try and up the bid.
From United PoV - Keep things quiet to avoid that.
What's actually happening - Speaking to the intermediaries and sorting out an acceptable bid / contract for the player. Once all is happy I think it will be announced pretty swiftly.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Is this genuinely how transfers work? Bid, rejection, bid rejection, bid acceptance.

I just assumed that there would be initial contact and then a rough discussion as to the value then a face to face to hash it out and come to an agreement.

ThinkTank@Cafe

A generational talent thats 20 years old proven in one of the top leagues in the world, has no bedding in time as grew up in england knows the football like the back of his hand and could play for the same club for 10+ years.

That £70 million for VVD was chuckled at, look at it now.
Ousmane Dembele before Barca transfer. Life can be cruel. I don’t think Sancho will be a new Dembele though. My point is that any transfer can fail.

mav_9me

What's actually happening - Speaking to the intermediaries and sorting out an acceptable bid / contract for the player. Once all is happy I think it will be announced pretty swiftly.
100%.

My feeling is there are no official bids until actually price agreed. So what BVB terms as bid is our unofficial offer, which is why we say no official bid.

mav_9me

Ousmane Dembele before Barca transfer. Life can be cruel. I don’t think Sancho will be a new Dembele though. My point is that any transfer can fail.
Agreed. But you have to make a decision based on your situation at that time. Hindsight will determine success and failure.

cyberman

It goes with how our transfers always work. Hell we even see this when signing English players and its the local media that has the scoops.
We have no leaks so the journos always have to go with the official word. Nothing ever comes out our end.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Utd would have known for a long time now that BVB wont accept less than what they value him at, why would they? All the talking going on would have reiterated that fact. Reps, agents, intermediaries all know the situation. Therefore i think its very likely that Utd have not bid 89m as they know it'd have been rejected. So i suspect Bild are wrong. If Ruhr Nachirchten report it, then for sure British media are wrong haha

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: As if Woodward and Judge will be seriously negotiating major transfers before the final week of the window.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Agreed. But you have to make a decision based on your situation at that time. Hindsight will determine success and failure.
At the moment, going for Sancho is a non brainer. Best prospect in the world and we have a chance to get him ata more than reasonable fee due to circumstances.

Smithy89

I get the feeling that some fans actually don't realise how good this kid is and keep mentioning the prize like it's their money :lol: I've never understood the fascination modern football fans have with price and why it even matters to them.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This season Sancho had great positional freedom and operated across the pitch, the half spaces being his favourite zones if Dortmund had a right winger his name was Hakimi. And not just in the sense of simple supporting runs. You just have watch a season compilation of Hakimi and look for Sancho's position during the attacks. It's not something that AWB is likely to be able to replicate and if Solskjaer were to tell Sancho to just do what he did at Dortmund then between him, Bruno and Pogba a lot of his qualities could end up redundant or ineffective.
Good post, and very much a concern with our FB's. But, there has been discussion on the United board about what needs to be done with our fullbacks if we're serious about challenging for the league or being a CL contender.

Could not agree more, not worth more than 60mil on a good Sunday. I rather allow Greenwood more playing time and maybe get Sarr or Ousmane Dembele as challengers. I understand our need to buy english but the prices being quoted are lunacy, especially after seeing him closely this year.

He is not, even if/after he establishes himself in the England team his real value would probably still be less. The world is coming back down to earth with transfer fees after PSG recked the market with those completely inflated 166mil and 200mil deals but Jadon Sancho is nowhere near either of those players.
You're literally a decade and change out of date with these valuations. Sancho has been 'worth' £80m+ from the start of last season let alone this one, which has taken his value up another level or two.

The market hasn't come down; there has simply been no movement of the elite since. When one of the truly top tier move again, you'll see what is and is not viable in the market. £150m won't get you Mbappe, for example, but it might get you Kane, because he's now a massive injury worry and his level has dropped a bit from the days he was touted at more than that.

If you're not prepared to pay the premium, then elite talent is not coming to your club by any other means than by final year of a contract or moving on a free. It's as simple as that.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I get the feeling that some fans actually don't realise how good this kid is and keep mentioning the prize like it's their money :lol: I've never understood the fascination modern football fans have with price and why it even matters to them.
not realising that's the going rate for a player who is legitimately earned the right to be called one of the best in the world in his position, at the ages of 18,19 and entering his 20's.

Mihai

This season Sancho had great positional freedom and operated across the pitch, the half spaces being his favourite zones if Dortmund had a right winger his name was Hakimi. And not just in the sense of simple supporting runs. You just have watch a season compilation of Hakimi and look for Sancho's position during the attacks. It's not something that AWB is likely to be able to replicate and if Solskjaer were to tell Sancho to just do what he did at Dortmund then between him, Bruno and Pogba a lot of his qualities could end up redundant or ineffective.
I doubt Ole would just tell him "do what you did at Dortmund".

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is one of them lying? Or are they both lying? I'm confused :houllier:
VD on point below:

midnightmare

Ummm... "Value" is about demand and supply and the willingness to do a deal. We need a RW more than anything. Of the RWs of top quality available in the market, Sancho is leagues ahead of everyone else on quality. Can you think of an alternative of this quality at all? Ousmane Dembele of "injured at Barca" fame? He with the attitude and fitness that has been criticized? Sarr? He of the "nowhere close to good enough" quality? He'd still cost 50 Mn given the league experience.

Sancho is by far and away the most exciting RW talent in the world, one of the absolute best attackers in Europe on the evidence of two years, has experience and knowledge of English football, knows Rashford very well from NT duties and wants to come here. If you don't see the value in that, well, no idea what you think of value.

Let's use a car analogy. Just because you think a McLaren is "overpriced", doesn't make the Corolla a great sportscar to buy.

Berbasbullet

I think him being English is huge for us too, we clearly want that British core and having the best and most talented British players has always been in our identity.

Mihai

RW is a position that hadn't been addressed since Nani left. We tried with Mkhitaryan, but everyone knows how that ended. I don't think there's another position in the team that is so exposed.

I'd also rather spend a large chunk of the budget on one position if that meant world class player, rather than fill the team with mid level players just to cover everything in one transfer window.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

5-10m off the value difference already? We're moving quickly for once :lol:

Berbasbullet

100%.

My feeling is there are no official bids until actually price agreed. So what BVB terms as bid is our unofficial offer, which is why we say no official bid.
This is how I thought it works, surely you don’t just randomly try your arm at a bid? Unless you’re arsenal going for Suarez of course.

Alemar

I think him being English is huge for us too, we clearly want that British core and having the best and most talented British players has always been in our identity.
I never understood why it is so important? From my point of view, what matters is the performance And qualities of the player, not nationality.

Besides, it’s not like we lack British players - there are quite many in the team actually, including 5 who are actually indisputable starters lately.

Berbasbullet

I never understood why it is so important? From my point of view, what matters is the performance And qualities of the player, not nationality.

Besides, it’s not like we lack British players - there are quite many in the team actually, including 5 who are actually indisputable starters lately.
Maybe marketing wise? If loads of our star players are in the main England side and are some of the stars it might make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.