Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
What do you think will happen the next time a club comes in for one of their players, and they say the same thing? Even their own players would think the same.
The exact same thing that happened after Dembele and Auba

DevTheRed

This thread is on life support for decent discussion. Sanchoff and let’s focus on other targets.
I would agree that it’s probably hanging on by a thread, pun intended, but at the same time until Jadon himself says he’s staying, or United come out and say that they tried but it’s off, I would still regard this as a possibility this may go through.

But I personally can’t see anything happening now until the Europa League finishes, as we may need to attempt to move on players who are currently with the squad to raise funds to push through the deal.

Reactions: Sultan

mancan92

Yep. I agree that we should keep the momentum going and we have to buy new player(s) for next season. So I didn't mean that we shouldn't buy more. I simply think that if Sancho doesn't happen, then we can look elsewhere for cheaper alternatives. Grealish, Rice, vdB don't cost english transfer record but will improve the squad further. Actually, they will still be quite expensive.. Grealish especially, so not exactly average players, far from that. They won't solve the right wing problem but they will solve other problems.. we need more depth as well.
I actually agree but I have absolutely no faith in our negotiation team I don't think they have plan bs and I don't believe they have clear planning.

So I'd rather they get the clear target than be scrambling around for crap afterwards.

DevilRed

I don't think I've ever seen a club so desperate to market their player in a summer transfer window before.

They are literally begging us to make a bid.

Every day one of their senior figures comes out and comments on Sancho. We haven't even made contact yet according to them! :lol:

Covid has really decimated the finances of football clubs (including ourselves).

I don't blame them for trying to secure their short/medium term future with one major player sale.

Judas

Open to offers
The idea that 2020 Utd with Ole in charge would be after a player this seriously without the clear sign they want to sign for us is so laughably negative my brain is actually frying.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You really want an answer? Because the answer is actually pretty damn boring. They gave statements about Jadon Sancho because they were asked about him. Thats it. Every statement bar Zorcs declarations on this Monday were interview answers.
So why wasn’t Sancho asked when he was standing on the side of the pitch during the friendly? Bit odd to ask everyone except the man himself... “Everyone in a five mile radius has commented on your future so can you now confirm you will definitely be staying next season Jadon?” Biggest story of the week. Chance to get a massive scoop and ask the question everyone wants answered. Either that’s one hell of an incompetent journalist or they were briefed not to ask the question and just ask questions about the match and Bellingham settling into the squad. I’m going with the latter. I’m not saying he’ll end up leaving but you’d have to be insanely naive to think things still aren’t happening in the background.

And for all those saying there’s no way Dortmund are bluffing. If you start with the assumption that this is all about maximising the price then absolutely nothing has happened that wouldn’t be expected. There’s no point doing it whilst also leaking hints that Sancho will still be sold is there? You have to go all in to sell it particularly when they’re the boy who cried wolf when it comes to this stuff. As to why they’re doing it? Sancho wants to leave. There is one buyer in town. Dortmund have been hit particularly badly by the loss of crowd money. Those three things are objective facts. That’s an incredibly weak hand to negotiate with. So how’d you turn the tables on that? You tell everyone an inflated price then set a deadline you know is incredibly unlikely to be met. Why? Because you’ve just told the world Manchester United had the chance to get their number one target for the summer and blew it. Now the story is all about how the club has failed to back Ole, Glaziers out, Woody is incompetent again etc. It’s an attempt to heap the pressure on the other side and panic them into paying top whack and stop the negativity because missing out on him is a PR disaster.

It’s a pretty clever strategy. The problem is objectively at this point nothing has actually changed. Sancho still wants to leave. We’re still the only buyer in town. Dortmund have been hit badly by the pandemic. Now it’s clear from what we’re briefing that we think Dortmund want and may even need to sell this summer. If that’s true then every day closer to the window closing increases the chances of that price coming down. You just have to stay the course. Dortmund are going to want it to be done relatively soon so they get a replacement in so if all these assumptions are correct then you’d think maybe in 2/3 weeks movement in negotiations could happen.

On the other hand the assumptions could be utter bollocks, it isn’t a bluff, Sancho will announce he’s staying and the club will end up looking very silly. It’s definitely possible but I do think what we’re attempting is based in a semblance of logic at least.

Bratt

I personally do not think Zorc is somebody risking his positive name by coming out with such a clear statement if this is not 100 % sure. For this summer I am pretty sure Sancho will not come to us.
Although I agree with being pretty sure he’s not coming, your description of Zorc is as wrong as it could be.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Every day one of their senior figures comes out and comments on Sancho. We haven't even made contact yet according to them! :lol:
Aye. We haven't made a bid, we haven't even contacted the club to register our interest, and yet we've been given deadlines, we've been told, repeatedly, that the player is happy and is staying. It all makes perfect sense. :nervous:

tenpoless

Dortmund categorically saying this is not happening anymore, player happy there and it’s just the tabloid media looking for quotes to keep muppets hanging on due to our fame/fans desperation to improve plus the transfer was so bloody obvious. United who are slow in the market probably think it’s still happening once they eventually pony up the asking but Dortmund set a deadline so they could have their squad together for maximum prep for the new season which is also what we should be doing. Ed and the glazers have dropped the ball yet again by not getting serious fast enough and making smaller offers due to the pandemic and when it’s all said and done I have a bad feeling It’s going to be another summer of what ifs for Utd supporters. We currently aren’t seriously linked with anyone else who’s going to improve us enough to challenge next year.

When stadiums reopen are the glazers going to charge the fans less for season tickets because of pandemic or will the cost of jerseys fall? Not at all.120 in instalments was a price which took the pandemic into consideration and within a certain timeframe would have been too good for them to turn down but we tried to use covid to get the price down even more and Dortmund have said feck that we can get at least 120 or more for him next season and they will. They don’t desperately need the money like some posters have been saying. They are well run and efficient. They’ve their business done keeping sancho and bringing in Bellingham one of the brightest talents in Europe. To a lesser extent the same thing happened with Bellingham. Dortmund were saying for months they had him but our fans keep hanging on till the official announcement and United kept quiet. The media just keeps us invested because there’s lots of us. People need to realise that we are badly run and there are no surprises it’s just the way things are. Glazers unfortunately for them still need to invest a lot more because they hired Woodward who’s cocked everything up and wasted most of their money the last 7 years. They either back him properly to fix it or let him be the fall guy at the end of the day. It’s ole and the fans I feel most sorry for if they feck this summer up.

Dortmund - sorted, smart business done. Fans appeased. United looking badly run and their fans waiting for the surprise that never happens.
Have you ever bought something that doesn't have a sticker price? where you can negotiate with the seller? if the seller does not want to sell, he/she would just close the shop or tell you that it's not for sale once and that's it. Not walking around your house everyday with the item shouting "This item is not for sale! but would you look at it? look! we have it!! and we're going to allocate more money and care for it! do you hear me! not for sale!" when they know that you were interested in it but didn't meet his/her price expectation. They want attention from United. This is a strategy to make sure they won't have to reduce the price if Sancho leaves. As long as the window is still open, there's still a chance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People often talk about these chains.
But they never happen like this
Of course it does, you just never really notice as it might not happen as linear as that.

Often selling clubs will want to have a replacement lined up before they sell.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Dortmund categorically saying this is not happening anymore, player happy there and it’s just the tabloid media looking for quotes to keep muppets hanging on due to our fame/fans desperation to improve plus the transfer was so bloody obvious. United who are slow in the market probably think it’s still happening once they eventually pony up the asking but Dortmund set a deadline so they could have their squad together for maximum prep for the new season which is also what we should be doing. Ed and the glazers have dropped the ball yet again by not getting serious fast enough and making smaller offers due to the pandemic and when it’s all said and done I have a bad feeling It’s going to be another summer of what ifs for Utd supporters. We currently aren’t seriously linked with anyone else who’s going to improve us enough to challenge next year.

When stadiums reopen are the glazers going to charge the fans less for season tickets because of pandemic or will the cost of jerseys fall? Not at all.120 in instalments was a price which took the pandemic into consideration and within a certain timeframe would have been too good for them to turn down but we tried to use covid to get the price down even more and Dortmund have said feck that we can get at least 120 or more for him next season and they will. They don’t desperately need the money like some posters have been saying. They are well run and efficient. They’ve their business done keeping sancho and bringing in Bellingham one of the brightest talents in Europe. They should have been OUR business almost done too but here we are. To a lesser extent the same thing happened with Bellingham. Dortmund were saying for months they had him but our fans keep hanging on till the official announcement and United kept quiet. The media just keeps us invested because there’s lots of us. People need to realise that we are badly run and there are no surprises it’s just the way things are. Glazers unfortunately for them still need to invest a lot more because they hired Woodward who’s cocked everything up and wasted most of their money the last 7 years. They either back him properly to fix it or let him be the fall guy at the end of the day. It’s ole and the fans I feel most sorry for if they feck this summer up. I also think if we don’t seriously invest then there’s a big risk Pogba won’t sign a new deal. As I’ve said before Bruno’s panic signing in January can only cover up so much mismanagement. He’s one player and he looks wrecked already.

Dortmund - sorted, smart business done. Fans appeased. United looking badly run and their fans waiting for the surprise that never happens.
Why would the Glazers reduce ticket prices to increase losses further? Tickets which they can't even currently sell. Also the Glazers don't set the price of a United shirt at your local JD Sports, Adidas might but it still has nothing to do with the massive hole in the finances due to corona.

If everyone in Dortmund knows that the deal is definitely off and they want to publicise it so much then why don't they put Sancho in front of the cameras and put it to bed?

It's pointless ranting about how bad we are in the market until at least when it closes on October 5th and we can see whether we should have paid £120m early on or not.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Seriously? How's this on Ed ?
as much as I hate eds smug face and his Disneyland statement and manager appointments not signing Sancho is mostly on the glazers. Im sure Ed would have loved to have been given the money to just go there and bring Sancho back to England last week, although maybe he has been and he’s messed it up by trying to wrangle a lower deal like he supposedly did with Bellingham who knows? I do know Sancho would strengthen the brand and the signing over 5 years is a no brainier. At the end of the day we are being financed and managed by someone who’s priority is always profit, he’s rarely in the country and the evidence shows he knows feck all about football and his second in command is also pretty clueless when it comes to football matters. You can see the results since Fergie left for yourself.

red thru&thru

The idea that 2020 Utd with Ole in charge would be after a player this seriously without the clear sign they want to sign for us is so laughably negative my brain is actually frying.
Hahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only one then. :lol:

AshRK

I think we qre playing the waiting game which could backfire big time. Club wants sancho but they don't want to pay lump sum upfront. But the issue is Dortmund are not Leicester or Sporting that they will buy into this bs.

Ali Dia

Why would the Glazers reduce ticket prices to increase losses further? Tickets which they can't even currently sell. Also the Glazers don't set the price of a United shirt at your local JD Sports, Adidas might but it still has nothing to do with the massive hole in the finances due to corona.

If everyone in Dortmund knows that the deal is definitely off and they want to publicise it so much then why don't they put Sancho in front of the cameras and put it to bed?

It's pointless ranting about how bad we are in the market until at least when it closes on October 5th and we can see whether we should have paid £120m early on or not.
Regarding our efforts in the market all I’m saying is why do people suddenly expect things to change? They won’t.

if the club can plead poverty (and they are absolutely loaded) in a transfer deal then why should fans pay the old price? It is a recession after all.

Stretender

When stadiums reopen are the glazers going to charge the fans less for season tickets because of pandemic or will the cost of jerseys fall? Not at all.120 in instalments was a price which took the pandemic into consideration and within a certain timeframe would have been too good for them to turn down but we tried to use covid to get the price down even more and Dortmund have said feck that we can get at least 120 or more for him next season and they will. They don’t desperately need the money like some posters have been saying. They are well run and efficient. They’ve their business done keeping sancho and bringing in Bellingham one of the brightest talents in Europe. They should have been OUR business almost done too but here we are. To a lesser extent the same thing happened with Bellingham. Dortmund were saying for months they had him but our fans keep hanging on till the official announcement and United kept quiet. The media just keeps us invested because there’s lots of us. People need to realise that we are badly run and there are no surprises it’s just the way things are. Glazers unfortunately for them still need to invest a lot more because they hired Woodward who’s cocked everything up and wasted most of their money the last 7 years. They either back him properly to fix it or let him be the fall guy at the end of the day. It’s ole and the fans I feel most sorry for if they feck this summer up. I also think if we don’t seriously invest then there’s a big risk Pogba won’t sign a new deal. As I’ve said before Bruno’s panic signing in January can only cover up so much mismanagement. He’s one player and he looks wrecked already.

What will you be saying once United make a bid and sign Sancho? Panic buying? Once United are done with Europa tournament, Sancho will be signed. Bellingham did not want to join United because he wanted more money and United could not guarantee him first team starting place and rightly so. Stop being dramatic mate.

red thru&thru

Love this forum, never ceases to amaze me.

Bad News = 100% believed and not questioned

Good News = Calls BS at every turn
Yep, basically this is it, in a nutshell.

Surely people should look at all the information available and then use their own logic?!

Ali Dia

What will you be saying once United make a bid and sign Sancho? Panic buying? Once United are done with Europa tournament, Sancho will be signed. Bellingham did not want to join United because he wanted more money and United could not guarantee him first team starting place and rightly so. Stop being dramatic mate.
wouldn’t you rather go with the evidence that’s actually in front of you instead of all these what ifs. What it Dortmund are bluffing. What if sancho hands in a transfer request. What if he’s not actually happy here. What if we’ve actually learned a thing or too about efficiency in the transfer market over the last few years. That’s too many what ifs for my liking.

if we get him for less than 120 I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong

if we eventually pay 120 why didn’t we just pay it at the start

most likely scenario we don’t get him. Why didn’t we just pay up while we had the chance.

Rooney1987

I personally do not think Zorc is somebody risking his positive name by coming out with such a clear statement if this is not 100 % sure. For this summer I am pretty sure Sancho will not come to us.
Zorc doesn't care what people thing of him, the history on other transfers show this. Just like all the other transfers I think this is a win win for him. If Sancho stays he can brag how it all worked but he if goes he'll brag how all this nonsense worked and they got 120mil during a pandemic.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
wouldn’t you rather go with the evidence that’s actually in front of you instead of all these what ifs. What it Dortmund are bluffing. What if sancho hands in a transfer request. What if he’s not actually happy here. What if we’ve actually learned a thing or too about efficiency in the transfer market over the last few years. That’s too many what ifs for my liking.

most likely scenario we don’t get him. Why didn’t we just pay up while we had the chance.
on Ebay do you always pay the "buy it now" price, or do you place a lower offer first?

red thru&thru

Or, you can use common sense and use history to gain some real perspective. Hard factual evidence isn't always correct.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think it happens this summer anymore. We delayed too long for whatever reason, only way it happens now is if he pushes to leave with a transfer request. Don't really see him doing that as he can just leave next year, more options for him, he's still in the champions league either way and will have a full year with Haaland now giving them a better chance for success. I think he did want to join, just isn't going to force a move if we can't agree a fee.

Shit for us but surely something we should have sorted out ages ago rather than waste our time with it.

Ali Dia

Have you ever bought something that doesn't have a sticker price? where you can negotiate with the seller? if the seller does not want to sell, he/she would just close the shop or tell you that it's not for sale once and that's it. Not walking around your house everyday with the item shouting "This item is not for sale! but would you look at it? look! we have it!! and we're going to allocate more money and care for it! do you hear me! not for sale!" when they know that you were interested in it but didn't meet his/her price expectation. They want attention from United. This is a strategy to make sure they won't have to reduce the price if Sancho leaves. As long as the window is still open, there's still a chance.
doesn’t happen unless he hands in a transfer request now which he won’t.

Stretender

The problem with your argument is that you are concerned about looking efficient in transfer market, winning PR war against some loudmouths from Dortmund, signing players quickly and paying the seller anything they demand. That's not how real life works is it? You don't know what United are doing in terms of their bid plans and targets because no club will give you that information. It's all speculation at the moment but the key issue here is that today is August 14th and the transfer window closes on October 5. Have patience.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Some vague stuff in The Mirror, probably shit sources. It says 'according to reports'.

Very misleading tweet.

This is from the same article:

The England international is keen on joining Manchester United, and speculation emerged the 20-year-old could hand in a transfer request to force a move. But according to German publication BILD, Sancho has opted against doing this.

He instead intends to show the club the same commitment he did last season, and respects the decision of club chiefs to retain him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Very misleading tweet.

This is from the same article:

The England international is keen on joining Manchester United, and speculation emerged the 20-year-old could hand in a transfer request to force a move. But according to German publication BILD, Sancho has opted against doing this.

He instead intends to show the club the same commitment he did last season, and respects the decision of club chiefs to retain him.
Last summer it was said Maguire needed to hand in a transfer request. He of course did not and Rodgers came out and said he wasnt leaving since it was too late to get a replacement. We all know what happened after

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I don't think it happens this summer anymore. We delayed too long for whatever reason, only way it happens now is if he pushes to leave with a transfer request. Don't really see him doing that as he can just leave next year, more options for him, he's still in the champions league either way and will have a full year with Haaland now giving them a better chance for success. I think he did want to join, just isn't going to force a move if we can't agree a fee.

Shit for us but surely something we should have sorted out ages ago rather than waste our time with it.
It looks much less likely than it did earlier, I agree. But I still think it's too early to call it off completely. Three objective things haven't happened - Sancho himself hasn't said that he's happy to stay there, United's mouthpieces haven't come out to say we're withdrawing interest and there has been no bid so far (not matter how much) with more than a month of the window left.

That, given by subjective beliefs like how United have approached transfers under Ole and how many crucial boxes a transfer like this ticks off - leads me to believe this saga is yet to run its course. I would like to take Dortmund's statements with a pinch of salt - they've played all these cards before and their finances make it very clear that they could use the money right now if we actually met their asking price. I would also like to take statements on United's finances with a pinch of salt, too - we have been badly hit as well but it is clear that we can find the money if we really had to.

We may have to offload a couple of players soon and it is possible that we're waiting till our EL campaign is over - but it's not over yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.