Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
How good is this guy then? He’s got good stats but so did Mkhitaryan and Kagawa. I suppose the major positive is that he fits into English football more than those 2.
Sancho isn’t just about stats. If that’s all you think about him then you don’t know him at all.

SteveW

Account details

I think alot of fans are downplaying the potential influence Sancho could have here if he hits the ground running. If he performs he'll outshine all of Rashford and Martial (I won't include Greenwood as I guess we are still assessing the ceiling of his talent). We will have one of the best midfields in the league then a very potent front three. When is the last time we also had a consistent right side winger, not probably since prime Valencia was feeding Rooney his dinner for goals throughout the 2010 season.
It's normal to be cautious I guess but yes, he would take us up a level. Having 4 top class players for the 3 positions will allow us to have a top class front 3 on the pitch at almost all times with another lethal attacker ready to come on in the second half of games. There will be competition and the ability to rotate to keep everyone fresh.

I expect him to play a lot of games on the left as well as the right. Had he been here he'd most likely have played the last couple of games there as Rashford looked a bit tired. He's a phenomenal player and will have a great influence on the other 3 as they strive to match his precision and decision making in the final 3rd. It will give everyone a lift.

I think the last few years have led to people not letting themselves get as excited about the team as they used to. But this is a truly exciting time. It's a bit like Rooney and Ronaldo coming through but there's 4 of them instead of 2. And we have 2 absolute elite creators behind them to provide the supply. And they're all young players. Should this transfer happen we are in for a few years of absolutely stunning football.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Haaland next summer for his rumoured release clause if he continues on the same trajectory and then leave Dortmund alone for a few years while Bellingham matures. What a transfer strategy! To be fair it’s as close to foolproof as possible if you can afford it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Sancho isn’t just about stats. If that’s all you think about him then you don’t know him at all.
Ye wha? Read my post again. I suppose that’s something of an answer. He looks a good dribbler etc.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How good is this guy then? He’s got good stats but so did Mkhitaryan and Kagawa. I suppose the major positive is that he fits into English football more than those 2.
He's numerous tiers above them as a footballer. If we do sign him you will be pleasantly surprised.

treble_winner

Haaland next summer for his rumoured release clause if he continues on the same trajectory and then leave Dortmund alone for a few years while Bellingham matures. What a transfer strategy! To be fair it’s as close to foolproof as possible if you can afford it.
You make it sounds like Dortmund is our feeder club and they would give over their star players easily. Dortmund is Bayern's feeder club, not us. I think Haaland is destined to be Bayern's Lewandowski replacement in the long run.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Castles also reporting the similar details as what Daniel Harris did earlier this week.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Seriously with Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Greenwood, its still possible to keep them all happy sharing around 40 games per season, which would be their least expectation as they are all young and hungry and with insane talent. But with addition of Haaland, I don't think we could keep them all happy, it would have adverse effect to the team morale, its just like when we signed Lukaku and Sanchez, and force Rashford and Martial on the bench. Not good at all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Castles also reporting the similar details as what Daniel Harris did earlier this week.

I seriously doubt Dortmund would entertain the idea for selling their best assets for that amount. Yes its a bad covid19 market and most clubs are out of cash, but would you sell your best stocks cheaply during bear market when price is in all time low? or would you hold on for a year and sell it in bull market instead? It all depends whether Dortmund is in financial trouble and need to sell in order to survive. If not, I'd definitely not sell cheap, if I were them.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Seriously with Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Greenwood, its still possible to keep them all happy sharing around 40 games per season, which would be their least expectation as they are all young and hungry and with insane talent. But with addition of Haaland, I don't think we could keep them all happy, it would have adverse effect to the team morale, its just like when we signed Lukaku and Sanchez, and force Rashford and Martial on the bench. Not good at all.
I hear you but all I’ll say is let’s see how we are doing this time next year and also how haaland is doing. I think he could be devastating in the PL, we also may not want one of our direct rivals to get him. I think we will definitely need an aggressive box striker again once Ighalo heads off. I reckon Ole knows competition breeds success and as he keeps saying if you can’t handle it you’re at the wrong club. Music to my ears. Let the cream rise to the top. If martial goes and totally smashes it again next season and we don’t sign haaland then that’s also fine with me but an injury or loss of form to martial and we are back to square one as far as strikers go and we will look foolish if haaland is banging them in for a rival at that time. Rotation/Options aren’t a bad thing.

Last edited:

gajender

I think deal would be done for around €120m with 60-70 m upfront another 30m in easily achievable clauses like appearances and goals scored and rest for Clauses like league ,Champions league win and Ballon d'Or top 3 or something like that both parties should be happy with that.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Cheers. Wow his style is very similar to Hazard; and love that he looks up and is aware of his teammates when passing/crossing.

If he adapts to the PL, we will have one tasty attack.
We have some pretty fast players so with his Hazard style of play, wouldn't negate the speedsters advantages upfront? He does like to hold on to the ball a bit longer than necessary if the Rashfords/Martials are making their runs especially in our counter-attacks. I can see the switching between Bruno and Sancho in the #10 position and creating passes/assist for our low block scenarios.

Last edited:

sglowrider

40 games? The league's 38. Then what about the cup matches? A normal season would entail nearly 60 matches if we are successful.

SteveW

I agree to be honest. I think Erling has possibly missed his chance of being part of what's going to be a really exciting team for the next few years. Hope the extra payday for his agent and dad was worth it.

Martial is stepping up and looking like he may become the world class centre forward he always had the potential to be. Greenwood will probably move up front whenever he needs a rest or gets an injury. 4 potentially world class players for 3 positions can comfortably work but I'm not sure 5 can. It may become tempting though considering Haaland's release clause is so low. He will really need to show himself to be worth it over the next season or two because chances are our attack will be very well established and bedded in by then by then.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ahh we have reached the stage where bitter fans of the club our target is coming from have started to meltdown in the transfer thread.

It's happening soon lads :drool:
Like clockwork :lol:

I swear this never used to happen during our transfer sagas but it's so common now!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I seriously doubt Dortmund would entertain the idea for selling their best assets for that amount. Yes its a bad covid19 market and most clubs are out of cash, but would you sell your best stocks cheaply during bear market when price is in all time low? or would you hold on for a year and sell it in bull market instead? It all depends whether Dortmund is in financial trouble and need to sell in order to survive. If not, I'd definitely not sell cheap, if I were them.
I don't think they will either. But it seems the €60m up front fee might do it with another €60m in add ons/ instalments which was first reported by Daniel Harris.

So I'm thinking €60m upfront with a further €40m in instalments and €20m add ons.

SAFMUTD

That would be a bargain price, somehow I think we'll end up with something around 60M with 40M in bonuses from which 20M will be pretty much automatic.

POF

But how long will the bear market last? There's also a major difference in football where those assets expire.

Next summer, Sancho will have one year left on his contract. After another season of no crowds or even further suspension of competition, they could be looking at a significantly lower fee.

€80m in this market is a pretty good deal.

I have no doubt that United will get utterly fleeced though. They've got to be smarter in how they acquire players. The "pay whatever it takes" strategy is completely unsustainable.

dabeast

Our attack loves 17. This season Sancho scored 17 goals and 17 assists, Mason scored 17 goals, Martial and Marcus scored 17 PL goals.

sglowrider

I agree to be honest. I think Erling has possibly missed his chance of being part of what's going to be a really exciting team for the next few years. Hope the extra payday for his agent and dad was worth it.

Martial is stepping up and looking like he may become the world class centre forward he always had the potential to be. Greenwood will probably move up front whenever he needs a rest or gets an injury. 4 potentially world class players for 3 positions can comfortably work but I'm not sure 5 can. It may become tempting though considering Haaland's release clause is so low. He will really need to show himself to be worth it over the next season or two because chances are our attack will be very well established and bedded in by then by then.
I can see Sancho taking over Bruno's central role when he needs a rest or plays on the RW if Bruno was playing, interchanging with Bruno on the right side of the field. Just like how Martial and Rashford interchange positions.

DannyDee

But how long will the bear market last? There's also a major difference in football where those assets expire.

Next summer, Sancho will have one year left on his contract. After another season of no crowds or even further suspension of competition, they could be looking at a significantly lower fee.

€80m in this market is a pretty good deal.

I have no doubt that United will get utterly fleeced though. They've got to be smarter in how they acquire players. The "pay whatever it takes" strategy is completely unsustainable.
Look at what Dembele and what Felix went for just last year (I'll avoid using the Mbappe transfer, I'll say he is the absolute top tier of young talent in recent years). We are getting a bit of a discount even at 120m given usual inflation. If it is another season without crowds, and we aren't expecting to see crowds return in the foreseeable future (hopefully, something that doesn't happen). United will be arguably the best-positioned club in the world due to our commercial revenue as long as we perform and get good performance money from CL and League play, and we will capitalize on it then.

It will be interesting to see other deals in this market. If we do get fleeced, I just open it is early in the window, and not us wasting time and paying up before the first game of the season.

The United

Now I don't actually know if our club can effort talents like Sancho or/and Haaland within two or three windows since we have other positions to fix. But, Ole actually talked about this a few weeks ago. At United, you will be competing for attacking positions more so than anywhere else. He used examples of how SAF kept bringing best attackers while he was there.

Lukaku and Sanchez were bad deals and didn't suit the way we wanted United to play. Having young and up coming attacking talents competing for spots and being able to use them whenever we need fresh legs during the games would be like back to how United played during SAF era.

georgipep

Jersey sales/merchandise don't balance things out. I'll say this, I bought a game-issue style United Jersey for the 2017/18 season, and got it crested as Pogba. Now, even if we didn't get Pogba, I'm still probably buying a new jersey as the two previous jersey's I had, had left the club (Rooney and Scholes). If I remember correctly, I was down to Martial, Pogba and Lukaku. Players rarely increase jersey sales, they just tend to chance who you get a jersey of. I heard that was what happened with our purchases of Kagawa in Japan and Park in Korea.
A player's value as asset is a complex thing but you can be absolutely certain that commercial revenue is part of that equation and a player who brings attention is much more valuable to the club than a relative unknown, thus the club would spend considerably more on such player.

POF

Look at what Dembele and what Felix went for just last year (I'll avoid using the Mbappe transfer, I'll say he is the absolute top tier of young talent in recent years). We are getting a bit of a discount even at 120m given usual inflation. If it is another season without crowds, and we aren't expecting to see crowds return in the foreseeable future (hopefully, something that doesn't happen). United will be arguably the best-positioned club in the world due to our commercial revenue as long as we perform and get good performance money from CL and League play, and we will capitalize on it then.

It will be interesting to see other deals in this market. If we do get fleeced, I just open it is early in the window, and not us wasting time and paying up before the first game of the season.
When a team that won the EPL in a landslide and are the reigning World and European champions couldn't afford €50m for Timo Werner and were looking at furloughing "normal staff", you have to assume it's a different market to last season.

Real Madrid seem to be baulking at the fee for Donny Van De Beek also.

Let's see how this market goes. I'm really interested to see how much transfer fees are impacted this summer. Top clubs like Real and Barca seem to be struggling financially.

Are Dortmund pushing this August 10 deadline because they fear the market will tank and need to get him out before that becomes obvious?

The likes of City and PSG can still spend whatever they want. Chelsea obviously have plenty of funds too. But it will be interesting to see how "normal" teams will cope.

SteveW

I can see Sancho taking over Bruno's central role when he needs a rest or plays on the RW if Bruno was playing, interchanging with Bruno on the right side of the field. Just like how Martial and Rashford interchange positions.
I've been thinking about this as a possibility if we fail to sign another midfielder this summer. He can definitely play there and actually has a few times for Dortmund with pretty good effect. Ideally he's on either wing but if he was to play there maybe 10 times over the season to rest Bruno I think it would work really well. He has all the necessary attributes. And Bruno basically never gets injured so chances are it wouldn't need to happen in any of the big games.

DannyDee

When a team that won the EPL in a landslide and are the reigning World and European champions couldn't afford €50m for Timo Werner and were looking at furloughing "normal staff", you have to assume it's a different market to last season.

Let's see how this market goes. I'm really interested to see how much transfer fees are impacted this summer. Top clubs like Real and Barca seem to be struggling financially.

Are Dortmund pushing this August 10 deadline because they fear the market will tank and need to get him out before that becomes obvious?

The likes of City and PSG can still spend whatever they want. Chelsea obviously have plenty of funds too. But it will be interesting to see how "normal" teams will cope.
The Osiman transfer which was not to a loaded owner has me intrigued on what the market actually is. I do think there is limited money in the market, but I feel it may just lead to fewer big transfers this season to teams that don't involve us, City, Chelsea, and PSG. Teams may hold, even if now if the traditional time to sell guys with 2 years left hoping that the market will recover in 2021. It will be interesting to see what happens. It will be interesting to see what happens.

sglowrider

I've been thinking about this as a possibility if we fail to sign another midfielder this summer. He can definitely play there and actually has a few times for Dortmund with pretty good effect. Ideally he's on either wing but if he was to play there maybe 10 times over the season to rest Bruno I think it would work really well. He has all the necessary attributes. And Bruno basically never gets injured so chances are it wouldn't need to happen in any of the big games.
I think this Ole's next level-interchangeable front-line or front five. Positionless.

I don’t believe individual transfer fees will be impacted, but the number of transactions will be a lot lower, and there will be a lot less churn of players this summer.

swedishgloryhunter

The great thing is that bruno can play on a wing aswell if things needs to be shaken up. Saw a few times in the last games him going out wide instead of the middle due to opposing midfield sitting on him. Maybe Ole is planning for a 4man interchanging attack.

DannyDee

A player's value as asset is a complex thing but you can be absolutely certain that commercial revenue is part of that equation and a player who brings attention is much more valuable to the club than a relative unknown, thus the club would spend considerably more on such player.
Jersey sales are a very limited part of that picture. At the end of the day, your teams commercial appeal will be good, as long as you are winning and capitalizing on it with the business side of your organization. I doubt anyone player makes any massive difference to our overall jersey sales, winning and the team doing well probably does more for that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It's different numbers isn't it, Daniel Harris said 120 million (60 million upfront and 60 million in installments) whereas Duncan is saying 60 million upfront and 20 million add ons.

So Daniel Harris is saying 120 million guaranteed fee whereas Duncan is saying 60 million is guaranteed fee.

Also what Duncan is reporting looks too good to be true, Daniel Harris numbers are more believable.

SteveW

I think this Ole's next level-interchangeable front-line or front five. Positionless.
I wouldn't say positionless exactly. Rashford will play mostly LW. Martial mostly striker. Greenwood will switch between RW and striker. And Sancho can basically play anywhere in the 3 behind the striker but will be mostly on the wings.

There's plenty of flexibility. We would always have 2 top class options for each of the positions which is ideal for rotation.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's different numbers isn't it, Daniel Harris said 120 million (60 million upfront and 60 million in installments) whereas Duncan is saying 60 million upfront and 20 million add ons.

So Daniel Harris is saying 120 million guaranteed fee whereas Duncan is saying 60 million is guaranteed fee.

Also what Duncan is reporting looks too good to be true, Daniel Harris numbers are more believable.
Similarity in the upfront fee..

SteveW

The great thing is that bruno can play on a wing aswell if things needs to be shaken up. Saw a few times in the last games him going out wide instead of the middle due to opposing midfield sitting on him. Maybe Ole is planning for a 4man interchanging attack.
Yeah Bruno gets a pretty free role to find space and he actually has a really good delivery from wide areas. I don't see him actually playing as a proper winger and chasing fullbacks up and down but he can definitely drift out for space and to create overloads etc. He's technically sound and energetic enough to go pretty much anywhere on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.