Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungrywing

Not sure about that: Sancho's greatest attribute (imo), beyond his skills and technical ability is how quickly he sees the pitch, reads and reacts to the opposition and his team-mates and pings off them like he's sending sonar - as long as he's interacting with players who have good-excellent one and two touch themselves and a quick enough mind to see the potential of the play that can unfold, Sancho and whoever it is won't get in each other's way, but will instead use each other as foils and dummies.

I'm expecting Fernandes to be in his element pinging balls into, and receiving balls, from Sancho. Same goes for Martial.

It's just imperative they get a good pre-season in to iron out the kinks and get a feel for each other's movements and preferences.
God help the league if they click during pre-season.

At the very least, it's going to be nice having three players up front who at any given time will need double-teaming.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Not sure about that: Sancho's greatest attribute (imo), beyond his skills and technical ability is how quickly he sees the pitch, reads and reacts to the opposition and his team-mates and pings off them like he's sending sonar - as long as he's interacting with players who have good-excellent one and two touch themselves and a quick enough mind to see the potential of the play that can unfold, Sancho and whoever it is won't get in each other's way, but will instead use each other as foils and dummies.

I'm expecting Fernandes to be in his element pinging balls into, and receiving balls, from Sancho. Same goes for Martial.

It's just imperative they get a good pre-season in to iron out the kinks and get a feel for each other's movements and preferences.
It's what you can expect yes but it's not such an easy result to achieve because some players have a hard time reshaping there role. Lets hope it works, because Sancho is an amazing signing for Man Utd.

Revan

Assumptionman
42 combinations. If the defenders were Jones, Smalling, Lindelöf, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Rojo, Blind: :p

Jones Smalling
Jones Lindelöf
Jones Bailly
Jones Tuanzebe
Jones Rojo
Jones Blind

Smalling Jones
Smalling Lindelöf
Smalling Bailly
Smalling Tuanzebe
Smalling Rojo
Smalling Blind

Lindelöf Jones
Lindelöf Smalling
Lindelöf Bailly
Lindelöf Tuanzebe
Lindelöf Rojo
Lindelöf Blind

Bailly Jones
Bailly Smalling
Bailly Lindelöf
Bailly Tuanzebe
Bailly Rojo
Bailly Blind

Tuanzebe Jones
Tuanzebe Smalling
Tuanzebe Bailly
Tuanzebe Lindelöf
Tuanzebe Rojo
Tuanzebe Blind

Rojo Jones
Rojo Smalling
Rojo Bailly
Rojo Lindelof
Rojo Tuanzebe
Rojo Blind

Blind Jones
Blind Smalling
Blind Bailly
Blind Lindelof
Blind Tuanzebe
Blind Rojo
Dude, you need a course in math. Could have been much easier. :)

How many combinations of three players can you choose from 4 players? 4 * 3 * 2 = 24
How many combinations of two players can you choose from 7 players? 7 * 6 = 42

Math!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

At the very least, it's going to be nice having three players up front who at any given time will need double-teaming.
You have to think Pogba and Bruno are going to be in their element with all the space they'll have to play in with the distraction and movement ahead of them. It's very exciting.
It's what you can expect yes but it's not such an easy result to achieve because some players have a hard time reshaping there role. Lets hope it works, because Sancho is an amazing signing for Man Utd.
Bruno roams all over though: he's not static or rigid in how he plays the role like a Riquelme or Valeron or even a Deco - he'll go wide; he'll drive into the box; he'll come deep; he'll move laterally, so there's plenty of room for both of them to operate in. His combination play is also always begging for someone to bounce off of, cue Sancho and his game, which is like manna for the Portuguese.

For me, the only concern is Bissaka not being up to it, but the rest of our attack, he should be superfluous with as he's not stepping on any toes whilst being a conduit for others to do considerably better next season than this. Numbers should be going up for the whole unit, imo.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

We don't really get a pre-season though, do we? Season starts a few weeks after the EL finishes.

hobbers

Rashford will have to watch out, he's probably the most in danger of losing his place compared with Martial and Greenwood based on post-lockdown performances.

I’m glad I had these bookmarked

So then, what happened here? :lol::lol::lol:
We qualified for the CL.

To be fair it didn't exactly look like we were qualifying back in Feb, and this deal was definitely dependent on it.

Gazza

I agree far more with the comparison with Hazard than Ribery/Robben. Which makes me think it's going to be a really tricky job for OGS in order to find a place for both Sancho and Bruno if he signs. Sancho carries the ball a lot and so does Bruno, it's going to be hard for them not to bump into each other, especially because Sancho likes to go from left to right and grab the ball 35m from the opponent's goal.
Didn’t Sancho play more games starting from the right than the left last season?

Chief123

Didn’t Sancho play more games starting from the right than the left last season?
Virtually all of Sanchos games were from the right wing. He played occasionaly from the left wing. OGS will have absolutely no problem fitting them all in.

It's probably one of the rarest times in history where a team has 4 forwards who can all play in any of the attacking positions. You can't get more fluid than that!

hungrywing

You have to think Pogba and Bruno are going to be in their element with all the space they'll have to play in with the distraction and movement ahead of them. It's very exciting.
Yep. Looking forward to seeing how they'll go about adjusting their games.

They both have the ability to penetrate into the box and draw defenders and create openings on literally every possession. As long as they don't try to defer to the other and just let it happen naturally it's going to be really fun to watch.

We don't really get a pre-season though, do we? Season starts a few weeks after the EL finishes.
Heh. That's the point! We get like a tissue-paper scrap of a pre-season.

Imagine though if fortitude's hope comes true and everyone clicks straight away. Post-Bruno/Pre-Sancho we were on 85-point pace. A chunk of that without Pogba, too.

0le

Dude, you need a course in math. Could have been much easier. :)

How many combinations of three players can you choose from 4 players? 4 * 3 * 2 = 24
How many combinations of two players can you choose from 7 players? 7 * 6 = 42

Math!
Yeah, I have been studying counting from a book during lockdown (ref), I knew the number of combinations but I wanted to list them out :).

NYAS

Crazy that we're on the verge of landing a player who can elevate our entire attack and force a higher level of technical football out of literally all of them, and there's people in here that are poo-pooing the signing.

Is this hipsterism at its worst or are there posters with legitimate concerns about someone has earned the right to be classed in the highest tier of wingers currently active in the game?

There isn't a bigger name or higher touted talent United could buy at this current juncture, because above Sancho, you're talking about Neymar, Mbappe, Messi and Mane. Are people processing this and still not wanting the player?
Far too generous; the only one out of those 4 I would even consider taking instead of Sancho is Mbappe. Those two are the only young players who I’d put on the highest tier at the moment, with the tier just below them containing Haaland, Greenwood, Vinicius and Ansu Fati (I’m not saying they necessarily have less talent than the top 2, but any of these 4 could elevate themselves into that top tier with another season or two of proof and consistency).

Sancho’s combination of current ability, potential, output, age and nationality, as well as our needs on the right of our attack makes him the most perfect signing we could make. I personally couldn’t even make up in my mind a more suitable player to sign.

croadyman

That’s the thing, with this signing it gives us a lot more cover along the front line. Martial gets injured, Mason comes in. Rashford gets injured, Martial can move to the left, Mason can go up front. Sancho can even move to the left, Martial can stay up front and Mason will go to the right. It’s ideal.

I’m hoping we sign another player in MF (VDB or Grealish, understand Grealish is off limits) and a CB. But if this signing restricts us to only one of the two, I’m happy, I’d rather have Sancho.

Agreed, we are building a solid foundation and team with a vision for the type of player we want. In total, we’re 5 players off having a great squad IMO (4 after Sancho). If it takes another two windows to get there, so be it. Let’s have a little patience.
I genuinely don't think that Grealish is off limits,yes I will admit it looks a difficult one but still expect us to go in for him later this window.

croadyman

That’s the thing, with this signing it gives us a lot more cover along the front line. Martial gets injured, Mason comes in. Rashford gets injured, Martial can move to the left, Mason can go up front. Sancho can even move to the left, Martial can stay up front and Mason will go to the right. It’s ideal.

I’m hoping we sign another player in MF (VDB or Grealish, understand Grealish is off limits) and a CB. But if this signing restricts us to only one of the two, I’m happy, I’d rather have Sancho.

Agreed, we are building a solid foundation and team with a vision for the type of player we want. In total, we’re 5 players off having a great squad IMO (4 after Sancho). If it takes another two windows to get there, so be it. Let’s have a little patience.
Yeah after Sancho would say we need to bring in a CB, DM, AM, & LB over next two summer windows. You could also make a case for Haaland when his release clause activates.

ReallyUSA

Yeah after Sancho would say we need to bring in a CB, DM, AM, & LB over next two summer windows. You could also make a case for Haaland when his release clause activates.
We simply don't have room for Haaland.

Suedesi

I must say that Ole's vision in terms of recruitment has been quite refreshing to see compared to our previous recruitment
He certainly knows what he's doing attacking wise. We play much better than during Moyes' LVG's or Mourinho's eras.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
I beleive everyone fit Dortmund play

----------------------- Haaland-------------------

-----Reus ----------- Brandt --------------Sancho

But they are interchangable, sometimes Brandt pops up on the Right, Sancho on the left and Reus goes into the striker position in a 4-4-2 or Raphael Guerrero covers the left flank at times

3KDré

I beleive everyone fit Dortmund play

----------------------- Haaland-------------------

-----Reus ----------- Brandt --------------Sancho

But they are interchangable, sometimes Brandt pops up on the Right, Sancho on the left and Reus goes into the striker position in a 4-4-2 or Raphael Guerrero covers the left flank at times
We seem to have our forwards switch around quite often now too. Just imagine being a right back and in the same game and you’re going to have to deal with Rashford, Martial and Sancho. All three with different ways to beat you:drool:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If Martial is not the long term 9, Mason will be.
I’m starting to think that Mason’s best role might be a Ronaldo when he was at United or Bale when he was at Spurs. He can do so much damage all over the attacking third that it sort of feels wasted to contain him to one position instead of giving him a free reign as he gets better.

Bondi77

If we do SIGN him by the end of the week or start of next week I would assume he would be eligible for Europa much like Bruno is?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Rashford Martial Sancho as our main attack next season, with Greenwood as backup :drool:

If Greenwood keep developing well in few months/years time, we may even see this as our first choice:
Rashford Greenwood Sancho
or
Sancho Martial Greenwood

Current priority: Sancho>Martial=Rashford>Greenwood?
Future priority: Sancho=Greenwood>Martial=Rashford?

croadyman

If we do SIGN him by the end of the week or start of next week I would assume he would be eligible for Europa much like Bruno is?
Unfortunately the registration for Europa League knockout stages was back in Jan

DarkLord

Dortmund rinsing us again. £100 million is a fair fee for Sancho but you can bet if it was Bayern Munich, they would have sold for one third of the price. Annoyed we keep having to pay excess sum when other clubs could get it so cheap.

SteveW

There's no reason not to pay the 120m if its spread out sufficiently. Our squad is so young that once we get another 3 or 4 good players in we shouldn't need huge windows from next season onwards. We may not need really to sign another forward for the best part of a decade if all goes to plan. We could get 12 years out of him. 10m a year for a superstar is a no brainer.
Dortmund rinsing us again. £100 million is a fair fee for Sancho but you can bet if it was Bayern Munich, they would have sold for one third of the price. Annoyed we keep having to pay excess sum when other clubs could get it so cheap.
You think they'd have sold to Bayern for 35m?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's 20. We'll get a decade out of him. This will look very cheap in a few years.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
just to add to the tweet. It's also reported within the article that a deal is close due to Dortmund now accepting instalments as part of the fee which wasn't the case before due to Dortmund wanting the €120m in one lump sum.

Leethal

It's no secret to the entire footballing world that Manchester United is a money making juggernaut. Remember Dortmund rinsed Barca with Dembele, too, knowing full well their money making capacity. They're well aware of the United world-wide muppetry that will come with Sancho, and the shirt sales, etc.

I don't blame them for trying to rinse us. As much as we hate it, football is a business.

Sad Chris

Yes, Bayern would get him cheaper but the Bundesliga is paying the ultimate price. They have been protecting Bayern‘s status by preventing investors from the outside. We‘d have the same situation and would be celebrating our 30th league title if the PL had the same restrictions.

As sad as it is that we don’t dominate the league like Bayern it‘ll taste so good when we finally win it again. It‘ll be something we needed to work hard for.

On top of that, all the people complaining about Woodward and co should think about why we are one of the few clubs that are financially able to pull off transfers like this in times like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.