Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Can someone please explain to me how can he go on strike when there is no offer made for him? Totally illogical.

This is tweets for clicks and nothing less.
Yeah this is maybe his way of saying give me a decision to make but knowing our board they won't take the hint

Posh Red

Haven't been following the reports on those players but if that's true and the article is reliable (seems legit to me), then I have no idea. Thought that those players may be on wages so huge that no club on their current level would be able to pay that. I even opened a thread about this problem in the football forum a few weeks ago. I think salary-wise top clubs have distanced themselves so much from the rest of the bunch that regressing top players earn so much that they become almost impossible to sign for second and third tier clubs, which leads to them letting their contract run out instead of signing for clubs that could offer them more game time. Besides you, Barcelona, Madrid and Arsenal seem to be in similar situations, albeit not to the same extent.
Of course the article seems legit to you :lol:

romufc

I thought Dortmund aren’t selling him anymore after their imaginary deadline? Why does Sancho even need to tell them those things last week?
Its bullshit. Fabrizio knows if there is no hope for Sancho, his United following will drop, keep them going for longer, more hits. Its simple.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Wonder how many of us are left who never questioned this will still happen compared to all you negative nancies who hang on the lips of every so called journo or ITK s tweet like while spiraling into depression.

Even if it doesn't happen - isnt it more fun to think it still could? Cheer up. Enough shit in todays world to get down in the dumps about.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
absolutely - The UK, more specifically England is going to get hammered by the second wave far more than European nations - we will be in a bigger, longer second wave so should have secured sancho as an asset rather than just burnt through existing capital. With bigger assets and larger merchandising revenue we could have leveraged larger amounts of capital to tide us over for longer.
:lol:

Three of us round the office just laughing at this post, tears in our eyes. Cheers for that. :lol:

SATA

Its bullshit. Fabrizio knows if there is no hope for Sancho, his United following will drop, keep them going for longer, more hits. Its simple.
Yeah mate. There is nothing left out of this saga to squeeze anymore. If anything, things will only kick off again in the final week of the window

ShinjiNinja26

On the contrary, I think he wouldn’t have told them he would be happy to move if there was no chance. To me it means BVB would sell him is we pay up.
The problem is we aren’t willing to pay up, certainly not the €120m their looking for. So the only way this happens now is if Sancho kicks up a fuss and twists Dortmund’s arm into selling him for cheaper.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Right, but the wages Sancho would be on aren't exorbitantly high. Just looking it up the EBITDA in the 2019 SEC filing was £180m – that's a lot of leeway over the £65m, and £10m on Sancho's wages, when we've lost Sanchez's ~£15m and we know we have Lingard, Rojo and Mata in the last year of their contracts doesn't seem like a viable financial explanation for why it isn't possible.

As I said, I'm sure there are financial constraints. I just don't think this article has found the smoking gun it implies it has.
Makes sense. Just out of of curiosity, I don't really have any profound background knowledge regarding United's finances, but I've read in here that you are currently "losing" 5m in revenue per home game. Sure, they'll also save variable costs but surely this will affect the EBITDA drastically, maybe even to an extent that would equal the difference between those 65m and 180m of 2019? Maybe it's really the case that you're operating very closely to the this seemingly very important 65m pound border?

FreddieTheReddie

The problem is we aren’t willing to pay up, certainly not the €120m their looking for. So the only way this happens now is if Sancho kicks up a fuss and twists Dortmund’s arm into selling him for cheaper.
How do you know that? Of course we won’t say “we want Sancho for 90mm but if it’s not ok for you mr Zorc, we will pay the full price in the end”. We don’t know how much United would pay, only very few people know that.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
It's been mentioned a few times, but I find it odd that Sancho is "hellbent on joining United" and personal terms agreed, but he's refusing to put in a transfer fee for it.
I understand he gets less money but clearly these stories that he wants to join as much as he does clearly isn't the case.

He'd help out big time if he just put in a transfer request. Heck, it may even help with negotiations because Dortmund wouldn't be keen to keep a player who's publically announced he wishes to leave.

Maybe I'm thinking too simply.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
It's been mentioned a few times, but I find it odd that Sancho is "hellbent on joining United" and personal terms agreed, but he's refusing to put in a transfer fee for it.
I understand he gets less money but clearly these stories that he wants to join as much as he does clearly isn't the case.

He'd help out big time if he just put in a transfer request. Heck, it may even help with negotiations because Dortmund wouldn't be keen to keep a player who's publically announced he wishes to leave.

Maybe I'm thinking too simply.
Probably because he's seen what we are like in the transfer market. If he sticks his neck out on the line and then we balls it up he makes himself look like an idiot. Would you put in a transfer request if it was Woodward & Co coming in for you? I I wouldn't.

Banana Republic

..... that's a lot of leeway over the £65m, and £10m on Sancho's wages, when we've lost Sanchez's ~£15m and we know we have Lingard, Rojo and Mata in the last year of their contracts......
Sanchez's wage bill may have ended, but I thought we had to pay a significant amount to terminate his contract. IIRC press reports said something like £9m.
I assume that'll be on the accounts for the current FY.

I can't see how we can end Rojo's reported £4.16m annual wage bill (£80,000 pw) , as nobody will sign him on anything close to that figure; maybe not even half that?
Jones has 3 more years left on his contract (£4m pa ?) and is going nowhere.

Worst still, Utd are said to be talking about a new contract for Lingard, at the same time as noises were coming out of OT to suggest we'd be moving him on
Left and Right hand?

Last edited:

Gasolin

Makes sense. Just out of of curiosity, I don't really have any profound background knowledge regarding United's finances, but I've read in here that you are currently "losing" 5m in revenue per home game. Sure, they'll also save variable costs but surely this will affect the EBITDA drastically, maybe even to an extent that would equal the difference between those 65m and 180m of 2019? Maybe it's really the case that you're operating very closely to the this seemingly very important 65m pound border?
I thought the 5m EUR loss is that BVB disclosed for their home games? Surely we are losing money too. We just don't know the magnitude.

Gasolin

How do you exactly offer someone. Do they get delivered to Ed's office in a bowtie.
Probably some agents sending an email or calling us and telling us "this kind of transfer might be possible". And here we go, we got offered someone!

Mihai

This is very much Utd style. Spunk all the money on a big name and leave other areas of the squad weak. We will get Sancho and we will pay every euro Dortmund want. That’s what we do.

Rather spend all the money on someone like Sancho, than buy a bunch of mediocre players who need replaced in a year or 2.

ShinjiNinja26

How do you know that? Of course we won’t say “we want Sancho for 90mm but if it’s not ok for you mr Zorc, we will pay the full price in the end”. We don’t know how much United would pay, only very few people know that.
We know that because Dortmund have repeatedly said from day one that the price for Sancho is €120m and it’s non negotiable. They don’t need to sell and have already started their season, plus Sancho himself seems content to stay there another year. The fact United are supposedly still in talks at this stage despite him being our no.1 target for over a year now tells me they’re still trying to haggle Dortmund down which so far is proving futile.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Rather spend all the money on someone like Sancho, than buy a bunch of mediocre players who need replaced in a year or 2.
I absolutely agree with getting the right players in even if that means the whole process of Solskjaer's rebuild takes longer.
Sancho could well be a world beater and take United to another level, I would prefer him, to three stop gaps in the squad.

As I've said before, I believe that we were only targeting two positions this Summer, I've always felt that, because there has been no credible news about other targets.
It's always been Grealish & Sancho this window, OK Donny became available for half the price, so that ruled out Grealish, but I don't think we have seriously considered anyone other than Sancho.

Chief123

I actually agree with spending it all on Sancho if that’s the only option. I’m just saying this is the kind of thing Utd would do which is why I’m confident they will do the deal.

Ronaldo's Love Child

We've had offers for Dalot, we've had offers for Smalling, and Romero should be easy to shift, so why aren't we pushing deals along???
Because we are probably quibbling over a few million quid and until the buyer pays our asking price then the player stays with us. Nothing wrong with that if this is a player you want to keep but no excuses for using that strategy when the player is walking deadwood

Coops73

I don’t think this is going to happen and I’m sure this has probably been touted before but maybe the only way this does is that there was some sort of clause in this extension he signed (that supposedly nobody knew about) stating that if a bid of €120 comes in he can leave, United know this and are waiting till last knockings to put the bid in. :houllier:

like I said, I think this is dead but it is Intriguing how so many are hanging onto this for their dear life.

bsCallout

Buddy-I am struggling to understand how our scouting works at all!

A sensible approach would be to identify a primary target for one position and then add maybe a second and third target if the 1st one is unattainable. Please someone tell me what our second and third targets are right now for RW as it so far appears as if we've gone all or nothing for Sancho.
It seems theyre all focused on 16 yo's for the academy. Fans knew about Bruno, Maguire, VDB and Sancho as good options years before Utd attempted to buy them. Let alone players we never even went for.

Bratt

New talks between Solskjær and Sancho. The norwegian has told Sancho that he thinks the transfer shoul be done soon, but some "difficult negotiations” remains.

edit: Dagbladet (the newspaper) also understands that united hopes to make two more signings before the DL, Sancho being one of them.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
New talks between Solskjær and Sancho. The norwegian has told Sancho that he thinks the transfer shoul be done soon, but some "difficult negotiations” remains.

edit: Dagbladet (the newspaper) also understands that united hopes to make two more signings before the DL, Sancho being one of them.
Has notified Sancho:
Ole Gunnar Solskjær is said to have recently had a conversation with Borussia Dortmund player Jadon Sancho. The Norwegian is said to have said that he believes that the transfer to Manchester United will soon be in the bag, Dagbladet is informed.

In previous conversations with Solskjær, Sancho is said to have expressed that he is keen on a transfer to United.

Dortmund have repeatedly announced that Sancho will remain, and United acknowledge that the transfer is difficult to get in the box. Nevertheless, the club must be optimistic that the transition will go smoothly.

Dagbladet also experiences that United - in addition to the new acquisition Donny van de Beek - hopes to sign two players before the window closes on 5 October. Sancho should be one of these.

Rolaholic

Think it's been made clear that both Ole and the player want the move by now. What's still not clear is whether the club can actually pull it off unfortunately

Also the shouts for Sancho to agitate for a move behind the scenes doesn't make much sense unless we've actually tabled a bid which all accounts claim hasn't been the case so far. It would only run the risk of making the next season quite awkward for him to make a fuss over an approach that might not even come yet.

With Dembele, he only agitated for a move after they rejected Barcelona's offers. We haven't even reached the offer stage yet seemingly

Last edited:

GoldanoGraham

Players purchases are treated as an buying an asset, not as an expense. So doesn't impact the club's debt covenants on Ebitda.
Having been involved in a company that was purchased and then loaded with debt (as Utd are), all any of the accountants (owners) cared about was EBITDA - what I also learned is that you can be extremely creative with the accounts to ensure that you never fail on any of the covenant tests - with a business like Man Utd until this pandemic there would have always been massive headroom clearance on all covenants, generates a lot of cash and has been profitable - any covenant breach would be dealt with anyway and seen in the current light - only when you’ve got a serial loss making business and investors are worried about their money would anyone take any action.....once the pandemic is over it will be business as usual....

Also - I’m sure that it would be quite easy to pitch to the investment community that this is an opportune time to invest more so that we are in an excellent position post pandemic.....

therefore, no real excuses not to invest, just not to get fleeced

Status
Not open for further replies.