Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GazTheLegend

The title still sounds strange to me

"Increasingly confident of keeping" is just a mental way to put things. If you want to keep a player you keep them. End of story.

And the thing is I know Dortmund have said he's staying but if there were no negotiations this entire story would be utterly dead, right?

Like "Sancho will be a Dortmund player in the 2020/21" season puts things absolutely to bed and you hear no more about it.

... Except we keep hearing more about it. A lot more.

Giggsy13

Poor Ole, he still believes we’re the great club he used to play for. Unfortunately it’s not going to happen, and the Glazers and Woodward will not give a flying feck throwing Ole under the bus if the team doesn’t progress this year.

The Sancho excuse train has already started. The club making it appear they’re working towards a deal. The last ditch effort is simply a show put on by Ed and Joel to pretend we’re pushing for a deal. They really do believe our supporters are that naive.

CallyRed

Tim Sherwood has some weird obsession with Jack Grealish. I wouldn't be surprised if he has offered his missus to him.

SinNombre

The title still sounds strange to me

"Increasingly confident of keeping" is just a mental way to put things. If you want to keep a player you keep them. End of story.

And the thing is I know Dortmund have said he's staying but if there were no negotiations this entire story would be utterly dead, right?

Like "Sancho will be a Dortmund player in the 2020/21" season puts things absolutely to bed and you hear no more about it.

... Except we keep hearing more about it. A lot more.
The reality is BvB wants to sell.

As I have said multiple times on this thread, they are the club most dependent on match day revenues in Europe.

Covid impacts them more than most other clubs.

This transfer will happen.

Redfan94

It may be likely we want him but not for 120m eur.

It's also a fair consideration that Dortmund would succumb to a lower fee at the end of the window. So we will just need to wait and see.

If they do it pays off. If they don't, what exactly have we lost? It's a route we want to pursue to our own limit. I don't have an issue with this.
We’ve lost the opportunity to strengthen and build on the end of last season, due to putting all our eggs in one basket in Sancho.

SinNombre

As Sancho alternatives right? The article seems to suggest Ole wants two more players before the window closes, with Jadon being one of them
Does the article give any names?

Thiago is one that will go into the last week.

Barca wants to buy Wijnaldum but has no money.

Liverpool wants to buy Thiago but also keep Wijnaldum but has no money to do both.

Wijnaldum wants to stay at Liverpool ideally.

Thiago wants to move to Liverpool and does not want to extend his contract at Bayern.

Bayern wants to sell Thiago if he doesn't extend his contract, and would like United to bid.

Crazy standoff haha.

RkkMan

Coman, Dembele, Bale and Douglas Costa have all been touted.
Coman- Currently injured and Bayern briefed he`s not for sale so no chance they agree to a mere loan deal which has been rumored especially since he`s their only natural winger after Sane/Gnabry
Dembele- Bartomeu publicly listed him as one of the "non transferable" players
Bale- Going to Spurs
Costa- Di Marzio and Fabrizio both said we were offered Costa and said no
There is no real "alternative" to Sancho and its why we may get him but a big MAY

SinNombre

With regards to Bvb's financial situation, remember that they were almost bankrupt in 2004 until Bayern (!) bailed them out and have never let it go since.

Looking ahead to the current financial year (1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021), Hans-Joachim Watzke explained: "We will only see the figures return to the black when we have no restrictions on the crowd. But we have to be patient. It is hard to imagine football without fans. We have to keep going. We will keep going until we get through it."

dev1l

Coman- Currently injured and Bayern briefed he`s not for sale so no chance they agree to a mere loan deal which has been rumored especially since he`s their only natural winger after Sane/Gnabry
Bale- Going to Spurs
There is no real "alternative" to Sancho
Re Dembele , if someone gives Barca some cash atm Bartomeu will sell even his mother
Anyway I don't think we re interested in Dembele,

SinNombre

Re Dembele , if someone gives Barca some cash atm Bartomeu will sell even his mother
Exactly.

Barca are desperate for cash.

Give them €10m as loan fee and Dembele will be sent packing immediately.

I don't think Dembele fits in with the team Ole is trying to build though.

Thanos

Bale- Going to Spurs
There is no real "alternative" to Sancho and its why we may get him but a big MAY
What about that Italian fellow Cheisa?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He`s not tier 1 exactly but he has close ties to Ole so his Utd news will likely be accurate and he`s not been wrong on any Utd story he`s reported
He`s to Ole what Van De Kraan was when LVG was here or Castles when Mourinho was here
Is he actually ever accurate, though? He first reported about Thiago and Upamecano, I’m pretty sure. And neither of those deals look likely.

mu4c_20le

Exactly.

Dembele would be a hell of a coup, he is still an insane talent. But like some of our own youngsters, he's missed a lot of development through injury, and is very much a project. Ideally he would share playing time with Mason on the right, which would ease his fitness issues, but it would take lots of patience and commitment from both ways and I don't think Barca are willing to give him up yet, at least not cheaply.

Chief123

Anyone listen to talksport before? Tim Sherwood reckons we have run out of money and that our only signing of Donny proves that, he said theres no way the Sancho deal will happen, never liked Sherwood as a player or pundit
He comes out with utter nonsense.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We’ve lost the opportunity to strengthen and build on the end of last season, due to putting all our eggs in one basket in Sancho.
We haven't. We strengthened with Donny and its well reported we would have improved in LB depth had Madrid agreed to no buyback clause.

These two examples show you we were able to do business (willing to wrap one, and hold firm the other) whilst also pursuing our priority target.

Banana Republic

.....once the pandemic is over it will be business as usual....
Are you sure about that?
Commercial revenue will be squeezed and may be at risk for a few years.
The wider economic implications of Covid will be felt for a number of years to come and I can't see future sponsors and partners being so free with their cash in the foreseeable future.

Once the current commercial sponsorship deals come to an end, I think Ed and Co. will find it harder to bring in such lucrative contracts as they have done over the last few years.
Also, it will have gone unnoticed by a lot of fans, but just scraping over the line for a CL place has saved us from losing a lot of revenue.
Apart from the obvious TV money, some of our big commercial contracts are contingent on our participation in European competitions, notably the CL..

So apart from the squeeze on match day revenue and the expected reduction in retail sales (merch etc,), Utd will need to keep a firm eye on those commercial sponsorship deals that are due to end over the next couple of years.
Hence the need to be careful about the total bill for player wages. Failure to offload a few surplus players combined with an expensive new star player on the books, won't help, especially if there's an early exit from the CL at the group stage.
Utd are not too big to fail.

Last edited:

RkkMan

Exactly.

Nobody is paying over the odds for a permanent transfer for an injury prone Dembele with his history of attitude problems and Bartomeu will certainly not let him go for a mere loan unless its a permanent deal for big money a 10m loan deal hardly benefits their finances desperately enough to get rid especially since he`ll be back on their books in a years time anyway its not like Bale`s situation plus he`s 23 and still talented if they cant get a big fee they`ll happily keep him and try to get back his BVB form especially when they`re "rebuilding" with a young team

Bosws87

Are you sure about that?
Commercial revenue will be squeezed and may be at risk for a few years.
The wider economic implications of Covid will be felt for a number of years to come and I can't see future sponsors and partners being so free with their cash in the foreseeable future.

Once the current commercial sponsorship deals come to an end, I think Ed and Co. will find it harder to bring in as such lucrative contracts as they have done over the last few years.
Also, it will have gone unnoticed by a lot of fans, but just scraping over the line for a CL place has saved us from losing a lot of revenue.
Apart from the obvious TV money, some of our big commercial contracts are contingent on our participation in European competitions, notably the CL..

So apart from the squeeze on match day revenue and the expected reduction in retail sales (merch etc,), Utd will need to keep a firm eye on those commercial sponsorship deals that are due to end over the next couple of years.
Hence the need to be careful about the total bill for player wages. Failure to offload a few surplus players combined with an expensive new star player on the books, won't help, especially if there's an early exit from the CL at the group stage.
Utd are not too big to fail.
Acting as if humans learn from history, think we are smart or something, how naive.

Chief123

That’s probably true. He’ll sell his mother but keep Messi.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Hopefully bale and regullion joining spurs will show the united board that our only option is Sancho and we have to find the money for him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The reality is BvB wants to sell.

As I have said multiple times on this thread, they are the club most dependent on match day revenues in Europe.

Covid impacts them more than most other clubs.

This transfer will happen.
Matchday actually makes up a larger part of United's revenue than Dortmund's.

Redfan94

We haven't. We strengthened with Donny and its well reported we would have improved in LB depth had Madrid agreed to no buyback clause.

These two examples show you we were able to do business (willing to wrap one, and hold firm the other) whilst also pursuing our priority target.
Strange response that. Is intent the same as actually achieving signing a player?

VDB was an astute bit of business.But as I’ve said in this thread before, it was a straightforward deal helped by the fact VDS is CEO.

Problem with United is we always seem to have one primary target, and then nobody else which causes us to scramble last minute

If we go into the new season with just VDB having missed out on Sancho having failed to identify and sign an alternative, then yes, we have lost the opportunity to strengthen and build on the closing to last season.

crossy1686

career ending
As Sancho alternatives right? The article seems to suggest Ole wants two more players before the window closes, with Jadon being one of them
Yeah as Sancho alt's. The noise at the start of the window was we were looking for a striker and a CB but now it's rumoured that Ole's happy with Martial's progress and wants a CB and a LB to push Shaw, but we've been unable to move deadweight from the club and that's slowed down our dealings.

Stretender

Dembele would be a hell of a coup, he is still an insane talent. But like some of our own youngsters, he's missed a lot of development through injury, and is very much a project. Ideally he would share playing time with Mason on the right, which would ease his fitness issues, but it would take lots of patience and commitment from both ways and I don't think Barca are willing to give him up yet, at least not cheaply.
Ole is not buying Dembele. He hasn't got the right attitude. People need to understand the profile of a player that Ole wants to sign. Dony Van Beek fits that perfectly. A model pro. When you pay stupid amounts of money for a footballer, you would want to make sure that particular player has the right character to justify spending huge sums. Talent on its own means nothing if a player is not focussed

SATA

Sorry to sound stupid but is that Norway reporter even a real person or just someone hiding behind the monitor claiming to be one and Ole’s mate and we are all lapping it up? I have honestly never heard of him until this Sancho saga recently

Status
Not open for further replies.