Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

The main red light for me is the problems he’s had with both clubs, he seemed to leave City in bad terms and now just after 18 months he’s having problems with Borussia, concerning for a teenager.

Having discipline problems is a big issue specially for such a young player, his career may go south really quick.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
James is a player that needs space to run into and isn't great in confined spaces IMO and would be found out against the top teams who I think will nullify him.

Sancho on the other hand is technically supreme in comparison to James and would be a much better player for us due to his ability to operate in tight spaces. He also has the ability to operate centrally which would provide playmaking capabilities. Sancho has significantly more strings in his bow and eventhough i'm normally against paying huge sums for players, i'd make a exception for Sancho due to his world class potential.
Didn't we just play a supposed top team?And James looked pretty effective?

But take your second point.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nah, we're £40m up on player sales this season (having not bought in the summer) plus CL proceeds and everything else. We got the dough to buy if Klopp wants to make a move, without having to sell.

But he's a Londoner, Chelsea fan, family and friends are there and they seem pretty desperate for him. Dunno why with Pulisic, CHO and Willian already on the books. Would have thought they'd be better off buying a CF or some defenders
If London was that strong a pull, surely he'd not have moved to City or abroad?!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sancho has been playing on the left when I've watched him this season so he's comfortable anywhere across the attacking midfield positions. If we buy him, I think it'd be to play as a 10 to replace Lingard in our current system - he has the touch, dribbling and passing play to help us unlock tight defences which we desperately need and could see him linking up very well with Martial. He's still great on the counter too and is very productive... he would fit perfectly imo.

Ah we do love a left winger?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Nah, we're £40m up on player sales this season (having not bought in the summer) plus CL proceeds and everything else. We got the dough to buy if Klopp wants to make a move, without having to sell.

But he's a Londoner, Chelsea fan, family and friends are there and they seem pretty desperate for him. Dunno why with Pulisic, CHO and Willian already on the books. Would have thought they'd be better off buying a CF or some defenders
I don’t think anyone’s insinuating you can’t afford him but rather he’s unlikely to join Liverpool due to playing time, if he’s already a starter there’s no use going somewhere he’d be a rotation option, because let’s face it he won’t be displacing Mane or Salah.

RedDevilRoshi

I don’t think anyone’s insinuating you can’t afford him but rather he’s unlikely to join Liverpool due to playing time, if he’s already a starter there’s no use going somewhere he’d be a rotation option, because let’s face it he won’t be displacing Mane or Salah.
Yep exactly why I can’t see him going to Liverpool unless they lose either Salah or Mane in the summer.

BusterGonads

Supports
Liverpool
He might start behind the other two but he will get plenty of gametime and if he shows he's good enough to start, he will. If he has the self-belief he can go to Anfield. If he doesn't he can take the easy option to Chelsea but there again he will have CHO, Pulisic and possibly Willian to contend with so. thinking about it like that the only member of the Big 6 he'd walk into as a starter is Arsenal

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Didn't we just play a supposed top team?And James looked pretty effective?

But take your second point.
They afforded him plenty of space to run into. Take the space away from him and I don't believe he would be as effective.

James is still a good signing for the price paid, but I see him as a good squad option who would be best utilised off the bench in a strong Manchester United.

AltiUn

He might start behind the other two but he will get plenty of gametime and if he shows he's good enough to start, he will. If he has the self-belief he can go to Anfield. If he doesn't he can take the easy option to Chelsea but there again he will have CHO, Pulisic and possibly Willian to contend with so. thinking about it like that the only member of the Big 6 he'd walk into as a starter is Arsenal
Plenty of game time isn't quite the same as constant game time he's currently getting, what that essentially means is the opportunities he gets will most likely be in the League Cup/dead rubber CL games, coming for the last 20/30 minutes of games or filling in if one of your front three is injured, not quite as lucrative as some of his other options. He might back himself one day to get in ahead of Mane and Salah, but realistically that could take years due to the fact both players are currently in their prime, you say going to Chelsea is the easy option but it's the sensible one, as is joining any team where he's going to be a regular starter. He'd get into United's, Arsenal's, Chelsea's and Tottenham's starting 11s.

jackal&hyde

Why are so many so sure he is going to Chelsea? We could probably pay more in both fees and wages and he would be a starter for sure at United, a number 7 too.

AltiUn

Why are so many so sure he is going to Chelsea? We could probably pay more in both fees and wages and he would be a starter for sure at United, a number 7 too.
I thought it he was nailed on there because they looked nailed on for CL football, now all of a sudden we're within touching distance of it ourselves.

Suedesi

Rumors in Dortmund are saying that the price-tag will be something between 100-140 Million Euros (remember: contract till 2022). Hoping for a bidding war.
Vielen Dank, nicht interessiert an diesem Preis. Zum halben Preis können wir reden.

mav_9me

He was a regular ahead of pulisic at Dortmund, in fact was one of the reasons Pulisic got sold. He would easily get in ahead of Willian. CHO himself is not getting much game time. As @AltiUn already said above he would start at any team except Liverpool and City. Even at City I would start him at RW ahead of Bernardo Silva and play Bernardo ahead of Dvaid in CM.

MrVolley

I don't believe Chelsea will pay anywhere close to what we'd pay Sancho, his reps and Dortmund. I think Barca and Madrid could possibly pose a threat though.
Top level players that we want (not mercenaries) don't have money as primary motivation anymore as most top clubs pay a lot.

What motivates them is trophies and medals. We can't offer this.

Look at Dybala as an example. Although we were in for him, Dybala preferred to fight for his place at a club where he has been winning trophies. And look at his form since.

Look at Liverpool. They couldn't sign anybody when they weren't winning anything. With 2 Champions League finals in the last 2 years, now top players are being linked with them and many want to play for Klopp.

My point is 'flash the cash' isn't a viable incentive, as we have found out over the past few years.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Top level players that we want (not mercenaries) don't have money as primary motivation anymore as most top clubs pay a lot.

Look at Dybala as an example. Although we were in for him, Dybala preferred to fight for his place at a club where he has been winning trophies. And look at his form since.

Look at Liverpool. They couldn't sign anybody when they weren't winning anything. With 2 Champions League finals in the last 2 years, now top players are being linked with them and many want to play for Klopp.

My point is 'flash the cash' isn't a viable incentive, as we have found out over the past few years.
Sancho is a English lad and Manchester United does still have a huge attraction for players born in the country. But otherwise I do agree with what you're saying about the foreign players like Dybala.

Liverpool signed Firminho and Suarez without Klopp.

Le Red

Take the space away from him and I don't believe he would be as effective.
You make it sound so easy.
Taking away space from James requires backup to his marker more often than not, meaning more space to other players. So the price to pay to nullify him is still high.

Le Red

I believe this to be completely innacurate. Many players actually take up the challenge to play for a club with a decent project and help it to the next level. Not every player is only enticed by the "sign and win" clubs.
Lacking major trophies hasn't been that much of a problem for us as much as convincing top players about the project. The moment our project looks convincing, the players will want to come.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You make it sound so easy.
Taking away space from James requires backup to his marker more often than not, meaning more space to other players. So the price to pay to nullify him is still high.
It's not about making it sound easy. But football at the top level requires you to perform in tight spaces and someone like Sancho is far superior to James in that regard due to being a much better technician.

Tarrou

we've actually got a decent right winger now for the first time in forever

those who expect us to sign Sancho for £100m as well are living in cloud cuckoo land

Adnan

Talent Spotter

those who expect us to sign Sancho for £100m as well are living in cloud cuckoo land
Why shouldn't we expect the club to sign Sancho for £100m?

passing-wind

It really doesn't matter what we offer for Dortmund and the player, if Chelsea finish in the top four and we don't it's a forgone conclusion as to where he will end up. We don't have a big name manager at the helm to dissociate a season of European football like witnessed with Mourinho / Pogba.

I think it will be telling if we don't get him because Solskjaer / Woodward have made his signing some type of image of the club's resurgence. Since Ole has come in we have hammered the English youth prospect along with singing British players this summer. Given this if we fail to sign the biggest British talent then the vision is already a failure retrospectively.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
we have a player playing really well in that position

and we're short in other areas of the pitch that needs a lot of investment
Is that player gonna be the longterm solution in that position over Sancho who is younger and performing at a higher level already?

With Pogba likely leaving we could quite comfortably sign Sancho and sign a couple of midfielders. But someone like Sancho is a must due to his potential to become the best in his respective position.

paulscholes18

Decent being the operative word, Sancho is different Class
James 3G & 4A in 20 games
Sancho 9G & 9A in 18

Tarrou

Decent being the operative word, Sancho is different Class
James 3G & 4A in 20 games
Sancho 9G & 9A in 18
yeah i know, we should sign Sancho

but that isn't what we're discussing here, it is whether our board fork out £100m for a position we don't desperately need

they took 5 years to sign a right winger when we had no one there

now we have James

paulscholes18

yeah i know, we should sign Sancho

but that isn't what we're discussing here, it is whether our board fork out £100m for a position we don't desperately need

they took 5 years to sign a right winger when we had no one there

now we have James
I believe we should, I think Sancho will make the difference vs teams that don’t give us space where James has struggled like West Ham, Bournemouth and Newcastle

Denis' cuff

People really are a bit shortsighted. For the next few months, Chelsea are in the CL and we’re not.

Any player basing their decision on that isn’t going to make many good career choices

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
People really are a bit shortsighted. For the next few months, Chelsea are in the CL and we’re not.

Any player basing their decision on that isn’t going to make many good career choices
Chelsea are in no CL whatsoever either.

MrVolley

I believe this to be completely innacurate. Many players actually take up the challenge to play for a club with a decent project and help it to the next level. Not every player is only enticed by the "sign and win" clubs.
Lacking major trophies hasn't been that much of a problem for us as much as convincing top players about the project. The moment our project looks convincing, the players will want to come.
At the top level I believe they do. At the top level clubs are either winning trophies or they are failures unless the project is exceptional and led by good managers and ownership. Man City and Liverpool fitted that bill. Do the Glazers and a former Cardiff manager? I don't think so.

We only have to look at Barcelona and Real Madrid as an example to show us hardly any top players move to any teams outside of trophy winning clubs. Even Griezmann used Atletico as a stepping stone to Barcelona. We can be sure Felix will too. Top players there clearly haven't given a damn about 'projects' at clubs that don't win major trophies. We can't even attract Minamono. We haven't even they smarts to find out whether he has a release clause.

MrVolley

John Cross is a decent Journo.
"Believe" (groan). The story of our transfer strategy.

Leaving our bias as United fans, would any of you sign for us if you were Sancho? There is no way I would if I was putting in the kind of performances Sancho is. I'd be thinking City (Pogba type return), Liverpool, Juventus, Barcelona or Real Madrid.
Sancho is probably looking at how Barcelona was willing to sign Dembele, and thinking "I'm way better than him"

How about a player exchange with Barca (Sancho for Dembele returning to Dortmund)? I can see all 4 parties happy with that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Leaving our bias as United fans, would any of you sign for us if you were Sancho? There is no way I would if I was putting in the kind of performances Sancho is. I'd be thinking City (Pogba type return), Liverpool, Juventus, Barcelona or Real Madrid.
Sancho is probably looking at how Barcelona was willing to sign Dembele, and thinking "I'm way better than him"

How about a player exchange with Barca (Sancho for Dembele returning to Dortmund)? I can see all 4 parties happy with that.
I would join United because they'd likely pay me the most. United would likely pay my agent the most and would likely pay my current club the most. And at 19 years old I'd be wearing the #7 on my back and would arrive at United with at least two other top players to add to our current squad which would give me alot of confidence for the season ahead.

I doubt Dortmund would take Dembele back after he forced a move to Barca. So I can't see that happening.

mav_9me

I would like at Chelsea and united. I would consider Liverpool. No way would I go to City or real or Barcelona. If I can see how Dembele has done at Barca why would I want to go there and take that risk.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Plenty of reasons to joint Manchester United.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

I would for money, fame, first name on the team sheet and a possibility to move to a 'better' club for an improved salary if They stagnant, or still get an improved salary and more trophies if They keep improving. Safe choice for a youngster, to be able to move or commit.

It's a different thing If I was 28, I'd choose Pool/Barca every time.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
Vielen Dank, nicht interessiert an diesem Preis. Zum halben Preis können wir reden.
Your United bias aside, you have to remember the facts:

City have an option, Dortmund has to inform them about every offer and they have the right to increase that sum. This option alone will result in a bidding war (If i think about it it was very very clever from Zorc, in the negotiations with them to buy Sancho it sounds like its a pro-point for City, but it the end its also great for BVB).
Sancho is one of the best youth prospects out there, in a market which became crazy, and still got contract till 2022 (thanks Sancho for extending it last year :) ), so BVB can lean back and wait until some offer fits their imagination. The background of all this is that Sancho feels great at Dortmund, knows what he has got there, and there is an (oraly) agreement which says we let you go if it make sense, but only if the offer fits our expectations.

My bet is on 2 teams:
Liverpool
Real

In this sequence. With Liverpool are connections through Klopp, they play thrilling football and are the hottest thing in the PL, and could afford him. Real always want the shiny things, and we got Hakimi from them so there might be some negotiations, Watzke got a connection to Perez and negotiations were always fair.

Last edited:

VJ1762

Your United bias aside, you have to remember the facts:

City have an option, Dortmund has to inform them about every offer and they have the right to increase that sum. This option alone will result in a bidding war (If i think about it it was very very clever from Zorc, in the negotiations with them to buy Sancho it sounds like its a pro-point for City, but it the end its also great for BVB).
Sancho is one of the best youth prospects out there, in a market which became crazy, and still got contract till 2022 (thanks Sancho for extending it last year :) ), so BVB can lean back and wait until some offer fits their imagination. The background of all this is that Sancho feels great at Dortmund, knows what he has got there, and there is an (oraly) agreement which says we let you go if it make sense, but only if the offer fits our expectations.

My bet is on 2 teams:
Liverpool
Real

In this sequence. With Liverpool are connections through Klopp, they play thrilling football and are the hottest thing in the PL, and could afford him. Real always want the shiny things, and we got Hakimi from them so there might be some negotiations, Watzke got a connection to Perez and negotiations were always fair.
This summer is going to be very interesting.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

People say this all the time, why would Pogba sign for us over Real back in 2016, why would Sanchez sign for us over City in 2018, why would Maguire sign for us over City in 2019

We'll generally always pay the selling club more than others and we'll generally always pay the player more than others

I just don't see anyone challenging us for Sancho other than Chelsea and if it's between us and them I don't even see UCL tipping things in their favour

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
10 goals and 9 assists in 21 matches for Dortmund this season.

13 goals and 15 assists in 41 matches last season.

That works out to 23 goals and 24 assists in 62 matches for Dortmund. Serious, serious numbers for a 19 year old right winger.

Josh 76

Not sure if 100m would be worth it. But then when I picture these front 4 running havoc for the next 10 years
Rashford
Greenwood
James
Sancho

I think feck it and let's just pay it!

Status
Not open for further replies.