Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this goes through, it’s very likely to be the biggest transfer of the summer. We have the added issue that we are in the middle of a global pandemic that means we can’t even go and watch football live, which adds a massive amount of uncertainty to the entire football business.

The fact is that the transfer window has more than a month to run.

Hardly any transfers have been completed so far.

Calm down, you bunch of insecure muppets.

KChucky88

i think Sancho deal is broken down but may happen in next year and now man utd can foucs on new strong defender signings first

Technically that wasnt his market cost. It was his release clause. Athletico didn’t want to take a chance and find what his market value would be. For example Griezmann has a 700m release clause. If someone pays that that’s not his market value. Anyone can get him for less than a 100m.
I would argue you are completely wrong. If you take your Griezman example, if you can buy him for less than £700m, then why would you pay his release clause? Ultimately, until the transfer fee is squashed due to an artificially low release clause, the transfer of a player and that cost is exactly the market value at that time, and is the only figure that’s accurate.

To support this, what is and what was the market value of Messi, Giggs or Scholes at any point in their career? the answer is we don’t know.

Fooza

If this goes through, it’s very likely to be the biggest transfer of the summer. We have the added issue that we are in the middle of a global pandemic that means we can’t even go and watch football live, which adds a massive amount of uncertainty to the entire football business.

The fact is that the transfer window has more than a month to run.

Hardly any transfers have been completed so far.

Calm down, you bunch of insecure muppets.
If this goes through, I think we will have a one of the most entertaining, devastating and dangerous front line for years to come. I genuinely think it can be more better than Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez era. Adding Greenwood too, we could have a front line sorted for the next decade.

Dread Devil

Woody has been playing a blinder with sponsorship over the last few years. One area we can all agree he is down by a good job.

I think we are in a much stronger position than other clubs during this pandemic as our turnover won’t be affected as much by the loss of gate receipts compared to other clubs....

He could play hardball here.... drag this out over a year, maybe squeeze Dortmund a little, pick up a bargain next year but at the same time a winning frontline of Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho would strike terror in every opposition’s defense and possibly put us back up at the top domestically and in Europe immediately.

At the same time this would make us the most commercially attractive football team in England as it would have three English forwards who will dominate the national team for ages..

Just do it Woody.....it’s worth it on all fronts...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan
If this goes through, I think we will have a one of the most entertaining, devastating and dangerous front line for years to come. I genuinely think it can be more better than Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez era. Adding Greenwood too, we could have a front line sorted for the next decade.
It’s got phenomenal potential of is goes through.

I’m not sure any of them can be as good as Ronaldo (at United) but perhaps as a cohort they can be a better group. Exciting times.

peridigm

Yeah but we're a slightly stoopid club so I guess we should just go for it
Sometimes I wonder if Ed is slightly stoopid but he just doesn’t seem to be the type. Then again if we announce Sancho at 4:20 tomorrow I’ll have my answer.

croadyman

Definitely feels like it will go quiet on this until after the Europa League campaign now. Would like to be proved totally wrong but that is just my gut feeling after last couple of days

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Dortmund is the **** of football. Imagine signing players and selling them when they become fecking good while you watch them from distance. Even to your closest "rival", essentially bending over and going "please take my players oh mighty fussball lord FC Bayern". And now they're trying to spin a narrative that they will be the winners in this deal but still, the **** of football. All these german journalists and papers trying to make them look tough. But I bet they're wanking themselves silly over the money they'll receive when other club once again get one of their best players.

el3mel

Nothing really wrong about this article. It didn't say we'll be losers but BVB aren't losing either, sell him for 120m and they'll have enough money to buy 2-3 talented players and repeat the cycle. They're not losing by letting him go, but they want to make sure to get enough money from the deal as they're into it. No reason to insult them really.

Beside expecting them to bend to us and lower the price immediately is kinda weird thinking. They have the player and have the right to value him as much as they want.

It's negotiations. Either we manage to convince them to drop it to around 90m or we'll end up splashing the full 120m. We'll get him at the end it's just the matter of we'll be able to convince BVB to lower the price or not.

Bondi77

Not with a club that has no real need to sell.
I think keeping an unhappy player on their books is partly a reason to sell and if Bayern and City have sealed bargains on Torres and Sane and Chelsea with Werner because of their contract situation than it will be the same for us next season so I think if they want to get the most for their player the time for them is now.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If it doesn’t go ahead in some ways it might be the strong message to other clubs that we deal with that our final offer is actually final and we’ve probably needed since Ed’s Disneyland days...

Totally wrong player to finally baulk at though and still in a position we badly need quality in.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We should call the bluff and walk away. We can spend 100m on 2-3 players and get sancho on the cheap next year.

Either they'll reduce the price right now or they'll reduce it next year. They should know we can walk away.

Bondi77

We should call the bluff and walk away. We can spend 100m on 2-3 players and get sancho on the cheap next year.

Either they'll reduce the price right now or they'll reduce it next year. They should know we can walk away.
Spot on,
We need to teach these pricks a lesson

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Technically that wasnt his market cost. It was his release clause. Athletico didn’t want to take a chance and find what his market value would be. For example Griezmann has a 700m release clause. If someone pays that that’s not his market value. Anyone can get him for less than a 100m.
Saaaayyy... Speaking of which.. Cheeky bid for Griezmann now that he sucks? Why can't we luck out for once by buying a player who went through a lull to find themselves again instead of us being the place where they spiral into that lull? :lol:

TsuWave

I don’t think £120M is a lot of money for Sancho. Especially if it can be paid in instalments.

Also, people are kidding themselves if they think bagging him next year will be easy. Guy will have everyone circling around. He’s a top player already.

TheLord

@TheLord why would Sancho sign a new deal with Dortmund?
I didn't say he will. If fact I acknowledged that he probably will not.

I was only responding to another poster who was "certain" that if Sancho runs down his Dortmund contract, United hold all the leverage to sign him up, which isn't true as many other top clubs will come to the mix in the post-Covid-19 world. There are at least half a dozen other clubs with United's charisma in modern football.

Sancho is still very young. You'd think most midfielders hit their peaks around 24-27 years of age. While Sancho may want to move to a bigger club now, there's no reason to refute that he may quite fancy staying at Dortmund for a few more years to continue developing, and then move to a bigger club. He's the linchpin of the Dortmund side and is arguably the best club to help him develop.

manutddjw

I don’t understand their logic in Zorc going public with the fee. It’s not a win for them. Let’s say they wanted to buy Jack Grealish. Do you not think Aston Villa would add at least another 10 million knowing they just got 120 million?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I am starting to lose faith...

Forgive me.
Our offer is already €120m means we have no problem to pay 120m for Sancho. They want us to increase the initial fees since the initial fees is only €70m. This will only matter of time, I think we are waiting until we can sell some of our players to use it for Sancho.

Womp

idiot
Spot on,
We need to teach these pricks a lesson
You won't be teaching them anything. If it wasn't for Covid which is an anomaly, it's hardly as if they'd be short of clubs offering ridiculous amounts for a player of Sancho's ability.

It's hardly as if we are free of blame, we have played our part in making the market as ridiculous as it has been. Clubs know we have money and they don't have a pressing need to sell, there is absolutely no reason for them to sell for less than they value their asset.

I don't buy this story that Dortmund are as desperate for a sale as everyone seems to think they are.

Rolaholic

I don’t think £120M is a lot of money for Sancho. Especially if it can be paid in instalments.

Also, people are kidding themselves if they think bagging him next year will be easy. Guy will have everyone circling around. He’s a top player already.
That's my biggest fear if it doesn't happen this summer. The financial and football realities for all the big players in Europe likely be way different than right now and Sancho will be heading into the final year of his contract so Dortmund won't have as strong a hand as they do now.

The likes of Barcelona are likely going to have a clear out sale given the age of their starting XI and Paris might be flush with even more cash + the need if one of their star forwards decides to move on after another disappointing exit in Europe.

I feel like it's a now or never type window with him like with Griezmann the summer he was linked constantly.

Last edited:

el3mel

You won't be teaching them anything. If it wasn't for Covid which is an anomaly, it's hardly as if they'd be short of clubs offering ridiculous amounts for a player of Sancho's ability.

It's hardly as if we are free of blame, we have played our part in making the market as ridiculous as it has been. Clubs know we have money and they don't have a pressing need to sell, there is absolutely no reason for them to sell for less than they value their asset.

I don't buy this story that Dortmund are as desperate for a sale as everyone seems to think they are.
Yeah the general view that BVB are wrong for valuing the player that much and persisting on the price they want in the early days of negotiations is a weird logic and, while I don't like to say it, is an entitles way of thinking. It's like they should hand us the player with whatever price we are offering and without even wanting anything.

Do people know what "negotiations" actually mean? The selling club asks for a price and the buying one spend time trying to reduce it a little bit. Hardly anything new here.

People just need to be patient a little bit. These huge deals aren't done over the night.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
This is their attempt to save their face and also to increase the initial fee. It's normal. They are the seller. They have to do it because United have as much as power as them. Because right now, United are the only one that could pay and want Sancho. City are the other that could pay but the chance of him returning is zero. Dortmund has no other choice than to bring up all sort of dramas into play because currently there's no other realistic demand for Sancho.

I don't think it's as easy keeping him for one more season for Dortmund (so that they could sell him for higher profit a.k.a 'post COVID there will be a lot of takers') because:
  1. Nobody knows how long it'll take for the global economy (especially EU) to return to it's previous state. Even if the vaccine is found one day, the economy recovery will still take time. It's useless to predict such a thing and the Dortmund board surely know about this. There's a lot of uncertainty
  2. Sancho will be on his last contract in 2022, which means his value will normally be lower, without taking account of the number of demands in the future
  3. Keeping an unhappy player (considering Sancho really wants the move) could only lead to disaster, delaying his replacement process when they know he'd leave at some point and this could also affect his performance. Dortmund doesn't seem to be that kind of club, they want value first and foremost, if they could secure the result of their investment now, during a very volatile economic situation, why not do it?
So basically there are two options for them. Be a greedy bastard and rely on uncertainty or secure their investment now (that have grown by a lot) and plan for the next one, without having to worry about how the economy's going to be. It's a no brainer, they'll sell but not without a fight. They negotiate and there's nothing wrong about that.

But at some point there will be a middle ground between the two clubs. It's still SanchON.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.