Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Over the 12 months there has been alot of talk about Sancho being a Chelsea fan. But in the below video he's asked about which team he supported as a kid and his response is he never supported any team growing up. The question is asked at 01:15 of the vid.

Denis' cuff

Over the 12 months there has been alot of talk about Sancho being a Chelsea fan. But in the below video he's asked about which team he supported as a kid and his response is he never supported any team growing up. The question is asked at 01:15 of the vid.

Hmmm... tactful/astute

pacifictheme

This will get done next weekend is my guess its got to happen soon if August 10th is really deadline day. I wonder what will happen with James now will he rotate with Sancho or be loaned out ?
He won't be rotated with sancho. He'll be an impact sub / play in the cups or if we have an injury crisis. He as already 4th choice.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I think most footballers don't play for the team they support and even some who play for their rivals.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Are you shocked? He's being very diplomatic. All football mad kids have a team growing up but it doesn't have to influence where they end up.

Remember Bergkamp was Utd,Ole was Liverpool I believe. So many of those Ajax kids are RM or Barca and so on

RUCK4444

:houllier::lol: are you being serious here ?
In fairness we all know he won't get a lot of minutes ahead of Sancho but he can be a very useful impact sub and we shouldn't just disregard him.

Plus, as I've said in other threads, I'd like to see Greenwood rotating for that no 9 spot with Martial next season for periods (in addition to getting minutes from RW again.) Martial had a good season but I think Greenwood over the course of a season could have eclipsed his goal tally, even at his young age and more importantly I want him being coached as a thoroughbred no 9 not some winger-hybrid-forward of which we have many.

It's great to have so many rotational options in the forward areas.

Tarrou

Once he signs for us he'll announce he was a United fan all along

Messi Lingard was his favourite player growing up

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In fairness we all know he won't get a lot of minutes ahead of Sancho but he can be a very useful impact sub and we shouldn't just disregard him.

Plus, as I've said in other threads, I'd like to see Greenwood rotating for that no 9 spot with Martial next season for periods (in addition to getting minutes from RW again.) Martial had a good season but I think Greenwood over the course of a season could have eclipsed his goal tally, even at his young age and more importantly I want him being coached as a thoroughbred no 9 not some winger-hybrid-forward of which we have many.

It's great to have so many rotational options in the forward areas.
Right now I think James has to focus on proving he's actually good enough whenever he gets opportunities more than anything, given he's really on the edge right now. Minutes will come, but at the moment there are serious doubts over his ability to even be a good squad player. Mere running is never enough at the highest level.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hope we can conclude this within the next couple of week. Would like to see us get in our signings early this time to bed them in better and in a more timely manner.

RUCK4444

Right now I think James has to focus on proving he's actually good enough whenever he gets opportunities more than anything, given he's really on the edge right now. Minutes will come, but at the moment there are serious doubts over his ability to even be a good squad player. Mere running is never enough at the highest level.
Yeah every player needs to prove their worth, however I think many have been very harsh. When he was thrown in at the beginning of the season he did well.

Then after playing a lot less football he's come back in at times and tried too hard to impress, there was that game where he kept shooting to get on the scoresheet and you could see how much he's forcing it.

We must remember the initial period and not write him off just yet imo. He was great on the counter and I think he has the makings of a good impact sub.

Judas

Open to offers
I think it'll be done by this time next week personally, if not officially, but all but official to the point where even the most negative of muppet can see its dealio done. Could be wrong, might take a bit longer, but most things seem to point to this not dragging out much further than that.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think most footballers don't play for the team they support and even some who play for their rivals.
You're right.

Terry was a Man United fan, Ole was a Liverpool fan, Gerrard was an Everton fan and Kane was an Arsenal fan.

Sancho was definitely a Chelsea fan, or at least he pretended to be one on his old Twitter account for years!

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Hope you're right, however haven't we had to borrow £140 million (on top of existing debt) to offset the negative impacts of COVID?

Money is there, however it's adding to our debt pile, which needs to be paid off eventually.
Someone else on this forum that doesn't understand how debt works at major corperations.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Do you want to bet that the final price will not be €120m guaranteed, if you are so confident?
I don't bet with strangers on the internet ;)

But you seem to think I'm just a Bundesliga fan boy. I may be, but I have really put some thoughts into this since we are in a similar situation with Havertz and Chelsea. Thing is, this is a unique economic situation because of Corona. In a regular market it makes total sense to sell your players two years before their contracts run out. But in this case, there are two factors that work against that:

1) The market next year will have recovered by at least a considerable margin. This means that prices will rise again. It may very well be the case that Dortmund can sell Sancho for only 10-20m less than what the top bidder (apparently you) is offering this season. That deprives the scenario that Sancho stays for another year of its terror.

2) Why is selling in the last contract year such an uncomfortable bargaining position for the selling club to begin with? Because the buyer can threaten to sign the player next season when his contract has run out for free. But therefore the player has to be willing to let his contract run out in the first place. Sancho already wanted to leave last season, he's eager to leave this one. You or whoever else would be trying to sign him next season would have to convince him of the general possibility to stay for an additional year, meaning that he would make the step to a top club four years (!) after his initial intention. That won't happen, he'll want to leave immediately and Dortmund knows this. This makes the "take the money or we'll wait another year and sign him as a free agent" threat a hollow one. If one club meets Dortmund's demands, he'll go there, even if he'd generally prefer another team. He won't wait. From this point onward, it becomes a game theory situation. All interested parties would have to stick to the implicit agreement to not pay the actual market price with only one year left on the contract. However, one club does that and the player will go there. So you can be dead sure that one club in a recovered economic situation will want to secure the signature of arguably the most promising youngster in the world.
I mean, imagine the situation that you guys, Liverpool, Real, Barcelona, PSG, Chelsea and Juve are interested. Dortmund asks for 100m although there's only one year left on the contract. Sancho would prefer United but is totally willing to leave since he doesn't want to waste another year at a club below his level. You guys are hesitant to pay 100m for a player that would be a free agent in one year's time but Barcelona and PSG decide to break the bank and meet Dortmund's demands - do you think he wouldn't go there but stay another year at Dortmund (as I said, 4 years longer than he intended) to go to Manchester? I don't. And yes, you could argue that PSG and Barca would have overpaid but on the other hand, they would've secured the signature of a potential Ballon D'Or winner for 100m which is still a reasonable price in a post-Corona market - a deal that would prove to be a very, very good long term decision since they can sell him for more or profit from it for almost a decade.

RUCK4444

I think it'll be done by this time next week personally, if not officially, but all but official to the point where even the most negative of muppet can see its dealio done. Could be wrong, might take a bit longer, but most things seem to point to this not dragging out much further than that.
Isn't that when a certain Italian journo will confirm it and then we can all revere him as a god of football journalism? :wenger:

Andersons Dietician

I would think that whoever goes first out of Kai or Sancho the other won’t be far behind. Probably both some of the few players that would retain value in this window.

Neither Bayern or Dortmund will want to sell to either Chelsea or United for a lot less than one another. Sancho is probably demands a slightly higher fee but won’t think it’ll be by much so once one gets done I expect the other to go for around the same price.

gorky_utd

I was reading a men article by Richard Fay and it says city will receive 15 percent of transfer fee. Can anyone confirm this?

Mr PG

The real reason city have never wanted sancho back is cheaper options who’re almost as good.

whenever someone overbids city they have always shown a willingness to walk away and buy cheaper elsewhere

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Gotta say, if we manage to secure this deal with only 50 to 60 million upfront, that is a masterstroke in negotiations and should rightly be applauded.

Betson

Once he signs for us he'll announce he was a United fan all along

Messi Lingard was his favourite player growing up

You mean he will do a Robbie Keane who must be the luckiest footballer ever as he got to play for all the clubs he dreamed about playing for when he was a kid.
Wolverhampton Wanderers, Coventry City, Inter Milan.,Leeds United., Tottenham Hotspur., Liverpool.,LA Galaxy , West Ham , Celtic and probably a few more.

Superunknown

I'm trying so hard not to get ahead of myself with this potential signing. The signs seem to be there to say that it should happen. Massive statement if we can manage to get it done. I just worry that it's going to leave us short in other areas since this is going to take up so much of our budget.

Green_Red

I hope if we get this kid in that our fans will be patient with him. Just spent the morning watching some games ge played in and whilst he looks very talented he isnt the finished article and does make mistakes. He might be frustrating whilst he attempts to adjust to the premier league. Just saying.

Baneofthegame

The real reason city have never wanted sancho back is cheaper options who’re almost as good.

whenever someone overbids city they have always shown a willingness to walk away and buy cheaper elsewhere
Please show the examples of this outside of Sánchez?

Posh Red

I might be about to get my head bitten off, but does Sancho really offer anything different or better than Rashford, and/or Greenwood, DNGMW I am more than happy if we sign him but only to give us more strength in depth
Don’t really see the similarities with Rashford myself. How are they similar players?

lewwoo

I dont care if this takes up our whole budget this summer. He is that good and in a position we havent filled adequately for years. Spunk the lot Woody.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

You are massively clutching at straws here. Have you stopped to think that Utd are miles bigger than city and can simply outcompete them when we go head to head. Doesn’t matter how successful this city team are, there will always be one team in Manchester for proper football fans.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

So you'd prefer to sign Ferran Torres instead of Sancho, is that what you're saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.