Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseguy64

How can so many people on the internet be so bad at using it? Guy that here we go’d it had a United crest avatar and “Fabrizio Bromano” as their twitter handle
It genuinely doesn't shock me. Donald Trump is the leader of a country. People are well..

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s so predictable that we’ll drag this on til the deadline & pay their full asking price anyway, whilst not strengthening anywhere else.

Judas

Open to offers
Getting him bedded in and accustomed to life as a United player as early as possible is equally important.
In an ideal world sure I agree. But I'd rather it dragged and we got him, than take our ball and go home early and buy someone nowhere near his level instead, which some in here seem to not have a problem with.

Amarsdd

It's a true deadline. 10th of August 2021; this deal has next summer written all over it. Maybe January at best.
and I thought you were a ray of sunshine given alllll those lower league free transfer, loan deal and contract extension tweets ...

Last edited:

gajender

I don't think Dortmund will lower their asking price. They will look like a fool if they drop their asking price below 100m for a generational talent. In the non-Covid-19 world, he would have easily gone for 120m+.

If Ed gets this done in mid September (or even later) for anything over 100m, he is a buffoon.

It is so important to allow young players who are playing in foreign leagues as much time as possible to adequately gel in the new team, and for the manager to instil his ideas and understand the new player.

Haggling over a few million Euros can potentially mean a few points dropped. No fun.

If the asking price cannot be met, Ed should say "No" and move on to the next target ASAP.
Thank God you are not part of the negotiations Sancho if signed would be signed for atleast 5 year contract so even if joins late in the transfer window it's not the end of the world it's all good to wrap up transfer business early but what's more important is to get the right player .

Dortmund would be bigger fools if they let the deal fall through for difference of few millions and end up taking greater financial hit because of that they don't hold all the leverage in this transfer.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
It’s so predictable that we’ll drag this on til the deadline & pay their full asking price anyway, whilst not strengthening anywhere else.
Or we could tell them to go fudge themselves and get him at a better price in January as per Bruno Fernandes drama, and there is always the Gotze, Hummels and Lewandowski way.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I keep picturing a flea market where a balding middle aged man with a beer belly is haggling over the price of an almost brand new sofa which both he and the seller both know is worth twice the quoted price in any big store. The seller is politely shaking his head, trying not to lose patience, while the middle aged man is just running through the playbook as a formality before he shells out the asking price. The only reason he has time to haggle is because he was in the area early in the day and the market is still empty.

At some point he has to pay up, or the seller will just move on and wait for the next bidder. A sofa like that, he knows he doesn't need to drop the price.

I think we can expect an announcement in the next couple of days.

passing-wind

Think the club looks ridiculous seeking small value in a lower fee. If the club's ideology is to lose the big spending tag the key would be to identify targets that alienate huge investment. City's deal for Torres is a good example, last season Tielemans for 35 million from Monaco. We need to get the Sancho before the move to Dortmund (which I'm aware we did try) that's the difference in adopting an effective strategy. If Sancho runs down his contract he will most definitely get more interest from more clubs then we look back at the opportunity of squabbling over a few million as foolishness.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Think the club looks ridiculous seeking small value in a lower fee. If the club's ideology is to lose the big spending tag the key would be to identify targets that alienate huge investment. City's deal for Torres is a good example, last season Tielemans for 35 million from Monaco. We need to get the Sancho before the move to Dortmund (which I'm aware we did try) that's the difference in adopting an effective strategy. If Sancho runs down his contract he will most definitely get more interest from more clubs then we look back at the opportunity of squabbling over a few million as foolishness.
Was wondering the other day if all that may actually be an intended strategy? I mean, after all this whole circus draws lots and lots of attention to the clubs and the player.

If Sancho signs for United after all of this up and down, the hype will be much bigger than in a scenario in which United secured the deal early and quietly.

Dve

Negotiation tactic. First of all, they don't really care about our emotions tbh - we're just another club to them.

They are saying that the deal is off because that is their last bargaining chip. Backing off from the deal is a big part of negotiations.

Both sides are playing a game and its simple. Dortmund want us to cough up 120m, we don't want to pay premium. We want a reduced price (because of Covid, image, etc.), and Dortmund is testing our resolve.

The mistake we made was that, we made the whole world aware that Sancho is our top target, our BIG signing. That is the only point in Dortmund's favour. No way that Dortmund is going to budge now.

My assumption is that final discussions will be taking place very soon (if not already under way). It will follow something like this:

Ed : Look Zorc, we want the player, you want to sell. Can we just make the deal for €100m with everything?

Zorc: We've quoted 120, Ed. Pay 120 and you can have him.

E: I wish we could Zorc. Every club took a hit after Covid. We could've paid 130 if things were normal. The best we can do, and I am literally stretching my budget here... 105. Final offer.

Z: We took a hit as well, don't forget. Look Ed, Let's cut it short... For you, just out of respect for another club and taking Covid into account... 115. That's it!

(Pause between both. Ed is frustrated as hell. Zorc is cool)
Ed: (Sigh) Can we make a deal today? Right here? You and me?

Z: That's what we want as well.

E: Great. Then tell me the price, with which we can complete the deal.

Z: 115.

E: Ok Zorc, listen... I've raised all I could. I am literally at my last penny for this deal. I have to sell Lingard as well just to fund this... 110. Deal or we walk.

Z: Hmm.. I don't know. Its difficult. I have to think.
(Makes doodles on his notepad, calls someone and speaks in German. Shakes his head.)

Z: (Sigh) Alright Ed. We have a deal.

I am not kidding. This is literally the way these things go in layman's terms.
I think you missed my point. Dortmund care about the United fans, but United do. Making it look like a deal is close, adds pressure on United to finalise the deal.

Edit: I meant to say "Dortmund don´t care about United fans".

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think you missed my point. Dortmund care about the United fans, but United do. Making it look like a deal is close, adds pressure on United to finalise the deal.
I agree with this and have made a similar point.

Leaking that the deal is close puts mad pressure on Ed, he isn’t popular with fans and they will know that and if he doesn’t complete the deal now imagine how gutted we will all be. What a way to try and get him to close the deal.

tomaldinho1

I think what's interesting with covid is Dortmund will be presenting a calm face to the world about this but looking at their latest financial reports you can see how deeply affected they are economically & a big player sale could be pretty vital to them. If anyone on here has a financial background they can probably offer some more detailed insight: https://aktie.bvb.de/eng/Publicatio...rterly-Financial-Report-3rd-Quarter-2019-2020

Worth noting their Q3 report ended in March, so you can assume situation is actually worse.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Romano was involved in an interview with Mark Goldbridge. He basically said that we're negotiating with Sancho and he might or might not coming. Also things had gone quiet with VDB but we might end up being interested in him, we're interested in Gabriel but we might not sign him and that water is wet, the sky is blue and the sun is hot.

OleTheGreat

I like that we don't want to be pushed around but like Maguuire i feel the longer we keep this at bay, we push aside further transfer and end up buying just one or 2 in the entire window and that sucks. There's hardly been a window in the past 4-5 years where we have managed to add 4 to the squad. We're always short of players after the best XI. The game against LASK last night proved once and for all that our fringe players are not up to the standards and there is quality missing all over the park in terms of replacements. Only the addition of Sancho will not help us get anywhere close to winning trophies. We need a defensive midfielder, i hope we play Bailly more because he's more straight forward in his passed and sends it straight back without taking another touch but i wish we can get another CB and a left back to back up Williams or a proper LB to get into the first XI because Shaw is not good, he hardly plays free flowing football and his crosses are below par. We desperately need a few additions and so i hope we get Sancho as early as possible or move on and get players like Kingsley Coman and get more players to improve our fringe quality. I really wish we get Declan Rice.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think he's worth what Dortmund are holding out for. As others have mentioned, next summer window and the other sharks are involved. If it weren't for our embarrassment in the market over the last 7 years, I think we'd just pay the stated price. But there's some image-sculpting going on and it's definitely not going to work.

Signing him now allows us to not only bed him in and lift the squad, but focus on other targets. With all this posturing, we can't be working on other deals.

This is not similar to Maguire. Sancho is worth the fee and he'll retain this value (or increase it) given his talent and age.

SER19

The fee is very high for a player who is still unproven in many ways. I hope city dont emerge with the success story in signing torres for cheap.

For me a fair comparison is sterling. A young English winger/front three attacker moving at a similar age. If he reached what sterling has at City would we be happy with the 120m? Sterling has 99 goals in 241 games with city.

Status
Not open for further replies.