Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Aren't you describing excellent coaching there? Isn't that more of a Dortmund thing - why our signings generally flop from there, once they come from a well coached team to our 'make it up on the spot' brand of football.
He's been like that at under-levels and away with England before he was on the radar for most of us. If you watch footage of him pre-Dortmund, you'll see it straight away - what he has with that snapshot memory and decision-making process is innate and just the way he sees and processes the people and problems around him.

Of course, you can argue coaching hones these senses and opens up the possibilities of what is and isn't on for people like him, but if that's the case, he's either an ace student or an idiot savant. I say this because someone like Ravel Morrison had 'it' and was absolutely stand out for being able to detect the optimal play in real time throughout his academic years despite his issues, but then you compare someone like him [Ravel] to someone like Iniesta, who aced La Masia and realised every sinew of his potential and you've got the other end of the scale and argument for it at least partially being coaching.

Anyway, whatever you want to call it, it wasn't Dortmund's doing, and I'd argue not City's either. Imo, he's one of those who is simply blessed with that vision and for my money will have the fastest problem-solving and processing mind at the club that just needs others to understand what they're working with and elevate their own concept of what's possible if they're brave with the relaying of the ball and movement off it.

Sancho can see the snapshot instantly, but that's not particularly meaningful in isolation; it's that he then has the technical ability to work with that situation and decisively make the best and most cutting decisions within the split-seconds where others are static and have not cottoned on to windows of opportunity, which he exemplifies with sudden slotted passes into open goal-scoring channels that weren't even on, seemingly.

That's also why it's brilliant how he can go to a walking pace, intentionally drawing double or triple teams, whilst already having schemed a way to not only take them out of the game, but effectively play a team-mate into the most probing positions - further to that, he himself doesn't marvel at his work, rather, he follows up and again makes himself available in a now wide open space as opposing defenders try to get their bearings back and figure out who they should go to from a spread pack. We'll have Martial, Bruno and occasionally Pogba and Rashford benefitting directly from this with clear goalscoring opportunities off easier-to-miss-than-score, gilt-edged assisting balls.

Sancho is one of those players who will expose those around him, however. If he's pinged the ball off of you, and you don't have it in you to relay it smoothly, you're going to look bad, but further to that, you're going to kill the build-up, and it won't take many of those scenarios for the discrepancy to be obvious to even those who don't want to come down on a player.

As long as we get enough of a pre-season in where the aforementioned players can get sessions in with Sancho, I don't believe we'll have much of an issue with them/it because each one of them has shown they have one and two touch combination play in them, and they're all keen and sharp off the ball movers when they feel opportunities are on (Martial is more lazy than unaware of where to go in a build-up), but I have reservations about Bissaka that I've mentioned in this thread already as he's going to be involved in so much more intricate play that is reliant on him being superfluous that, imo, it could be the making or breaking of him. Hakimi is like a Rolls Royce in the way he plays off of Sancho; I don't think Bissaka is capable of that, but I hope he can be a useful cog rather than a place build-up goes to die in the swift passing chains we should be marvelling at down the right flank.

RashyForPM

I want to trust you, Ed. I really do. I wish we could turn back the clock to the early days when I was young and optimistic about our life together, but I can't. You've let me down so many times that I just don't believe you any more. This is your last chance or I'm taking the kids and walking away from our life together.
Wtf :lol:

Fabrizio’s reported it though, so you and Eddy shall be happily together for the rest of time.

Alemar

Sancho can see the snapshot instantly, but that's not particularly meaningful in isolation; it's that he then has the technical ability to work with that situation and decisively make the best and most cutting decisions within the split-seconds where others are static and have not cottoned on to windows of opportunity, which he exemplifies with sudden slotted passes into open goal-scoring channels that weren't even on, seemingly.
What is important is that his talent and creativity will likely not be wasted. He will be surrounded by other very creative players with vision and mobility both in attack and midfield, not by Lukaku et al.

Skåre Willoch

He's been like that at under-levels and away with England before he was on the radar for most of us. If you watch footage of him pre-Dortmund, you'll see it straight away - what he has with that snapshot memory and decision-making process is innate and just the way he sees and processes the people and problems around him.

Of course, you can argue coaching hones these senses and opens up the possibilities of what is and isn't on for people like him, but if that's the case, he's either an ace student or an idiot savant. I say this because someone like Ravel Morrison had 'it' and was absolutely stand out for being able to detect the optimal play in real time throughout his academic years despite his issues, but then you compare someone like him [Ravel] to someone like Iniesta, who aced La Masia and realised every sinew of his potential and you've got the other end of the scale and argument for it at least partially being coaching.

Anyway, whatever you want to call it, it wasn't Dortmund's doing, and I'd argue not City's either. Imo, he's one of those who is simply blessed with that vision and for my money will have the fastest problem-solving and processing mind at the club that just needs others to understand what they're working with and elevate their own concept of what's possible if they're brave with the relaying of the ball and movement off it.

That's also why it's brilliant how he can go to a walking pace, intentionally drawing double or triple teams, whilst already having schemed a way to not only take them out of the game, but effectively play a team-mate into the most probing positions - further to that, he himself doesn't marvel at his work, rather, he follows up and again makes himself available in a now wide open space as opposing defenders try to get their bearings back and figure out who they should go to from a spread pack. We'll have Martial, Bruno and occasionally Pogba and Rashford benefitting directly from this with clear goalscoring opportunities off easier-to-miss-than-score, gilt-edged assisting balls.

Sancho is one of those players who will expose those around him, however. If he's pinged the ball off of you, and you don't have it in you to relay it smoothly, you're going to look bad, but further to that, you're going to kill the build-up, and it won't take many of those scenarios for the discrepancy to be obvious to even those who don't want to come down on a player.

As long as we get enough of a pre-season in where the aforementioned players can get sessions in with Sancho, I don't believe we'll have much of an issue with them/it because each one of them has shown they have one and two touch combination play in them, and they're all keen and sharp off the ball movers when they feel opportunities are on (Martial is more lazy than unaware of where to go in a build-up), but I have reservations about Bissaka that I've mentioned in this thread already as he's going to be involved in so much more intricate play that is reliant on him being superfluous that, imo, it could be the making or breaking of him. Hakimi is like a Rolls Royce in the way he plays off of Sancho; I don't think Bissaka is capable of that, but I hope he can be a useful cog rather than a place build-up goes to die in the swift passing chains we should be marvelling at down the right flank.
Very good post, sir!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Thank you for the break down on Sancho and now I’m really excited.

Agreed regarding AWB! Teams are doing it already, letting the ball go to him unmarked and saying ‘what can you do?’

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I want to trust you, Ed. I really do. I wish we could turn back the clock to the early days when I was young and optimistic about our life together, but I can't. You've let me down so many times that I just don't believe you any more. This is your last chance or I'm taking the kids and walking away from our life together.
ffs pidgy
:lol:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
@FCBarca post on Bluemoon

Isn't the Barca wages/revenue the highest in world football and I don't think he's accounted for Sanchez off the books.
I honestly remember this guy being quite likeable, did something happen?

Maybe he just likes being kind to the club that the forum he's on is dedicated to in order to feel liked?

Weird one.

arthurka

Found out im going to be a father a few days ago. Now we are signing Sancho and selling Sanchez for an actual fee.
If it wasnt for this whole global pandemic and the far right slowly taking over the world, 2020 wouldnt be that bad
Congratz man.. That's great news.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Found out im going to be a father a few days ago. Now we are signing Sancho and selling Sanchez for an actual fee.
If it wasnt for this whole global pandemic and the far right slowly taking over the world, 2020 wouldnt be that bad
Congratulations!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I had a dream last night. I was drinking JADe tea ON a SANdy beach with CHO from harry potter. I'm sure that means something.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
For this kind of great decision making it takes more than only the player. The whole structure of positions and movements of the entire squad has to be well executed and the players got to have this in their minds. Of course there are moments, especially in the final third on a counter (just to name one example), where its up on the instinct of the player. But also then a player is not alone on the pitch and only structure and plans leads to these situations in the first place. In addition, the player needs advice to a certain extend, so that he is "free" to make his decisions in these boundaries, even in chaotic like counterplays or some similar situations.
You’re missing the point. I’m not disputing the fact that systems springboard players. But it’s quite clearly an inherent level of ability to get 12 goals and 14 assists in 32 matches at the age of 18.

If it was simply systems, we’d have more and more players doing that. The “system” didn’t change to make Mason Greenwood score 14 more goals than Dan James from the same position and about the same number of matches. That’s innate talent.

EDIT: @Fortitude has basically explained the point in much more depth and comprehension.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
A bit of a risky game that, especially knowing how we negotiate. A bit like trying to fart past a turd without shitting yourself.
Yeah ignore this I was sent a photo of the Adidas website which had Sancho 7 as an option, looked at it myself and he isn’t there.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Actually thought Fjortoft came across reasonably well when he spoke to Goldbridge.

Anustart89

Its the only thing that pisses me off in this move. Dortmund hoover up top young talent and give them game time in systems where they can thrive. Then they offload and pocket mucho dinero. It almost seems cynical. I look forward to skipping the middle man in the future. I know Jadon is a big talent but like Dembele its a lot of risk relative to the price whereas we scooped up Fernandes for 40million. That is the type of business that is win win. Now if Jadon happens to become a truly dominant player then none of us will give a damn but in general it is not a strategy I feel comfortable with.
Well, what can you do when the talent actually goes for that, well working model? We were in for Sancho when he left City bit he chose Dortmund. We were in for Haaland but he chose Dortmund. We were in for Bellingham but he chose Dortmund, presumably because they have a good track record when it comes to nurturing and developing young players.

Terminator

@FCBarca post on Bluemoon

Isn't the Barca wages/revenue the highest in world football and I don't think he's accounted for Sanchez off the books.
City literally got all their players through money pre 2014, it's not like they any history. And how does 15% even matter to them, FFP doesn't mean anything and clearly it's like emptying a bottle of water into an ocean. :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
How long do the advanced negotiations generally take and what even is advanced negotiations?

My anxiety is growing as my penis deflates.

Feck sake.

ColvaleGoa

How are our rivals fans reacting to this transfer? Are they being sour as usual or they concede defeat right from the start that we are a more financially stable club?
Sancho had been branded a Btech Redmond by some sections of fans. So I guess it is going down well.

Goku23

Its going to be a long few days cant wait for Friday everything is telling me thats announcement day

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
A lot of media sources are saying it's almost done, only a matter of agreeing a fee with Dortmund.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
How long do the advanced negotiations generally take and what even is advanced negotiations?

My anxiety is growing as my penis deflates.

Feck sake.
Advanced negotiations mean that Woodward has informed them that he likes two sugars with his coffee and only eats regular digestives over a zoom call.

Status
Not open for further replies.