Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I don't believe the briefs regarding this to be honest, It happens all the time regarding United signings.
If I had time I'd look this up, but yeah it happens all the time - the question is what has it meant before? Should we expect this to drag on or would they make that press brief and then go on to sign the player not long after?

I'm not worried about whether or not we're getting Sancho, it's obviously a question of when. I'd hate having to wait weeks until this is sorted though, my productivity at work is terrible at the moment.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Yeah it's pretty stupid tbh.

If you really want him just pay the fecking price, tbh I had enough of this.

The whole point of this walking way strategy is to make the seller believe that you'd really walk away and have another target. Does anyone here believe we'd walk away? Me no, we'll end up paying exactly what they've been asking. Just a month or so later.
Agreed, it's probably very pointless. If I was in charge I'd put up loads of rumours about us being close to signing some other right winger like Zaha just to make it look more plausible. It's so obvious we're desperate for Sancho and we'll pay the 120 million euros sooner or later.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Relax guys it's going to happen

I mean as far as I know the 10th August deadline has only been called via the press, officials have not hard comitted to it by drawing that line themselves, but the date wasn't chosen arbitrarily, it represents the point when their pre season gets serious, with team building, tactical training and (more) meaningful friendlies. After that date the cost of selling Sancho goes up with every day and Dortmund have already made one bad very experience in that regard with Dembele. So if Woodward tries to let them stew a bit and comes back in 3 weeks then Dortmund might have decided by then that selling would be too disruptive to their season.

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Loved the feeling as a kid, just woken, finding out via Teletext or the newspaper, that United signed somebody out of the blue.
I remember when you signed Andy Cole from Newcastle, I found out from the back page of the Sun on the way to work, had no idea it was coming and was genuinely massively surprised by it. You're right transfers were much better like that!

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
It's so hilariously typical that the journalists briefed by the club would fall back on fully committing to the brief by saying it's negotiation tactics. Shows just how much they rely on info from the club rather than any other sources. They don't have a clue.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Seems to me people just get bend out of shape because it's us. There's no harm in trying. Covid offers up a very different landscape. They'd be fools not to try to lower it. Except we did get a better fee, right?
Who knows what the final fees are? I don’t really have an issue with what Woodward is doing because we’ll end up with Sancho anyway. There is no harm in trying but nevertheless, I think it has a counter productive effect, as you look at Twitter and I think it’s a good gauge for a thought process of your average mentalist fan these days and you see that they’re losing their minds about not getting this done ASAP. Heck there was a poster from here who rang talksport last night to reassure fans that this will get done.

crossy1686

career ending
Glad to see you think Woodward can get anything done in week... takes him longer to tie his shoe laces. And also pleased you think you know Dortmund better than Dortmund know Dortmund. Are you Ed, by any chance? :devil:
I never said he could get it done in a week but I'm also mature enough to realise brokering the largest transfer deal the club has ever done in a post COVID market, with no idea of how it will clearly affect our finances yet takes a little bit of time. It's not as literal as popping down to the shops and buying a loaf of bread at the asking price as you're casually putting it. Your posts in this thread have been absolutely horrendous, you should have some time off from this transfer, it's obviously getting to you at this point if you've got to target abuse at the man who's getting the deal done...

Bondi77

I thought we got Bruno for 47mil with add ons while Sporting wanted 65-70mil so it was not the same as the Maguire deal where we coughed up what Leicester wanted.

crossy1686

career ending
It's so hilariously typical that the journalists briefed by the club would fall back on fully committing to the brief by saying it's negotiation tactics. Shows just how much they rely on info from the club rather than any other sources. They don't have a clue.
Well, they do have a clue, they're also aware that they're a pawn in the transfer saga. They'll be fully aware of the situation but what they post is always going to be something beneficial for United and in return they'll get the scoops when he signs

Paxi

Well obviously, you can't just immediately hand over the asking fee. You'll be taken for a mug every single time if you do that.
Which is what the perception of Woodward is. It doesn’t help when some of the noises from our past managers are negative in regards to him. Personally, I don’t think he’s that bad. I just don’t see the need for him to try to rectify that perception. He’s missed out on Bellingham and Haaland which were always going to be hard to secure but other than that I’d say he has improved.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is Woodward negotiating the deal? Going by his interviews and few reports it's Matt Judge and usually clubs use middle man to negotiate these deals.

Matt6677

Can someone explain how the signing of Sancho will help the development of Mason Greenwood?

Greenwood has earned a spot in the starting 11 but he is likely to be put on the bench after this signing

Wouldn't blame the kid if he makes a transfer request

Ridiculous

Compton22

Well, they do have a clue, they're also aware that they're a pawn in the transfer saga. They'll be fully aware of the situation but what they post is always going to be something beneficial for United and in return they'll get the scoops when he signs
I know that, but the club is pretty much their Only source of information. That and from people who do have sources close to deals so no, they don't have a clue about what is actually happening if they are being briefed something different to that.

crossy1686

career ending
Which is what the perception of Woodward is. It doesn’t help when some of the noises from our past managers are negative in regards to him. Personally, I don’t think he’s that bad. I just don’t see the need for him to try to rectify that perception. He’s missed out on Bellingham and Haaland which were always going to be hard to secure but other than that I’d say he has improved.
I think it's hard to blame him for the failure to land some of those players, all he can really do is offer a salary that fits in the squad and negotiate a transfer fee. For the two you mentioned he did his job but they were sold on the Dortmund project. It's the job of the manager, scouts and agents to sell the club and culture to the players we want to sign. Haaland and Bellingham believed Dortmund was a better option for them, not because we wouldn't pay them silly money but for career progression.

AneRu

Who knows what the final fees are? I don’t really have an issue with what Woodward is doing because we’ll end up with Sancho anyway. There is no harm in trying but nevertheless, I think it has a counter productive effect, as you look at Twitter and I think it’s a good gauge for a thought process of your average mentalist fan these days and you see that they’re losing their minds about not getting this done ASAP. Heck there was a poster from here who rang talksport last night to reassure fans that this will get done.
The problem is we have history for blowing deals of this nature where we overplay our hand and are left with an egg on our face. We have tried this haggling thing before and it didn't work so it's difficult to see us succeeding when we are basically cornered, we have made it clear for nearly two years that we want him and him only.

We also have so much to do wrt other deals and I think most of them are hinging on us completing this deal. We know that Dortmund will only sell on their own terms as Dembele's sale attests to. So I think the best we can hope for on this deal is spreading the installments so as to have funds left over for other areas but there little chance of them budging on the fee.

Paxi

Is Woodward negotiating the deal? Going by his interviews and few reports it's Matt Judge and usually clubs use middle man to negotiate these deals.
He gets the abuse ultimately though. We could have a DoF and Woodward would still get abuse. He can’t win but he should know that and it’s part of the parcel of football. What makes you good is winning. Levy was a genius when spurs had Poch, now he’s back to being an idiot.

The perception is wrong. We are the best run football business on the planet, our valuation of players is definitely different from most other clubs and that's why we lose out on players that dont fit that brief. It's also why we're able to look at 100m transfers in this environment without the aid of a sugar daddy.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He gets the abuse ultimately though. We could have a DoF and Woodward would still get abuse. He can’t win but he should know that and it’s part of the parcel of football. What makes you good is winning. Levy was a genius when spurs had Poch, now he’s back to being an idiot.
Yes, when you win you can build any narrative.

Ultimately Woodward runs the club, so he gets the criticism. IMO he did well to back all the managers but people would argue the managers were wrong choice.

Compton22

Christian Falk suggesting there are no bonuses, just instalment.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Kristoff Terreur has said “Briefings: also part of a transfer saga.
Game on.”

There is no way in hell this deal isn’t going through.

crossy1686

career ending
I know that, but the club is pretty much their Only source of information. That and from people who do have sources close to deals so no, they don't have a clue about what is actually happening if they are being briefed something different to that.
They're being briefed on what to write but they know the inner workings of the transfer, look at Stone's story yesterday on the BBC, the last line was: "Although very unlikely, United are willing to walk away and focus on other targets if needed".

There's no need for the 'unlikely' if he hadn't been told the deal will most likely still go ahead. Sport Bild are posting the same stuff but bigging up Dortmund's side instead, they all know what's going on, it's just posturing.

Put it this way, there's no way Stone doesn't know what's happening and Romano does, who's most likely getting his information from Falke at Sport Bild.

UncleBob

Not entirely sure how you ended up with the notion that he missed out on Bellingham and Haaland.

In terms of the Sancho deal, we're talking about an insane fee of around £108mill, it should hardly be a fecking surprise to anyone that there's going to be a discussion about how such a deal should be structured and that there's obviously going to be a difference in opinion.

Paxi

The problem is we have history for blowing deals of this nature where we overplay our hand and are left with an egg on our face. We have tried this haggling thing before and it didn't work so it's difficult to see us succeeding when we are basically cornered, we have made it clear for nearly two years that we want him and him only.

We also have so much to do wrt other deals and I think most of them are hinging on us completing this deal. We know that Dortmund will only sell on their own terms as Dembele's sale attests to. So I think the best we can hope for on this deal is spreading the installments so as to have funds left over for other areas but there little chance of them budging on the fee.
Do we? I can’t remember many times that we blew our chance to sign someone. We’ve vetoed deals on Mourinho, we’ve had scatter gun approach with during Moyes era. I don’t even fecking know what happened to Herrera deal and those lawyers. I can’t remember a time where we overplayed our hand though.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Well obviously, you can't just immediately hand over the asking fee. You'll be taken for a mug every single time if you do that.
And yet, here we are, seeing people suggesting we 'just pay up.'

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
So who would you lot say is the most similar player to Sancho in terms of playing style?

Hazard? Sterling? Perhaps a combination of the two?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's no different to what Dortmund are doing. In fact, Dortmund are significantly more obvious in their machinations than we ever are. Zorc comes out with the 'hes not for sale' malarky every window. We see posturing over transfers with every club.

Rajma

Not sure Dortmund can take 70-60M hit on Sancho by keeping him for another year imo. We have an upper hand in these negotiations, especially, during the covid times.

Status
Not open for further replies.