Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

Don't City stand to make £15m from this transfer? I'm sure United would rather not have to give them the money. Surely us playing add-ons over installments mean the transfer fee is lower and City get less?
Their assistant manager probably has that lying around his couch somewhere. £15M means nothing to City

AneRu

Awarding that length & value of contract on someone of his age was fraught with risk. Only since Ole has arrived has our transfer policy shown some long term vision.
It was risky and it badly backfired but I don't think anyone would argue that they expected to be that bad. We are talking of a 35 goals plus assist player that literally turned into Lingard overnight.

Thepinhead

Your argument makes sense but covid doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon. I'm just thinking financially. I wouldn't be sad if we bought him, honestly :lol:
True but governments are better prepared now with testing and tracking the virus so I don't think we will see complete lockdowns like the ones that happened earlier. So I doubt football is going to be paused and the last thing people are selling is their TV and smartphone if they get fired :lol:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Donno, not necessarily someone we know and is extremely high profile.

Some of our best signings have been low key out of the blue players like Chicharito, Vidic, Evra, Park, Tevez, etc. All of these players were relatively cheap and provided much more to the team than overpaid stars we have signed in recent years like Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku, etc.
This one feels more like the Rooney type. Big fee but the perfect fit with his whole career ahead of him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The Premier League club aren’t yet prepared to pay €120m, and negotiations continue via intermediaries. Marco Lichtsteiner, the brother of former Arsenal player Stephan, is involved.

SportBild report he’s worked for Dortmund previously on transfers, such as the Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Ousmane Dembele sales. He’s a ‘longstanding partner’ of Emeka Obasi, who has helped manage Sancho’s career.

The German magazine states: ‘Most of the time, Lichtsteiner acts as a link between associations and consultants in negotiations, but always stays in the background. Despite his well-known brother, he almost never appears in public. Now Lichtsteiner is supposed to mediate in Sancho-Poker between United and BVB.’

Borussia Dortmund will accept instalments, but it’s increasingly clear they want the €120m guaranteed and not have a chunk of it made up by bonuses.

Should Manchester United accept that, then there’s no barrier to the deal being done.
http://sportwitness.co.uk/signs-goodbye-man-united-tough-negotiations-signing/

YAMS49

It was risky and it badly backfired but I don't think anyone would argue that they expected to be that bad. We are talking of a 35 goals plus assist player that literally turned into Lingard overnight.
Agree with you on that, yes. Turned very sour very quickly. Certainly unforeseen. I doubt Ole would have had him on his target list.

sp_107

We need someone with good negotiation skills. We always play hard and delay it but in the end we pay the same amount they initially quoted or more.

Like the way Man-city do their business, I really hope we will have some one like that.

TsuWave

I'd walk away tbh. Its too much, I'm sure we can find an alternative.
United fans love worrying about money that isn’t theirs instead of wanting quality players.

End up with a bunch of alternatives that don’t move the needle performance wise, but get to talk about how we saved money.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I don't really buy into the "briefing the press" as a means to help the negotiation.

If Man United want Dortmund to know that they're prepared to walk away from the deal (or vice versa), they'll tell them, not shyly ask some footy "journalist" to pass on the message.

The leaks are to manage expectations from everyone not involved in the negotiations.
Bingo.

Judas

Open to offers
We need someone with good negotiation skills. We always play hard and delay it but in the end we pay the same amount they initially quoted or more.

Like the way Man-city do their business, I really hope we will have some one like that.
How come we paid less than what Sporting wanted for Bruno? Does that not suit your narrative?

City do their business by being crooked. No thank you.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yea, I get what you're saying. But with briefings going out, it not only gets the fans interacting, but media outlets too. If we stay quiet, not much the media can write about but just make up stories...which of late it seems to be really irritating the club.
The media part isn't exactly true, they don't need briefings to get stories and it definitely doesn't have to be part of a strategy from the club. The main source for stories are agents themselves, that's why the likes of Di Marzio spend a lot of time in Monaco during that period of the year, that's where most prominents agents are and where you get infos that you then verify with official sources such as clubs press officers. Also a club like United doesn't need to manufacture stories in order to be talked about on a daily basis, the only reason you see periodic briefings is to interact with fans because when clubs don't do it while a rival club signs or is linked to a player it's always the same story about how nothing good ever happens to the club we support or how X is better at signing players than Y. In this era of "overinformation", silence is always negatively interpreted.

TheReligion

Abusive
United fans love worrying about money that isn’t theirs instead of wanting quality players.

End up with a bunch of alternatives that don’t move the needle performance wise, but get to talk about how we saved money.
It is my money. I have a membership. That said I'm happy to spend it so ignore the moaning cnuts and get me another credit card.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Some of our best signings have been low key out of the blue players like Chicharito, Vidic, Evra, Park, Tevez, etc. All of these players were relatively cheap and provided much more to the team than overpaid stars we have signed in recent years like Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku, etc.
How can you include Tevez on that list? Then you have the likes of Dalot, Darmian, Rojo, Powell, Buttner etc. which have been a complete wastes of money, while big names like Rio, Berba, Bruno etc have all been enormously successful.

We aren't just paying for potential as you've said, we're paying for someone that has already been enormously successful in one of the best leagues in the world. He's someone we've wanted to sign for several years, who will have zero problems with settling, learning the culture or the language. He's the best right sided attacker available. That's why we are having to pay a premium. He's far less of a risk than if we spent £20m on an unknown who might well end up costing us valuable points next season.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Good PR is getting the deal done. Winning a major trophy is the best PR. Manipulating the fans opinions regarding how the transfer is performed is useless. Even our poor dumb Woody understands that :)
You're actually very wrong.

Since the briefing last night, Sancho has been the topic of conversation for all Man Utd fans on Twitter. This is even more so than before when everything looked like it was plain sailing. This is a win in the eyes of the shareholders. Any tweet put out by the official account today will have higher interactions just for the simple fact that people want news on Sancho.

Having high social interactions is very important for sponsors and shareholders.

TsuWave

Man called Tevez “lowkey out of the blue” :lol:

bsCallout

I don't really buy into the "briefing the press" as a means to help the negotiation.

If Man United want Dortmund to know that they're prepared to walk away from the deal (or vice versa), they'll tell them, not shyly ask some footy "journalist" to pass on the message.

The leaks are to manage expectations from everyone not involved in the negotiations.
They're not 'leaks'. They're stories.

Sanchez contract will end to free up no.7.

Sancho will be confirmed on the 7th wearing the 7.

Anything until then is to drum up social interaction and media attention.

This deal has been done for a while.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd walk away tbh. Its too much, I'm sure we can find an alternative.
Compare his stats to any player at the same age. Sanchos output is insane for his age. We might find a cheaper alternative but no way are they the same calibre of player. I don't even think the fee is that bad honestly.

red thru&thru

The media part isn't exactly true, they don't need briefings to get stories and it definitely doesn't have to be part of a strategy from the club. The main source for stories are agents themselves, that's why the likes of Di Marzio spend a lot of time in Monaco during that period of the year, that's where most prominents agents are and where you get infos that you then verify with official sources such as clubs press officers. Also a club like United doesn't need to manufacture stories in order to be talked about on a daily basis, the only reason you see periodic briefings is to interact with fans because when clubs don't do it while a rival club signs or is linked to a player it's always the same story about how nothing good ever happens to the club we support or how X is better at signing players than Y. In this era of "overinformation", silence is always negatively interpreted.
This is why I said United getting more and more annoyed about fake briefings. So you're correct, they don't need to manufacture stories.

The media part is very true. They need the media, as it fits in with United's commercial and marketing opportunities. So they will work with them. This is clearly evident with their recent relationship with Alibaba.

Smithy89

Why are some saying back out and go for someone else, like it's their personal money at stake :lol: Never understood that thought process from a fan.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just watched all of his 42 goals and assists this season, what impresses me most is his balance, and manipulation of the ball.

He would honestly have a field day with this united team when Martial, Bruno, and Rashford are at full flight.

But we don't though, we already have outgoing monthly payments from previous transfers and out incoming monthly payments are only sponsors at the moment so we don't know how much we can afford to pay entirely at this moment in time. Paying €70m up front is a hell of a lot of money, especially if we have other targets this window also. I'm sure United are willing to meet Dortmunds asking price but the disagreement is how and when the payments should be made. United want as many installments as possible and Dortmnud want as much up front as possible. Finding the balance that United can afford, without meaning out summer spending is over and what Dortmund will accept so they can replace Sancho is the sticking point.
Of course we know how much we have to spend. We have teams of accountants whose job is to set budgets, and once we've come to an agreement with Dortmund it's not a big deal to send the money.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We were clearly in for those two and they ended up elsewhere — we missed out. And that’s fine, it happens all the time. I don’t think we needed to plant stories that Bellingham wanted too much money, or that Riola wanted too much money like we did. We all know that’s not true.

We paid Mino a huge chunk in Pogba deal and we’ve offered 30k to Gomes whom, albeit a talent, only started a few games for us and hence I don’t see a problem with the 55k a week Bellingham would have wanted. Considering we were willing to drop 30 million quid on him in the first place.

Problem is, people will blame Ed Woodward for every transfer that doesn’t go through.
Just wanted to point out that Juve were the ones who had to pay Raiola in that deal. They agreed to that clause when Pogba first joined them, that they would pass on a certain percentage of any future sale to his agent. Juve briefly tried to get us to pay it as well and we told them where to stick it as it wasn't anything to do with us. So we paid them the 89m that Pogba was worth and then they had to give something like 22m of that to Raiola.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

Just watched all of his 42 goals and assists this season, what impresses me most is his balance, and manipulation of the ball.

He would honestly have a field day with this united team when Martial, Bruno, and Rashford are at full flight.
While also having Greenwood ready to deputize at any of the forward positions at any times is also a mouthwatering prospect :drool:

Would be an absolute nightmare for opposing backlines if the club pulls it off

Strelok

How come we paid less than what Sporting wanted for Bruno? Does that not suit your narrative?

City do their business by being crooked. No thank you.
Think about the few millions we saved and how our season would have been if we signed him not by Jan but Aug. And it's largely because Sporting was in some financial trouble that they lowered their price. Imo we'll end up paying exactly what they quoted.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Man utd tweet Jadon Sancho is a United player pending medical.

Redcafe: what does it mean though?

Rajma

What guarantee is that that they will take a 60m hit next season. Next season many clubs would have recovered financially and some, Chelsea for example, would have finished strengthening on the areas they needed to prioritize this season and might be more willing to spend close to £70m to £90 on him.

I know we should try to get as low a fee as possible because that £20m could very well sign another important player from the lower leagues but it shouldn't be at the expense of antagonizing the selling club or the player.

The way Dortmund are willing to structure the deal also makes it less of a financial hit because after this summer we shouldn't need significant investment in the playing squad for a couple of years if we get a couple of players in.
No club will pay the quoted sums next summer knowing that in just 6 months you can secure his signature for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.