Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenith

Woodward is just being himself and after finally buying himself some credit, he's gone ahead and thrown it all away.

He knew the price for Sancho all along, he did the right thing by trying to negotiate but when it was clear that Dortmund will not budge, then why dither so much.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Right, sack off Sancho. Let's just win the Premier League and Champions league this season, impress Mbappe and then sign him up next Summer.

Easy.

cyberman

Yo
We are "the biggest club in the world" in the same way Budweiser is "the king of beers".
We have been an embarrassment since SAF's last game, 5-5, against fecking Albion.
You cant downplay the size of the club because youre going through a bout of self hate for United.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
No information as to why Dortmund have not completed the move which will facilitate Sancho to United.

If Dortmund fail to complete negotiations for a Sancho replacement by COP Friday, it is expected we will move for Brooks. A deal is all but oven-ready.
Please stop this nonsense it if you don't want to be thread banned.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Is he bad at calculations? That is 108M when we add those numbers up together
I was alluding to the idea that they don't want it where a big chunk is coming over the next 2-3 years. My view is that they are in a strong position to get either all the money now 108 million or to wait until next summer where it is highly unlikely his price will go down at all and may even go up. At worst, they get 3 more seasons out of a top class young player and he goes for nothing but they still have had 3 years where they might be better placed to win something with him in their team.

They paid next to nothing for him in the first place so they have nothing really substantial to lose by playing hardball.

It's a bit like if I have this amazing looking wife and you offer us a million for one night with her but we discuss it and decide we want 5 million. You say no, and I'm still there with my gorgeous wife hardly feeling like a loser in life.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I was alluding to the idea that they don't want it where a big chunk is coming over the next 2-3 years. My view is that they are in a strong position to get either all the money now 108 million or to wait until next summer where it is highly unlikely his price will go down at all and may even go up. At worst, they get 3 more seasons out of a top class young player and he goes for nothing but they still have had 3 years where they might be better placed to win something with him in their team.

They paid next to nothing for him in the first place so they have nothing really substantial to lose by playing hardball.

It's a bit like if I have this amazing looking wife and you offer us a million for one night with her but we discuss it and decide we want 5 million. You say no, and I'm still there with my gorgeous wife hardly feeling like a loser in life.
But she walks away from you after 3 years to him anyway and you get nothing instead of the million you could have taken.
Next
Just joking

RC89

People turning on Sancho before he's even kicked a ball for us? Sounds about right for this place.

Fridge chutney

This deal is dying (if it wasn't ready dead).

Odds are swinging back to him staying at Dortmund according to the bookies.

Hopefully we at least sign a CB and lock Pogba down long-term.

Godfather

Ouch

To be honest we got Bruno fee down but still this is making a deal less likely
Nice way to spin it. We simply don't have the money. Said it all along. Who firmly believed we could splash out 105 million pounds after spending money on the Dutch fella already was dreaming.

That we didn't move on from Sancho long time ago shows that we don't plan to bring in anyone else either.

Godfather

Game over I’d say. Don’t understand why we wasted so much time.
Well we showed great intent by going for one of the best young wingers out there that we were never going to be able to afford but trying is everything. Just as we are going to try an challenge for the title next season with a squad barely good enough to make top 4

Ventura

The most important part of this saga is achieved, 1k pages of nothing. Now it's time to let it go.

Fiasco

“You don’t track a player for 2/3+ years, agree terms with the player, know what his parent club want for the player, and then walk away last minute. Until Fabrizio Romano says that a deal is off, then I’m still confident that Jadon Sancho will be a Man United player this season.”

Saw this tweet, pretty sums up my thoughts so far on the Sancho situation

Source @Vintage_Utd

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I'm starting to think today wasn't a brief, merely a guessing on the current situation due to lack of reports etc. If it was a full blown brief, lots more reporters would have said something by now.

Maybe the brief will come later, but I dont see United ending this until they know for definite that they won't get him. They won't give up all this work until the last moment I bet, which is stupidity. I'm still betting this is Woodwards last roll of the dice before walking away with about a week to go, or coughing up and paying what Dortmund want.

Shark

@NotShark
Well we showed great intent by going for one of the best young wingers out there that we were never going to be able to afford but trying is everything. Just as we are going to try an challenge for the title next season with a squad barely good enough to make top 4
We're morphing into the new Arsenal.

Ronaldo's Love Child

The frustrating thing is that Dortmund have probably never changed their stance on Sancho. Whatever they "may" accept OR reject now would have been the same a few months ago.

I sometimes try to think of excuses why Woodward struggles to secure primary targets in a timely fashion but I really don't think it is as over complicated as we make it out to be.

Dortmund will have put a price on Sancho's head. We would/should have tested Dortmund's resolve in holding out for that price. At some point it would become obvious whether they would negotiate down or stubbornly refuse to move.

Reactions: Sultan

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
If the club is feeling like that then they should have walked away a month ago and strengthened the squad instead with the Sancho money.

There is two explanations for not doing this.

1) We have no intention of spending any more money this summer.

2) We are still actively pursuing Sancho.

I believe it is the second option.

The club has had multiple chances to kill this saga dead in its tracks. But they haven’t. Stringing the fans along with a fake pursuit is just cruel. The Glazers/Woodward are businessmen, not sadists.
I think there is a third (fairly likely) alternative.

The club is unwilling/unable to spend more than X on Sancho (where X is substantially less than 120m euro). But their preference would be to buy Sancho for X and they are still uncertain whether Dortmund might relent if they bid X close to the deadline. So that uncertainty is one good reason not to kill the saga dead by declaring the Sancho pursuit over.

Meanwhile, the club is negotiating for other players like a LB and another RW and in those negotiations a lot of their leverage comes from the prospect of withdrawing from the deal to buy Sancho instead. That is a second good reason not to kill the saga dead.

In this scenario, things end with United bidding X for Sancho sometime in the next couple weeks, if BvB relents then great, if not they buy the other players at decent prices that they have negotiated hard for with maximum leverage.

I don't know if that is what will happen but it wouldn't be a bad way to play the cards if you are Woodward and the Glazers have imposed a budget on you that does not allow for spending 120m on Sancho.

romufc

I'm starting to think today wasn't a brief, merely a guessing on the current situation due to lack of reports etc. If it was a full blown brief, lots more reporters would have said something by now.
BBC, Men, Sky Sports, Telegraph.. all saying the same thing.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
The owners think that the team we already have is capable of achieving top 4 and maybe , mayyybe get a small trophy. That for them is enough and we have to get used to it.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Woodward isn't up to scratch but this is on the owners, they sign the cheques. End of the day the club ambition is to continually qualify for the Champions League, this is the best business model. Challenging for titles is too expensive nowadays for the Glazer family.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Under Fergie we would never have been so desperate to sign a player.

Shows how low we have fallen as an institution, hoping for miracles that are not even miracles.

Chief123

It seems hypocritial - and is tbf - given that we wouldn't want one of our players to do it...but if he won't force a move, then it seems we have very little chance at this point of making a breakthrough.

It's been commonplace in almost every huge transfer over recent years. Ronaldo, Neymar, Dembele, Coutinho, Griezmann, Van Dijk and Hazard all forced their moves through to varying degrees. If he's genuinely desperate to play here, he knows what to do.

If not, we'll likely have more options next summer with so many huge names looking likely to be on the move...and there might be one or two talents who take steps up too. Neres, Chiesa, ASM etc could have breakout seasons. Barca could go full Barca and decide to sell Trincao - as seemed possible at one point this summer. A lot of things can happen in a year.
Can you imagine a summer where Sancho, Mbappe, Haaland and Andy Fati become available!

United58

The club is unwilling/unable to spend more than X on Sancho (where X is substantially less than 120m euro). But their preference would be to buy Sancho for X and they are still uncertain whether Dortmund might relent if they bid X close to the deadline. So that uncertainty is one good reason not to kill the saga dead by declaring the Sancho pursuit over.

Meanwhile, the club is negotiating for other players like a LB and another RW and in those negotiations a lot of their leverage comes from the prospect of withdrawing from the deal to buy Sancho instead. That is a second good reason not to kill the saga dead.

In this scenario, things end with United bidding X for Sancho sometime in the next couple weeks, if BvB relents then great, if not they buy the other players at decent prices that they have negotiated hard for with maximum leverage.

I don't know if that is what will happen but it wouldn't be a bad way to play the cards if you are Woodward and the Glazers have imposed a budget on you that does not allow for spending 120m on Sancho.
I think this is likely too, and there'll be drama quite late on

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

I also think its this third option. Ive been saying all along that our financial situation simply cannot accommodate BVB demands, and yet we desperately want the player AND BVB want to sell: so this will go down to the wire, and everything else is negotiating, until 2 days out, when we will switch to loan targets.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Under Fergie we would never have been so desperate to sign a player.

Shows how low we have fallen as an institution, hoping for miracles that are not even miracles.
There were sagas under Ferguson too. The difference is that we would have usually concluded other deals alongside it.

Marcus

I want United to buy Sancho. If the club goes into financial difficulties, the Glazers will have to sell up. Win - win. Buy him Woody!

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
If we don't sign him this season after him supposedly saying he wants to come to us, what's the chances of him saying no to us next season?

As in him saying "I wasn't worth the cost to you last year, now I'm off elsewhere"? Not sure to be fair but maybe that's what Ole is worried about?

Status
Not open for further replies.