Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsCallout

okay i'll bite - Is Sancho, a 20 year old, really worth this kind of hype and money?
It is exactly because he is 20 that he is worth this.

He is one of the most prolific players in the world, at 20.

He will get better and 120 million over a 10 year MU career is only 12mil per year. That is a bargain for a player of his quality.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Even Mr Bundesliga is saying their might be a breakdown between Dortmund and Sancho if he’s not sold this year.

"Image!Dortmund:"
"Dortmund can lose face"
"Man UTD need players that excite fans. A global club needs players to match that image"

I can't take his analysis seriously due to those three sentences.

luke511

okay i'll bite - Is Sancho, a 20 year old, really worth this kind of hype and money?
If he stayed at Man City and made the same development as he has at Dortmund, City wouldn't sell him for £200 million, so yes he is worth the amount Dortmund's asking for, and then some.

ChaddyP

Do you think it isn't true (the price isn't negotiated and a compromise on both sides)? Or you think it isn't worth it (saving millions of pounds)?
I think we do negotiate. But not as much as we make it seem. I think it is worth it because it sets precedent and obviously saves the club money

Walters_19_MuFc

If this doesn't go through, do we get a stop-gap and wait for next year, or do we continue with using Greenwood as a starter, with James and Mata as backups?

Terminator

If this doesn't go through, do we get a stop-gap and wait for next year, or do we continue with using Greenwood as a starter, with James and Mata as backups?
If James and Mata are our only immediate backups, we atleast know where our ambitions lie. :lol:

manuchamp88

The most United thing we could do is buy Grealish instead at an over-inflated price and play him out of position.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I used to respect Dortmund a lot in former years honestly, especially under the likes of Klopp, they had some special teams but in recent years I stop feeling that way about them.

Now I feel Dortmund are just a footballing version of a car showroom, they play a nice system of attacking football and then sell a player for 70M+ after the season is over and bring in a replacement.
What's wrong with that? It's essentially how Ajax do it - albeit with less emphasis on their youth teams.

How else could the maintain being relatively competitive without selling out in order to make up obvious gaps with Bayern?

padzilla

Hipster
Isn't Dortmund's whole business model based on buying young talent and selling them on at huge profits? They are playing hardball but we should call their bluff.

Walters_19_MuFc

The most United thing we could do is buy Grealish instead at an over-inflated price and play him out of position.
Don't think Grealish will go for the rumoured 80M. It'd be unfair for Villa to put that big of a price tag, knowing most teams won't spend that on him (hopefully that includes us).

If he's around 40-50M, I would certainly buy him, and although he's not a right-winger, he has played there in the past and this season, and could adopt the role of a roaming playmaker. Our front three/four seems to be quite fluid anyway.

Esquire

not a fact at all. Dortmund has squeezed a lot of money out of other clubs too for the likes of Dembele ... they know what they are doing in that department. I know it's popular to shit on Woodward, but the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Chelsea are facing the same fight with Leverkusen over Havertz.
I completely agree with you. If this deal falls through because we don’t want to pay the asking price, I wouldn’t blame Ed. It’s clearly a seller’s market for Sancho and BvB is not under any pressure to sell. So either pay the asking price or move on. Now what Ed can be blamed for is if he can’t land the second or third options.

Utd7

This scenario IMO is realistic and concerns me. Especially when you consider the Coman links don’t seem valid. Why would Munich sell?

padzilla

Hipster
Sancho should slap in a transfer request. Why do players seldom do that these days?

Cliche Guevara

Robbie Savage couldn't predict his next bowel movement.

In fairness the Norwegian has got that prediction spot on at a time where nobody would have expected Ole to get a sniff at the United job.
He posted that on the night Molde won their second league title in a row under Ole. He had been United reserves manager prior to that so one of his mates making that leap isn’t that prescient I wouldn’t say.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Sancho should slap in a transfer request. Why do players seldom do that these days?
loyalty bonus!

whatever about haggling for a few million off sancho as long as we get him. if this is the only deal we are working on then it’s more of the same flawed approach no? Whatever about making mistakes at the start of his time here but surely Ed and co should be learning fast. It doesn’t feel that way to me.

Manny

Grammar Police
Dortmund are still living in a Dembele to Barca la la land so we are being asked to pay finished article money for an up and coming talent.

Someone needs to sit them down and explain that they lucked out with the Barca shitting the bed, Neymar, PSG, Dembele episode.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Dortmund are living in a Dembele to Barca la la land so we are being asked to pay finished article money for an up and coming talent.

Someone needs to sit them down and explain that they lucked out with the Barca shitting the bed, Neymar, PSG, Dembele episode.
You pay for special talents though, Mbappe was big money when he is far from the finished article he was 19 years old (€180M) , Sancho is 20 and they want a €120M fee.

Big clubs pay big money for young talents, the same goes for Havertz.

Esquire

What's wrong with that? It's essentially how Ajax do it - albeit with less emphasis on their youth teams.

How else could the maintain being relatively competitive without selling out in order to make up obvious gaps with Bayern?
Yeah, I don’t see how we can knock Dortmund for their operating model, they have been vastly successful at it from both footballing and commercial perspectives. Can’t criticise Dortmund over their stance. We either pay or we don’t, they are right to insist on their asking price.

Fooza

I don't really blame either teams if this falls through, it's dortmunds player, they can charge what they like, they can lose out on money next year or not, don't really care

I just hope if united don't end up paying, it's because they have a solid plan B in place, and they not just winging it. It'll be naive to put everything on Sancho, failing and then not ending up having a good transfer window. As I think this window is vital in catching up to City and Liverpool.

Manny

Grammar Police
You pay for special talents though, Mbappe was big money when he is far from the finished article he was 19 years old (€180M) , Sancho is 20 and they want a €120M fee.

Big clubs pay big money for young talents, the same goes for Havertz.
Yeah and which club did Mbappe move to?

Cliche Guevara

Yeah, I don’t see how we can knock Dortmund for their operating model, they have been vastly successful at it from both footballing and commercial perspectives. Can’t criticise Dortmund over their stance. We either pay or we don’t, they are right to insist on their asking price.
Have they? They’re actually an embarrassment - one German Cup in eight years for a club that has 80,000 fans every game.

Imagine Chelsea or United just lived to sell on player after player after player and never win anything? The fans would be furious.

Further, when Dortmund took advantage of Barcelona’s desperation, and creamed in £96m for Dembele, they blew the lot on absolute shite. Actually very poor operating model apart from a couple of high profile punts who they couldn’t sell quick enough.

Last edited:

E-mal

loyalty bonus!

whatever about haggling for a few million off sancho as long as we get him. if this is the only deal we are working on then it’s more of the same flawed approach no? Whatever about making mistakes at the start of his time here but surely Ed and co should be learning fast. It doesn’t feel that way to me.
One would surely hope so. I would say that he has delivered on almost all targets following that Moves first season.

georgipep

I think we do negotiate. But not as much as we make it seem. I think it is worth it because it sets precedent and obviously saves the club money
Agree on the latter and imagine it varies case to case on the former. Also, clubs who have any ambition do not sell their key players before the season ends and that makes it nearly impossible to sort out transfers before pre-season begins. Unless the player in question downs tools and makes it perfectly clear to their club that their mind is set and will leave. But I wouldn't want us to rely on such tactics as they usually end up the same way when they want out again.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
So,on the chance that this deal doesn't go through and minor the natural mayhem that will ensure amongst the majority of the United fanbase (online),where would you like United to concentrate their efforts for the reminder of the transfer window ?

And would fans also want United to look down other potential alleys for a similar player or do you still feel United should concentrate primarily to still bring Sancho to the club next summer ?

Amerifan

The challenge for us in trying to negotiate price is no team is ‘stuck’ with a developing talent like Sancho. It isn’t like he’s a disruptive influence. The worst that happens for Dortmund is they don’t sell him and they put a better product on the pitch for the fans next season.

Unless Sancho puts in a transfer request, this deal is done on Dortmund’s terms. We will have to wait until next summer when his contract is winding down if we want to try for a discount. It will not be surprising if we walk away and focus on other players this summer.

Rolaholic

The fact that talks are still ongoing and no breakdown has been reported yet is encouraging gives me hope that both sides can arrive at a compromise and agreement. Seems all sides involved want to.

If they weren't looking to make a deal at all it would've been reported all over by now like other high profile rumored transfers we've seen in recent windows that broke down

In Rainbows

Yeah and which club did Mbappe move to?
If there was a 25 year old as good as Sancho is supposed to be at his peak, why would you rather pay the same amount for that player than getting that same player for the same price at a younger age? The latter still gives you the peak performance, but also gives you several more years of service at a good level. More value that way.

Meaning that we're not just paying for Sancho's finished article performances at that price. We're paying him for his potential years of service. He's only just turned 20 so his age 20 season will be this next season. That's 10+ years of service potentially. And if he decides to leave in 5 years, that's a huge fee you get back to recoup those costs anyway. Something you can't do with a player in their prime.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Fans should go to Ed Woodward house demonstrate a peaceful protest, Hold up banners that reads "Sign Sancho, Please Sir pay the money"

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I respect that he doesn't, whatever the motivation may be. If the shoe were on the other foot, I'd like to have a player who shows professionalism and respects their contract. I'm glad DDG and Pogba didn't kick up a fuss with transfer requests when Madrid were showing interest, for example.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Dortmund are still living in a Dembele to Barca la la land so we are being asked to pay finished article money for an up and coming talent.

Sancho already performs at the level of a "finished article" and his output is already at a world class level, you would actually have a hard time to find another winger/attacking midfielder with those numbers.
This really has nothing to do with Dembele considering the usual prices clubs pay. If Sancho played for a team like Bayern, City, Real etc. there'd be no price in the world they'd take.
You should actually feel lucky that it is just 120m Euro and not closer to the Mbappe fee.
Also looking at what United paid for someone like Maguire Dortmund might even feel offended that you think a generational talent like Sancho isn't worth it to pay around 33m Euro more than for an averge international CB.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
One would surely hope so. I would say that he has delivered on almost all targets following that Moves first season.
I’m not so sure... given Ed has final say on transfers and supposedly great people around him to advise him I would argue that he’/they are slowly getting better since the Pogba season but still with obvious mistakes littered throughout. Sanchez deal, Maguire a year later and more expensive, Bruno 1 1/2 years later as the club was on the verge of revolt. It’s all still way too reactionary instead of looking like a club with a solid plan we just rock up and say here we are we won’t be bullied and keep putting out briefs and stuff to that end. We Take ages and either walk away and come back the following year or pay damn near to the initial asking price while wasting weeks only being able to work on one deal at a time. I wouldn’t believe figures being published on transfers anymore either after the fact. Ed has a whole PR department to try and make him look competent these days. In what other job would you get 7/8 years and hundreds of millions of pounds and not win anything of note and still be in a job? My hunch on what’s currently saving them all is Fergie is partially behind Oles transfer picks and helping out behind the scenes. I could be wrong but that’s what it feels like.

Status
Not open for further replies.