Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

Dortmund are evidently skint and need that cash injection immediately. Their cash reserves will have taken a battering considering most of their expenditure on wages etc. relies upon 80,000 fans attending their home games every other week. For that reason alone, I’d take their threat of doubling Sancho’s wages with a large pinch of salt.

They will crack first if we keep the pressure on and not give in to their demands. They have no other suitors for him this summer and they won’t want to lose anything up to £50m by selling him next year with only 12 months left on his deal.

Sancho’s team may need to apply the pressure as well but I can’t see the deal breaking down. All three parties evidently want it to happen and it’s just a matter of striking a deal where nobody loses face and everyone can claim a ‘win’.
They've consistently bought cheap young players and sold some of them for massive profits over the last few years.

They've made a profit on transfers of something like 150m in that time.

Their financial figures for 2018/2019 show they had record non-transfer revenues.

They seem to be better equiped that most to deal with the financial hit from Covid.

laughtersassassin

Crazy how the Havertz deal has seemingly dragged on for just as long or longer but people don't seem to care at all but with us we get all sorts of nonsense being reported about potential deadlines and whatnot when the transfer window has been open for a little over a week :lol:
Harvetz deal isn't really dragging on. It's different. Leverkusen won't sell while they are still in Europa. Their season isn't over. Dortmunds is. Completely different scenarios.

Sancho isn't really dragging on either but at the same time if Dortmund are serious about this deadline and we miss out then Ole will be fuming and his plans will be fecked. We have to wait and see.

devips

Dump Sancho. Buy Chiesa. Sorted. Buy a good forward/midfielder with the saved money.

ShinjiNinja26

I’m not getting sucked into this Saga this time. Happens every season with us and drags on all window, reports come out saying one thing then something completely different the next. Can’t be arsed this time. Really hope we sign Sancho but I won’t be getting excited until everything’s been agreed and it’s certain he’s signing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Given history I wouldn't bet against Woody to botch and fold like a house of cards and give them more than they wanted on first day. In a way I like that he/club is *trying* to break our stigma of being a cash cow on transfers but fear it's just an act. This transfer makes more sense than Griezman, Bale, and Dybala and his baggage entourage et al. Wish we could do these things more smooth. If this transfer fails (by pure sense of how well he suits us on all checkboxes it shouldn't!) this place will go into an apocalyptic meltdown all in on DOF and Ed/Glazer-Out threads for a quarter year at least!
Yeah, the United fans would be furious if this deal falls through and rightly so. Ole won't be jumping for joy at losing out on the brightest young talent in Europe either.

As you say, he ticks all the boxes; pace, trickery, an eye for goal, effective on the right flank, in the same age bracket as Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and he has PL experience making for a smooth transition. Woody has to close this deal by any means necessary, which is a fact I'm sure he is aware of. The deal will get done eventually.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Really think the ball is actually in Sancho's court.

Dortmund: clearly enjoying playing the big shot and effective media campaign. Everyone on Earth knows about this random 120 euros figure. But with no fans in the forseeable future, having bought big themselves and real uncertainty about next year I'm fairly sure 90m of cash wouldn't go amiss. And keeping Sancho will do what for their team exactly? Win the Bundesliga? Nope. Win the CL? Nope. If I were the board, I'd definitely want to sell, it's kind of their business model. This random August 10th deadline is just because they know other fees aren't going to be as crazy, and want it done before then.

United: He's a target that fits a need, is English, is marketable and is 'available'. It ticks all the boxes. But we're also going to be suffering for cash, even if better off than other teams. We also don't want to get rinsed doing this deal even in a covid environment. So we can wait a bit.

Sancho: Clearly enjoys playing in Dortmund, but also clearly wants a move, and wants to come to England and presumably us. Even if we're not the bestest right now, the United no7 is not something to be scoffed at. He's been very 'nice' so far, but if he feels Dortmund are blocking this over like 20m euros, I think he should and will start making some moves in the media to signal his intent.

TL:DR it's in United's interest to wait this one out, the 10th deadline is bullsh*t and everyone knows it, even that random Jan guy.

Becks00

I think if we have an opportunity to sign a player like Sancho, who does have the sort of talent that could significantly shape our next decade, we just have to take it and worry about the price later. The board just have to understand we have to pay the price till we get successful and then we can be selective about the kind of prices we pay. To me is just the sensible thing to do, is the same model followed by most clubs that has risen in recent times, city,Chelsea, Madrid all did it, in fact short of generational talents all coming through from a club's academy at the same time(which are rear nowadays) don't think there is any other way. May be Bayern and Liverpool but then Bayern's competition during their lean years is nothing close to what we are facing right now and Liverpool i don't think can replicate what they've done after this current team phases out and even then had to spend huge on Allison and van dijk

laughtersassassin

Dump Sancho. Buy Chiesa. Sorted. Buy a good forward/midfielder with the saved money.
Well we aren't are we. Ole has very clearly had Sancho as his top target for two seasons.

His vision clearly depends on him. He want s to come and the price isnt crazy. Sure 130 is a lot but Dortmund could be asking for 150+ easy. Do people here recognise how crazy his numbers are and how young he is?

I'll be fuming if we don't get him as Ole done his part this season now he needs to be given a chance at succeeding and closing the gap.

If we let him down this summer you will fast see another year of 2 steps forward one step back.

Our failure to build on our somewhat positive seasons post Fergie has been criminal. Every time things looked up we floundered in the summer and then regressed.

So to let Ole down now would be absolutely criminal, can't see how any fan would be okay with that. Ole has a plan the club hired him let him try achieve that.

crossy1686

career ending
i think getting Woodward out of the loop would help immensely - and there is no way we will bid £120m for Sancho
Well yes, that would help because he’s in charge of the finances so we’d see someone spending someone else’s money without a care in the world or the repercussions for that spending at a later date. Looking at you Barcelona.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They've consistently bought cheap young players and sold some of them for massive profits over the last few years.

They've made a profit on transfers of something like 150m in that time.

Their financial figures for 2018/2019 show they had record non-transfer revenues.

They seem to be better equiped that most to deal with the financial hit from Covid.
They are in no position to refuse a cash injection of £120 million, not by any stretch of the imagination, and certainly not to keep hold of a player who seemingly wants to leave the club.

Zen86

This somewhat patronising deadline is nothing more than Dortmund trying to bully us.

People saying a club of our size should just stump up the cash? No. The opposite. A club of our size should stand firm and take control of this transfer.

Houdini

I think it's ok to be nervous. Not having Sancho by the end of this week is worrying.

Rolaholic

Not even close to the same level of talent or production at all even though he's 2 years older.

Also can't remember the last signing from Serie A to really kick on like that in the premier league outside of Salah who had experience in England prior to playing there

El-Manos

This somewhat patronising deadline is nothing more than Dortmund trying to bully us.

People saying a club of our size should just stump up the cash? No. The opposite. A club of our size should stand firm and take control of this transfer.
We’re not the selling club though. Sancho should kick up a fuss.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You think they would have spent all that money on Bellingham, a teenager who probably won't help them a lot short term, if they were so desperately broke?
It is a nonsense take because Dortmunds finances are completely out in the open as they are legally bound to make them public. They took a nasty loss of about 40 Mil. € because of Corvid and a portion of a potential fee for Sancho will be used to compensate for that but by compensating it would mean not having to touch the buffer they build up over the last decade or use any short term credits they have access to without any negotiations. Being a club without any real debt in the classic sense (they obviously are owed and owe other parties money as does every company) and an equity ratio of 75% , they are far from being forced to sell to keep the lights on. Being market-listed also gives them additional tools to generate money than opther clubs.

So it is not about being forced to sell because of financial constraints but having evaluated a benchmark from where it becomes economically unwise to not agree to a deal. That benchmark is in all likelyhood 120 Mil. €.

The notion that Dortmund is unable or unwilling to pay Sancho an additional 5-6 Mil. € for the next season is laughable by the way. Their wage bill is expected to go down slightly with several big contracts (espeially Götze and Schürrle) havng ended and they have offered him more than that this Spring for a new contract when the pandemic was already in full swing.

laughtersassassin

I think it's ok to be nervous. Not having Sancho by the end of this week is worrying.
The only positive I have left is because It's very clear Sancho is Oles top targets and also very clear we have no real backup RW option.

Ole will be absolutely fuming if we dont get him. Like it will clearly ruin his plans for next season.

And we'll can Ed really feck him.over that badly after he got 3rd? I would hope not.

I'd say if we miss out on Sancho we will just go and overpay for Grealish and while I want Grealish it is very clear that Sancho is needed much more. Plus 120 for Sancho is better than 80 for Grealish.

Let's hope Ed wants to stay in Oles good side. Can't imagine he wants to have to sack another manager next season and well the likelihood of that happening will increase a lot of we have a bad summer

Stretender

Dortmund have taken a wrong approach to this transfer using Jan and his mates to set deadlines to United, set the price and basically crying over the whole deal like a partner in a marriage just about to be dragged into the Divorce Courts. Dortmund's tactic has been to pre empt United's bid which is foolish in my opinion.United haven't made a bid, but Dortmund are trying to rush things. Woodward will strike the deal when he wants with the money he has. The selling club Dortmund are looking silly every day we come closer to their 10th deadline. Am enjoying this now I think Woodward has made fools of all journalists in the UK and Germany and all twitterati.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Was hoping we would get some agreement by this week, but looking unlikely. I understand it’s a complicated negotiation but we do have a habit of dithering before paying whatever we were told to pay at the start.

Think it’s obvious he’s Ole’s number 1 target and we seemingly don’t have competition from other clubs. Wish we could get it done & move on to other targets.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
You better get some valium.
this will be dragged on and the media lies will fan the flames and then when we sign someone from the championship you'll have a breakdown

Hanky panky

Not even close to the same level of talent or production at all even though he's 2 years older.
I have same feeling. Not regular Serie a follower but i think Chiesa is a bit overhyped. And Serie A as a league isnt even near same it used to be on 90's. Same level or weaker than Bundesliga.

Withnail

They are in no position to refuse a cash injection of £120 million, not by any stretch of the imagination, and certainly not to keep hold of a player who seemingly wants to leave the club.
I'm not disputing that they wouldn't refuse 120m.

They'll obviously sell for 120m as they've said so.

I was arguing against the claim that they were skint and by extension that they wouldn't double his wages if the deal wasn't right for them.

Zen86

We’re not the selling club though. Sancho should kick up a fuss.
And he will do if he feels Dortmund are being unreasonable. Setting a completely random and unnecessary deadline is far from being reasonable, considering the current situation.

Terminator

What is the need to 'control' the transfer here? They have an asking price which they think is right, whether we pay or not is upto us. Simple really and a fair price IMO considering how much players of similar/lesser talents have been going for recently.

Edit - I agree that the deadline is a dick move, missed the first 2 lines.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Going off the idea. There are more pressing areas to strengthen elsewhere, and this is a lot of money.
Disagree. An elite RW is something we've needed for nearly a decade.

I'm all for patience but Woodward not getting this done would be an absolute disaster. We have a free run at a phenomenally talented English RW.

georgipep

It’s essentially to keep the player happy and performing at his best as opposed to sulking and seeing a drop off in quality.
Why is it not true? They doubled his contract last year while his contract remain until 2022. They pretty much will do the same thing this year, double the contract while his contract remain until 2022 just to keep him happy.

https://strettynews.com/2019/08/20/...orussia-dortmund-doubles-salary-to-80000-p-w/
How is it a flawed? If he wants to leave, there is no point he accepts an extension. Sancho will accept payrise without extension and 100% be sold due to 1 year left in his contract & leave with even more salary in his new club next year.
If he wants to leave it will happen this transfer window. Dortmund are not stupid and won't risk having a player who may perform subpar because he doesn't want to play for them, thus eroding his transfer value. These are all moves through the media to increase pressure on United to pay up.

Last year he signed a new salary contract because he didn't want to leave, simple as that. If he signs again now that would mean only one thing, he doesn't want to leave as much as he wants more money (both for his new contract and assuming a transfer next year or in 2022 for a lower transfer fee and higher personal terms).

There is no logic though in him both wanting to leave and accepting the new wages as that in itself is a commitment for at least one more year.

The 10th August deadline they're setting is again something just for the media and the general public. If Sancho downs tools and says he wants out, no matter what, they would accept a deal even if it is one day before the window closes.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm not disputing that they wouldn't refuse 120m.

They'll sell for 120m as they've said so.

I was arguing against the claim that they were skint and by extension that they wouldn't double his wages if the deal wasn't right for them.
I'm not fully aware of Dortmund's financial situation, in truth, but if they're as well off as you suggest, they can reinvest the £100+ million back into the squad entirely. You'd think they'd be desperate for this deal all things considered.

Sancho would be tying himself to Dortmund for God knows how long should he accept a new deal, though. Wouldn't he be better served to wait out the year at his current club, allowing for his market valuation to drop significantly in the process, then gaining a bumper signing-on clause the following summer when United come calling again?

That's what I would do if I was Sancho anyway.

ChaddyP

I'm still extremely confident this deal will happen. We (united) aren't walking away from this deal. All this noise like what transpired with Harry Maguire and Bruno deals is exactly that noise. We will pay and find a way to save face through the English press.

Goku23

This is dragging to long now I hate United when it comes to transfers no news is good news though ? Negotiations ongoing still. How much does someone want to bet we sign him in January like we did Bruno typical us.

VanGaalEra

laughtersassassin

I'm still extremely confident this deal will happen. We (united) aren't walking away from this deal. All this noise like what transpired with Harry Maguire and Bruno deals is exactly that noise. We will pay and find a way to save face through the English press.
I don't get the need to save face. We are talking about the best young winger money can buy. Getting him at any price makes you look good.

El Zoido

This is my feeling too. Reckon we’ll stump up the full price upfront if we have to.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If he wants to leave it will happen this transfer window. Dortmund are not stupid and won't risk having a player who may perform subpar because he doesn't want to play for them, thus eroding his transfer value. These are all moves through the media to increase pressure on United to pay up.

Last year he signed a new salary contract because he didn't want to leave, simple as that. If he signs again now that would mean only one thing, he doesn't want to leave as much as he wants more money (both for his new contract and assuming a transfer next year or in 2022 for a lower transfer fee and higher personal terms).

There is no logic though in him both wanting to leave and accepting the new wages as that in itself is a commitment for at least one more year.

The 10th August deadline they're setting is again something just for the media and the general public. If Sancho downs tools and says he wants out, no matter what, they would accept a deal even if it is one day before the window closes.
If Sancho wants to leave, it makes sense for Sancho to accept payrise as long as it doesn't extend the 2022 contract. Dortmund has a reason to give unhappy Sancho payrise to let the player happy. They are not going to keep him unhappy for one year & not playing him at all, they don't have the finance to not play Sancho for 1 year.

United won't get pressure from this, United know Sancho won't extend the contract and Dortmund will have to sell him this year or take low fees next year.

ChaddyP

I don't get the need to save face. We are talking about the best young winger money can buy. Getting him at any price makes you look good.
We do it constantly. "they wanted 95 for Harry and we got him for 75 #getin" or "they wanted 75 for Bruno and we got him for 50 #blessed"

I see something similarly happening when we eventually agree a fee

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If Sancho wants to leave, Sancho has no reason not to accept payrise as long as it doesn't extend the 2022 contract. Dortmund has a reason to give unhappy Sancho payrise to let the player happy. They are not going to keep him unhappy for one year & not playing him at all, they don't have the finance to not play Sancho for 1 year.

United won't get pressure from this, United know Sancho won't extend the contract and Dortmund will have to sell him this year or take low fees next year.
How do you get a pay raise without a new contract?

Withnail

Did you read the full article?

Despite this, Dortmund stated they ‘are well equipped to bear these losses,’ supported by a €17.4 million (US$19.5 million) net profit and consolidated revenues of €489.5 million (US$549.7 million) for 2018/19. The club also inked a bumper extension with kit supplier Puma in November 2019, reportedly worth €250 million (US$280.7 million) until the end of 2027/28.

MichaelRed

I don't believe Twitter has an edit function (yet). Once you post something you can either leave it or delete it.
It's definitely legit. He actually made a more accurate prediction than that tweet. He said we'd get in a big name after Fergie & that when that doesn't work out we'll get in a bigger name that doesn't suit our style (aka Mourinho) just to try win at all costs to get back to the top. Then that won't work and we'll go for someone that understands the DNA of the club like Solskjær. Crazy good prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.