Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixel

Sorry if that sentence hurt you, or something?
Not at all. Just remarking that we've been in the 'rebuilding stage' for quite a few years now. Maybe there should be a point when we stop telling ourselves that we are still rebuilding?

There will always be some piece of the puzzle missing. This is not any reflection on the Sancho deal. Sorry if I am going off on a tangent.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
One more good season and every big club on gods green earth will be fighting for him next summer. I honestly dont think United stand a chance if likes of Real/Barca come into the picture.
Why not?

United can outbid and offer Sancho a higher salary than either of those clubs. We only need to worry if City or PSG enter the fray.

Bosws87

One more good season and every big club on gods green earth will be fighting for him next summer. I honestly dont think United stand a chance if likes of Real/Barca come into the picture.
Are you forgetting the kids english?

Jackal981

He also said that Owen was a one season wonder (???) while admitting only looking at his wiki page. Owen was truly a generational talent, injuries robbed him his pace. There is a reason he won ballond’or at such age (whether justified or not is another story).

Rolaholic

Ed should pass whatever he's smoking.

A year ago an almost 30 year old Hazard with less than a year left in his contract went for 100m+ and a less proven 18 year old for 130m from the portuguese league

In what world can you expect to sign a 20 year old potentially world class forward for less than we paid for slabhead?? :lol:

Valencia Shin Crosses

A year ago an almost 30 year old Hazard with less than a year left in his contract went for 100m+ and a less proven 18 year old for 130m from the portuguese league

In what world can you expect to sign a 20 year old potentially world class forward for less than we paid for slabhead?? :lol:
A post virus world where some of these clubs are desperate for the cash I guess.

MDFC Manager

In a (post)pandemic, financially insecure world. I personally feel its the right stance.

Goku23

I used to get so angry with the penny pinching mentality now I just have to laugh he will get here on the 11th hour as always with us

Lemansky

In a climate where the economy is in the toilet and no one knows if we have seen the worse yet. We will probably see wave two before we get a good vaccine. The economy will probably suffer a lot more.

littleman

The only thing that matters is

- Will any club pay pre-pandemic fees this window?
- Will any club pay more than 80m GBP for Sancho?
- Is there a possibility they'd get more for Sancho next window than this?

It's really an opportunity cost question. There haven't been earth shaking transfer fees yet this window, so we'll see.

Lemansky

The only thing that matters is

- Will any club pay pre-pandemic fees this window?
- Will any club pay more than 80m GBP for Sancho?
- Is there a possibility they'd get more for Sancho next window than this?

It's really an opportunity cost question. There haven't been earth shaking transfer fees yet this window, so we'll see.
My guess is games without supporters for approximately one more year/season and an even lower market next year. If Sancho has a mediocre season on top Dortmund stand to lose loads of money. They are acting like they are in a good spot, they are not. His contract is expiring in a couple of years also.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not at all. Just remarking that we've been in the 'rebuilding stage' for quite a few years now. Maybe there should be a point when we stop telling ourselves that we are still rebuilding?

There will always be some piece of the puzzle missing. This is not any reflection on the Sancho deal. Sorry if I am going off on a tangent.
You are always rebuilding until you make it. That's my point, that you don't fix everything in one (or even two go's). I'm not trying to make excuses for Ole or Woodward and have doubts over both of them. But it is true that you have to make strides towards where you want to be. Hopefully we make big ones this summer.

amolbhatia50k

Absolutely. This is pretty much the perfect time to sign him. In terms of momentum, availability and competition.

Lemansky

Absolutely. This is pretty much the perfect time to sign him. In terms of momentum, availability and competition.
The market might be even worse next year, and the clubs you mention even in deeper financial troubles. COVID is spiking all over Europe atm. It is a HUGE gamble paying a ridiculous premium in this climate.

Brophs

The One and Only
My guess is games without supporters for approximately one more year/season and an even lower market next year. If Sancho has a mediocre season on top Dortmund stand to lose loads of money. They are acting like they are in a good spot, they are not. His contract is expiring in a couple of years also.
I think I'd disagree. Right now, they have a willing buyer, who history suggests will pay somewhere close to the top end of the market, if they just hold on long enough. Maybe we'll call their bluff but one of the things that's giving us a free run at Sancho is the elevated price. If that comes down to something like the same level as Sane, whether now or next summer, I'm not so sure we'll be the only show in town.

amolbhatia50k

The market might be even worse next year, and the clubs you mention even in deeper financial troubles. COVID is spiking all over Europe atm. It is a HUGE gamble paying a ridiculous premium in this climate.
I don't think. United are extremely rich. Life will move and we'll continue to make tons of money. When you can sign the very best, you should.

Lemansky

I think I'd disagree. Right now, they have a willing buyer, who history suggests will pay somewhere close to the top end of the market, if they just hold on long enough. Maybe we'll call their bluff but one of the things that's giving us a free run at Sancho is the elevated price. If that comes down to something like the same level as Sane, whether now or next summer, I'm not so sure we'll be the only show in town.
No one knows. See my posts above. It’s actually very harsh criticising the club if they won’t pay Dortmund’s ridiculous fee. As it would be a major gamble. That 120 million could be a lot more valuable next summer.

Stretender

It seems like you live in a different universe @Rolaholic . Have you read the news on how much Sky have lost due to covid? Can you also tell us for certain that football fans will be allowed in Stadiums this year? Any deal done now will take into account of all those factors. It's not the same world we left in March again, the sooner you understand that the better.

Lemansky

I don't think. United are extremely rich. Life will move and we'll continue to make tons of money. When you can sign the very best, you should.
We don’t have limitless funds and are also hit by having no supporters in the stadium. Luckily we have a superb commercial department.

All I am saying is that all clubs and economics outside football is hit hard by this situation. It might be a lot worse before it get better. Therefore reluctance to pay a monstrous premium in this climate is very easy to understand.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is always how negotiations work. They set a top end price, we give them a low ball offer, the deal gets done somewhere in between.

It's clear we desperately want + need him, Woodward isn't going to risk giving other clubs a chance to steal him next year instead. We might not even get the CL again if we don't invest in better players.

As much as people might think he is, Woodward isn't stupid. Even if he can shave off £20m from the asking price, that's 1/2 way to another good player.

Patience!

romufc

We don’t have limitless funds and are also hit by having no supporters in the stadium. Luckily we have a superb commercial department.

All I am saying is that all clubs and economics outside football is hit hard by this situation. It might be a lot worse before it get better. Therefore reluctance to pay a monstrous premium in this climate is very easy to understand.

It is easy to understand. However; this season we barely just managed to get top 4, some say it is worth £80m.

If we didnt sign Bruno in Jan for £50m odd we won't have top 4?

So next season, if we do not buy a top quality player, our chances of finishing top 4 are reduced meaning £50-60m loss for the season after.

I also understand, signing Sancho doesnt guarantee top 4, but it most definitely increases our chance. No top 4 next season will see players in our team wanting to leave.

Also, if we really want, we should put alot of our fringe players on the market and raise £50/60m.

MDFC Manager

This is always how negotiations work. They set a top end price, we give them a low ball offer, the deal gets done somewhere in between.

It's clear we desperately want + need him, Woodward isn't going to risk giving other clubs a chance to steal him next year instead. We might not even get the CL again if we don't invest in better players.

As much as people might think he is, Woodward isn't stupid. Even if he can shave off £20m from the asking price, that's 1/2 way to another good player.

Patience!
This. And to add to what you said, its also quite clear that Dortmund are happy to sell, just need to find the happy middle ground.

SteveW

Just watched his highlight. Is he a backup for Luke and William? Why haven't seen much of him in the first 11? Hopefully in Europa league well see him every game.
He's had a few injuries that have stopped him from breaking through but hes been training with the first team. He played against Astana and scored against Rochdale in the FA trophy. He's a right back but very comfortable on both sides. He scored over 20 goals from left back in the u16s one season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This. And to add to what you said, its also quite clear that Dortmund are happy to sell, just need to find the happy middle ground.
They know Sancho wants to leave, they've been talking about the idea of him leaving since last summer.

They just want as much cash as possible and it'll be a game of chicken to see who comes out on top. I think eventually we will give them a decent base figure of something like 70-90m euros and the rest will be achievable bonuses and clauses etc.

AneRu

My thoughts exactly, the risk of eventually missing out on him next year to a better placed rival should be considered and avoided. It's a difficult situation with COVID but we have to put out all stops to get him because the potential upside is immense.

acnumber9

What would you do if you were him right now?
Difficult to know exactly without knowing the current intricacies. Maybe not do the same thing I do every year that has led to 7 years of abject failure?

DevilRed

The fees being quoted are pretty ridiculous. But we are Manchester United and we've always broken transfer records.

If Sancho can perform to the same/better level than at dortmund for us, then we might just have one of the best front lines in the world for the next 5 years at least.

Brophs

The One and Only
No one knows. See my posts above. It’s actually very harsh criticising the club if they won’t pay Dortmund’s ridiculous fee. As it would be a major gamble. That 120 million could be a lot more valuable next summer.
I agree with you. And I'm not criticising them, rather stating the (obvious) point that from Dortmund's point of view, they have a team that in the last has overpaid for players, willing to sign one of theirs. If we hang back, which I can see the logic in, then it's entirely possible that might work in our favour, albeit I would say it's just as likely that it would turn it into an auction next summer, which suits Dortmund (not as much as selling for €120m this summer, but circumstances may dictate).

Rolaholic

It seems like you live in a different universe @Rolaholic . Have you read the news on how much Sky have lost due to covid? Can you also tell us for certain that football fans will be allowed in Stadiums this year? Any deal done now will take into account of all those factors. It's not the same world we left in March again, the sooner you understand that the better.
I don't know what you're talking about when I was simply commenting on Dortmund being justified in their asking price given how much he has left in his contract and the fact that they're much better served keeping arguably their best player under the present circumstances filled with uncertainty unless a club gets close to their valuation. Especially when the main club being linked has a documented history of overpaying for talent, it's smart business on their part.

The market is different obviously but that hasn't been stopping other clubs like Chelsea and City from planning to spend boatloads to improve their prospects regardless.

All I'm saying is that I don't blame Dortmund if they want to stand firm with their valuation and I don't think its realistic to expect them to feel pressured to sell a talent like Sancho for almost 50m less than they got for Dembele even with the present market realities.

All the pressure is on us to try to work something out given the opportunity we have without competition for his signature. No one knows what a year will bring and how things will shape up to be and you'd have to be dense to claim otherwise. It's not guaranteed at all that waiting a year will yield the same result of being the only ones able to sign him.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It'll be done early August. I remain unaffected by the latest murmurs.
Announced on their deadline of Aug 10th, first thing Monday morning NY time after a weekend of rumors of a physical and flight tracking to London and Manchester. I can see it now.

Rolaholic

Victor Osimhen literally just cost an Italian club 80m+ euros in a covid market and some of you honestly think Dortmund will feel obliged to acccept the same sort of fee? I'm not the one who needs to get real here :lol:

Sancho is most likely going to cost at least 100m if he's going to leave this summer guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.