Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How do you know that they have briefed anything about Sancho through the media? The media is likely just using United's alleged interest to generate clicks and make money; like they always do. But because the fans want Sancho, they somehow think this is different. If United did have any interest, United's interest likely ended as soon as they realised they weren't getting a pound-stretcher deal on Sancho due to Covid.
You've made then same point 3 times now: you don't trust any media.
Endlessly repeating it or calling poster's silly names isn't going to change the minds of those who don't share your opinion.

SATA

How many of you think we are still working on a deal with BVB or at least there’s contact with BVB, or is this already dead? Because i wonder why Sancho hasn’t come out to commit his future to them just yet

romufc

How do you know that they have briefed anything about Sancho through the media? The media is likely just using United's alleged interest to generate clicks and make money; like they always do. But because the fans want Sancho, they somehow think this is different. If United did have any interest, United's interest likely ended as soon as they realised they weren't getting a pound-stretcher deal on Sancho due to Covid.
There is no smoke without fire. These are reputable journalists, some of them follow Manutd. E.g. James Cooper is sky sports Manchester correspondent.They regularly visit the training ground etc.

Romano is a reputable journalists who has various sources, he seems to think Sancho was a priority for us.

Liverpool fans want Sancho and Mbappe, you don't see the same amount of coverage...

Rolaholic

How many of you think we are still working on a deal with BVB or at least there’s contact with BVB, or is this already dead? Because i wonder why Sancho hasn’t come out to commit his future to them just yet
Why would he feel the need to commit publicly when he's already under contract until 2023 and by most reports he doesn't actually see his long term future there?

Would be awkward for him to publicly commit his future now only to end up leaving next year. There's no need for that if he has his sights elsewhere already

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Woodward strikes me a narcissist type. Those people tend to have a hard time of letting go of their pre-conceived notions. I could totally see him sitting in his monitoring bunker hoping for some kind of last ditch miracle to happen.
As for the backlash, it would be at least equally as huge over here. The german media are in full hype of a potential title challenge by a Dortmund that includes Sancho, and no Dortmund official has said anything even close to indicating that this might change.
This isn't in your clubs hands anymore.
BVB can spin a sale as an economic necessity to survive covid19 winter 2nd wave. No way anyone would dare criticise them for that.

spiriticon

I don't think Sancho needs to do that since he never specifically said he wants to go, unlike Messi.

My gut feeling is that I think Sancho is happy whichever way this deal goes.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I really want to believe.. But I just don't. I don't see why he'd come out and commit his future either. I think there's been enough noise to suggest he'd be happy to come if the clubs sorted it out. I think he'll stay quiet whatever happens.

padzilla

Hipster
I think there could be a massive issue if we end up paying what Dortmund want and he doesn't live up the price tag. Other clubs are getting some great players at great prices because of the new economic model whereas we seem to be welded to our old habits of paying top money to get galacticos whether or not they give balance to the team, Sancho is obviously a first rate player who would walk into our team but the issue is would he transform the team which everyone would expect given what we would have to pay, or would he get bogged down in our mediocrity like so many big name signings over the last six years.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
BVB can spin a sale as an economic necessity to survive covid19 winter 2nd wave. No way anyone would dare criticise them for that.
Nah, the ship for that spin has sailed. Kehl just called that decision a statement yesterday, and everyone knows they are financially healthy. There's no way they could get out of this now without losing their credibility entirely.

romufc

I think there could be a massive issue if we end up paying what Dortmund want and he doesn't live up the price tag. Other clubs are getting some great players at great prices because of the new economic model whereas we seem to be welded to our old habits of paying top money to get galacticos whether or not they give balance to the team, Sancho is obviously a first rate player who would walk into our team but the issue is would he transform the team which everyone would expect given what we would have to pay, or would he get bogged down in our mediocrity like so many big name signings over the last six years.
What clubs are getting great prices due to covid?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
And if that’s the case the club should have briefed it was off instead of going into the season in a seeming state of negativity and crisis yet again. Not only are previous players calling the club useless in the market all over the place but we even have current players saying we need to strengthen to compete too. If we never intended on signing him they’ve taken the worst possible media strategy they could by constantly stating he’s our top target.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think that, at some point this year, we were talking to Dortmund but we aren't anymore. It all seems one sided, as if people at United believe it can still happen and are dismissing the word coming out of Germany. However, I have not seen anything to make me believe Dortmund are bluffing.

Dortmund's season has begun, where do they even get a proper replacement from if we roll up on deadline day with a decent offer?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I feel like Captain America standing before Thanos and the might of his army.

Everyone can throw the towel in if they please. I still have belief.

I'm not leaving, and I'll stay to the end. I welcome anyone who wishes to join me.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I really want to believe.. But I just don't. I don't see why he'd come out and commit his future either. I think there's been enough noise to suggest he'd be happy to come if the clubs sorted it out. I think he'll stay quiet whatever happens.
Agree with you. I remember reading in Berbatov's biography that SAF spoke to him a few times during his transfer window and he told him it would be a rocky transfer but to trust him. SAF gave Berbatov two instructions:

1. This transfer would happen very late so don't panic if he didn't see much progress.
2. Do not say anything unless he was instructed to.

Ww haven't submitted a bid yet, so what is Sancho meant to say right now? This point keeps being ignored by people who have lost faith in this transfer.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Nah, the ship for that spin has sailed. Kehl just called that decision a statement yesterday, and everyone knows they are financially healthy. There's no way they could get out of this now without losing their credibility entirely.
£100m cheque would enhance anybody's credibility :lol:

padzilla

Hipster
What clubs are getting great prices due to covid?
It might not be down to Covid but Liverpool were able to get Thiago and Jota with the selling clubs accepting small down payments while Spurs got Reguilon, who is way better than any left back at our club, for 30 million. Yes I know there were ridiculous conditions but the fact remains they got a better left back than what we have for the same price as we paid for Shaw six years ago. We need a right sided attacker and left back as priority, Spurs went out and got those positions addressed. we have had months and months to get the players identified and get them signed, instead it's always an ongoing saga with us to get deals done.

Adamsk7

The Covid situation does make this all very interesting. Both Utd and Dortmund are financially stable clubs of course but no tickets and match day revenue will have a negative impact on the market (it already has) and now we know realistically we probably won’t have fans most of the season, next summer will be impacted even more. There is no way IMO that they get £108m next summer unless it’s from one of the outside financed teams like City or PSG.
the reason we have left this so late could well be to consider the Covid situation closer to the close of the window and to be honest, if I think with my head and not my heart, that’s probably what I would do as well when we are taking about a transfer of this magnitude, a good £20m more than any team has spent on a player this summer (and even then, that was Chelsea).

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The Covid situation does make this all very interesting. Both Utd and Dortmund are financially stable clubs of course but no tickets and match day revenue will have a negative impact on the market (it already has) and now we know realistically we probably won’t have fans most of the season, next summer will be impacted even more. There is no way IMO that they get £108m next summer unless it’s from one of the outside financed teams like City or PSG.
the reason we have left this so late could well be to consider the Covid situation closer to the close of the window and to be honest, if I think with my head and not my heart, that’s probably what I would do as well when we are taking about a transfer of this magnitude, a good £20m more than any team has spent on a player this summer (and even then, that was Chelsea).
They will also have massively reduced income this season so I cant see how they will justify through FFP?

romufc

It might not be down to Covid but Liverpool were able to get Thiago and Jota with the selling clubs accepting small down payments while Spurs got Reguilon, who is way better than any left back at our club, for 30 million. Yes I know there were ridiculous conditions but the fact remains they got a better left back than what we have for the same price as we paid for Shaw six years ago. We need a right sided attacker and left back as priority, Spurs went out and got those positions addressed. we have had months and months to get the players identified and get them signed, instead it's always an ongoing saga with us to get deals done.
I will argue that these teams get these deals regardless of COVID. Liverpool have got some real deals, same with Spurs and other teams.

The issue is the same with or without covid, we are rubbish at negotiating transfers. We have failed to identify targets throughout Ed Woodward's reign. We have 1 target and no alternative, be it AWB, Maguire and now Sancho.

In respects to Regulion, how many times have you watched him play?

Cloud7

I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion when the way they're currently treating fans by not killing the story reeks of contempt and is fanning the flames - as well as the ire - to further degrees than saying it's off would.

It's the hope that kills.. so the saying goes. If fans were allowed time to process this, or better yet, not had their expectations raised to untold measures, the backlash won't - or wouldn't - be half as bad as it's going to be if this is drawn out all the way to the end of the window.

Personally, I don't think Woodward or Judge give two figs about the fans (as long as they don't turn up on doorsteps), but the club is taking a battering in terms of image, which is something they are heavily invested in and why I find it incredulous that they've made such an absolute balls up of this whole affair basically from the off - how is it possible to take the euphoria of CL qualification and signs of progress, and turn it into a quagmire of misery in the space of a couple of months? It's unbelievable.
It's crazy isn't it? The season ended just about a month ago. The season ended with so much positivity, more positivity than we've had in almost all of the post SAF era, and within that short space of time the atmosphere around the club has plummeted to almost anything as bad as it was under Jose.

I don't understand the club's game here. As you said, if they weren't up for the transfer, briefing early would have led to some discontent, but it would have faded quickly. Allowing it to drag on for this long, while other clubs around us have gotten their business done, has really put the club under the microscope, with so many people criticizing our transfer business, including many of our own legends. It just doesn't make sense how the club have handled this.

romufc

Liverpool
Thiago in list last year of his contract. We got RVP at £20m.

Jota for 45m Euros is not exactly a great deal is it?

Liverpool get deals done with / without covid. They still manage to get £25m for Brewster, £10m for a CB that never plays and £11m for Lovren.

Posh Red

Thiago in list last year of his contract. We got RVP at £20m.

Jota for 45m Euros is not exactly a great deal is it?

Liverpool get deals done with / without covid. They still manage to get £25m for Brewster, £10m for a CB that never plays and £11m for Lovren.
You’d better be careful or you’ll have Steve Parish to answer to

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I'm not leaving, and I'll stay to the end. I welcome anyone who wishes to join me.

padzilla

Hipster
I will argue that these teams get these deals regardless of COVID. Liverpool have got some real deals, same with Spurs and other teams.

The issue is the same with or without covid, we are rubbish at negotiating transfers. We have failed to identify targets throughout Ed Woodward's reign. We have 1 target and no alternative, be it AWB, Maguire and now Sancho.

In respects to Regulion, how many times have you watched him play?
Fair point about Reguilon, I have only watched him play about maybe a dozen games and he could well flop at Spurs, especially given I am not at all convinced Mourinho won't implode this season, but they still got it done. I actually heard yesterday we employ a consultancy firm to help us with transfers, I initially presumed it was nonsense but nothing would surprise me about how we do business. I think we are really suffering this window because the owners want to get their usual blood money out of the club first and invest second, but with Covid there is less all round.

RUCK4444

I hate comic related sh*t but I'm with you. :D

romufc

Fair point about Reguilon, I have only watched him play about maybe a dozen games and he could well flop at Spurs, especially given I am not at all convinced Mourinho won't implode this season, but they still got it done. I actually heard yesterday we employ a consultancy firm to help us with transfers, I initially presumed it was nonsense but nothing would surprise me about how we do business. I think we are really suffering this window because the owners want to get their usual blood money out of the club first and invest second, but with Covid there is less all round.
A club that had financial difficulties, has spent almost 100m Euros.

I don't know how we operate, all I know it is completely pathetic. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and teams like Everton, Spurs are going on with their business in a way that we can only hope. I am sure Anchelotti and Jose said to the high ups, I need x y z, they said okay here you go.

Ole has mentioned that the targets have been given to the board during lockdown, here we are trying to hijack other teams deals.
Gabriel - we contact the agent when deal is almost done
Thiago - contact agent when it is clear he is going liverpool

I think you are 100% correct in saying that the Glazers still want the same money they pocketed last year. If it means we do not spend in the market so be it.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax

Muppets assemble!

passing-wind

There's no chance Dortmund will reject the offer if it comes in for Sancho because of the circumstances of this economic reality within the footballing market.

The question is not the conclusiveness of the fee being agreed, it is if the Glazers / Woodward have the capability to pay what Dortmund are asking. I think no more than two weeks within the window the club briefed wanting to pay 50-80 million if my memories correct. This is very likely why negotiations are being drawn out.

Personally I think we are seemingly less financially secure than what the media is perceiving and that's why I don't see Sancho here

DavelinaJolie

I suppose I can understand why such a massive deal wouldn't be done given the impact on finances that Covid has had and will continue to have with the announcement about fans returning to the stands. Many might not agree, but I think it's reasonable to be pragmatic. They can, however, look to generate at least some extra income by selling. It is frustrating seeing other teams getting money for players that Utd never seem to be able to realise in their sales, but at this point, what is being gained by holding on to Smalling, Rojo, even Romero. Let them go at a cut price and move forward instead of dragging it out.

jackal&hyde

You answered your own questions as to why those players were for reasonable prices, buys backs, last year of contract, etc. We got DVB for a good price and might yet get Telles too. Sancho is a different case with a world class talent, at a big club and a long contract.

I think we will offer very close to what Dortmund want and they will not reject that type of money. Dortmund might have some questions to answer but the player wanting to leave and a great offer is what is always used to justify this kind of thing, because it's true.

Himannv

Disagree.
Pogba has been class.
But too many expect him to do it all by himself.

He has been let down by his team-members being unable to do much with his passes. It's a shame that last season was cut so short for him. I believe this season he will truly shine, more so if we get a proper RW in allowing us to stretch both sides more making it unpredictable for the defenders.
Not that I agree with the Spurs fan, but I find the "let down by teammates" argument a bit strange. I mean Bruno has the same teammates and I don't see any problems there.

padzilla

Hipster
There's no chance Dortmund will reject the offer if it comes in for Sancho because of the circumstances of this economic reality within the footballing market.

The question is not the conclusiveness of the fee being agreed, it is if the Glazers / Woodward have the capability to pay what Dortmund are asking. I think no more than two weeks within the window the club briefed wanting to pay 50-80 million if my memories correct. This is very likely why negotiations are being drawn out.

Personally I think we are seemingly less financially secure than what the media is perceiving and that's why I don't see Sancho here
Money for the Glazers first, what's left goes to the club.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The question is not the conclusiveness of the fee being agreed, it is if the Glazers / Woodward have the capability to pay what Dortmund are asking. I think no more than two weeks within the window

the club briefed wanting to pay 50-80 million if my memories correct. This is very likely why negotiations are being drawn out.
This is a point so many of the 'just pay the money' brigade refuse to believe, and which can be proven by even a cursory reading of our balance sheet and P&L.
And if you post out these facts, you'll get branded as a 'Glazer apologist' :lol:

I think United's best bid is around £90m and with £50m up front and 2 x £20m over 2 years. Perhaps some add-ons could also be included, but those would have to generate United extra revenues (Eg winning PL or CL).

redshaw

Hard to see United spending that now. Said a while back I can understand the club not going through with it due to the uncertainty of crowds coming back. Things did look hopeful briefly but it's now come to fruition with cases rising. There's a chance it will be reviewed of course but Nov to March is optimal for viruses and could well be spring or next season when fans enter the ground in a large number.

Seems only Germany have a reasonable handle on the virus out of the large european nations. Will be interesting if they can remain disciplined and careful enough to keep the cases low and enjoy matches in person safely. I'd be inclined to stay and play in front of fans if I was Sancho.

Status
Not open for further replies.