Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilcurt

My point is that we're not suffering from the lack of good youngsters joining; good adults is where we're failing miserably
Who are the good youngsters joining. An I'm not talking about 16-18 year olds in the academy as they have been signing for the last 7 years with none of them breaking through accept the homegrown players. So that obviously isn't working.

The last quality young player we purchased who has worked out is Martial.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Who are the good youngsters joining. An I'm not talking about 16-18 year olds in the academy as they have been signing for the last 7 years with none of them breaking through accept the homegrown players. So that obviously isn't working.

That's what I was referencing

dev1l

Problem is the day someone promising as MartiAl was at 18/19 will easily cost at least 70+m. At that prices you may get a ready made player

AneRu

A bigger issue than even that would be if we're in a state of turmoil and not looking like a club on the up. This summer, there was euphoria and the perfect time to sell the club and the project whilst saying we were on the up and had finally ridded ourselves of the inertia that was threatening to make us perennial 5th-hopeful 4th placers at best.

There's an allure to joining a club that looks like it's going places as opposed to one where the future really looks uncertain. If Ole's sacked, we'll be on to our 5th manager in 7 years and very probably dismantling the squad, again. I don't think much of that is appealing to players who will have their pick of clubs when the time comes (if it's not closed this window by us).

This brinkmanship notion that could potentially save us a few million doesn't seem to be particularly well thought out for the potential millions more it could lose us.
I think Woodward and Judge approached this window determined to make a point about the United tax and overpaying. It's just that for a club that lives in the glare of the media such an attitude will be counterproductive and the negativity has clearly seeped into the team and unless Ole can reverse the tide we are looking at another new manager and yet another grand rebuild that Woodward will back halfheartedly.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We would ruin him.
I know it sounds bad, but I do think we would ruin him.
Our coaching is so abysmal, most players we buy in, come in firing on all cylinders and a few months down the line, they turn to crap.
Wan Bissaka was so good when he joined us - look at him now.
Pogba was great in his first season with us and since then he went downhill. Today he was abysmal.
Baily was pretty good when he first joined us - he went downhill (although he is has been playing for us for the last few games).
Darmian - great player when he first joined us, then went downhill fast.
Miki - great when he joined us (remember that scorpion goal?) - then turned to absolute crap.
Sanchez - after one training session with our team asked if he could go back to Arsenal. Goodness knows what he saw at the first training session that made him think that.
Depay - when he joined us he was full of promise. Then he turned to crap.
Lukaku - his first season was decent, then he put on a lot of weight. IMO, he was obese when he finally left us and after joining Inter is back in shape.
Maguire - when he first joined us he was our best defender. Now, he is pretty average.

I could go on, but you get my drift. We destroy players and the most likely reason is poor coaching.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think Woodward and Judge approached this window determined to make a point about the United tax and overpaying.
If that is the case, why are we looking to pay £200k/week for a 33 year old and pay £10M to his agent?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I’d be more interested in signing Partey and Upamecano

stevoc

Our coaching is so abysmal, most players we buy in, come in firing on all cylinders and a few months down the line, they turn to crap.
Pogba was great in his first season with us and since then he went downhill. Today he was abysmal.
Baily was pretty good when he first joined us - he went downhill (although he is has been playing for us for the last few games).
Miki - great when he joined us (remember that scorpion goal?) - then turned to absolute crap.
Sanchez - after one training session with our team asked if he could go back to Arsenal. Goodness knows what he saw at the first training session that made him think that.
Lukaku - his first season was decent, then he put on a lot of weight. IMO, he was obese when he finally left us and after joining Inter is back in shape.
Maguire - when he first joined us he was our best defender. Now, he is pretty average.

I could go on, but you get my drift. We destroy players and the most likely reason is poor coaching.
I don't think we've had the same coaching staff for the last 6 years under 3 different managerial regimes though.

Also i doubt Darmian was ever a great player.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
This brinkmanship notion that could potentially save us a few million doesn't seem to be particularly well thought out for the potential millions more it could lose us.
The feckin' idiot will never learn this is football, not business, and his investment banking logic doesn't hold up.

Last time he laid out that sort of strategy was when he tried push Inter past the FFP deadline to get Perisic for 30M instead of 40M. Next thing you know Inter have sorted it out and are asking for 50M just for being a tosser.

AneRu

If that is the case, why are we looking to pay £200k/week for a 33 year old and pay £10M to his agent?
Those idiots probably think it's a huge coup and he is free after all. This is the same lot that gave Phil Jones a new contract so as to preserve his value.

Imo the Sancho deal was the wrong one to take a stand on because Dortmund are a big club in a top league unlike Sporting, with all due respect to them, that we bullied over Bruno. From Tuesday onwards I am certain the sordid details of our Sancho chase will begin to emerge, no wonder Woodward has reportedly upped his security.

DevilRed

Those idiots probably think it's a huge coup and he is free after all. This is the same lot that gave Phil Jones a new contract so as to preserve his value.

Imo the Sancho deal was the wrong one to take a stand on because Dortmund are a big club in a top league unlike Sporting, with all due respect to them, that we bullied over Bruno. From Tuesday onwards I am certain the sordid details of our Sancho chase will begin to emerge, no wonder Woodward has reportedly upped his security.
On one hand, we all want the player at any cost. He may single handedly lift this fog of shit and negativity from the club and kickstart our season proper. Might even fix our attack!

On the other, what will a fee of that magnitude do to our club? The perception that we will pay any asking price? We have been trying to change that Image since January IMO.

I can’t even imagine the pressure on Sancho if we break the transfer record for him. If it’s bad for Maguire it will be horrible for Sancho who is still a young and developing player. We can all see that just because you score in Germany, doesn’t mean it translates to the prem which is a much harder league.

red thru&thru

Have to agree with all the above. More than players, I feel we need a proper footballing set up. Just bring in VdS.

I know he will be limited with funds etc but those dark arts of planning and brining in players would be sorted.

davidmichael

Seeing as it takes two years to go from interested to monitoring to preparing a bid I guess it’s best we’re sure it’ll be accepted seeing as it’s deadline day tomorrow and it’ll take til next summer to get another bid prepared, fecking clueless fecking cnuts running the club.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think Woodward and Judge approached this window determined to make a point about the United tax and overpaying. It's just that for a club that lives in the glare of the media such an attitude will be counterproductive and the negativity has clearly seeped into the team and unless Ole can reverse the tide we are looking at another new manager and yet another grand rebuild that Woodward will back halfheartedly.
You have to consolidate your position before you make a stand like that though; take it or leave it only works when you've a position of strength that enables you to genuinely make good on threats and go elsewhere. By simply holding out and clearly having all your eggs in one basket save for a fee tentative inquiries elsewhere, you don't look strong and you don't fool anyone. Essentially, you're playing yourself, which is why time and again we cough up late because we've backed ourselves into a corner.

What's worse is putting noses out of joint with clubs you need working relationships with for your own self-interest further down the line (Haaland, Bellingham <insert whoever else comes along from Dortmund> ); we're going to be going back to Dortmund as soon as next summer, most likely; how are those talks going to go when we've already earned ourselves a reputation? Look at how Levy and Spurs are with us now for an example of the long-lasting damage that can be done.

There's better ways to make statements that we're a different animal to deal with from this point on than how we've gone about it. It's about the most baffling window I can recall - at least there was logic to the Fellaini feck up.

mav_9me

Any enthusiasm I had for this deal is pretty much gone after that today. Will still be happy if we get him, but a bit like finding a packet of skittles in your pocket after you've just shit your pants.
Haha.. My enthusiasm is gone too.

I’d be more interested in signing Partey and Upamecano
Where I am. Never going to happen anyway.

RUCK4444

Have to agree with all the above. More than players, I feel we need a proper footballing set up. Just bring in VdS.

I know he will be limited with funds etc but those dark arts of planning and brining in players would be sorted.
This is what this club needs more than anything. More than big marquee signings, and certainly more than a new manager.

It's bizarre why we haven't got a DOF in, actually I know why, It's Ed. He self appoints himself as the face of United transfers, the money man, billy big boll@x. Disgrace.

When you think about it that's the only logical explanation for us not having a DOF. It makes sense for the owners because it keeps the fans quiet to an extent but also should in theory make their money go further rather than making just marquee signings every other summer.

AneRu

On one hand, we all want the player at any cost. He may single handedly lift this fog of shit and negativity from the club and kickstart our season proper. Might even fix our attack!

On the other, what will a fee of that magnitude do to our club? The perception that we will pay any asking price? We have been trying to change that Image since January IMO.

I can’t even imagine the pressure on Sancho if we break the transfer record for him. If it’s bad for Maguire it will be horrible for Sancho who is still a young and developing player. We can all see that just because you score in Germany, doesn’t mean it translates to the prem which is a much harder league.
If the club had such doubts then they shouldn't have made him a prime target and seemingly expended so much effort on him. Woodward and co allowed a narrative that us getting CL meant that we would get Sancho and didn't do anything to dispel that rumor.

I don't care much if we get Sancho or not because imo DM and CB were more important this window because I don't trust Matic, Lindelof and Maguire as our core defensive axis.

Woodward and Judge strung the fanbase, Ole and the players along that they wanted to buy Sancho and bring him in. To do what they did after the effort to overhaul what was a huge deficit to get CL is why the morale at the club is low and the negativity has set in.

If we could see that the team was limping to the finish line I am sure as hell the players could feel it because for them it was a lived experience and hence Woodward's shenanigans must have been maddening to them.

DevilRed

Juve and Napoli has just been cancelled because of Covid. Authorities would not let Napoli travel because some of their players had the virus

Makes you wonder how the dippers are still playing?

It also brings up the question of whether we will see another stoppage in the league and CL soon.

Id imagine this would continue to devastate finances in football. Might not be the worse thing to wait till Jan or next summer to see if Dortmund would be in even deeper financial trouble.

kirk buttercup

Cavani , Telles , and VdB in with Sancho that would have been a pretty decent window with plenty of options . Without him it feels very underwhelming strangely.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The feckin' idiot will never learn this is football, not business, and his investment banking logic doesn't hold up.

Last time he laid out that sort of strategy was when he tried push Inter past the FFP deadline to get Perisic for 30M instead of 40M. Next thing you know Inter have sorted it out and are asking for 50M just for being a tosser.
It genuinely rankles as this was our chance to turn things around and what have we done? Ostensibly made them even worse! Morale at the club and within our squad is so low with Shaw actively citing the need for personnel. It's even worse when lockdown gave us half a year(!) to plan and be ready to go - with contingencies - once the window opened.

Woodward is not learning from his mistakes, and that, for me, is the biggest failing he has shown. There is no growth; no faking it until he makes it. It's maddening.

AneRu

You have to consolidate your position before you make a stand like that though; take it or leave it only works when you've a position of strength that enables you to genuinely make good on threats and go elsewhere. By simply holding out and clearly having all your eggs in one basket save for a fee tentative inquiries elsewhere, you don't look strong and you don't fool anyone. Essentially, you're playing yourself, which is why time and again we cough up late because we've backed ourselves into a corner.

What's worse is putting noses out of joint with clubs you need working relationships with for your own self-interest further down the line (Haaland, Bellingham <insert whoever else comes along from Dortmund> ); we're going to be going back to Dortmund as soon as next summer, most likely; how are those talks going to go when we've already earned ourselves a reputation? Look at how Levy and Spurs are with us now for an example of the long-lasting damage that can be done.

There's better ways to make statements that we're a different animal to deal with from this point on than how we've gone about it. It's about the most baffling window I can recall - at least there was logic to the Fellaini feck up.
Right on, on both accounts. We were not in a position to be making 'take it or leave it' offers for a player we had publicly and brazenly labelled our prime target. I also don't know what how the hell Woodward and Judge convinced themselves that Dortmund would cave in even after their much publicized stance on the fee and their deadline.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

That's not really an issue to concern ourselves with, imo. A 'Sancho', and players of that calibre, come along so infrequently that by the time the next one was available, and viable, for us, the furore over this pursuit will have subsided.

It's not the Sancho's, Shaw's, Pogba's, Martial-type fees and purchases that are the issue rather, paying £80m for a Maguire or £50m for a Wan-Bissaka or Fred. The former, touted as special players who had every chance of being world beaters, as opposed to the latter, who even at the time, looked like fleece jobs and the by-product of poor scouting and negotiation.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He's probably hoping we don't make the right offer right about now.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
From a football loving perspective, Sancho is better off in Dortmund. We would turn him into an average player pretty quickly with the dross we are serving up.

The club’s problems run deeper than this acquisition. Maguire, Pogba etc are proving to be (relative) overpaid flops under our system and we don’t need to add Sancho to that list.

DevilRed

Cavani , Telles , and VdB in with Sancho that would have been a pretty decent window with plenty of options . Without him it feels very underwhelming strangely.
One more to go!

I think if we did sign Sancho it would put us in contention for at least a respectable run at second place.

RUCK4444

From a football loving perspective, Sancho is better off in Dortmund. We would turn him into an average player pretty quickly with the dross we are serving up.

The club’s problems run deeper than this acquisition. Maguire, Pogba etc are proving to be (relative) overpaid flops under our system and we don’t need to add Sancho to that list.
OK this is brilliant. So what we need to do is sign rubbish players and avoid the good players.

Let's avoid all up and coming talents and sign nobodies so we don't ruin their careers. C'mon ffs.

Acquire Me

OK this is brilliant. So what we need to do is sign rubbish players and avoid the good players.

Let's avoid all up and coming talents and sign nobodies so we don't ruin their careers. C'mon ffs.
There you go, mate. These are our new supporters

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
There you go, mate. These are our new supporters
Ive supported United for over 25 years. I think it’s a fair assumption to make that we don’t have the best recent record in nurturing young talent. As I’ve said before, from a general footballing perspective Sancho is better off elsewhere.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ive supported United for over 25 years. I think it’s a fair assumption to make that we don’t have the best recent record in nurturing young talent. As I’ve said before, from a general footballing perspective Sancho is better off elsewhere.
Yep Rashford and Greenwood have done shit haven't they

Acquire Me

Then you should know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.