Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungrywing

It'll trickle out in dribs and drabs all our antics during the window regarding this shambles, I think.

What's really bugging me is we've gone in there trying to strong arm a club who see themselves as something of a big deal (whether that perception of self is justified or not is subjective) and thought we could play the big shot and make a statement whilst doing so. What's actually happened is they've made a name off our backs as a club who won't be dicked around and we've come out looking even worse for future endeavours than we went into the window with! We've also soured relations with them.

If there is another round of us going in for Sancho, I bet we take heed of their stance in a way we didn't this time, but I think the ship has sailed as the player cannot be amused, plus our turmoil as a club is not enticing. Bayern's chase for Hudson-Odoi is going to be the inlet for Sancho to go there.

It's mind-boggling watching Woodward in such an esteemed position making hash after hash after hash with no comeuppance.
I posted about the bolded part somewhere: essentially he's slightly above the Glazers. There are areas overlap where he defers to them but overall he's like a king's steward with a bunch of unworthy heirs unfit to actually rule.

Usually his posturing would just hurt him and not the club. And I'm pretty sure the club is still okay; it'd take many many many years of Woodward to affect the regard that the footballing world has for the institution.

But I posted before that at this point, for a great many people within footballing circles, it will have become a point of principle to stick it to Woodward. AKA to not do so will expose one to the ridicule of others. It's really really really bad. It's taken the fanbase this long to start speaking in nearly one voice that vaguely he's 'incompetent' (even this time last year there was a decent amount of 'Well he's still a financial genius', which thankfully has died down to a tiny trickle now).

Meanwhile, what he is is much much much worse than 'incompetent', and a huge chunk of the footballing world has known it - and even taken advantage of it - for years.

SATA

Bayern already have Sane on their right wing and why would Sancho want to stay in Germany again when he's looking for a move away from it? It's us again or Chelsea next window

Marcus

To be honest, we have so many problem areas that spending this much on one player is a wasted opportunity to strengthen elsewhere.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I do think we'll get him next year.

But I also thought we'd get him this year

rotherham_red

They've just got themselves a full on attacking line; this was never the window when they would be going in for Sancho, hence we had a clear run with every other club who could contest for him having other priorities or superior players already lining up for them (Liverpool with Mane and Salah, for example).

It doesn't matter what CHO actually fetches, it's still a solid chunk towards Sancho. He just signed a new contract worth £120k p/w, was it? Get that reallocated and topped up for Sancho, and he's facilitated the move.
Bro, come on :lol:

They bought players who should never have been priorities for them. They already had a good and strong attack. Their issues were all defensive, which is where they scrimped on. I highly doubt they'll have the same amount of funds this time next summer, so what funds they do have will be to rectify the problem areas they do have. The attack isn't one of those areas.

They had their opportunity to do something about Sancho pre-lockdown and they didn't.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This deal was like a work of science fiction with media writing countless spinoffs to a wonderful fantasy vision.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
As our board has proven they are incompetent it is very much possible that they messed it up.
However it could also be that BVB never wanted to sell but in order to keep Sancho happy they told him they would let him go for 120 mil. However if they really insisted on all or most of it upfront, they knew that in the current climate we wouldn’t meet this ridiculous demand anyway. Win-win situation for them.

However what is really unacceptable is that our board didn’t clarify this and then decide to move on and pursue other targets early in the window. This is typical of our board and I am lost for words. Now we will panic buy and waste ridiculous money on players who will be deadwood in a couple of years.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He's been told not to report to England due to breaching Coronavirus protocols over the weekend.

Which roughly translates to "he's having a medical"

Giggsy13

feck our club but also feck Dortmund and their crazy demands. Last year they were rumoured for be asking to be asking for Greenwood as part of the deal now this mockery of an August deadline.

Dortmund run the risk now of losing value on Sancho and having be more disgruntled next year if a move fails to materialize next year. Sancho wants to return to the premier league so it’s likely us, the dippers and the rents who will be in for him. That may cause a bidding war or may not,if the long term effects of Covid are as serious as anticipated.

VanGaalEra

The thing that's sad is:
  • Van de beek - €40m
  • Traore - €30m
  • Pellistri - €10m
  • Telles - €20m
  • Cavani - massive wages/agent fees
That's €100m in transfer fees, not counting any fees for cavani. Sancho was very possible if we made the offer back in August, based on what we seemingly have spent this window between transfer fees, agent fees and wages for all these players. It was a huge chance to get a world class right winger who is young and would make a huge difference, give us a lift to build on last season. Squad players are much easier to sign than someone like that. Yet here we are, spending all this money on deadline day because everything else failed. What a mess.
Don't make me cry :(

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I cannot wait to hear the club spin as to how this didn’t get done this summer. Ornstein podcast this week will be full of absolute drivel straight from Woodward.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I posted about the bolded part somewhere: essentially he's slightly above the Glazers. There are areas overlap where he defers to them but overall he's like a king's steward with a bunch of unworthy heirs unfit to actually rule.

Usually his posturing would just hurt him and not the club. And I'm pretty sure the club is still okay; it'd take many many many years of Woodward to affect the regard that the footballing world has for the institution.

But I posted before that at this point, for a great many people within footballing circles, it will have become a point of principle to stick it to Woodward. AKA to not do so will expose one to the ridicule of others. It's really really really bad. It's taken the fanbase this long to start speaking in nearly one voice that vaguely he's 'incompetent' (even this time last year there was a decent amount of 'Well he's still a financial genius', which thankfully has died down to a tiny trickle now).

Meanwhile, what he is is much much much worse than 'incompetent', and a huge chunk of the footballing world has known it - and even taken advantage of it - for years.
For me, you can't just go round trying to boot these kind of clubs to the side because you're bigger than them. It smacks of what happened with Spurs and Levy who we had a decent relationship with before it turned to unfettered hate and Levy made it his personal business to try and rinse us rather than be amicable so that we'd steer clear in future, which we have. There's no reason to sour these relationships nor act like that. Even if you're using your stature, you finesse, not strong arm. Nobody likes a bully or a bigshot and it becomes a matter of principle to stand up to them, which is completely avoidable with a bit of tact. Evra and Rio alluded to it, and it's pretty clear in our conduct that we have nobody dealing with these clubs who smooths the process.

As @antohan said earlier, these business practices Ed probably had success with in his former career are not transferable and have made him/us a completely different entity to what we should be. You use your name to unsettle the player and then you use your negotiating team to eek out the best deal and at the end of the process you establish a strong working relationship that you can tap into further down the line. It's more like a madman taking chunks out of the pipeline with how we're bumbling along and that proverbial axe should have been taken out of Ed's hands if he has no idea how to wield the thing. In this instance, he's strengthened the position of the club he was negotiating with... how can he then be allowed to have free rein going into other transfer windows?

I've said before that I sincerely believe Woodward is trying his best and wants the adulation and repute of being a savvy, master negotiator and that he certainly does not revel in being a heel for the Glazers, but he has to have the humility and self-awareness to say he doesn't know what he's doing and employ others that do. Hell, take all the credit after the i's are dotted and t's are crossed, if that's what sates your ego, but step aside and take care of affairs that you do know what you're doing in!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Apparently Romano has some details on how this went wrong from being so close that he's said he'd share once the deadline has passed. Probably just trying to rinse as much attention from this as possible, but could be an indicator of how we handle this shite.

Judas

Open to offers
Apparently Romano has some details on how this went wrong from being so close that he's said he'd share once the deadline has passed. Probably just trying to rinse as much attention from this as possible, but could be an indicator of how we handle this shite.
We all know what happened, Woody etc. tried to be clever and fecked it up. We know how this goes, we've been here before.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Bro, come on :lol:

They bought players who should never have been priorities for them. They already had a good and strong attack. Their issues were all defensive, which is where they scrimped on. I highly doubt they'll have the same amount of funds this time next summer, so what funds they do have will be to rectify the problem areas they do have. The attack isn't one of those areas.

They had their opportunity to do something about Sancho pre-lockdown and they didn't.
I don't know what else to say regarding this: we were in a one-horse race this summer for obvious reasons. Our need for a RW is also dire, Chelsea's position has never been fragile there and the outlay for Sancho, given that knowledge, is not going to be a priority when they had so many other positions Lampard wanted to improve upon.

That will not be the same next summer, especially so if CHO's on his way (depending on how persistent Bayern are, and they really seem to be in on CHO for the long haul - they really want the player!) and I think you're underestimating Chelsea's massive selling network. Funds for the rest of the team will always come from that, if not Abramovich propping as he sees fit.

If you're talking funds, it's us who I would worry about not being able to meet the evaluation given we've barely any saleable assets and seem intent on blowing whatever load we have this window rather than carrying 'Sancho money' over into next summer's window.

Loon

:lol:
The conduct of the club throughout this farce has been deserving of the derision it’s getting from all quarters.

How can they not look at this piss and say “how do we avoid looking like cocks in future?”

DevTheRed

I can 100% see him return to City next season. With Ageruo getting on and Mahrez turning 30 in February they’ll definitely look to offload and bring reinforcements for their attack.

Will be sad to see but unless by some miracle we get him in the next 8 hours I just can’t see this ever happening.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Looking forward to it, even tiny bit of truth about state of things can help understand what is really going on in United. This could be a great year of exposing current chain of command to the fullest extent.

clarkydaz

im sure its likely ego involved, we walked off in a huff not being able to lowball them

Infra-red

Doesn't sound like it was ever even remotely close to happening.

Dortmund named their price and stuck to it. Woodward thought they were bluffing - he was completely wrong.

el3mel

The only surprise here is how people kept believing BVB will sell their best player in the last 2 or 3 days of the market.

This one was dead long time ago but you guys just refused to move on.

Offsideagain

Sancho will be in isolation now having attended some muppets birthday party at the weekend. They will never learn.

Judas

Open to offers
To be fair, I said it at the start of the year, if we're not getting him, as long as he never ends up at Liverpool alright then. Hard to be too bitter when we're quite simply just useless, and will continue to be so as long as the mugs we've got calling the shots are in charge.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Dortmund named their price and stuck to it. Woodward thought they were bluffing - he was completely wrong.
Nah, I think we were at one point. We had agent fees and contract stuff arranged in August, and some people even suggesting the marketing team was ready to go.

Something happened to make us change course of action. I think it will probably be put down to the second wave of Covid in Manchester curtailing any chance of even a small number of fans coming to OT. Remember even 20,000 people through the door would have been comfortably over £1m in revenue. 10 games of that would probably have covered the difference in price.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Has it been said that, Woodward is a cnut?

IAmAWinner

Solskjaer will likely be sacked in the not so distant future, would the next manager even want Sancho?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm willing to bet Sancho will have been sold by this time next year... but not to us. Can just see others coming in and getting the deal done in 20 minutes

el3mel

This saga was absolutely awful though. Imagine +1322 pages of literally nothing. No news or going up and down. It's just people hoping it's done even though it was dead. Just terrible saga to follow all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.