Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiagoal

Such high profile signings are what stimulates shirt sales and massive marketing opportunities throughout the world! For that reason, Sancho will be in a United shirt next season and we’ll begrudgingly pay the fee Dortmund are demanding

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You mean like the brief that United put out obviously to put pressure on Dortmund, with Dortmund countering it within 24 hours? It's the typical United transfer way... saying we'll walk away and look elsewhere unless the price is dropped before ultimately paying up anyway.
There will be a resolution soon, i'm sure of it. Just have to ride it out as per usual transfer sagas involving United.
I mean for most people here there are only two kind of news: good news and strategic false reports that are really just more good news. If you stop seeing everything through the lense of top 10 anime betrayals, then you see that it could make sense that United would not want to pay €120m at this point and with good reason. If the deal should not materialize there would have been plenty of fair warning published already.

Thiagoal

Is it me or are MU purposely putting out a lot of debut content/tweets/features on their social media channels?

Is this a coincidence or part of a marketing strategy in preperation for Sanchos debut?

Maybe theyve always done this and I'm reading too much into it, but it seems a lot.
The big clue was the report the other day on the Utd website celebrating the fact we’re always breaking transfer records...hmmm

TsuWave

If a club offered us 130m for Pogba i'm sure half the forum would pitch in for a limo to take him to the airport
This forum is also full of people that saw Mctominay as future captain, Dan James has a great prospect, and wanted to indulge Mourinho when he wanted rid of Martial.

bsCallout

The big clue was the report the other day on the Utd website celebrating the fact we’re always breaking transfer records...hmmm
Wow did not know that.

I've been certain the deal is already done but I can't figure out what we are waiting for if was not for the 7th of the month.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I mean for most people here there are only two kind of news: good news and strategic false reports that are really just more good news. If you stop seeing everything through the lense of top 10 anime betrayals, then you see that it could make sense that United would not want to pay €120m at this point and with good reason. If the deal should not materialize there would have been plenty of fair warning published already.
Completely agree with you there. One thing i have noticed quite a bit is the reluctance to believe the good news, but when something negative is posted, even by known BS'ers, it's pounced on and believed instantly, meaning the transfer is off etc.
Personally i believe it'll happen. Theres not really been anything posted to the contrary aside from the usual United pressure of walking away etc which is normal for us. I do agree Covid has changed the landscape somewhat, but United must be aware that it's probably now or never... as has been pointed out, if we miss out on him now, lots of clubs will be in for him next year.

Eleven-Eighteen

It is exactly because he is 20 that he is worth this.

He is one of the most prolific players in the world, at 20.

He will get better and 120 million over a 10 year MU career is only 12mil per year. That is a bargain for a player of his quality.
I understand that's the logic going into this. But those are massive shoes for anyone to fill, especially a 20 year old.

I mean we have had absolute shit to show for big money transfers - Sanchez, DiMaria are the obvious names but even Pogba has at best middled, and the jury's still out on our skipper.

A player costing 120m, 250k+ a week in wages and all this fanfare and expectation...i'm a little wary after all these years. He'd have to put in 7/10 performances pretty much every game he starts with very frequent 9 and 10 performances. That's not a small ask at Man United.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I understand that's the logic going into this. But those are massive shoes for anyone to fill, especially a 20 year old.

I mean we have had absolute shit to show for big money transfers - Sanchez, DiMaria are the obvious names but even Pogba has at best middled, and the jury's still out on our skipper.

A player costing 120m, 250k+ a week in wages and all this fanfare and expectation...i'm a little wary after all these years. He'd have to put in 7/10 performances pretty much every game he starts with very frequent 9 and 10 performances. That's not a small ask at Man United.
You'll upset some on this forum with this assessments, especially those that are particularly evangelical when it comes to Pogba but you're still absolutely right.

Eleven-Eighteen

You'll upset some on this forum with this assessments, especially those that are particularly evangelical when it comes to Pogba but you're still absolutely right.
Surely not anymore...now that Bruno has come in and shown what a game changing signing actually looks like.

kitress

I fully expect Ed to drag the negotiations past the Europa League campaign. No one else is in for Sancho, so it's in Ed's hands now. If he can knock off a few quids from the price tag, great. Otherwise he'd save a few weeks of wage. Plus the team is concentrating on the Europa League now, they don't need a distraction like Sancho coming in right now.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
He’s getting number 11; will be announced on Tuesday!
If the deal is done, and i do believe it will be (i'm sure we'd have moved on by now if there was a true impasse), then i personally think he'll be getting the number 7 shirt.

bsCallout

Whilst he might have to put in those sort of performances to not be criticised by the media, that doesn't mean he won't have been of value. Again 12m per year would be a bargain.

There are so many factors to those purchases you mentioned. For a start, Sanchez wasn't particularly expensive, his wages were but the transfer wasn't. He was also much later in his career. Di Maria was also much further in his career and ultimately didn't want to be in England. None of those things apply to Sancho.

Pogba, in my opinion, was a great purchase. He is unfairly criticised because of his price tag but I'd rather have him in our team than not and under our current manager he seems a different player, particularly mentally. Shirt sales, media attention & ticket sales also arguably covered the fee.

Sancho will be amongst friends and compatriots. He is a young player than hasn't even established himself in the England squad really and has everything to do to prove himself, unlike Sanchez and Di Maria.

Sancho will be battling another potential 'generational talent' in Mason Greenwood.

Have you noticed the energy and support between players like Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Pogba & Greenwood. Sancho will feed into all that.

United are on the up and everything surrounding the club is positive, except a few transfer pessimists, that wasn't the case when Di Maria, Sanchez or even Pogba joined(despite cautious optimism at the time).

That would be my defence of the transfer fee. I think it will be money well spent for a prolific young English player, playing for Englands biggest club.

devips

This forum is also full of people that saw Mctominay as future captain, Dan James has a great prospect, and wanted to indulge Mourinho when he wanted rid of Martial.
Yes, I do see McTominay as a future captain, and Dan James as a good prospect, fumbling a little in his first season at a big club. I am not a knee-jerker like some of you here, coming to conclusion about players in a split second.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
You mean like reports stating that both clubs are still very far apart, because United plead Covid and Dortmund don't want to lower their demand?
As in actual reports that United have walked away, rather than prepared to walk away. And Dortmund stating they won't be selling him and he'll be staying for the year.

OrcaFat

I think you are getting this in a wrong way. Do we need Sancho? Yes absolutely. As what you mentioned we need him to provide competition for our front three & adding more quality in the squad.

However. Are we so desperate for Sancho? No. We shouldn't just be a good boy and do what Dortmund exactly ask for when we already have such a good front three. If Dortmund wants to play the hard ball then it's very stupid for them.
We should get him as cheap as we can, of course. But we should get him. Or someone of his quality, I don’t mind which. What I don’t want is more “squad” players.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Surely not anymore...now that Bruno has come in and shown what a game changing signing actually looks like.
You'll see some posts contending that he is one of the best in the world based on his performances here. Comedy gold for fans of other clubs and justifiably so.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I have it on good authority that Sancho will be announced at either 8 pm tonight, 9 pm tomorrow, or 10 pm the following day.

;)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let's just get the deal done. If Dortmund insist on 120m and we don't want other clubs to take advantage of us anymore, just bid 119m, and convinced Dortmund to sell.

SwedishFish

And going forward, commercial revenues (i.e. advertising) will probably get repriced. I've seen it first hand, first thing that gets cut in a crisis is advertising/marketing revenue.
So it would be insane to dump 120M Euros into Borussia hands with so much uncertainty going forward. Wait a year and you can save 70M or wait 2 years and get the boy free.

I'm just speaking as a business person not as a muppet fan.
Allegedly we're having no problems finding suitors for a new shirt deal, despite COVID and it most likely will be a shirt deal that trumps the record deal we have with Chevrolet.

You say uncertainty and granted there is some. But the likelyhood that we'll have a vaccine in place in 1-2 years time is big and I speak knowing people who work within that field.

I also work in advertising and know these things, but I also know that whilst you might not have the same width of advertisers you will have a few who are willing to invest who hold major capital.

The biggest risk we run at bringing down our commercial revenue is by consistently devaluing our brand by not delivering results.

A few years ago we could get a deal on the virtue of being Manchester United. The greatest and most successful club in England.

If we fail to win another Premier League title in the next say 10 years I can guarantee you that we will take an even bigger hit from that than the current pandemic.

Commercial deals and TV revenue will take a hit as well if things continue to go ahead like this.
TV revenue will most likely not take a hit, there are many interested parties. A main reason why Glazer hasn't capitalized on their investment is because they expect another hike in broadcasting revenue. Suitors like Amazon will want to take a bigger share of the market and that could go for European competition as well.

As long as there is interest, there will be broadcasting revenue.

As for Commercial deals read what I wrote above.

Status
Not open for further replies.