Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkLord

There's no reason not to pay the 120m if its spread out sufficiently. Our squad is so young that once we get another 3 or 4 good players in we shouldn't need huge windows from next season onwards. We may not need really to sign another forward for the best part of a decade if all goes to plan. We could get 12 years out of him. 10m a year for a superstar is a no brainer.

You think they'd have sold to Bayern for 35m?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's 20. We'll get a decade out of him. This will look very cheap in a few years.
Okay maybe not 35m but 50 m to 60 m. I don't think they would sell to Bayern for anywhere more than 80m. I don't even recall Bayern ever paying that much for a player.

SteveW

Okay maybe not 35m but 50 m to 60 m. I don't think they would sell to Bayern for anywhere more than 80m. I don't even recall Bayern ever paying that much for a player.
They pick up good Germans towards the end of their contracts. Sancho is more like signing a Ronaldo, Mbappe or a Neymar. You don't see Bayern picking them up on the cheap.

Rolaholic

They spent a Bundesliga record 80m just last year for Lucas Hernandez.

Traditionally they've definitely bought low and sold high and have tended not to spend crazy money in the market but they're also a club that'll adapt to the current realities do they've been a little more open to spreading their purse wider recently than before.

I don't think Dortmund would've sold them Sancho for less than 100m though, they were but hard by the Lewandowski transfer and I highlt doubt they'd look to sell their best player to a direct title rival for little or nothing again.

Icemav

It's no secret to the entire footballing world that Manchester United is a money making juggernaut. Remember Dortmund rinsed Barca with Dembele, too, knowing full well their money making capacity. They're well aware of the United world-wide muppetry that will come with Sancho, and the shirt sales, etc.

I don't blame them for trying to rinse us. As much as we hate it, football is a business.
Its the only thing that pisses me off in this move. Dortmund hoover up top young talent and give them game time in systems where they can thrive. Then they offload and pocket mucho dinero. It almost seems cynical. I look forward to skipping the middle man in the future. I know Jadon is a big talent but like Dembele its a lot of risk relative to the price whereas we scooped up Fernandes for 40million. That is the type of business that is win win. Now if Jadon happens to become a truly dominant player then none of us will give a damn but in general it is not a strategy I feel comfortable with.

Red_Orchestra

For those who don't know, here's a little quick update on whats going on with Sancho.

The transfer is now reported to be something close to £60-£70m upfront, followed by two further add-ons (performance-related) totaling to a maximum of £45 million in add-ons.
Dortmund have also set a deadline of August 10 to get any deal done.

TsuWave

Sancho would never move for £60M. The guy is 20 and has had back to back seasons with double digits for both goals and assists. Pulisic who was riding the bench at the time, moved for £60M and you think the guy responsible for him riding the bench would move for the same amount?

Strelok

Its the only thing that pisses me off in this move. Dortmund hoover up top young talent and give them game time in systems where they can thrive. Then they offload and pocket mucho dinero. It almost seems cynical. I look forward to skipping the middle man in the future. I know Jadon is a big talent but like Dembele its a lot of risk relative to the price whereas we scooped up Fernandes for 40million. That is the type of business that is win win. Now if Jadon happens to become a truly dominant player then none of us will give a damn but in general it is not a strategy I feel comfortable with.
No you can't mate.

It sounds easy at first but actually only clubs with no big silverware ambition aka feeder clubs can do this. Only them can have the luxury of playing youngsters so they can develop. Big clubs must win big titles, they usually don't have time nor room for a youngster unless he's already matured at a very young age. And you don't ask your super stars to stay on the bench for the sake of developing some youngsters.

Or you can do a Chelsea, buy a lot of potential young players then send them out on loan. Then call them back when they're ready. Some will work, most don't. But that cost some money too, for example we paid £9m for a 16 yo Mejbri. Problem is you still have to give them matches in order to see how they would do. Chelsea wasted a lot of good talent with their loan system and could only 'discovered' some with their transfer ban. Big clubs hardly have any room for youngsters, unfortunately.

We have and will see big clubs continue to spend ridiculous amounts on transfers, that's how the system works and there are so many reasons behind.

SteveW

For those who don't know, here's a little quick update on whats going on with Sancho.

The transfer is now reported to be something close to £60-£70m upfront, followed by two further add-ons (performance-related) totaling to a maximum of £45 million in add-ons.
Dortmund have also set a deadline of August 10 to get any deal done.
I think pretty much everyone in this thread is up to date but thanks.

Still don't want to get too excited until this one is official. I would be too much of a disappointment. The muppet sagas of the last decade are nothing. He's better than anyone we were after since Ronaldinho.

I have faith though. I'm sure Ed has had it well and truly explained that this is not one to feck up.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I don't think it does. Sure, he is young and he will gives us more in attacking zone. I give you that. That isn't a problem. Problem is that we can't complain when injuries come and we have to play those who aren't up for it because all our budget went on Sancho. I'm for buying working players now that we got already quality upfront. Not star players that, based on latest years, haven't lived up to expectations. Except Fernandes. This is a risk. If we end up buying I hope it turns out great.

When it comes to Sanchez I'm waiting for officiall statement. To many times players have signed for clubs that actually never happened.
We have to trust Ole's ability to select going after the right players. So far, almost everyone of them have had very positive impact on the team and out performances. (Ok James is debatable but as a squad player he is a pretty good option to have.)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No you can't mate.

It sounds easy at first but actually only clubs with no big silverware ambition aka feeder clubs can do this. Only them can have the luxury of playing youngsters so they can develop. Big clubs must win big titles, they usually don't have time nor room for a youngster unless he's already matured at a very young age. And you don't ask your super stars to stay on the bench for the sake of developing some youngsters.

Or you can do a Chelsea, buy a lot of potential young players then send them out on loan. Then call them back when they're ready. Some will work, most don't. But that cost some money too, for example we paid £9m for a 16 yo Mejbri. Problem is you still have to give them matches in order to see how they would do. Chelsea wasted a lot of good talent with their loan system and could only 'discovered' some with their transfer ban. Big clubs hardly have any room for youngsters, unfortunately.

We have and will see big clubs continue to spend ridiculous amounts on transfers, that's how the system works and there are so many reasons behind.
How is that Chelsea's fault? For all the talents they have some will make it, some wont.

Chelsea's system is fine, and credit where it's due. It's a win win for everyone involved. Here are some benefits I can see signing with Chelsea:
1. Stable income, higher than what they're getting
2. Being loaned easily, it's not like they're forced to play at Chelsea reserves
3. Having access to better medical, better academy standard, better coaching
4. Enjoying the exposure from being under Chelsea FC banner compared to playing in some eastern Europe club (no offence)
5. If they made it, good contracts awaits
6. If they don't make it, chances are D1 or D2 can potentially purchase them
7. Immigration advantages, permit, learning new culture

Nobody put a gun on their head, if they had better options they're free to choose, most don't.

Oeanje

Hopefully this lineup can come through

Martial
Rashford Havertz Sancho
Fernandes Pogba
Shaw Magalhaes Maguire AWB
De Gea

Last edited:

meamth

4-4-2 anyone?

-----------------------De Gea-------------------
AWB-------Lindelof---Maguire--Shaw
Sancho---Pogba--Bruno----Rashford
--------------Greenwood--Martial-------

We will be absolutely trashed in midfield, and Maguire/Lindelof has to step up and control the game from deep.

But who cares? I want all of our star forwards to play! :lol:

Icemav

No you can't mate.

I know there are solid reasons behind it both commercial and footballing. But buying Sancho for 8million and flogging him for 100million 3 years later before his 20th birthday seems ridiculous to me and an unhealthy system. Like Dembele bought for 15million from Rennes and flogged a year later for 105million at 20yearsold.

I don't at all have a problem with the idea of feeder clubs that develop young talent but I find the situation with Dortmund absurd and I look forward to their bluff being called at some stage with these huge price tages. It smells like a ponzi scheme to me and if enough big clubs get burned on their deals then the big big transfers stop and the young player - agent business model goes kaput. Now I will admit that Dortmund are doing a supeb'ish job so far but this idea of pumping out a generational talent every 2 seasons (based on price tag) is grating on me. They better hope that Sancho turns into a superstar otherwise that might be the last big money exit for a while. Haaland is of coure their next cash cow. Rant over. Apologies.

Last edited:

Jackal981

Why there are tons of delusional morons saying we are rinsed and if other clubs bought him it would be 50-60m ? They need to get their brain checked. Osimhen just went for 80m and they thought Sancho would be 60m ? Jesus christ

Reactions: Fortitude

hungrywing

4-4-2 anyone?

We will be absolutely trashed in midfield, and Maguire/Lindelof has to step up and control the game from deep.

Outmanned in MF maybe but would opposition fullbacks be allowed to leave their 18-yard box let alone their third of the pitch?

meamth

Outmanned in MF maybe but would opposition fullbacks be allowed to leave their 18-yard box let alone their third of the pitch?
It could work, during phase attack, CB would have to overload the midfield, particularly Maguire and Shaw has to cover the CB area while Pogba drifting to the left flank.

Attack phase:

--------------------De Gea----------------
--------Lindelof--------Shaw-----------
-----------------Maguire-------------------
AWB---------Bruno----------Pogba--
Sancho-----Greenwood---Rashford
-----------------Martial---------------------

Defenders would have nightmare facing this line up, maybe the lesser quality teams...

RyRy11

I know there are solid reasons behind it both commercial and footballing. But buying Sancho for 8million and flogging him for 100million 3 years later before his 20th birthday seems ridiculous to me and an unhealthy system. Like Dembele bought for 15million from Rennes and flogged a year later for 105million at 20yearsold.

I don't at all have a problem with the idea of feeder clubs that develop young talent but I find the situation with Dortmund absurd and I look forward to their bluff being called at some stage with these huge price tages. It smells like a ponzi scheme to me and if enough big clubs get burned on their deals then the big big transfers stop and the young player - agent business model goes kaput. Now I will admit that Dortmund are doing a supeb'ish job so far but this idea of pumping out a generational talent every 2 seasons (based on price tag) is grating on me. They better hope that Sancho turns into a superstar otherwise that might be the last big money exit for a while. Haaland is of coure their next cash cow. Rant over. Apologies.
What a bizarre take.. Dortmund aren’t the first or last club to do this, selling clubs have been around for decades

Strelok

I don't at all have a problem with the idea of feeder clubs that develop young talent but I find the situation with Dortmund absurd and I look forward to their bluff being called at some stage with these huge price tages. It smells like a ponzi scheme to me and if enough big clubs get burned on their deals then the big big transfers stop and the young player - agent business model goes kaput. So far though Dortmund are doing a good'ish job but they better hope that Sancho turns into a superstar otherwise that might be the last big money exit for a while. Haaland is of coure their next cash cow. Rant over. Apologies.
Oh no apologize needed mate.

I just want to point out why, despite how ridiculous and unhealthy the system looks, there are valid reasons for Dortmund, Porto, Benfica, Rennes, Monaco etc. continue to do so. They has a perfect setup for this. And us, the bigger clubs who have basically no room or time for young players will have to continue to cough up ridiculous amounts to get the best players. I don't like it either but we have to live with that I think.

For any transfer, there's always risks involved so how Sancho would turn out for us is not really their fault. We agree to buy him, so we agree to the risks involved.

Regarding Haaland, as far as I know he has a release clause around ~£60m. If he continues to perform like recently, he'll leave pretty soon imo. With a really big contract of course. Point is, would any big club accept that clause? That's why those feeder clubs exist, they have a big role to play in the system.

Icemav

Oh no apologize needed mate.

I just want to point out why, despite how ridiculous and unhealthy the system looks, there are valid reasons for Dortmund, Porto, Benfica, Rennes, Monaco etc. continue to do so. They has a perfect setup for this. And us, the bigger clubs who have basically no room or time for young players will have to continue to cough up ridiculous amounts to get the best players. I don't like it either but we have to live with that I think.

For any transfer, there's always risks involved so how Sancho would turn out for us is really not their fault. We agree to buy him, so we agree to the risks involved.

Regarding Haaland, as far as I know he has a release clause around ~£60m. If he continues to perform like recently, he'll leave pretty soon imo. With a really big contract of course. Point is, would any big club accept that clause? That's why those feeder clubs exist, they have a big role to play in the system.
They certainly do have an important role to play in the football ecosystem. Its just for me the price tags that Dortmund are using. They are trying to engineer a generational talent factory and so far I have not seen proof of that. Great young talent identification and development, but not to the point where these huge investments are guaranteed.

meamth

I have no problem with selling clubs.
Agreed, Dortmund has the advantage of poaching the wonderkids because of their proven track records.. it's their model of profit. Not all clubs can offer what they offer to young players. Top flight football and Champions league experience. Can't blame them.

Imo, they are better morally than Bayern though, who poach established stars for cheap or free.

NYAS

You make it sound like Dortmund are selling fake watches. The players are the ones who force their own value up through their performances and output. I mean we can all see what the players do on the pitch, it’s not like some money-laundering scheme hidden from the public eye in Watzke’s basement.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I’m hoping we sign another player in MF (VDB or Grealish, understand Grealish is off limits) and a CB. But if this signing restricts us to only one of the two, I’m happy, I’d rather have Sancho.

Agreed, we are building a solid foundation and team with a vision for the type of player we want. In total, we’re 5 players off having a great squad IMO (4 after Sancho). If it takes another two windows to get there, so be it. Let’s have a little patience.
I suspect the fallback plan is to have Sancho move into the central position to deputise for Bruno and provide the creative spark besides being an interchangeable front 3. He certainly looks like a better final third passer than any of the front 3 at the moment.

Terminator

It's actually hard for me to find a player to compare him to because usually you either have playmaking wingers or the typical modern wide forwards with very clearly defined characteristics but Sancho is really both and I think that is what makes him so outstanding, he is just a very complete player.
I usually refrain from hyping players but if there ever was something like a "Ribery/Robben"-hybrid then Sancho is certainly the closest one I have seen in the last 10, 15 years. The only other comparison that comes to my mind would be someone like Figo who was similarly versatile though I'd say Sancho doesn't have the same technical flair but an even better output (I mean his output is just crazy for his age).
The one area where he needs to improve is that he needs to impose himself more on games (he looked a bit more timid playing for England than for Dortmund imo) but considering his age that's of course asking a lot and I'm sure if his head is right that won't be a problem in the future either.
So considering that some here think there is too much hype about Sancho I actually think he is still somewhat underrated due to Dortmund's role behind us (and thus more limited exposure) and their attempt to not put too much pressure on Sancho.
Except Mbappe I don't think I've seen a more promising teenager (just based on performance, on potential you can always argue that there were others) since Messi/CR.
Terms like "generational talent" often get thrown around easily but Sancho has already created Bundesliga records for his age class and whatever you think about the Bundesliga but even Ribery/Robben at their peak would have had difficulty to produce his numbers:
Ribery's best season was 32 games, 12 goals, 21 assists
Robben's was 26 games, 13 goals, 12 assists

Sancho:
18/19: 34 games, 12 goals, 17 assists
19/20: 32 games, 17 goals, 17 assists

Sancho has already leveled the best seasons of players like Ribery and Robben and that TWO seasons in a row while being 18-20 years old.
Thank you for the detailed post!

Revan

Assumptionman
Why there are tons of delusional morons saying we are rinsed and if other clubs bought him it would be 50-60m ? They need to get their brain checked. Osimhen just went for 80m and they thought Sancho would be 60m ? Jesus christ
There is this Caf myth called 'United tax'. Obviously it is a stupid concept based on nothing.

Revan

Assumptionman
Agreed, Dortmund has the advantage of poaching the wonderkids because of their proven track records.. it's their model of profit. Not all clubs can offer what they offer to young players. Top flight football and Champions league experience. Can't blame them.

Imo, they are better morally than Bayern though, who poach established stars for cheap or free.
There is nothing morally wrong with what Bayern does. We do the same when we can. The problem is that there are other rich clubs in England, while Germany has only 1 but that is not Bayern's fault.

PitTon

As much as I like Rashford, Im sorry but with current form I would like to have Sancho play Instead of Rashford together with Martial and Greenwood. I know Rashford has added new element into his play - passing from deep (with the change in shape with LB move inside), but still It couldn't feel right when your winger didn't try to get past defenders,especially when 1 on 1.

3 matches after lock down I realized that Rashford didn't attempt to dribble or go past opponent LB. I guessed and hoped ( like others) it was because he had a long time out with injury but that's not the case. I like him but as I said, the feeling is weird when you see your winger gets the ball, standing and then pass it.

Class is forever and I hope Rashy finds his form soon but with the current form of Martial and Greenwood, it'd be a shame if either of them has to sit on the bench.

Icemav

You make it sound like Dortmund are selling fake watches. The players are the ones who force their own value up through their performances and output. I mean we can all see what the players do on the pitch, it’s not like some money-laundering scheme hidden from the public eye in Watzke’s basement.
Ha well it was a rant. I will say that I have a lot of respect for Dortmund and they are a very well managed club. They play the system extremely well.

Web of Bissaka

4-4-2 anyone?

I can see that happening in two situations:

1. When we're chasing games late minutes.
So we go all-out throw all our best attacks on the pitch, but then I don't remember Ole ever doing this before, he seems to prioritize stability and team balance. He's not SAF who is a gambler and will dare try this to get the win. Who knows Ole may be more confident in future games.

2. We use a new unique system -- inverted defensive FBs and hybrid CDM/Defender.
AWB and Shaw only focus on defending. Let the front 6 focus on attacks. The job of the back 4 is only to pass the ball to the front 6 and defending of course. This will create a strong line of defense at the back and 4 strictly defenders, good numbers that cover each other stopping any attacks.

All four are also fairly good on the ball. AWB maybe the least capable but his defending on the floor is the best. So in transition, the 4 take turns to fill into the solo CDM role so there is a good triangle for better passing to the front 6.
Situation A
-
when the ball is on our left (Shaw's side) so AWB jump into CDM.

-------Lindelof---Maguire--Shaw-------
------------------------AWB-----------------------

Situation B
-
when the ball is on our centre backs holding it or in front among our front 6, then one of the CBs move into CDM with the other remain at the back.

-----------------------De Gea--------------------
-------AWB--------Maguire-----Shaw-----
------------------------Lindelof------------------

-------AWB--------Lindelof-----Shaw-----
------------------------Maguire------------------

Situation C
-
when the ball is on our right (AWB's side) so Shaw jump into CDM but... *best for Shaw to remain as LCB so the back will be far balanced so below setting may best not be applied*. So instead Maguire should move into CDM instead.

----AWB-----------Lindelof---------Mag--
------------------------Shaw---------------------
--------------Greenwood--Martial---------

Additionally...
3. Replace Matic with Lindelof
So we're playing with one CB, while Matic will play a dual role as CB while maintain doing the CDM roles.

Last edited:

SteveW

As much as I like Rashford, Im sorry but with current form I would like to have Sancho play Instead of Rashford together with Martial and Greenwood. I know Rashford has added new element into his play - passing from deep (with the change in shape with LB move inside), but still It couldn't feel right when your winger didn't try to get past defenders,especially when 1 on 1.

3 matches after lock down I realized that Rashford didn't attempt to dribble or go past opponent LB. I guessed and hoped ( like others) it was because he had a long time out with injury but that's not the case. I like him but as I said, the feeling is weird when you see your winger gets the ball, standing and then pass it.

Class is forever and I hope Rashy finds his form soon but with the current form of Martial and Greenwood, it'd be a shame if either of them has to sit on the bench.
I'm really struggling to see why people are getting so wound up about starting 11s. We play over 50 games a season. We make substitutions in every game. Martial and Rashford both had 2 month plus injuries last season.

All 4 of them will play absolutely heaps of football and I honestly think the split of minutes will be pretty even between the 4 by end of the season. Expect whoever gets rested in any game get half an hour from the bench. Ole will want them all fresh for the second half of the season so none of them will be starting every week.

You're right on Rashford. I'm certain he'd have been dropped for the last couple of games because he looked knackered. That's why we need Sancho. To reduce the workload on all 3 of them.

Strelok

They certainly do have an important role to play in the football ecosystem. Its just for me the price tags that Dortmund are using. They are trying to engineer a generational talent factory and so far I have not seen proof of that. Great young talent identification and development, but not to the point where these huge investments are guaranteed.
If you know how much money is generated from football you'd be amazed. Football has become a crazy multi billions lucrative industry.

Tbh I don't care much about how much we pay for a player. It's Ed's job. And if we pay that means we can afford it. We're not PSG or City. We spend the money we earn. No worry. With deals like Neymar, Mbappe, Dembele, Felix if the recent reports are true, imo we actually strike a pretty good and reasonable deal for Sancho.

And as I said, there's always risks involved in a transfer so how would Sancho turn out for us is not really their fault. We sign him we accept the price and the risks. It's not like they cheat on his medical report anyway. Let's make it clear once we sign him, it's entirely up to him and us for how would this turn out.

Web of Bissaka

It could work, during phase attack, CB would have to overload the midfield, particularly Maguire and Shaw has to cover the CB area while Pogba drifting to the left flank.

Attack phase:

--------------------De Gea----------------
--------Lindelof--------Shaw-----------
-----------------Maguire-------------------
AWB---------Bruno----------Pogba--
Sancho-----Greenwood---Rashford
-----------------Martial---------------------

Defenders would have nightmare facing this line up, maybe the lesser quality teams...
That could work too, but defensively our wings will be a huge risk, easy to be exploited.

Too easy to stretch our defense apart too, opening huge spaces which we're so bad at defending.

Jackal981

There is this Caf myth called 'United tax'. Obviously it is a stupid concept based on nothing.
These same morons would be calling for Ole and Ed heads if City/Liverpool were in for him and we look for cheaper 50-60m option.

drmuji

Ah Longstaff, who can forget that 50m quoted for him last year! Dreadful.

Surely anyone can see we're making some superb signings, bit by bit now? If they can't I wonder what sport might suit them better.
How did Longstaff do by the way. I don't follow New Castle much so I don't know how did he fare this season
We were desperate for him last year

Sereques

Dortmund rinsing us again. £100 million is a fair fee for Sancho but you can bet if it was Bayern Munich, they would have sold for one third of the price. Annoyed we keep having to pay excess sum when other clubs could get it so cheap.

Bayern will NEVER sell a player like Sancho.

Status
Not open for further replies.