Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

Isn’t it strange that we have the longest ever transfer thread here without even making a bid?)
It’s not, but Chelsea already spent twice as much if not more (on several players combined) and they are not even done yet.

SirScholes

£100m is certainly more than any club will be and perhaps should be paying this summer on a single transfer in light of the financial uncertainty however Sancho is an outlier because not only is he top class already at only 20, meaning he’ll give us 10+ years of service, he’s also extremely marketable. On the face of it, it doesn’t make financial sense in the short term but in the long term it does.
I think it makes financial sense both short and long because without CL football our revenue will be hit massively
That’s a real possibility without sancho, no CL footy we would struggle to get anyone in the season after and looking at another rebuild
Extreme I know, but not that far fetched

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We have the money. I don't care if this affects the Glazers' dividend payout. It's about time they contributed to the club since they didn't even use their own money to buy it. Buy Sancho!
Exactly. Signing a high profile player like Sancho will bring in more lucrative sponsorship deals for them which equals more money in their pockets in the long run.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Hoping to see Sancho Telles then a defender and CDM next year.

Need to see United push City Chelsea and Liverpool this year.

Get the deal done, we have done our part on the caf, record thread for a record fee please.

croadyman

Hoping to see Sancho Telles then a defender and CDM next year.

Need to see United push City Chelsea and Liverpool this year.

Get the deal done, we have done our part on the caf, record thread for a record fee please.
Well we will definitely be in for Upamecano next summer but whether we sign him is another thing. I have still not seen anything yet to suggest us signing a CDM as well though

Womp

idiot
Woodward's comments are the final nail in the coffin, surely? They make our stance pretty clear

Rolaholic

Woodward's comments is the final nail in the coffin, surely? They make our stance pretty clear
Not sure what he's said but Ole's comments yesterday about the window not going at all as he planned was telling enough.

He's being set up to fail as most of our rivals strengthen and build on their teams and we dither in the market around leaving things to the last minute

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Noticing Sancho's no longer on the men's apparel page on the official Dortmund site. You'll see him on the menu rollover but he's gone from the rest of the page.

mav_9me

You dont need to wait till a transfer window closes to see how poorly run we are.
Even if we sign Sancho its poor and its less to do with signings anyway
I don't know about that. If they do sign Sancho and used all this time in an attempt to get the price down you could argue they tried to save some money. For me its all about if we get him.

The oddity is that most people would agree that £108 million in the 'current climate' is too much, no big deal, no other club is coming close to spending that much on a single transfer, so why should we, etc.

It's all this stringing along that is winding people up now, if we just got a defender and attacking player of some description, even on short deals, then fine, we would have a very good first team, and potentially a bit of decent backup.

But as it stands I genuinely do not understand what they are up to leaving us short as the season starts, and letting this drag so long.
Exactly. If he is too expensive then go get a DM, a LB an alternative RW...now its Sancho or bust

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's not an item on Ebay
Not sure the point you're making here is, because eBay would be the perfect example of what's going on as brinkmanship on auctions goes down to literal seconds before closure. Unless someone puts down a massive inital bid on it, they won't be the one coming out with the item some days later.

If our true intent is only going to reveal itself in the dying embers of the window, we are doing an eBay with a player as if he were an item on the aforementioned site!
Woodward's comments are the final nail in the coffin, surely? They make our stance pretty clear
That's open to interpretation though, isn't it? For one set of ears it means something wholly different to another. Clubs we're negotiating with can read into that that we're restricted and won't be stretching ourselves. Whether they buy into that is another matter entirely, however.

Womp

idiot
Not sure what he's said but Ole's comments yesterday about the window not going at all as he planned was telling enough.

He's being set up to fail as most of our rivals strengthen and build on their teams and we dither in the market around leaving things to the last minute
Basically justified the lack of activity on the window and that we we can't be reckless, will be careful etc.

MattyB1986

Ole will get sacked without Sancho. He is that type of manager that needs to keep spending a lot to be successful. Which gives me confidence that we will get him.
I think it's the squad that just needs expenditure to have a competitive 11 and strength in depth to compete on the highest stages of football. Unfortunately, we've wasted a vast amounts of sums on flops and people not even good enough sat on higher wages than they'd get anywhere else.

United have spent high on a lot of players regardless the manager: di Maria, Lukaku, Pogba, Maquire.

Unfortunately, what happens is a manager comes in spends a bit to get top 4. Then they stop getting signings waived on, we makes excuses. Rinse & repeat with new managers and you end up with a mish-mash squad of certain players not fitting into the style of the new manager. One thing is for certain, though. We haven't had a top class, proper winger on the right flank since Ronaldo. And although Sancho is still a prospect in a lot of sense, every United fan knows he'd fit Ole and United's attacking way of playing like a glove. Which is one of the reasons I got excited finishing top 4 this year, because of picturing the age and talent of the 3 forwards we already have and adding Sancho. I have learnt not to get too carried away with finishing projects of managers with this board.

It would be a state of intent kind of signing, hopefully it happens. But I'm 50/50. :houllier:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't know about that. If they do sign Sancho and used all this time in an attempt to get the price down you could argue they tried to save some money. For me its all about if we get him.
Thats a very short sighted view since part of the clubs remit this summer is to get rid of deadwood and players on big wages who offer nothing like:

Mata (only just recently given a new deal), Lingard, Jones Pereira (only just recently given a new deal)
We have basically paid Sanchez to leave on that part and thats it.

Again a reflection of how your business is run isn't just about who you end up with at the end of one window. Also this is a problem we have seen over multiple transfer windows
The sooner we bring in people better at handling this, the easier it will be for us to evolve the squad in the future and bring in players like Sancho

Womp

idiot
Not sure the point you're making here is, because eBay would be the perfect example of what's going on as brinkmanship on auctions goes down to literal seconds before closure. Unless someone puts down a massive inital bid on it, they won't be the one coming out with the item some days later.

If our true intent is only going to reveal itself in the dying embers of the window, we are doing an eBay with a player as if he were an item on the aforementioned site!

That's open to interpretation though, isn't it? For one set of ears it means something wholly different to another. Clubs we're negotiating with can read into that that we're restricted and won't be stretching ourselves. Whether they buy into that is another matter entirely, however.
Thing is, I really don't think Dortmund give a feck if we are struggling to pay what they want due to Covid, or whatever reason. If we are still, after all this time, attempting to get them to reevaluate, we truly are as clueless as people seem to think when just about every fecking reliable outlet has confirmed they will continue to tell us to get fecked for anything under their value

If they were desperate to sell, they wouldn't have forced us to go through intermediaries who had a hard stance on valuation and Dortmund wouldn't have left it to the last 2 weeks of the window to begin being open to negotiate, potentially destabilising their season

That being said though, I'd hope we are smarter than that and knew this, which is why I think this was dead a while ago. It's no surprise that they were probably loving the social media presence as a result of being continuously linked to him, they've even admitted that they appreciate being linked to players they have no interest in in the past etc. due to the social media presence it accompanies.

It was always a matter of pay the fee, or feck off and as much as I'd love for us to do so and think any excuse these incompetent parasites could muster up is bullshit, it's not looking likely at this stage

Rolaholic

Officially passed the Pogba thread now, praying to the footballing gods that it ends up like Pogba and it's not all for naught :lol::(

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Do you remember early August/late July? This thread was awash with positivity. We had shown massive improvements to finish 3rd, demonstrating in the process that we had an excellent first XI but virtually nothing that came close in reserve - particularly in an attacking sense.

We were told by BVB that the player, who we'd been courting for over a year, was available and willing to come, that they were willing to sell at a reasonable price. The door was opened, and we alone were being welcomed in.

Then the Ed, Matt and Other Prats show rolled up, and it's been nothing but negativity since then.

All our rivals have proceeded to invest and improve their squads in a more savvy and efficient manner to us, and all will add further quality before the window is shut. Arsenal will bring a new GK and one of Partey/Aouar, Chelsea will get a GK and probably Rice, City will at the very least bring in another top CB, and Liverpool will confirm Jota and another CB too. Spurs will confirm Reguilon - a player we've been linked with for over a month - and probably another striker.

We're falling behind at moment where it looked like we'd taken a real step forward, but we're evidently taking the familiar two-step-back approach we've all seen before. All the names and positions being focussed on by our direct rivals - although City and Pool are too far ahead of us to be called that - would be celebrated and valuable additions to our setup, with the exceptions of the GKs.

The lid needs to be lifted, the contents exposed, on how this cub is managed and ran from the top. We need a real inquest and exposure, even if it means those who love and genuinely care for this club ensuring immediate ties with it will be cut.

We'll probably announce both Sancho and Telles immediately after our 5-0 win later today.
EMOP; Kryptonite for (Super) Muppets

Exactly. Signing a high profile player like Sancho will bring in more lucrative sponsorship deals for them which equals more money in their pockets in the long run.
That’s up there with making money from extra shirt sales.

Sancho is not a high profile player. Most people in the UK have probably never seen him play, and he’s only got a handful of caps. Stick him in a line up and most wouldn’t even know who he is.

Compare Sancho to Bale, and Bale is is a high profile player.

That’s not to say he’s not a fantastic player, with great potential.

Man Utd buying Sancho will have minimal effect on sponsorship. We get sponsorship because of the club, and the name. The occasional players makes a real difference, but those are the players of the magnitude of Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.