Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We're not going to pay €120m, we don't have the money .... We had no intention of paying any big sums for Sancho, we've tried to get him on the cheap because of 'covid discount' and been left with our pants round our ankles.
There could be some truth to that, I had heard rumours that United thought that they could get a Sancho deal for about £60m, how true that is, we'll never know.
But I've just felt all along that United were only targeting two positions this window, Creative MF and a RW (Grealish & Sancho) and thought that we would get the pair for less than £100m.
Donny was a stroke of luck, becoming available at less than half the price of Grealish, and the club showed that they can act swiftly if they have a mind to do so.

I've never felt that a CB, LB or Defensive MF were seriously on our radar, and even if we do sign Telles, I think it's just an opportunity that fell into our laps, similarly to Donny....
To be fair, I think that they are both terrific players and will definitely improve us, it's great business at £50M for the pair.

What concerns me now, is that the club now panic buy a couple of journeymen, who are no better than anything we currently have.

RkkMan

Yeah agree with this. We would have forked up the cash without Covid, and were holding off on spending when things looked a lot calmer on the Covid front than it does now. The rising cases and predictions of a bleak winter ahead is probably just vindicating the board.

And maybe they're right! Maybe we will have another season where there are no proper attendances getting into grounds across Europe and we end up in a case where we're better prepared to take advantage of a more desperate and depleted January/Summer window.

Whatever happens, can't see Chelsea spending big again next summer, and Spurs have thrown everything at Jose this time around. Liverpool have hardly sat down on expenses by their level, and Arsenal are already in a case where they can't pick up players unless they recoup considerably from sales.
You can`t rule out Liverpool though with Mbappe set to leave PSG next year they could come for one of Salah/Mane as replacements and that gives the bin dippers money for Sancho

romufc

By the passing day, looks more and more certain we will not sign him.

There is nothing in the last week that suggests we are still in for him. Instead we are seing alot of journalists with similar briefs that this deal might be too hard to do in this window.

The German media is adamant that there is nothing to report, he is a BVB player, end of.

United it seems like are hoping that if it fails they can blame BVB and covid for not upgrading the squad.

SmallCaine

You can`t rule out Liverpool though with Mbappe set to leave PSG next year they could come for one of Salah/Mane as replacements and that gives the bin dippers money for Sancho
Who gives them money for his wages though? People seem to be way overestimating liverpool's financial prowess, just because klopp made them competitive doesn't mean klopp made them rich. They still can't pay for what madrid, utd, psg etc can pay to its big players.

Drifter

American
By the passing day, looks more and more certain we will not sign him.

There is nothing in the last week that suggests we are still in for him. Instead we are seing alot of journalists with similar briefs that this deal might be too hard to do in this window.

The German media is adamant that there is nothing to report, he is a BVB player, end of.

United it seems like are hoping that if it fails they can blame BVB and covid for not upgrading the squad.
That would be a suicide excuse. Comes across as the club had no real transfer plan.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Sancho is yet another in a long-line of radically over-hyped and over-valued young players. He's good, but not that good.

I said a similar thing about Pogba - back when many United fans were calling him 'world class' - and generally my view has been proven correct. His impact at United has been patchy and often lacklustre.

I hope that United do blow £108m on Sancho, because IMO he won't have that much effect on team performances and it will severely limit your spending in other areas.
What do you think of Mbappe?

cyberman

Om f
Sancho is yet another in a long-line of radically over-hyped and over-valued young players. He's good, but not that good.

I said a similar thing about Pogba - back when many United fans were calling him 'world class' - and generally my view has been proven correct. His impact at United has been patchy and often lacklustre.

I hope that United do blow £108m on Sancho, because IMO he won't have that much effect on team performances and it will severely limit your spending in other areas.
No, you were given shit for saying Dele was better than Pogba.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
More chance of them nabbing Sancho than Mbappe, he's had dreams of emulating CR at Madrid since he was a kid. If they can get the funds for Sancho, and assuming they're looking for a player in his position, there would be zero point us even contesting for him. He'd be mad to choose us over them.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Pack it in lads its 100% not happening based off this
Wouldn't this make it more likely as if crowds in Germany are halted too, then Dortmund would need the cash more?

To be fair, im not bothered anymore. We either sign him or we don't, the club don't seem too bothered now they have CL football again this year.

RkkMan

More chance of them nabbing Sancho than Mbappe, he's had dreams of emulating CR at Madrid since he was a kid. If they can get the funds for Sancho, and assuming they're looking for a player in his position, there would be zero point us even contesting for him. He'd be mad to choose us over them.
Sancho wants to return to England though so doubt he`ll want to go to the boring Uber Eats League. Only way he joins us is if we get CL football and even thats not a given as football wise LFC are streets ahead of us and he`ll want the better project. Its now or never for Sancho and from the looks of it its never

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Sancho wants to return to England though so doubt he`ll want to go to the boring Uber Eats League. Only way he joins us is if we get CL football and even thats not a given as football wise LFC are streets ahead of us and he`ll want the better project. Its now or never for Sancho and from the looks of it its never
Sorry - should have highlighted that I meant it was Mbappe's dream to go to Madrid.

Honestly, people should do themselves a favour and jump off the Sancho train. It's not happening, even if we cave at this point. Dortmund aren't some no-hopers in dire need. They would be essentially conceding and already improbably title to their biggest rivals if they did. German clubs do business in the most open and frank ways I've seen. Happy to sell at the prices they set, and only at a point in the window when they can sort out the fallout. Any big-deal in the budesliga in recent years follows this trend. If I'm able to see this as a (forced to be) armchair fan, what exactly are Woodward and Judge doing???

RkkMan

Wouldn't this make it more likely as if crowds in Germany are halted too, then Dortmund would need the cash more?

To be fair, im not bothered anymore. We either sign him or we don't, the club don't seem too bothered now they have CL football again this year.
BVB`s cash reserves are healthy enough to deal with any losses they get from the pandemic. They are under zero pressure to sell him unless we pay up what they want which we quite clearly won`t

RkkMan

Sorry - should have highlighted that I meant it was Mbappe's dream to go to Madrid.

Honestly, people should do themselves a favour and jump off the Sancho train. It's not happening, even if we cave at this point. Dortmund aren't some no-hopers in dire need. They would be essentially conceding and already improbably title to their biggest rivals if they did. German clubs do business in the most open and frank ways I've seen. Happy to sell at the prices they set, and only at a point in the window when they can sort out the fallout. Any big-deal in the budesliga in recent years follows this trend. If I'm able to see this as a (forced to be) armchair fan, what exactly are Woodward and Judge doing???
Mbappe has been Perez and Zidane`s dream for years he`s the one they`ll go all out for no matter the cost why do you think Madrid haven`t spent a dime this year? Sancho isn`t of big interest to them and as you said its not happening fully expecting to see Sancho in a Liverpool jersey next year

Red71

This could be a really big couple of weeks for our club. We can’t go on like this year on year with such clueless transfer strategies. Thought we turned a corner last year by signing hungry young talent but this year we’re back to square one. VdB will be a great signing but I fear he’ll lose motivation if the other players and manager don’t match his passion. Could even see a glimpse of this straight after he scored.
Man alive, that last sentence is pessimistic..! :(

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Mbappe has been Perez and Zidane`s dream for years he`s the one they`ll go all out for no matter the cost why do you think Madrid haven`t spent a dime this year? Sancho isn`t of big interest to them and as you said its not happening fully expecting to see Sancho in a Liverpool jersey next year
Don't Real have the stadium costs to contend with right now? Sure that's a pretty big reason they've been so quiet this window. It'll be interesting to see how much PSG can fetch for Mbappe. They spent stupid money on him and, Covid or not, I think they'll do well to get more than £150m for him. If he's set on leaving, I could see them only recouping half the fee they spent. Although that was such a dodgy deal, God knows how much - or little - they ended up forking out, same with Neymar.

Agree - us not getting Sancho this window will mean we fall behind the pecking order next summer.

Red71

Up until that window slams shut, there’s a chance it still happens. I’m convincing myself it’s the domino effect, that we’re just waiting for our sales to be agreed and then “we go for it”...!

Brophs

The One and Only
Up until that window slams shut, there’s a chance it still happens. I’m convincing myself it’s the domino effect, that we’re just waiting for our sales to be agreed and then “we go for it”...!
Woohoo! Sancho 2024! HERE WE GO!

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'm not a United fan and was never impressed by Pogba. They're not even comparable, IMO. Spending 100m on Pogba was insane back then. But Sancho.. Just watch him play. He's an incredible player already and every stat out there backs that impression up. There's also not much to argue in comparison to Son. Sancho has significantly better stats and ability-wise, it's not even a question. Sancho is comfortably better at dribbling and passing while Son has his finishing - especially with his weak foot - going for him.

Again, I don't want to belittle Son but Sancho IMO is an even bigger talent than Mbappe. The only talent out there I see in the Neymar bracket of talent.
Worse goals stats than Son, but significantly better assist stats. However, all Sancho's stats come from the Bundesliga where opposition teams are of generally lower quality compared to the Prem. And his 13 England appearances so far have been OK, but nothing more than this. Of greater relevance, I'm not arguing that Son is worth £108m.

I've seen it all before. People get carried away with fancy tricks and dribbling ... and ignore many other aspects - including "boring" things like professionalism, character, hard work, dedication (I'm not saying that Sancho lacks these things) - of what combines to make a player truly great. This is why a player like Neymar, for all his dribbling ability, is inferior to a player like Kane IMO.

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

I wonder what's going to be done when the 6th of October comes around and Sancho isn't signed. It sucks but it happens to often with this club.

Marcus

BVB`s cash reserves are healthy enough to deal with any losses they get from the pandemic. They are under zero pressure to sell him unless we pay up what they want which we quite clearly won`t
I think the problem is that he is probably Dortmund's last player they can sell for a high price. So they need to make the most of it. Other players they have signed recently all come with a release clause which limits their ability to cash in and stave off creditors, if any.

Fletchageddon

I watched him and Haaland tear it up the other night as we got spanked by Palace. The very fact he's playing suggests that it's nowhere even near close.

Brokenbeard

I wonder what's going to be done when the 6th of October comes around and Sancho isn't signed. It sucks but it happens to often with this club.
Caf will go into a meltdown, Squads morale will drop, and OGS is most likely gone because of it. Queue next manager, same scenario. Meanwhile Glazer keeps cashing checks.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I watched him and Haaland tear it up the other night as we got spanked by Palace. The very fact he's playing suggests that it's nowhere even near close.
Of course it's not close given it isn't happening.

Watch Liverpool now get him next summer to add to our misery after securing no 20

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

:lol:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Om f
No, you were given shit for saying Dele was better than Pogba.
And he was. He's gone off the boil since then. But my main point at the time was that Pogba was over-rated and grossly over-priced - and this I believe has been shown to be true.

realReno

I think the problem is that he is probably Dortmund's last player they can sell for a high price. So they need to make the most of it. Other players they have signed recently all come with a release clause which limits their ability to cash in and stave off creditors, if any.
Rumors are that Haaland has a release clause about 60 million in 2022. But probably he is the only one with that clause. The young lads like Reyna, Bellingham and Moukoko don't have any kind of clause (yet) and in don't think they are going to get one. So in that Case Sancho is not the last player that BVB could seel for a high price.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I would guess the club has yet to brief that we will not be signing him this year because they know the reaction will be unsavoury.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Genuinely, at a time when transfers have to be shrewd and as close to being certain of working as possible, why would any club want to take a chance on the likes of Rojo, Jones, Pereira, Mata, Dalot and even Lingard?

I don't think some realise just how bad these players actually are. All of them massively lack in either quality, attitude or fitness levels/injury record. Throw in the fact that no club would dream of paying them the amounts we do. They either go for free or run their contracts down. Either way we look stupid.

Dr. StrangeHate

Guys Dortmund management just released a statement yesterday saying Sancho is staying. What would it take to convince you guys it is not happening. It is best to get off the train before it crashes.

Goku23

Guys Dortmund management just released a statement yesterday saying Sancho is staying. What would it take to convince you guys it is not happening. It is best to get off the train before it crashes.
Woodward and the Glazers already crashed it :(

Matriac

And he was. He's gone off the boil since then. But my main point at the time was that Pogba was over-rated and grossly over-priced - and this I believe has been shown to be true.
Disagree.
Pogba has been class.
But too many expect him to do it all by himself.

He has been let down by his team-members being unable to do much with his passes. It's a shame that last season was cut so short for him. I believe this season he will truly shine, more so if we get a proper RW in allowing us to stretch both sides more making it unpredictable for the defenders.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It‘s over when the transfer window shuts.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Who, besides Haaland, has a release clause?

Matriac

A brief from us that we've walked away, or that the window closes.

Status
Not open for further replies.