Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriac

Especially when Dortmund would need a replacement. If anything they'd probably increase the price because of it.

I can just picture Ed finally scrounging up the £108m on deadline day, only to then be told to feck off and pay £150m.
Why are you convinced they need to get a replacement? They have players in the club that can feature on the RW. Not as well of course, but they won't get that unless they spend the entire fee on a new ready-made RW.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Most fascinating in presumption to see us haggling over c. £20m when the prize at stake is worth, what? £60m, is it?
Been thinking the same. Not convinced they actually need to get a replacement. They have Reyna and Reinier that can feature on right, with Wolf as another non-impressive body.

I'm sure they wanna give Bynoe-Gittens some minutes this year as well with aim for him to feature more next season if he kicks on.

Would they mind having Sancho in the team another year? Of course not. Can they do without him? Pretty certain they can. They have a quite easy CL group as well. If they were to truly struggle they can get someone in January if they want to get further in the R16.
Yes, it's not ideal to have a Sancho-sized hole in their squad, but certainly not the end of the world.

Looking at their M.O. gives better insight into what is most likely from them going forward, and they clearly have a model in place that keeps purchasing costs at the bare minimum, so if there isn't a rock solid set of agreements in principle for viable last minute purchases, it's not logical to think Dortmund would suddenly act in desperation to get someone in who has to be a clear measure better than all the cover you've just mentioned. With some twiddling, you've got Brandt and Reus for the wings, too, which is still top drawer.

I think Dortmund needing a replacement is some way down the list of what would scupper this as they've more than enough to make do.

croadyman

"We’re working hard to get better with the players we’ve got," says Ole.

Doesn't sound like a man who knows we're about to drop 120m on a player. Shambles.
Yeah think he knows the game is up on this transfer and has been told I don't care how disappointed you are Ole,put on a front and get on with what you have

jackal&hyde

"They know my view"

Looks a bit like pressure to me. "they know my view" reads like it's up to them to not disappoint. Add in the Shaw comments and the board it's probably under pressure not just from the fans but from within as well. It didn't work for Mourinho but it worked last summer with Maguire.

Interesting to see what happens.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If Dortmund truly had no intention of selling United would have briefed weeks ago that we have no interest In Sancho to save face.

The fact that hasn’t happened means that they know Dortmund will sell (at the right price).
Similarly, if Dortmund intended to sell him they wouldn't have communicated the way they did. As I said, something doesn't fit. One club screwed up and is going to face outrageous reactions from fans for it.

We’ve heard clubs before saying they won’t sell when eventually they did, even United. I don’t understand the psychology behind it, but it’s normal. Maybe they want to make sure they get the asking price, but makes little sense if privately they let them know about the actual conditions. I mean it is weird but known tactics.

I would be more surprised if United were so stupid to ignore the real deadline. And I think i’ve already mentioned here but if my maths is correct, 10th August would have been the last day of the transfer window if the season had ended in the normal way in May. Weird coincidence.
Not with such determination. Nobody thought Aubameyang or Dembele would be staying 100% back in the day. But people do think that about Sancho because the club made such strong statements about his future.

As I said, one club will give a very bad impression at the end of the window. The only question is which one.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If this doesn't happen, the Van de Beek purchase will look bizarre. Everything about this 'saga' has been odd, but that, in hindsight, would be the worst of the lot given we've tracked Sancho since he was leaving City (if not longer) and he was clearly the primary target of the window, and even before it opened.

If you're allocating funds in that instance, the majority goes to the priority, and then you work with the change, which would have been the Telles fee or thereabouts, or even to make up the remainder for Van de Beek via sales.

It's all well and good saying we're short on funds, but if we've made it so, there is nowhere else to point the finger than at how we've handled our affairs this window.

GoldanoGraham

Today is certainly a big day. It leaves very little time to do anything if not today.
Agreed - everyone’s got matches this weekend and then they disappear off to their national teams - this is where the dominoes start to fall in line or it just doesn’t get going.....

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
We are just a poorly ran club. Who chases a target for 6 months and knows the price, but have a strategy of wanting until the very last minute to get a cut price deal. Ffs United

jackal&hyde

If this doesn't happen, the Van de Beek purchase will look bizarre. Everything about this 'saga' has been odd, but that, in hindsight, would be the worst of the lot given we've tracked Sancho since he was leaving City (if not longer) and he was clearly the primary target of the window, and even before it opened.

If you're allocating funds in that instance, the majority goes to the priority, and then you work with the change, which would have been the Telles fee or thereabouts, or even to make up the remainder for Van de Beek via sales.

It's all well and good saying we're short on funds, but if we've made it so, there is nowhere else to point the finger than at how we've handled our affairs this window.
I agree. If we knew we could not get him then DVB makes sense plus a back up for RW, but we've seen no such thing so one has to wander if we made the Donny deal while being sure we can get Sancho too only to be left looking stupid.

Very strange window but, there are still a few days to go so let's see.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not with such determination. Nobody thought Aubameyang or Dembele would be staying 100% back in the day. But people do think that about Sancho because the club made such strong statements about his future.
That's another thing I've always felt was a bit strange during this saga, how often Dortmund went public to stay he is staying, even to the point where a number of Dortmund players were going public repeating the same message.
I don't ever remember such overkill before about a transfer.
But then for Dortmund to apparently continue negotiations with United, made it all seem like a game of publicity.....all a bit odd.

Andersons Dietician

DVB is a great purchase, but he’s a back up to Pogba and Bruno, but this whole window is giving off Moyes summer vibes.

I hope they do get Sancho through the door because this place will implode if we lose to Spurs and there is no Sancho on Monday to lessen that blow.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Imagine if we lost to Spurs and failed to sign anyone on Monday. Woodward would honestly have to have bodyguards.

red thru&thru

Agreed - everyone’s got matches this weekend and then they disappear off to their national teams - this is where the dominoes start to fall in line or it just doesn’t get going.....
And interesting that all the journalists are using the same tag line...the club have failed Ole.

Is Ed going to come with a bang now? Like people have previously mentioned, he surely does love to be portrayed as the hero! Like some kind of saviour!

I guess I'm just clutching at straws!

GledTheRed

If we don't hear serious news of a bid by the time the day is out we can forget it.

Doubt that stupid cnut Woodward even works the weekend.

Andersons Dietician

Similarly, if Dortmund intended to sell him they wouldn't have communicated the way they did. As I said, something doesn't fit. One club screwed up and is going to face outrageous reactions from fans for it.

As I said, one club will give a very bad impression at the end of the window. The only question is which one.
To be honest I don’t doubt for a second that if United say here, here is 108mil, that Dortmund will sell.

Reports the other day were saying that they have been so adamant he is staying because they simply don’t believe United will pay or get close to paying that. Apparently everything around the deal bar the fee is agreed.

Who really knows what the truth is. We all just go off of little bits of information and try to piece together a puzzle. I said at the start I’m sure it’ll take matching a fee Dortmund can live with and Sancho pushing for the move so they can say they had no choice, look how much money we got for a player who wanted to leave.

I just think United have to do their bit and get close to that 108 mil. I would think 80 mil now with a promise of 20 mil next summer or split over two would get the job done.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see or hear anything till Monday to either go with a victory over spurs or cushion a loss.

Jack-C20

If Sancho was called up I can imagine the hysteria if he decided to instagram his flight over to England on Monday :lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
To be honest I don’t doubt for a second that if United say here, here is 108mil, that Dortmund will sell.

Reports the other day were saying that they have been so adamant he is staying because they simply don’t believe United will pay or get close to paying that. Apparently everything around the deal bar the fee is agreed.

Who really knows what the truth is. We all just go off of little bits of information and try to piece together a puzzle. I said at the start I’m sure it’ll take matching a fee Dortmund can live with and Sancho pushing for the move so they can say they had no choice, look how much money we got for a player who wanted to leave.

I just think United have to do their bit and get close to that 108 mil. I would think 80 mil now with a promise of 20 mil next summer or split over two would get the job done.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see or hear anything till Monday to either go with a victory over spurs or cushion a loss.
Well, and German sources suggest the exact opposite. The British Sky journalist who was sent to Dortmund quoted club officials saying that Dortmund won't sell, even if United bids more than the initially demanded 120m €. They also claimed that this is no negotiating tactic, they want to keep the player.

So yeah, it remains as it is. Either Dortmund talked bullshit or United continued pursuing the player because they didn't believe Dortmund were adament with their deadline.

MDFC Manager

Very good point.

I guess it then follows that we likely never had the intention to buy Sancho at all, and just got in the cheaper unrelated target.

Alternatively, the club probably expected some or most of our deadwood to have been sold off by now, to allow for Sancho's purchase.

Chief123

It’s pretty obvious Sancho isn’t actually “ill” when he’s apparently been ruled out of the weekend’s game yet he has been called up to the England squad even after news broke out that he’s ill. Especially as the England game is only a few days away. Inject me.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Only one club will have screwed up mate and that’s United.

Sancho is obviously for sale. But he is for sale at €120 million Euros. That’s Dortmund's valuation, end of story.

If they get that during a pandemic where the entire world is in financial chaos then they will be applauded not ridiculed.

Dortmund’s communications have been a message to United, “ you know our price, you don’t want to pay it so he stays”. That message has been loud and clear and is very much a way of them telling United to pay up or feck off.

United on the other hand, have backed themselves into a corner. Whatever happens now, the board are going to come out of this looking like bafoons.

Can7onA

With Ole's latest comments about the squad you would have to say it looks like we're going all season with what we have.

Either that or there's a couple of bangers coming boys!

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Can we please for the love of god just fecking do this deal?

FizzyWomack

It’s pretty obvious Sancho isn’t actually “ill” when he’s apparently been ruled out of the weekend’s game yet he has been called up to the England squad even after news broke out that he’s ill. Especially as the England game is only a few days away. Inject me.
There were reports he DID train with them which is strange if he had an illness for the Bayern game.

I bloody hope we get some positive news coming in today.

Would we announce this at the weekend or is that very unlikely? I can’t remember what days we usually announce transfers.

FreddieTheReddie

He has been called up. So he'll be in England on deadline day... :)
Why was he called up if he’s so very very sick? We already know he can’t play tomorrow, maybe Southgate should consult with his doctor.

I can’t believe I’m wasting my last post on this and I won’t be able to celebrate when it happens tonight. So happy Sancho night everyone!

Chief123

Why was he called up if he’s so very very sick? We already know he can’t play tomorrow, maybe Southgate should consult with his doctor.

I can’t believe I’m wasting my last post on this and I won’t be able to celebrate when it happens tonight. So happy Sancho night everyone!
I’ve quoted your post. So you can delete this now as it will remain in my reply and you get your Sancho moment later today. :)

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
There were reports he DID train with them which is strange if he had an illness for the Bayern game.

I bloody hope we get some positive news coming in today.

Would we announce this at the weekend or is that very unlikely? I can’t remember what days we usually announce transfers.
He apparently trained alone away from the rest of the group... Still, if he was ill, why would he have trained at all?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

I'll celebrate for you. In fact. feck it. When it happens later, promote this muppet!

alexanderplatz

Saga done

And the club will try to say a LB who is brought in *as competition* and a perma crocked (although talented) player on loan is a great success

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Summary of the last 120 days
Yeah, he's not covered himself in glory this year. I think he's been too busy.

My opinion is that he went a bit early on the Sancho deal thinking it was straight forward and has had to just keep to his story

Chief123

Such a nothing tweet that :lol:
He’s clearly tweeting the same stuff about Sancho just for engagement and clicks.

His followers was around 700k before this summer transfer window. He’s now over 2 million. He’s loving it. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.