Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I mean ... can anyone really blame Dortmund?

First of all they are not a small club, they're a club on the second level of European clubs (like Tottenham, Atletico etc.) and they want to become a "big club" (unrealistic, but it is their goal).

They set a deadline, named the price for Sancho and were as straightforward as you can get ("€120 million or nothing"), while also revealing that Sancho recently even extended his contract until 2023 and that they therefore don't need to sell him this window.

Enter United and Woodward.

Good ol' Woody & Co. basically made it clear, that they gave a feck about Dortmund's deadline and that they actually thought, that United held all the aces in this saga. That's also emphasized by the reports of really low offers (compared to the price Dortmund was asking) etc.

Of course Dortmund would interpret this as United being arrogant and disrespectful.
The whole thing just smacks of us underestimating them and even more bizarrely, airing opinions along those lines, too. Even though the press ran with it and probably fed a sizeable amount of dung into their own takes on the situation, we have put out too much information that made no sense to do with talks supposedly ongoing.

I agree with the second paragraph you wrote in particular because these are the kind of clubs that want to make statements and stand their ground and let the giant clubs know they are not their play things. If you have genuine aspiration and ambition to reach the next tier up, you're probably going to be sensitive and somewhat defensive to perceived slights. You've got a stand of your own to make, after all and in the end, these clubs tend to get enough respect not to be made mugs of. Levy is now known as a negotiator who would rather cut off his nose to spite his face than let players go for less than he values; Atletico don't get plundered for talent despite having assets others have coveted for 6+ years and, off the back of this, Dortmund will be perceived differently having stood up to a giant club thinking they could have their way with them.

It takes some doing to enter a negotiation that was all set up for you and leave not only without the player but with the other side determined to make a stand against you.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Should have sell Pogba last year which will force Ed to buy Sancho this year.

redshaw

Your self loathing is pathetic :lol:
Realistic more like. We'll see next summer with two years left, Dortmund won't leave it to one year left. Sancho is always back in London and a move to Chelsea would be spot on for him regardless if he's a fan or not now.

Flexdegea

Realistic more like. We'll see next summer with two years left, Dortmund won't leave it to one year left. Sancho is always back in London and a move to Chelsea would be spot on for him regardless if he's a fan or not now.

No, its proper self loathing,

It's as like Chelsea are on another atmosphere to us, which isnt the case at all.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Calm before the storm in here. The hairs on the back of my neck are up in anticipation.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I did state a couple of days back (when Cavani was being signed), that there was no way that we could sign 2 x players for £200k/week. Absolutely no chance.
Some transfer muppets in here argued that I was wrong and that we can sign both, but guys, we need to be realistic.
We are building a team for the 4th place trophy....not for a league title and with that in mind, it doesn't make sense to splash out so much money (new British Transfer record + big wages).

I believe the main issue is that we could not afford the wages. We have so much deadwood taking up our wage bill, it's beyond ridiculous.
We have 4 Goal Keepers taking up wages of around £600k/week. Let that sink in.
Matt Judge should be fired for gross misconduct. Instant dismissal for offering these ridiculous contracts.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
To be honest, we have so many problem areas that spending this much on one player is a wasted opportunity to strengthen elsewhere.
We've been crying out for a RW for 10 years. Sancho would've solved this for us, once and for all.
We absolutely needed him.

Irwin99

I mean ... can anyone really blame Dortmund?

First of all they are not a small club, they're a club on the second level of European clubs (like Tottenham, Atletico etc.) and they want to become a "big club" (unrealistic, but it is their goal).

They set a deadline, named the price for Sancho and were as straightforward as you can get ("€120 million or nothing"), while also revealing that Sancho recently even extended his contract until 2023 and that they therefore don't need to sell him this window.

Enter United and Woodward.

Good ol' Woody & Co. basically made it clear, that they gave a feck about Dortmund's deadline and that they actually thought, that United held all the aces in this saga. That's also emphasized by the reports of really low offers (compared to the price Dortmund was asking) etc.

Of course Dortmund would interpret this as United being arrogant and disrespectful.
Not a bit. We are the ones that are coming across badly in all of this. There was a deadline and a set price. We failed to meet either and instead thought we could bully them while other clubs were getting their business done over the summer. But that's just the way we are now.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well I hope we can somehow do this deal next year, as unlikely as that is for me. They will want the same fee, Ed's pride might get in the way and if we don't have CL to offer then Sancho might not want to come.

I can see Barca and Liverpool being in for him next season too. Can't help but think we blew it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I have no issues in not getting Sancho. Should have spent that money on other positions. That's my concern.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I did state a couple of days back (when Cavani was being signed), that there was no way that we could sign 2 x players for £200k/week. Absolutely no chance.
Some transfer muppets in here argued that I was wrong and that we can sign both, but guys, we need to be realistic.

We are building a team for the 4th place trophy....not for a league title and with that in mind, it doesn't make sense to splash out so much money (new British Transfer record + big wages).

I believe the main issue is that we could not afford the wages. We have so much deadwood taking up our wage bill, it's beyond ridiculous.
Matt Judge should be fired for gross misconduct. Instant dismissal for offering these ridiculous contracts.
We’re going to be paying Dembele his wages in full. I’d assume that isn’t going to be much less than Sancho. Wages weren’t the problem - money up front is the issue. I’m assuming COVID will have impacted cash flow a fair bit and Dortmund seemed to want a lot up front.

DevilRed

Well I hope we can somehow do this deal next year, as unlikely as that is for me. They will want the same fee, Ed's pride might get in the way and if we don't have CL to offer then Sancho might not want to come.

I can see Barca and Liverpool being in for him next season too. Can't help but think we blew it.
Barca are in 488m euros of debt.

The dippers are skint.

I doubt after another year of covid anybody is paying 100m for a player. It would have to be chelski but they have ziyech and pulisic

If we have agreed terms with Sancho then I'm sure he is committed to joining us in the next window.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

We are ready to pay Dembele salary so I don't think wages are an issue. We just don't want to spend 120m with projected loss of 150-200m this season

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I have no issues in not getting Sancho. Should have spent that money on other positions. That's my concern.
People keep saying this and it's complete nonsense. We've needed a RW for a decade. What other positions? CB? The last player we signed in that position was a a great buy wasn't he? I'd rather buy a generational talent than another waste of money CB who'll no doubt get dominated by Ollie Watkins when we play Villa.

Pav1878

Why are we buying this kid if we can put that money towards Sancho?

None of this makes sense.

Oh well, let's hope he's good. But 27mil for a guy who's played 24 mins in serie a sounds risky

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Barca are in 488m euros of debt.

The dippers are skint.

I doubt after another year of covid anybody is paying 100m for a player. It would have to be chelski but they have ziyech and pulisic

If we have agreed terms with Sancho then I'm sure he is committed to joining us in the next window.
How though?

They don't spend much compared to us and City. They won the Champions League and Premier League recently. New Nike kit deal. They're swimming in it.

Chief123

The reports coming out around the truth behind the transfer are absolutely embarassing. If it is true, what an utter shambles. Apparently Utd were willing to offer the full asking price in the last couple of days but didn't put the bid in because Dortmund had made it clear they won't accept any bid now. Utd's strategy was apparently to drag it out all along to the end of the deadling expecting Dortmund to take the final offer. But Dortmund refused because Utd took the piss with negotations. Most likely they won't wanna do business with us next summer either when there are other buyers involved. When we were willing to pay the full asking price, what a complete joke they dragged it out trying to win a game of poker.

Sadly, that's most likely the end of Sancho ever playing at Utd.

DSG

A bit disappointed with the Caf. Had potential for a 1500 page thread.

I was sure this was dead a few weeks ago, not that I would know.

Worst kept secret of the transfer window, yet Ed & co. Wouldn’t meet their asking price. I think a combination of arrogance, incompetence and lack of cash/money/sign off from Glazers. Going to be a long season.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Why are we buying this kid if we can put that money towards Sancho?

None of this makes sense.

Oh well, let's hope he's good. But 27mil for a guy who's played 24 mins in serie a sounds risky
We need 2 RW players for depth. Greenwood is a 19 year old CF doing a great job as a RW but it isnt his best position.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
How though?

They don't spend much compared to us and City. They won the Champions League and Premier League recently. New Nike kit deal. They're swimming in it.
Succes brings higher wages. The likes of Mane,Salah,VVD are justified in being some of the best paid players in Europe.

dev1l

We are ready to pay Dembele salary so I don't think wages are an issue. We just don't want to spend 120m with projected loss of 150-200m this season
Granted. But why wait till the last minute to find an alternative? Now knowing we re desperate, everyone will try to rinse us even more.

Sheer incompetence or else there s someone who s only interested in getting x amount out of the club every year.

RUCK4444

The reports coming out around the truth behind the transfer are absolutely embarassing. If it is true, what an utter shambles. Apparently Utd were willing to offer the full asking price in the last couple of days but didn't put the bid in because Dortmund had made it clear they won't accept any bid now. Utd's strategy was apparently to drag it out all along to the end of the deadling expecting Dortmund to take the final offer. But Dortmund refused because Utd took the piss with negotations. Most likely they won't wanna do business with us next summer either when there are other buyers involved. When we were willing to pay the full asking price, what a complete joke they dragged it out trying to win a game of poker.

Feck me. That's depressing Chief.

It's just a huge shame, unforgivable really and in any other walk of life you would expect the person responsible to be sacked.

To waste a whole transfer window, one in which we should have been one of the strongest equipped to get deals done and close the gap to the top two. As I say, unforgivable.

DSG

The reports coming out around the truth behind the transfer are absolutely embarassing. If it is true, what an utter shambles. Apparently Utd were willing to offer the full asking price in the last couple of days but didn't put the bid in because Dortmund had made it clear they won't accept any bid now. Utd's strategy was apparently to drag it out all along to the end of the deadling expecting Dortmund to take the final offer. When we were willing to pay the full asking price, what a complete joke they dragged it out trying to win a game of poker.
I mean, how is that any different from what we know about Ed? There have been reports from good journalists through this transfer period that we have a bunch of clowns in charge of transfers. Preoccupied with sucking up to the owners and scoring points for being “smart” rather than building a football club. A disgrace.

Chief123

I wouldn't be too confident about Liverpool not coming in for him next summer either. They've brought in Thiago and Jota this summer and still made a net profit. They wouldn't need to sell Salah for a 100m fee in order to fund a Sancho purchase. Even if they got 70-80m for Salah they could fund Sancho.

dev1l

Incredible act of incompetence if that s true.

DevilRed

How though?

Swiss ramble had a really detailed thread on it.

Mainly wages have blown up and CL/EPL money isn't exactly a huge jump as its distributed quite evenly.

spiriticon

If this is true, it's laughable. Whatever gave Ed the impression that Dortmund would panic?

Is having Sancho one more year going to bankrupt them? No.

Is him staying likely to increase their CL qualification chances and earn them more money? Yes.

We'll probably get quoted the same price again next year. The only time we'll have an upper hand is when he is finally in the last year of his contract.

Terminator

Unbelievable really isn’t it? A complete open goal and we’ve missed from a yard out. Would only happen to us. Football really does suck at the moment.
I'm shattered. I thought we really turned a corner and would show ambition this summer.

buchansleftleg

I'm pretty sure that Woodward will have pulled one of usual dick moves and that prompted the whole use of intemediaries etc because the trust will have broken down. I can see that he initially agreed to the 120m Euro amount with discussions to continue about how it was "structured" Dortmund will have then expected a brief negotiation around X amount upfront and x number of payments over a reasonable period.

Then Woody will have waltzed back in after agreeing terms with Sancho's people and then start reneging on the original deal, offering add-ons rather than guaranteed payments - making Dortmund pay pending bonuses / agents fees etc.

I think this is why Dortmund started using intermediaries / giving set deadlines...because Woody has destroyed all trust and has salted the earth with yet another club rather than building a positive mutually beneficial relationship.

I don't know any of this for sure but it is the pattern of how he has handled other situations and we know he loves tricky contractual bullshit. We need to get this diseased gargoyle out of the club!

Chief123

Feck me. That's depressing Chief.

It's just a huge shame, unforgivable really and in any other walk of life you would expect the person responsible to be sacked.

To waste a whole transfer window, one in which we should have been one of the strongest equipped to get deals done and close the gap to the top two. As I say, unforgivable.
I mean, how is that any different from what we know about Ed? There have been reports from good journalists through this transfer period that we have a bunch of clowns in charge of transfers. Preoccupied with sucking up to the owners and scoring points for being “smart” rather than building a football club. A disgrace.
Sancho had reportedly refused to train because Utd were confident they would get the deal done with the full asking price bid. Sancho was certain he would be joining which is why there was noise around Ole speaking to Sancho and telling him it's going to be done in the coming days. But Dortmund basically told Utd to eff off. Utd tried to play poker with better poker players. Complete clowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.